Majerus on 101.1

ACE

Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

At the beginning of the season I stated that our Bills would struggle to win 16 games and that a repeat appearance in the CBI would signify a good season. Everyone basically called me out, laughed at me and shoved it aside.

I like to look down the road for our program ... not just the next game.

Majerus' health is a major concern. And it could sink the program with transfers and LOI back outs if he has to hang it up. Let's face it, as much as I love Slu and loved going to school there ... these guys did not come to Saint Louis for any other reason except Majerus.

We laughed at and called you out because you posted the same thing over and over and over. It wasn't because you said we would struggle.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how the focus of all this has switched to Willie's academics. I don't doubt that he was on shakey ground, but he WAS eligible going into this season...correct? It seems to me that Willie was being punished for other things, as he obviously had much less involvement in the incident than Mitchell.

I've heard otherwise.

Apologies in these situations are essentially worthless. If the league relly thinks the refs screwed up they ought to be be cut loose or at least suspended for a few games.

Funny how the focus of all this has switched to Willie's academics. I don't doubt that he was on shakey ground, but he WAS eligible going into this season...correct? It seems to me that Willie was being punished for other things, as he obviously had much less involvement in the incident than Mitchell.

No

Barnett is gonna absolutely tear it up next year.

I can hardly imagine the increased speed and fire power adding JB, KM, and possibly Willie to DE, MM, KC. We will no longer be a slow team

I can hardly imagine the increased speed and fire power adding JB, KM, and possibly Willie to DE, MM, KC. We will no longer be a slow team

I've been curious about Barnett. We heard a decent amount about him at the very beginning of the season, he could shoot, 'all conference type player', etc.

I haven't been able to make it to a game yet (not until Xavier, and perhaps tomorrow at Fordham), are there any more definite descriptions of how he is doing in practice, his leadership, scoring ability, quickness, defensive capabilities?

Again, wasn't he practicing with the team? I don't recall reading anything about Willie being ineligible, but maybe I missed something.

he was not officially ineligible yet

he was not officially ineligible yet

I guess I don't follow how that all works. I thought it was based on his grades at the end of the prior semester. I didn't realize you could become academically ineligible during a semester, unless there was some sort of incident.

If WR was indeed going to be ineligible, all of our "what ifs" about this season didn't matter. Sure we'd be better if KM had been playing the full season, but I don't see this as a "big dance" lineup without both KM AND WR.

I guess I don't follow how that all works. I thought it was based on his grades at the end of the prior semester. I didn't realize you could become academically ineligible during a semester, unless there was some sort of incident.

If WR was indeed going to be ineligible, all of our "what ifs" about this season didn't matter. Sure we'd be better if KM had been playing the full season, but I don't see this as a "big dance" lineup without both KM AND WR.

The incident(s) his ineligibility would have been based on happened in the summer semester and just like "the train" hearing the school was not going to rule on it until the fall semester began.

reed and mitchell never practiced officially with the team and coaches before being expelled. the "verdict" came down right before the start of practice.

it is not unusuals for players to be in a bad position academically after the spring semester. missed classes, difficulty handling assignments and testing make it tough to pass a full load during the season. but typically the players concerned make it up over the summer. my understanding is that willie had summer "issues" that resulted in not making it up and indeed would have been academically ineligible for the first semester had the incident verdict not happened.

Completely agree... I am NOW hearing that WR was academically ineligible for the fall semester.

But why was this not known until now? Weren't we led to believe that WR could be eligible as of Jan?

Completely agree... I am NOW hearing that WR was academically ineligible for the fall semester.

But why was this not known until now? Weren't we led to believe that WR could be eligible as of Jan?

my memory was the school only said they would be eligible to apply for readmission to school. i dont think anyone associated with slu ever promised basketball eligibility or even readmittance to slu.

Nobody know how long he would have been ineligible...possibly 2 games, possibly the year. We will never know and it is in the past now.

The incident(s) his ineligibility would have been based on happened in the summer semester and just like "the train" hearing the school was not going to rule on it until the fall semester began.

The fall semester had more than begun before the decision came down. If WR had academic problems in the summer, it should have been handled before the fall semester started or at least very early on.

I'm wondering why there wasn't much talk about WR's acedemic issues last fall.

As I recall, there was some mention here — before the verdict was handed down — that Reed had not be playing pick-up ball or working out with the team. And if he'd been ruled academically ineligible for the first semester, it would have been until the first semester ended AND his first-semester grades came back before he could play again; it certainly wouldn't have been just two games, as one poster suggested. Now that he's been readmitted to SLU, he's basically serving his semester of ineligibility without having it being officially announced as such AND he'll probably get to retain that semester of eligibility through a redshirt (I hope — who knows what the NCAA will say).

As I recall, there was some mention here — before the verdict was handed down — that Reed had not be playing pick-up ball or working out with the team. And if he'd been ruled academically ineligible for the first semester, it would have been until the first semester ended AND his first-semester grades came back before he could play again; it certainly wouldn't have been just two games, as one poster suggested. Now that he's been readmitted to SLU, he's basically serving his semester of ineligibility without having it being officially announced as such AND he'll probably get to retain that semester of eligibility through a redshirt (I hope — who knows what the NCAA will say).

3:20 am? Sleepless nights for us Bills fans...

Discretion perhaps... Now since his readmission requires him to be a student first, they do not have to go through the NCAA to get a waiver. I believe all along that it was known Kwamain could get a waiver but WR would not be able to. Hopefully he achieves this semester, and again in the summer....

As I've posted before, I don't know if WR was academically ineligible per the NCAA progress requirements. However, he was already prohibited from participating in team activities. Items such as weight lifting, the couple of hours a week with coaches, etc. Draw your own conclusions as to why, but mine is that he had not met RM's expectations for being a member of the team. While I am frequently disappointed by RM, his commitment to his players being real student/athletes is highly commendable, in my opinion.

As I've posted before, I don't know if WR was academically ineligible per the NCAA progress requirements. However, he was already prohibited from participating in team activities. Items such as weight lifting, the couple of hours a week with coaches, etc. Draw your own conclusions as to why, but mine is that he had not met RM's expectations for being a member of the team. While I am frequently disappointed by RM, his commitment to his players being real student/athletes is highly commendable, in my opinion.

-RM discusses WR a bit in his interview with bernie on 101,1 today