ESPN recognizing our mad recruiting

The ultimate spoon recruit had to be Sekue Barantine. He didn't even start on his juco team and had terrible numbers. Spoon gave him a scholarship because he was desperate for a center and the juco center he thought he was going to get backed out of his verbal. Even in that situation, to only come up with a juco backup is pretty pathetic.

sekue at least eventually played and contributed. hardin never wore a billiken uniform as he redshirted one year while on a failed jenny craig attempt and then last seen at a church's fried chicken on kingshighway never to be seen again.

according to the media guide cranford only got into 7 games and scored a career billiken total of 13 points. he then was sentenced to a college somewhere in maine where he had to work for tuition changing drain buckets on a maple tree for a syrup company that sponsored his remaining basketball career.

that all said, sekue was bad. seemed to fall a lot.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sekue at least eventually played and contributed. hardin never wore a billiken uniform as he redshirted one year while on a failed jenny craig attempt and then last seen at a church's fried chicken on kingshighway never to be seen again.

according to the media guide cranford only got into 7 games and scored a career billiken total of 13 points. he then was sentenced to a college somewhere in maine where he had to work for tuition changing drain buckets on a maple tree for a syrup company that sponsored his remaining basketball career.

Yeah,but Sekue sure could run.

i think mitchell is our best player. i think mitchell is our best lead guard. i think of a marque perry with better shooting skills. i do not think mitchell is an exceptional point guard. he will never be confused with h waldman. like i said, think perry. and perry ended up playing wing. not because he didnt have ball skills. perry had fabulous ball skills. he just had more of a scorer's makeup than a point guard makeup. and mitchell is the same way.

Good post Roy. This is the way I see it as well. The competition at the guard spots is going to fierce. Our biggest need last year on the offensive end was someone who could knock down the three ball on a consistent basis. Im hoping we have 3 or 4 players in the 35-40% range next season. That might be asking a lot but if this happens we will be very tough to beat.

Ricky Cranford wound up at Northeastern and earned 3rd team all-conference honors.

Nice description of the situation.

My statement earlier wasn't a shot at KM. He is our best player. It is just it was becoming clear he is becoming more of a two in the offense than a one. That said, the ball will be in his hands at the end of the game.

Same with me. KM is our best player and my favorite current Bill.

Just to be clear WR is not a true 3.

Ricky Cranford wound up at Northeastern and earned 3rd team all-conference honors.

not sure if that is an endorsement of a missed slu opportunity or a statement of the worth of the colonial conference in the 90's?

we were all told that ricky was the nyc scoring leader his senior year (albeit he was about 25 years old as a senior in high school) so obviously he at one time before and after slutime knew where to find the basket. as a billiken he looked like the kid in gym class forced to play a team game but would have much rather been working on his math homework.

we sure have had some wonderful one and done slu players over the years. taj loves to talk about donnie atkins. best midnight madness performance every never to see the floor.

i also remember the memorable midnight madness first impression where jj haliburton led the team onto the floor with a couple of flips remindful of ozzie smith opening day events. jj's feet never left the floor much after that though either and was gone the next season.

junie jeffries was a spoon bench warmer for a couple of years. career ppg 0.9. this was during a time we were starved for inside play as well and my memory says he was about 6'8" or thereabouts.

box in won's favorite was obi "i ate my sister" ikeakor. i say soderberg's biggest failed recruit ever. that guy just kept getting bigger and bigger and worse and worse.

who can forget andrew latimer from the romar days? just horrible and really had me gunshy about australia for years. not until cody proved australia really has nice players too did i recover from lattimer.

and willie you are right, as long as he stayed vertical, sekue was indeed a gazelle!

Good points Taj. Agree with nearly all.

BTW, and not directed at Taj, but when did the definition of a really good PG become "a pass first" PG? Guess I missed that post. ;)

Not taking anything away from H, and not saying KM is better than H, but a PG's job sure gets easier dishing the ball off to Claggs and Highmark (as Jrs. and Srs.). If H instead had last year's KC and CS as his options, believe H would have decided to keep the ball and shoot it himself more as well.

I don't think anyone said or meant that KM isn't a real good pg. I think what we are saying is he isn't the traditional pass first pg. I think both can be successfull and I'm sure there are examples of both. This started with the recruitment of Jett who was described as a true pass first pg and some were questioning why he was recruited while others felt he filled a need we didn't currently have. I'm one of those.

