Schedule Details

kshoe

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/article_96b19b28-bbe3-11df-9e2a-00127992bc8b.html

Couple things of note:

- Chicago St. is a home and home game! Apparently it was as close to milwaukee as we could get for Kwamain. Shows you just how difficult scheduling can be when you can't even get home and homes with teams like UW-Milwaukee.

- Passed up a home and home with Seton Hall because we needed/want 18 home games for financial reasons. Kind of kills the theory of some on this board that we lose money on some home games from simply "turning on the lights."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/article_96b19b28-bbe3-11df-9e2a-00127992bc8b.html

Couple things of note:

- Chicago St. is a home and home game! Apparently it was as close to milwaukee as we could get for Kwamain. Shows you just how difficult scheduling can be when you can't even get home and homes with teams like UW-Milwaukee.

- Passed up a home and home with Seton Hall because we needed/want 18 home games for financial reasons. Kind of kills the theory of some on this board that we lose money on some home games from simply "turning on the lights."

Passing up a home and home with Seton Hall was a bad move. They should have took the hit with loss of a home game this year to get a Big East team on the schedule. This now makes scheduling for next year harder.

We better not get blown out at Duke on national TV because that game seems to be the trade off here. We become a buy game for Duke instead of scheduling a home and home with a Big East Catholic school. The kind of program we need to build a relationship if we have any hope of better our conference situation when the Big East implodes.

Passing up a home and home with Seton Hall was a bad move. They should have took the hit with loss of a home game this year to get a Big East team on the schedule. This now makes scheduling for next year harder.

We better not get blown out at Duke on national TV because they seems to be the trade off here. We become a buy game for Duke instead of scheduling a home and home with a Big East Catholic school team. The kind of program we need to build a relationship if we have any hope of better our conference situation when the Big East implodes.

It certainly sheds a new light on the Duke game, that is for sure. Its hard to know if the SH offer was on the table when we decided to go ahead with Duke but still.

The other thing to wonder about is whether they felt they couldn't charge fans $450 for season tics and only provide 17 games. They must feel that way, since the walk-up tics for Rockhurst will be basically none and the only other source of revenue is concessions (maybe this is more than we suspect). I wonder if the average fan (not the billikens.com uber fan) would be happier with 17 games and a home and home with Seton Hall or with 18 games, if the price is the same.

It certainly sheds a new light on the Duke game, that is for sure. Its hard to know if the SH offer was on the table when we decided to go ahead with Duke but still.

The other thing to wonder about is whether they felt they couldn't charge fans $450 for season tics and only provide 17 games. They must feel that way, since the walk-up tics for Rockhurst will be basically none and the only other source of revenue is concessions (maybe this is more than we suspect). I wonder if the average fan (not the billikens.com uber fan) would be happier with 17 games and a home and home with Seton Hall or with 18 games, if the price is the same.

I kind of agree, although it is not like Seton Hall is really that great either. They tend to get beat up by the rest of the Big East. Sounds like Majerus would have rather scheduled SH than play Rockhurst.

I know it sounds like a nice thing to do to schedule Ch St. home and home for KM but do we really need to do that? It is not like SLU is that far away from Milw and Ch St. is not really a home game anyway.

I think the schedule is a heck of a lot better than last year (by design). The RPI is much better overall. We need to beat Georgia at home, b/c Mo St will be tough road game with what they got coming back.

Good article.

Very disapointing learning about the Seton Hall series. They should have taken that over any other game on our schedule. There isn't game better for the program than a home-home with a team like that. Let's hope and assume the offer came in late and committments were already made elsewhere. Seems a shame that we could have had SH but instead were stuck with CHST, TNST, and Rockhurst. No use whining about it now. The only thing that matters now is winning the games that we do have scheduled. As has been stated before this year's schedule is muchbatter than last year's with almost a 50 RPI point better average. Again, just win and everything else is moot.

I kind of agree, although it is not like Seton Hall is really that great either. They tend to get beat up by the rest of the Big East. Sounds like Majerus would have rather scheduled SH than play Rockhurst.

I know it sounds like a nice thing to do to schedule Ch St. home and home for KM but do we really need to do that? It is not like SLU is that far away from Milw and Ch St. is not really a home game anyway.

I think the schedule is a heck of a lot better than last year (by design). The RPI is much better overall. We need to beat Georgia at home, b/c Mo St will be tough road game with what they got coming back.

Ch. St., also, gets into Chicago too for MM, DE, and any other kids we might be recruiting in that city.

