First Game - thoughts

bk18

Barnett looked like a STUD in warmups. I was more excited about him than the rest of our team. KM, JB, and KC will be the A-10s best backcourt.

The legend of Jake Barnett grows...

in 6 short months his progression on the board has basically been as follows:

- Hmmm, do we really need another guard?

- OK, he scored a bunch for a crappy Toledo team but somebody had to take the shots, right?

- Oooh, he looks pretty good in summer ball

- Nice, Majerus says he is his type of player

- Wow, he looked like he really knew what he was doing in the open scrimmage

- Holy cow, he looked like a STUD in warmups!

Another two weeks pass and we'll be predicting him for all-conference honors in 2012!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- OK, he scored a bunch for a crappy Toledo team but somebody had to take the shots, right?

Another two weeks pass and we'll be predicting him for all-conference honors in 2012!

haha. you know its getting bad when we're talking about how good our transfer looked in warmups

I predict JB for all-conference in 2012. Gotcha by two weeks.

In all honesty, he has size, experience and a lights out jump shot. He will have learned RM's offense and he will have gotten stronger. I really am excited. But, that said, I just have so much excitement from the start of the season that some of it is bound to spill over onto barnett.

In all honesty, he has size, experience and a lights out jump shot. He will have learned RM's offense and he will have gotten stronger. I really am excited. But, that said, I just have so much excitement from the start of the season that some of it is bound to spill over onto barnett.

Plus he gets to practice with the team, so there will be a very little adjustment period...

Maybe some of that Remeken exitement you've been preaching the past 5 months is being transferred to Barnett?!?

Maybe some of that Remeken exitement you've been preaching the past 5 months is being transferred to Barnett?!?

No, Cory is still definitely going to win A-10 player of the year the next three years. But every Malone needs a Stockton, enter Jake Barnett.

No, Cory is still definitely going to win A-10 player of the year the next three years. But every Malone needs a Stockton, enter Jake Barnett.

:lol:

Better be careful NH, some people have a lot of trouble comprehending sarcasm on the internet...of course you're laying it on pretty thick.

:lol:

Better be careful NH, some people have a lot of trouble comprehending sarcasm on the internet...of course you're laying it on pretty thick.

Good point. Roy still thinks I think Barnett is the next Tom Frericks.

Just saying, rick doesn't like to put his players on a pedestal as we know and yet he said JB will likely be all conference at some point (at the students' meet the team dinner). Just saying I think that means something.

I took away a lot from tonight's game, even if it was against weak competition. Here's what's on my mind:

As for crappy player introductions, don't we normally dim the lights and have spot lights and excitement during the regular season? I think they didn't do it tonight because it was just an exhibition, I mean there weren't any timeout promotions or events either except a bad shot for cash. I think once the season starts next week the lights will be down. As for Guy announcing Dwayne Evans on Cardinal Stritch, well, I don't think those mistakes are going away.

The Crowd- bigger than I was expecting. That being said 05, did we reaaaaaally need to yell at Cardinal Stritch's fans tonight? I mean, it was Cardinal Stritch, who seemed to have good, SLU connections. All their fans, who had to have been family members, were even rocking shirts that had the Billiken on them. We could have been better hosts. This was probably their "game of the year"; an opportunity to play at a nice D1 arena.

KC- He was baller out of control tonight.

BC- Was full out Donkey Conklin tonight! Maybe the number of points he put up tonight were an anomaly due to low competition, but I don't think that hustle and relentlessness will be controlled too much by regular season opponents. This will be his best year yet.

PE- nobody has mentioned Paul enough tonight, he was excellent; he even had two blocks. During warm-ups he was draining 3's also, so maybe he can come off the bench and be productive this year. I liked his game tonight.

RL- Great outside shot, but reminded me exactly of WR two years ago. He got pushed around far too easily. So he'll probably need a year to bulk up before he can start dominating. He's an exciting work in progress though

DE- best of the freshman, he's what I hoped FJ would have been.

CR- did not look his best tonight, but that being said I predict his high-top alone is going to win us at least 5 games. He better not cut it all season.

Jett- wish he drove more, but he looked like in a few more games he'll be in control.

MM- he's speedy.

JB- I have had high hopes for him since I saw his stats and saw a video of him on some Toledo news outlet. This kid can ball and might surpass a lot of Kevin Lisch's marks. In warmups all I could think about was how great we'll be NEXT year, which is what I have been saying my entire time at SLU. He was playing "great defense" during shoot-arounds, seemed to be joking around and having fun with all his teammates, and appears to be fully developed. This kid will be lethal.

