Afterthoughts

I am rewatching the game on tv. It is frustrating to see this game a second time. I don't know why I torture myself but it is a different perspective on tv, especially in HD. Just a few thoughts.

We lacked serious intensity except CE and BC. Looked like the rest of the team was 3/4 speed; almost looked like they were jogging.

We don't handle the zone D at all. At times I feel like we just pass around the perimeter without purpose.

Officiating was unacceptable. This is not why we lost but can change the tempo and dynamic of the game for sure, especially at the end.

Pick and roll killed us. They made a few lucky shots.

I hate losing and I think I better get used to it because we are going to get smoked in conference play. This season will separate the boys from the men (in terms of loyal Billiken fans).

I am rewatching the game on tv. It is frustrating to see this game a second time. I don't know why I torture myself but it is a different perspective on tv, especially in HD. Just a few thoughts.

We lacked serious intensity except CE and BC. Looked like the rest of the team was 3/4 speed; almost looked like they were jogging.

We don't handle the zone D at all. At times I feel like we just pass around the perimeter without purpose.

Absolutely right. I don't understand why EVERY team we play doesn't employ some sort of zone. We can't shoot and we have no Bigs...

Also, we handle the press like $hit!!! We may break it, but it doesn't look pretty and it is NEVER without that 'Oh crap' moment where we almost turn the ball over.

Because I get so few Billiken TV games being out-of-town fan, I don't think I ever turned off a Billiken game prior to ending.

Well I did yesterday afternoon. I can take losing when they play hard, but yesterdays game they played the most unenthusiastic, lethargic game I witnessed in a long time. I was getting so angry, I had to click it off.

I should also add that the guards consistently pick up the dribble way too early. I think Cassity may be the worst offender.

We just seem passive against a press. There is no reason not to press us as we rarely turn it into points on the other end. If tough to beat a zone when you have no inside scoring threat to keep them sagging inside. It's just too easy to extend the zone out and contest your perimiter shots.

We just seem passive against a press. There is no reason not to press us as we rarely turn it into points on the other end. If tough to beat a zone when you have no inside scoring threat to keep them sagging inside. It's just too easy to extend the zone out and contest your perimiter shots.

I agree. We are passive against the press and never attack it. When we break it, we never push our advantage and try to attack the basket. We always just seem relieved we could get it up court and pull back to pass it around the perimeter thereby letting the defense set its zone. I'd like to see us be able to make them pay for pressing.

Is it just me or does anyone elso see our guards getting beat off the dribble continually without even a pick being set. Our guard defense is pathetic. They cannot guard man to man, they continually need help, the worse defenders are the freshmen.

watching CS on the bench he did not look like he was in the right mindset. Same for DE. They looked upset the entire game that they were not playing or that they were in a huge funk. No emotion and coaches kept having to slap them on the back and tell them to get their head in the game..They are not playing much but with how few players we have off the bench, this is not a good sign.

Also, I am stumped why they didnt play Rob more. yah he is a defensive liability at times but that could have been tolerated. He is a zone buster and has shown some ability to grab rebounds. He should have played more.

It seems to me like we don't practice breaking the press enough. If we did, not only would we be better at breaking it, but we would be better at pressing in a tight situation like we had last night.

You are exactly right. Our press sucks. We also probably play so much man-to-man D in practice that we never see a zone and we would likely be pathetic if we switched to a zone. So our offense struggles with playing the zone as we never practice the zone on D.

If I were scouting I would press all day and zone up everytime.

You are exactly right. Our press sucks. We also probably play so much man-to-man D in practice that we never see a zone and we would likely be pathetic if we switched to a zone. So our offense struggles with playing the zone as we never practice the zone on D.

If I were scouting I would press all day and zone up everytime.

What's disgusting is that we play 3 GUARDS (arguably 3 POINT guards)!!! And we have 'Bigs' who can shoot the 3...We SHOULD be un-pressable and un-zoneable...

I cannot believe that Jordon Crawford (The Bowling Green midget) killed us off the dribble ALL game...He shoots 22% from 3, so what the hell are we doing guarding him so damn close??!! Let him shoot all day. He should have NEVER even had the opportunity to blow by our guards...

What's disgusting is that we play 3 GUARDS (arguably 3 POINT guards)!!! And we have 'Bigs' who can shoot the 3...We SHOULD be un-pressable and un-zoneable...

I cannot believe that Jordon Crawford (The Bowling Green midget) killed us off the dribble ALL game...He shoots 22% from 3, so what the hell are we doing guarding him so damn close??!! Let him shoot all day. He should have NEVER even had the opportunity to blow by our guards...

-i agree, we did not adjust our defense, we should have made him prove he was going to make the 3, instead we played him tight as if he was a legitimate threat from the 3

The reason we did not attack the basket when they zoned us was because we do not have a guard who wants to do it. This was a prime example of missing KM - he would have drove to the basket and either made the shot or got fouled or both. KC did it once MM and JJ did not even try it. Once again what I saw was a the lack of a leader and that will plague us the rest of the way. Same reason we lost those two games in Cancun and lost to Austin Peay as well as Georgia. We can blame the admin for KM and WR situation but who do you blame for the rest of the players being gutless?

At the 10 minute mark of the 1st half, I noted to my seat mates that they were playing like they were hung over. It's tough to play when you party the night before. Don't know if they did, but it looked like it. Long before Majerus got ripped. I expect more vs Dayton.