Marquette Job Could be Open Soon

SLUDrew

Buzz Williams is rumored to be not only the favorite candidate for the Arkansas job but also the OU job. Granted, going from a middle of the pack Big East job to a middle of the pack Big XII job or a middle of the pack SEC job may seem like a lateral move at best, but both of these programs, especially Arkansas, are expected to throw a lot of money into this.

The Marquette job is probably the only one that Coach Majerus would leave SLU for at this time in his career. Maybe they wouldn't even want him, but when you are a fan of a seemingly snake-bit program you worry about such things.

The OU job isn't the KU job, but it is better than middle of the pack Big 12. They have a pretty good history. They have won the conference three times, made the Elite 8 three times, and made the Final Four all in the last decade. It might be the second best job in the Big 12.

The OU job isn't the KU job, but it is better than middle of the pack Big 12. They have a pretty good history. They have won the conference three times, made the Elite 8 three times, and made the Final Four all in the last decade. It might be the second best job in the Big 12.

You'd have to say Texas is second best, and really, I'm not sure it is not the number one job based on the resources UT has, but certainly on the court and tradition wise KU is the number one.

You'd have to say Texas is second best, and really, I'm not sure it is not the number one job based on the resources UT has, but certainly on the court and tradition wise KU is the number one.

Texas has better resources, but the success just doesn't match the resources.

Buzz Williams is rumored to be not only the favorite candidate for the Arkansas job but also the OU job. Granted, going from a middle of the pack Big East job to a middle of the pack Big XII job or a middle of the pack SEC job may seem like a lateral move at best, but both of these programs, especially Arkansas, are expected to throw a lot of money into this.

The Marquette job is probably the only one that Coach Majerus would leave SLU for at this time in his career. Maybe they wouldn't even want him, but when you are a fan of a seemingly snake-bit program you worry about such things.

-why leave the big east where if you have a .500 conf record you will make the tourney?

-might also be the case in the big 12, but who knows about the new conf structure

Mike Anderson was rumored to be the favorite for the Arkansas position to name one example. Two things happen here:

1). Coaches ask media friends to leak their name so that they can get a pay raise from their current school or because they have interest in the position.

2). Some media types rush to be first with a story instead of correct...and word their stuff so that it would allow them to successfully backpedal when it falls through.

Example: Gary Parrish floated Mike Anderson to Arkansas and talked it up pretty good. He backpedaled when he learned Anderson was at Mizzou Arena Sat watching Otto Porter and recruiting a juco in KS afterwards. It also later became known that Anderson has a clause that says written permission must be granted for another school to talk with him. It also then became known that Anderson told Porter he'd be coaching at Mizzou next year. ...Now many people are backpedalling all over the place.

The same Gary Parrish said Buzz Williams would get offered $3 million for Arkansas.

Some coaches leak their own name to media friends seeking that raise and extension. Others want to be considered for a new opp and ask to put name out there. And third some media say things without facts.

Williams, similar to Anderson would be a likely raise and extension candidate. However, Williams is a TX/OK guy with ties to that part of the country. It'd be easier to compete in other BCS leagues than the Big East. Plus it's easier to recruit and win at state schools than private schools.

I think Williams will be a pay bump and extension as I thought would be the case for Anderson. We'll see.

I just don't see where RM's a hot commodity right now in the coaching carousel. He's 63 and has health issues. What big time school wants a coach who may only be around for 2 to 3 years even if his health issues go away? I know as a Bills fan we've been conditioned to expect the worst, but I don't see RM leaving at this juncture for any high pressure BCS job.

I just don't see where RM's a hot commodity right now in the coaching carousel. He's 63 and has health issues. What big time school wants a coach who may only be around for 2 to 3 years even if his health issues go away? I know as a Bills fan we've been conditioned to expect the worst, but I don't see RM leaving at this juncture for any high pressure BCS job.

He's not. And, he'd never leave SLU for Marquette and Marquette would never be interested in his return. No hard feelings, that's just the way it is...

He's not. And, he'd never leave SLU for Marquette and Marquette would never be interested in his return. No hard feelings, that's just the way it is...

As big as he was at Utah. Marquette remembers when Al Mcguire was the coach. Won a national championship and left it to his assistant coach Hank Raymonds who continued Al's success and brought the team to the NCAA's consistently until he retired and left to it to Rick Majerus who never took the team to the NCAA and led to a string of subpar coaches (Kevin O'neil may be the exception but I personally have never liked him) until Tom Crean arrived. Most Marquette fans like Rick Majerus but they've already been down that road.

As big as he was at Utah. Marquette remembers when Al Mcguire was the coach. Won a national championship and left it to his assistant coach Hank Raymonds who continued Al's success and brought the team to the NCAA's consistently until he retired and left to it to Rick Majerus who never took the team to the NCAA and led to a string of subpar coaches (Kevin O'neil may be the exception but I personally have never liked him) until Tom Crean arrived. Most Marquette fans like Rick Majerus but they've already been down that road.