I am pretty sure that at the dinner with Coach for the student season ticket holders last Thursday that Rick described Barnett as a future all conference type player and went on to say he doesn't say that likely. He could possibly surprise a lot of SLU fans with how good he is next year.

haha. you know its getting bad when we're talking about how good our transfer looked in warmups

I chuckled as well when I read about JB going 7 for 8 in warmups, but didn't want to hurt the poster's feelings. But it does beg the question, is this how much we're discounting the upcoming season? A kid who's not going to play a minute in 10-11 is getting some hype about his shooting percentage in warmups? I wonder if Duke fans were making similar comments about Currie's brother last year after their first ex game?

I saw last night's game as a typical first exhib game. Play the regulars sparingly and give a heavy dose of time to the newcomers so they can actually see first hand what being on the floor is like and give them a chance to get over the jitters. Most of these games are usually ugly with the home team not being up for the game emotionally, the newcomers having lapses of understanding what they were taught in practice and showing flashes at times. We have played teams like this closer and looked worse in the past. Lets not forget that for Diener and his boys, this was a big deal and for us it was something we had to get through. All in all, it was a necessary experience for the team and the fans - first real look at the new guys and a renewing of our connections with the returning players - I was glad to have something tangible to watch regarding Billiken BB.

I was impressed with our free throw shooting - I know some may say "what is he talking about" but the freshmen made their FTs - maybe we have turned the corner on that ugly part of our recent tradition.

Cody - he missed two months of workouts with mono and then had an minor injury that kept him from going full speed in the off season. He looked rusty and I am sure that he will show improvement as the early season progresses.

Loe - he is not slow at all - he needs to improve his footwork as do all young big men. He did seem surprised by the quickness of the opposing players to swipe at the ball in his hands. My guess is that he was expecting little from them and found out that even low level players in the USA got some game. He will improve or sit but he did show as the game went on that he did get better. Once again - the refs did not call fouls inside and that might have led to the ball handling lapses he had. He is not afraid to shoot and I am OK with that as long as he shoots well - in other words, if he starts throwing up bricks then he needs to adjust his approach. He will never be a banger and that is not why he was recruited.

Evans - I was impressed with him. From what some had written about him I was pleasantly surprised. He did make mistakes but generally, he seemed to have a sense of where he was suppose to be and what to do - many freshmen do not have that kind of wits about them early on. Give him time and I think we will be happy to have him.

McCall and Jett - as the game went on they both got more comfortable - they shot more and handled the ball better. McCall - he is a real find - any comparisons to Polk are way off base. That steal he had was a thing of beauty - the guy he stole it from was really pissed. Jett is going to be a good player if given the chance. Both of these guys became more aggressive offensively as the game went on - good signs.

Cory - I was disappointed in him somewhat but one game does not make a season. The same can be said for Brian - he looked good but once again one game does not make a season. Lets revisit these two in January.

Kyle - he was typical Kyle.

Paul - anything we get out of him is plus. Don't count on him but don't forget him either - he will make a few key contributions but they will be cameos.

One question - who was the kid in street clothes who was out there rebounding in the shoot around and standing with the team for the Pledge?

I'll pitch in my 2 cents:

All of the freshman are the "real deal" and all of the hype they have garnered on this board over the last year is warranted. There is some real, real good talent there and the statement that this may be one of the best recruiting classes SLU has ever had may well prove to be true.

RL he got the biggest reception, but probably played the poorest of the 4. He does have a sweet shot though. He just seems a bit timid. I hope that was just him having to constantly think about where he needs to be on the floor as he is learning Rick's program.

JJ His strength is his best asset. Combined with his quickness and he maybe able to take the ball to the rack on a regular basis. He got past his defender on the perimeter and then went chest to chest with their wide body in a pretty good collision and still got his shot off after the tough foul. I think he is going to be real good.

MM He definitely lived up to the billing. He has very long arms and has the ability to fill up some space on d and the speed to get to the hoop on o. He has a real nice looking shot. His 3's will fall--they just skipped out on a couple of them last night. He is going to be real fun to watch.

DE Biggest surprise for me. First of all, RM started him which I found interesting--probably doesn't mean a damn thing, but it was interesting. He can play and I think he will be able to put up some nice numbers come conference time. He is kind of a tweener size and speed wise, but you can tell he has a knack for the ball. He can take slower defenders to the hole and he made a nice 10 ft pull up last night. I'm real excited to watch him play.