Gotta say that the "It's a monster schedule; it's a great schedule for our fans." comment irked me. I know we have issues scheduling, but a Monster Schedule??? c'mon...I don't think anybody here could agree with that. Reminds me a lot of when Soderberg gave himself an "A" after not making the postseason. All in all, I'm not as upset as some regarding the schedule, but we have a LONG way to go before it is a good or even great schedule for our fans.

Gotta say that the "It's a monster schedule; it's a great schedule for our fans." comment irked me. I know we have issues scheduling, but a Monster Schedule??? c'mon...I don't think anybody here could agree with that. Reminds me a lot of when Soderberg gave himself an "A" after not making the postseason. All in all, I'm not as upset as some regarding the schedule be we have a LONG way to go before it is a good or even great schedule for our fans.

Agreed. It was a dumb comment. Especially considering the rest of the article/conversation apparently focused on what we couldn't get done scheduling wise.

Gotta say that the "It's a monster schedule; it's a great schedule for our fans." comment irked me. I know we have issues scheduling, but a Monster Schedule??? c'mon...I don't think anybody here could agree with that. Reminds me a lot of when Soderberg gave himself an "A" after not making the postseason. All in all, I'm not as upset as some regarding the schedule be we have a LONG way to go before it is a good or even great schedule for our fans.

I agree- the 'monster schedule' was quite an overstatement...But, if you take into account our Conference opponents, we do have a pretty respectable schedule...

@ Duke

@ Portland

@ Missouri State (As much as I hate to put them on here, but- 90 RPI last year- and they don't graduate anyone)

@ Temple

@ Xavier

@ Richmond

@ Dayton

Dayton

Xavier

Charlotte

Georgia

Northeastern (75 RPI last year- solid mid-major team in a solid Conference)

Ole Miss (possible)

Even Duquesne and IUPUI will probably end up being a top-100 RPI team...

We could end up playing 16-17 games against RPI Top-100 opponents...as compared to 9-10 last year...I see that as a definite improvement...

Rick Ma and the Billies return to WARM & FREINDLY Olean, New York to play the Brown Indians of St Bonaventure in the end of January. Plans are already underway for the Farmers in the area to fattin up the calfs for Ricks return.

On a lighter note, I have two court side tickets for sale if any of you St Louis fans might be interested. The Country Inn Suites (with heated swimmng pool and jucuzzi) is directly across the street from Bonaventure. Drive time from Buffalo Airport is an hour and a half. If you have never been in the area it truly is a very pretty part of the country with the SBU campus nestled in the foothills of the Enchanted Mountains. For you Skiers it is a midweek game and Holiday Valley Ski Resort is 20 minutes away- best time to go with NO lines.

"I stand ready to play anybody, at any time," Majerus said. "We always begin with asking Missouri. ... It would be good for basketball in Missouri. It would be very lucrative for Missouri and St. Louis. It would be a grand slam, it would touch all the bases. At Utah, we played every Utah school. At Ball State, we played Purdue twice, we finally got Indiana on the schedule. Notre Dame wouldn't play us. We're open to play."

I like this quote, but agree the "monster schedule" one is not right. This one puts it out there yet again that SLU is trying to get this series going and that it would be good for both programs.

Couple things of note:

first bolded statement above comment:

starting to wonder if rickma even has any friends out there or has more enemies. my gosh, if wisconsin-milwaukee wont take a home and away series somethings wrong. no way that is a lose scenario for them as i am sure they are in the same boat of trying to get decent home and away games to present to season ticket holders also.

second bold statement above:

dont you think this has more to do with fulfilling a certain number of games to justify a season ticket? i mean i write a check for almost $4,000 i want to get some games for that beyond 8 conference games. the quality would be nice, but there is a certain amount of quanity that has to be there regardless or you cant sell season tickets at the price they sell imo.

I know I have for one have shown the math on why a home game against anybody is better financially for SLU then a road one as even a buy game. If memory serves me right, we stand to make in the neighborhood of 150K for a home game minus payment for operating the garage and the ushers. Add in the 50/50 and some other sales gains of items and the Athletic Dept can not give a home game away even to get a buy pay check.

As far as playing Chicago St. - would have rather not give them a home game but if the choice was that to get KM then I take the KM and the game.

The Seton Hall issue is a little troublesome but my guess is they can get that game again either next year or the following one.

As far as RM having friends - that is not the issue - we all know that when it comes to business, coaches only care about one thing - THEMSELVES. If it works to give us a game because you know RM the all the better but they would not do it if they did not see a benefit for them.