Personally, I like the traditional pg who's main role is to set up his teammates ala Magic, Cousy, Stockton, Kidd, etc .... all these players could score when needed, but their main role was to run the offense and put their teammates in the best position to score. They see the game differently then most players. It's something I personally don't see in KM.

we sure have had some wonderful one and done slu players over the years. taj loves to talk about donnie atkins. best midnight madness performance every never to see the floor.

i also remember the memorable midnight madness first impression where jj haliburton led the team onto the floor with a couple of flips remindful of ozzie smith opening day events. jj's feet never left the floor much after that though either and was gone the next season.

junie jeffries was a spoon bench warmer for a couple of years. career ppg 0.9. this was during a time we were starved for inside play as well and my memory says he was about 6'8" or thereabouts.

box in won's favorite was obi "i ate my sister" ikeakor. i say soderberg's biggest failed recruit ever. that guy just kept getting bigger and bigger and worse and worse.

who can forget andrew latimer from the romar days? just horrible and really had me gunshy about australia for years. not until cody proved australia really has nice players too did i recover from lattimer.

and willie you are right, as long as he stayed vertical, sekue was indeed a gazelle!

Junie played for Rich Grawer. Had some injuries which plagued him.

my favorite FAT BILLIKEN sighting was when i saw va'shun newborne and his main ***** at ghetto schnucks at like 3 in the morning on a school night. he had his arm around her, carrying two bags of pork rinds in the other hand, and she was was carrying a gallon of chocolate ice cream. you know they went home and housed all of that and then had a 1/4 ton of FAT SEX until the sun came up. true story.

Don't forget Paul Nondas, Roy! The man behind Spoon's famous quip: "I always thought I'd lose a player to the draft someday. I just didn't know it would be to the Greek army."

One of my fraternity brothers always refered to Barentine as "Suck-eue," and I think of that nickname whenever his name gets brought up.

I actually thought Halliburton could have been halfway decent, but maybe my memory of his one year with the Bills is fuzzy. His issue was grades, IIRC.

my favorite FAT BILLIKEN sighting was when i saw va'shun newborne and his main ***** at ghetto schnucks at like 3 in the morning on a school night. he had his arm around her, carrying two bags of pork rinds in the other hand, and she was was carrying a gallon of chocolate ice cream. you know they went home and housed all of that and then had a 1/4 ton of FAT SEX until the sun came up. true story.

This is glorious. I hope they bought a plastic tarp as well.

not sure if that is an endorsement of a missed slu opportunity or a statement of the worth of the colonial conference in the 90's?

we were all told that ricky was the nyc scoring leader his senior year (albeit he was about 25 years old as a senior in high school) so obviously he at one time before and after slutime knew where to find the basket. as a billiken he looked like the kid in gym class forced to play a team game but would have much rather been working on his math homework.

Not against the best competition, but he did average 16 points per game one season at Northeastern. Unfortunately, we have had many worse recruiting targets over the years.

Don't forget Paul Nondas, Roy! The man behind Spoon's famous quip: "I always thought I'd lose a player to the draft someday. I just didn't know it would be to the Greek army."

One of my fraternity brothers always refered to Barentine as "Suck-eue," and I think of that nickname whenever his name gets brought up.

I actually thought Halliburton could have been halfway decent, but maybe my memory of his one year with the Bills is fuzzy. His issue was grades, IIRC.

If I recall, JJ Halliburton was about the same size Dwayne Polk who was probably even shorter than Justin Jordan.

Another guy named JJ -- not to be confused with JJ (Jett), JJ (Jordan), JJ (Jamal Johnson). Who am I leaving out?

If I recall, JJ Halliburton was about the same size Dwayne Polk who was probably even shorter than Justin Jordan.

Another guy named JJ -- not to be confused with JJ (Jett), JJ (Jordan), JJ (Jamal Johnson). Who am I leaving out?

Don't forget Kstate's sloppy seconds: Justin Johnson

Barentine was one of the worst I have seen in a Billiken uniform and I have seen plenty of bad ones over the years. Surprisingly Charlie had a number of big recruiting blunders. Horace Dixon would rival Obi for Soderberg's worst. Husak would have been up there, but he somewhat redeemed himself in his 5th year. Brad had his share of bad recruits, including Anthony Mitchell. Couldn't make a shot beyong a layup.