BC Monster game. Sure not the toughest opponent, but still 8 for 8 from the field, kind of tough to down play that. I go back to last year's game against Richmond when WR didn't play and BC had to. He had something like 10 points in the first half of that game. He has the ability and now that we absolutely have to have it (as we did agaisnt Richmond last year) I hope he can consistantly deliver. He seemed like more of a beast than usual due to the lack of size of the opponent, but he still showed real good hands and footwork. If he can give us 8 or 10 a game and play good d on their bigs we should all be thrilled, but again I don't think 15-20 point games will be unheard of the rest of the way for him.

CR Obviously, he has a lot of pressure on him to be the next WR. He sure didn't show it last night. towards the end of last season he was a very good player. He made some nice shots around the basket, and was a stud shot blocker. We need him to get back to doing that. I don't know if he is ever going to be able to consistantly post up and score come conference time when he is going to be one of the smallest bigs. Again last year his athleticism allowed him to play bigger than he is and I hope that returns. Maybe the 1988 Bobby Brown due is weighing him down?

CE Well I'll just chalk it up as the first game of the year. He seemed a bit flat and really seemed to be teaching out there. He made a couple of shots. We all know he can put up some big numbers and we will need him to this year.

KC Great 10 minutes. Maybe he puts it all together this year and becomes what few of us ever expected--fingers crossed.

CS Again, first game of the season, but he still isn't making shots and some weren't close. He is still not afraid to shoot though. Eventually those either have to start going in or he has to sit. I actually started to type a whole new thread on him yesterday, but got sidetracked. His d came a long way last year and he become a very solid player. I am still hopeful he is the surprise and the savior of this season. He came in as a highly touted shooter and he showed it a bit early last season. If he can become a 35-40% 3 pt shooter we will win some big games this year. Again, I am hopeful.

PE He may be the replacement for CS if CS doesn't start hitting his shots. PE has a nice stroke. He seems tenacious on D. IT will be interesting to see how the PT plays out. He seems to be a real good option off the bench if anyone is having a bit of an off night. He is the type of player that would have been a starter and relied on heavily 8 years ago.

As a whole, I enjoyed the game. I am sure they are going to have a ton of things to talk about from the game film. They made a bunch of team d and individual d mistakes. That will improve. The shot making ability is either there or it isn't and we seem to have it to a certain degree. We finished 7 for 23 from behind the arc--not great, but not awful. MM's were really close to falling. We will probably live and die behind the arc this year. If we can get hot and stay hot, we can win some big games. I really am trying not to come to terms with we in a "next year" mode yet again. With the youth of our talent, we might just be, but again I am going to stay optimistic about this season until the play on the court leads me to feel otherwise. From what I saw last night in a very limited scope, I am still optimistic.

SIDENOTE: Does anyone in the band ever walk around the building and listen to how things sound? There are mikes placed around the band and certain instruments really get blasted through the PA system and drown out the rest. Many times last night it just sounded like a big jarbled mess. Try sending someone up to sections 208-210 and listen. If you can get it to sound decent there it will sound good everywhere else.

Of course the freshmen were tentative the first half but they looked much better the second half (except for Evans, mature beyond his years and steady throughout). I especially enjoyed watching JJ, MM, Evans, Cody, and Loe out on the court together. At one point, Loe and Cody were on the wing with JJ and Evans in the paint. The ball movement was crisp. That lineup gives us two shooters (Cody and Loe) and two guys who take their man off the dribble (JJ and MM). Evans is the glue guy in that lineup--rebounds, defends, hits the open mid-range jumper. Hope Conk isn't hurt again. He tweaked something late in the game. All in all, this team has one glaring deficiency (no post presence) and is very young at PG but is deeper than I expected. All the scholarship players can contribute this season.

Of course the freshmen were tentative the first half but they looked much better the second half (except for Evans, mature beyond his years and steady throughout). I especially enjoyed watching JJ, MM, Evans, Cody, and Loe out on the court together. At one point, Loe and Cody were on the wing with JJ and Evans in the paint. The ball movement was crisp. That lineup gives us two shooters (Cody and Loe) and two guys who take their man off the dribble (JJ and MM). Evans is the glue guy in that lineup--rebounds, defends, hits the open mid-range jumper. Hope Conk isn't hurt again. He tweaked something late in the game. All in all, this team has one glaring deficiency (no post presence) and is very young at PG but is deeper than I expected. All the scholarship players can contribute this season.

Loe played with his back to the basket the last 6 minutes of the game. He got hamered at first but eventually caught the ball and held on. Probably a new experience for him.

Jake Dickey Barnett