Times changed, and leagues such as the Big East etc...developed and Marquette fell behind the times.

O'Neill inherited a difficult situation and took their team to the NCAA's and left multiple NCAA teams on the table when he left. He did a lot there.

Marquette lost Crean to Indiana because of money now they are going to lose buzz Williams to another state school because of money.

Why are state schools subsidized when they can throw out that much more money on a basketball coach? I think its foolish so many state schools get the kind of funding they do. I'd rather see more subsidizing in loans where students can go to public or private. Hence the money is attached to the student instead of the university.

Marquette lost Crean to Indiana because of money now they are going to lose buzz Williams to another state school because of money.

Why are state schools subsidized when they can throw out that much more money on a basketball coach? I think its foolish so many state schools get the kind of funding they do. I'd rather see more subsidizing in loans where students can go to public or private. Hence the money is attached to the student instead of the university.

That's actually incorrect. Crean made more at Marquette than Anderson does now at Mizzou. He did get even more money at Indiana but he left without talking with anyone from Marquette. Marquette was never given the opportunity to bump his already very high pay. It's a big reason(how he left) why Marquette fans are mixed in their evaluation of the 9 year Crean period. He didn't even talk to the school President, poof, nobody. He just showed up at the IU presser to be the new coach. He wanted to go to a big state school. He was previously close to taking the Illinois position and he had has name leaked for the UCLA position as well but wasn't considered.

Marquette would bump Williams to $2 million. Money wouldn't be the reason Williams would leave if he ever did. I think you'll see a bump in pay. Extension etc...but we'll see what happens.

Many would argue that a coach, say Calhoun, brings in more money for the state university than the coach actually costs. I have no clue how true that is, but I have heard it argued a lot.

Many would argue that a coach, say Calhoun, brings in more money for the state university than the coach actually costs. I have no clue how true that is, but I have heard it argued a lot.

This was just in the Wall Street Journal:

March Madness may make billions, but for most colleges it doesn't provide nearly enough cash to cover the rapidly escalating costs of running a first-class athletics program. In the 2008-2009 school year, only 13 Division I-A sports programs were in the black, according to research by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity (CCAP). The few financial winners include a handful of this year's tournament participants, including the University of Georgia ($1.8 million in earnings), Purdue ($2.3 million), University of Michigan ($10.6 million) and Texas A&M ($15.8 million). But most schools' athletics programs are actually a major drain on the school's finances. For example, the athletics program at the University of Houston lost $19.8 million in the 2008-2009 fiscal year, SUNY Buffalo (-$20.2 million), Oklahoma State University (-$24.7 million) or Rutgers, where this year's heartbreaking -- and controversial -- loss to St. John's in the Big East tournament follows a financial loss for its athletics department of $25.5 million in the 2008-2009 fiscal year.

So who pays for big-time money losers? Student fees, says Richard Vedder, a professor of economics at Ohio University and the director of CCAP. The average Division I-A program needed $3.4 million in student fees in fiscal year 2009; in the Big 10 Conference, the average student fee subsidy was $383,000, and in the Mid-American Conference the average subsidy was $6.7 million. And because the NCAA's spoils go largely to the winners, students at schools with losing programs end up paying more in fees. "The burden of athletics seems to be falling particularly on the lower-income schools which are sort of wannabe athletic powers," Vedder says.

At many schools, spending on sports is growing twice or three times as fast as spending on academics, according to the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics. Much of the growth is due to coaching staff salaries, which account for a third of overall sports program budgets at the average university or college, says Amy Perko, the Knight Commission's executive director. Division IA football coaches' salaries rose an astounding 46% from 2006 to 2009, to $1.4 million, according to the Knight Commission. And men's basketball coaches aren't too far behind: The average salary for the head coach of a team in last year's March Madness tournament was $1.3 million, excluding benefits, according to a USA Today report.

Not only are coaches' salaries rising, the number of people on the payroll is growing, despite official NCAA rules that allow only three assistant coaches, Perko says. Take a look at who gathers around during tournament timeouts, Perko suggests – you'll likely see more than four staff members. Many programs are hiring staff that essentially serve as assistant coaches but are called things like "director of basketball operations," "director of player development," or "director of recruiting," Perko says.

Mike Anderson was rumored to be the favorite for the Arkansas position to name one example. Two things happen here:

1). Coaches ask media friends to leak their name so that they can get a pay raise from their current school or because they have interest in the position.

2). Some media types rush to be first with a story instead of correct...and word their stuff so that it would allow them to successfully backpedal when it falls through.

Example: Gary Parrish floated Mike Anderson to Arkansas and talked it up pretty good. He backpedaled when he learned Anderson was at Mizzou Arena Sat watching Otto Porter and recruiting a juco in KS afterwards. It also later became known that Anderson has a clause that says written permission must be granted for another school to talk with him. It also then became known that Anderson told Porter he'd be coaching at Mizzou next year. ...Now many people are backpedalling all over the place.