Quite frankly, I am a little tired of all this whining over the schedule - RM never said that he had all these favors to call in to get games it was something some on the Board just concocted in their heads. It is not like SLU is not trying - unlike Pinkel who refuses to play anybody of note in his non-conf. schedule.

I know I have for one have shown the math on why a home game against anybody is better financially for SLU then a road one as even a buy game. If memory serves me right, we stand to make in the neighborhood of 150K for a home game minus payment for operating the garage and the ushers. Add in the 50/50 and some other sales gains of items and the Athletic Dept can not give a home game away even to get a buy pay check.

As far as playing Chicago St. - would have rather not give them a home game but if the choice was that to get KM then I take the KM and the game.

The Seton Hall issue is a little troublesome but my guess is they can get that game again either next year or the following one.

As far as RM having friends - that is not the issue - we all know that when it comes to business, coaches only care about one thing - THEMSELVES. If it works to give us a game because you know RM the all the better but they would not do it if they did not see a benefit for them.

Quite frankly, I am a little tired of all this whining over the schedule - RM never said that he had all these favors to call in to get games it was something some on the Board just concocted in their heads. It is not like SLU is not trying - unlike Pinkel who refuses to play anybody of note in his non-conf. schedule.

-quality post Cheese, very high quality, and i feel the same as your opening sentence to your last point

-and to echo other comments, i would have a game with a team from Chi every year

-i do wonder if rick can guilt mizzou into a series, but to that end we are not playing semo or umkc

I think a lot of guys are being too hard on this schedule. It is pretty decent compared to last year; we can lose a bunch early, there are a lot of mid-level teams that will be giving us big trouble, unless we are way better than I think we are. I love our freshman class but like every year, I'll believe it when I see it on the court. They are going to be terrific juniors and seniors, but I'm not convinced they can come in 2 months from now and be impact freshmen -- maybe as a group, I hope, but we'll see.

That said, we can easily lose a lot of those OOC games that nobody is touting. Plus some of those teams may be much better RPI - wise as the season progresses. I'm talking about games like Portland, IUPUI, Jacksonville, Georgia, Mo State, Northeastern, Southern Miss, Ole Miss (if both teams win); BGSU; then a very tough opening of the A10 season with Dayton, at Temple, at Duquesne.

Guys, that is actually pretty tough-- I think we are improving but get real, that's 12 tough games (not even counting Duke on the road!) in the first 2 months, with a lot of dark horses in there, sorry to say it, we can lose a lot of those games; at the very least I bet many of those are either solid 10- point losses on the road, or else come down to the final 2 minutes, whoever makes a shot wins kind of games.

I hope we win at least 6 of those, and if really good, maybe we can take 9 or 10. The tourney in Mexico is a prime example -- it is no picnic, though it would be for a really top team (our goal)--so maybe I'm wrong and we just magically walk through that "below-standard" tourney. We got killed last year on neutral court games in a tourney, as I recall.

I'm not even counting Duke, but that would be like the Louisville game when Marquis scored at the end. when was that? 5-6 years ago??

I'm not thrilled to be playing a road game at Chicago St, but that is exactly the kind of road win we should be getting by next year. RM is doing a favor for KM, and it gives us some small exposure in Chicago. It's not ideal, but there are very good reasons for doing so.

Is it just me? Why not Chicago Loyola for the Chicago team - for KM's home game? At least they are Jesuit and a former conference rival. At RPI 347, Chicago State is not exactly a powerhouse. I understand that DePaul is hiding from us but Chicago State is not the only option.

I think a lot of guys are being too hard on this schedule. It is pretty decent compared to last year; we can lose a bunch early, there are a lot of mid-level teams that will be giving us big trouble, unless we are way better than I think we are. I love our freshman class but like every year, I'll believe it when I see it on the court. They are going to be terrific juniors and seniors, but I'm not convinced they can come in 2 months from now and be impact freshmen -- maybe as a group, I hope, but we'll see.

That said, we can easily lose a lot of those OOC games that nobody is touting. Plus some of those teams may be much better RPI - wise as the season progresses. I'm talking about games like Portland, IUPUI, Jacksonville, Georgia, Mo State, Northeastern, Southern Miss, Ole Miss (if both teams win); BGSU; then a very tough opening of the A10 season with Dayton, at Temple, at Duquesne.

Guys, that is actually pretty tough-- I think we are improving but get real, that's 12 tough games (not even counting Duke on the road!) in the first 2 months, with a lot of dark horses in there, sorry to say it, we can lose a lot of those games; at the very least I bet many of those are either solid 10- point losses on the road, or else come down to the final 2 minutes, whoever makes a shot wins kind of games.

I hope we win at least 6 of those, and if really good, maybe we can take 9 or 10. The tourney in Mexico is a prime example -- it is no picnic, though it would be for a really top team (our goal)--so maybe I'm wrong and we just magically walk through that "below-standard" tourney. We got killed last year on neutral court games in a tourney, as I recall.

I'm not even counting Duke, but that would be like the Louisville game when Marquis scored at the end. when was that? 5-6 years ago??

You hope we can win 6 out of conference? Really.

Our freshman will contribute, but all we lost was JJ and Smith. We will get Paul back and I would think his experience would at least offset JJ. So even if the world fell apart and our frosh do absolutely nothing we can start WR, BC, CE, KC, and KM or WR, CE, KC, CS, and KM. We have 3 locks to score in double figures. There is absolutely no way Cody isn't better than he was at any time last year as he'll be in shape and won't be just stepping off the plane. Take the first 5, WR, BC, CE, KC, KM. We'd have CS and PE backing up the guards and CR backing up the 4 and 5. I think we could be at the very least an NIT team, and quite possibly a tourney team with just those 8 and whatever walk-ons we'd have.

For the first time in a long time we have a damn good team with no contributions from freshman.

Our freshman will contribute, but all we lost was JJ and Smith. We will get Paul back and I would think his experience would at least offset JJ. So even if the world fell apart and our frosh do absolutely nothing we can start WR, BC, CE, KC, and KM or WR, CE, KC, CS, and KM. We have 3 locks to score in double figures. There is absolutely no way Cody isn't better than he was at any time last year as he'll be in shape and won't be just stepping off the plane. Take the first 5, WR, BC, CE, KC, KM. We'd have CS and PE backing up the guards and CR backing up the 4 and 5. I think we could be at the very least an NIT team, and quite possibly a tourney team with just those 8 and whatever walk-ons we'd have.

For the first time in a long time we have a damn good team with no contributions from freshman.

I agree with skip here. This team/program is running out of reasons to not win a lot of games.

-quality post Cheese, very high quality, and i feel the same as your opening sentence to your last point

-and to echo other comments, i would have a game with a team from Chi every year

-i do wonder if rick can guilt mizzou into a series, but to that end we are not playing semo or umkc

I'd rather play DePaul

no that's not quite what I said. I DO hope we can win at least 6 out of those 12 pretty tough games listed; I am rooting for 9 or 10. that includes the first 3 conference games, basically the first 2 months or so. How many of those 12 do you predict? if pinned down, I guess I'll say 8.

all the other OOC games should be wins, roughly 4 or 5. if we won 8 of those tough ones listed, that give us 12 or 13 wins by DuQ. is that pessimistic? I doubt it. that would give us 15 or so games left, meaning if we win 10 we might make the dance.

frankly I hope everyone is correct in seeing this year as a jump to light speed year for the program. we'll see. I'm just trying to recognize we still may be a year away.

One comment I think is really good: we are good even with almost no contributions from freshmen --so whatever they give us is a real bonus--for the first time since -- ??? ever?

Is it just me? Why not Chicago Loyola for the Chicago team - for KM's home game? At least they are Jesuit and a former conference rival. At RPI 347, Chicago State is not exactly a powerhouse. I understand that DePaul is hiding from us but Chicago State is not the only option.

obviously you have not been reading this board for the last three years. apparently we have no options scheduling any longer. and this is the best we can get. loyola would have judged a home game with us as a loser for their rpi or something along those lines.

no that's not quite what I said. I DO hope we can win at least 6 out of those 12 pretty tough games listed; I am rooting for 9 or 10. that includes the first 3 conference games, basically the first 2 months or so. How many of those 12 do you predict? if pinned down, I guess I'll say 8.

all the other OOC games should be wins, roughly 4 or 5. if we won 8 of those tough ones listed, that give us 12 or 13 wins by DuQ. is that pessimistic? I doubt it. that would give us 15 or so games left, meaning if we win 10 we might make the dance.

frankly I hope everyone is correct in seeing this year as a jump to light speed year for the program. we'll see. I'm just trying to recognize we still may be a year away.

One comment I think is really good: we are good even with almost no contributions from freshmen --so whatever they give us is a real bonus--for the first time since -- ??? ever?

Just to add, Chicago State has an RPI of 343 out of 347 (9-23 record) -- only 4 teams worse in D1 basketball -- while Chicago Loyola has an RPI of 220 (14-16 record). Did I mention that Chicago Loyola is a Jesuit school and that we used to be in the same conference with them??

-i guess they were the only program that would sign a contract so continuing to guess they were the only option that fit