The same Gary Parrish said Buzz Williams would get offered $3 million for Arkansas.

Some coaches leak their own name to media friends seeking that raise and extension. Others want to be considered for a new opp and ask to put name out there. And third some media say things without facts.

Williams, similar to Anderson would be a likely raise and extension candidate. However, Williams is a TX/OK guy with ties to that part of the country. It'd be easier to compete in other BCS leagues than the Big East. Plus it's easier to recruit and win at state schools than private schools.

I think Williams will be a pay bump and extension as I thought would be the case for Anderson. We'll see.

Backhand believes that Mizzou will give Anderson a pay raise upwards of $2MM/year. Backhands source is espn.com.

That's actually incorrect. Crean made more at Marquette than Anderson does now at Mizzou. He did get even more money at Indiana but he left without talking with anyone from Marquette. Marquette was never given the opportunity to bump his already very high pay. It's a big reason(how he left) why Marquette fans are mixed in their evaluation of the 9 year Crean period. He didn't even talk to the school President, poof, nobody. He just showed up at the IU presser to be the new coach. He wanted to go to a big state school. He was previously close to taking the Illinois position and he had has name leaked for the UCLA position as well but wasn't considered.

Marquette would bump Williams to $2 million. Money wouldn't be the reason Williams would leave if he ever did. I think you'll see a bump in pay. Extension etc...but we'll see what happens.

Actually, Cream made more his last year at MU ($2.35 million) than his first year at Indiana. MU will match any offer for Buzz. What they can't match is the lure of home. Buzz went to OCU and his wife is from Oklahoma City, I believe. If his family wants to move closer to home, there is nothing MU can do to stop it. That said, he is very happy at MU. Plus, he has a huge buyout. The number $3.8 million has been floated. Not sure if that is correct. I have heard its very large. In any event, will OU pay it, after coughing up over $2 million for Capel plus give Buzz $2+ million per year? That is a huge investment.

BTW, I don't think Rick would want to come back to MU. He has reconnected with the school over the past few years, but I think there are still some hard feelings.

I just read that Jeff Goodman wrote in is online chat that Rick was unhappy at SLU. I am a little surprised. He seemed energized when he took the job. I wonder if its true.

I just read that Jeff Goodman wrote in is online chat that Rick was unhappy at SLU. I am a little surprised. He seemed energized when he took the job. I wonder if its true.

Yeah, after the Reed/Mitchell debacle, I'd be pretty pissed off as well. That is weak sauce compared to the major NCAA violations that go on at other schools.

BTW, I don't think Rick would want to come back to MU. He has reconnected with the school over the past few years, but I think there are still some hard feelings.

Jeff Goodman said in his chat at foxsports.com: "Rick Majerus will stick at Saint Louis (even though he isn't happy there) and try and get his full squad back. If he does, Majerus could be relevant next year."

I'll add, if he gets his full squad back, Majerus WILL be relevant next year.

Athletic departments aren't subsidized, regardless of how many on this board seem to think they are.

Actually, Cream made more his last year at MU ($2.35 million) than his first year at Indiana. MU will match any offer for Buzz. What they can't match is the lure of home. Buzz went to OCU and his wife is from Oklahoma City, I believe. If his family wants to move closer to home, there is nothing MU can do to stop it. That said, he is very happy at MU. Plus, he has a huge buyout. The number $3.8 million has been floated. Not sure if that is correct. I have heard its very large. In any event, will OU pay it, after coughing up over $2 million for Capel plus give Buzz $2+ million per year? That is a huge investment.

Majerus is happy at SLU. He was not surprisingly unhappy that his two best players were suspended for this past season. This past seasoon being an expected NCAA season if they weren't suspended.

He likes the city, his staff, the players, the people, the food. He didn't like the ruling on the two players and he doesn't like the school President at times, but not many do. He knew there would be ups and downs with him going into the situation. Majerus will be much happier next year with his team back plus his missing two best players, plus a transferring scorer/three point shooter.

No way they would want a guy whose last big time success was 1998; who may quit at any time; who may have a heart attack at anytime; who will be around maybe 3 more years

This one scholarly gentlemen was telling me about how much of a risk it is everytime he gets on an airplane. Imagine how much more risky it would be if he was surrounded by all that cheese.

Majerus is happy at SLU. He was not surprisingly unhappy that his two best players were suspended for this past season. This past seasoon being an expected NCAA season if they weren't suspended.

He likes the city, his staff, the players, the people, the food. He didn't like the ruling on the two players and he doesn't like the school President at times, but not many do. He knew there would be ups and downs with him going into the situation. Majerus will be much happier next year with his team back plus his missing two best players, plus a transferring scorer/three point shooter.

Listening to some of his post season radio interviews, Coach sounds very enthusiastic about next season.

I agree, Rick is the master on playing possum both on and off the court. <_<

And charter flights. RM was hit by a train this year. How could anyone be happy about being in a train wreck?