ESPN recognizing our mad recruiting

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Saint Louis Billikens

Recruits: four | ESPNU 100: none

Give coach Rick Majerus lesser players and he will find a way to beat his opponents. Give him equal or better players and he will win big. The latter is about to be the case as Majerus and Co. have signed a dynamite class. Power forward Rob Loe (Auckland, N.Z./Westlake), the top player in New Zealand's 2010 class, was a highly coveted post, while Jordair Jett (St. Paul, Minn./Notre Dame Prep) gives Majerus an intelligent point guard to run his team."

Grade: B+, above A10'ers Dayton (B) and LaSalle (Honorable Mention)

"Saint Louis Billikens

Give coach Rick Majerus lesser players and he will find a way to beat his opponents. Give him equal or better players and he will win big. The latter is about to be the case as Majerus and Co. have signed a dynamite class. Power forward Rob Loe (Auckland, N.Z./Westlake), the top player in New Zealand's 2010 class, was a highly coveted post, while Jordair Jett (St. Paul, Minn./Notre Dame Prep) gives Majerus an intelligent point guard to run his team."

I wonder why Xavier wasnt in there?

"Saint Louis Billikens

Poor quality research I have come to expect from ESPN on non-top 25 type programs. It seems clear that the author still is looking at the Jr. year ratings of MM. If not, he clearly would have been mentioned-same with the greatly improved DE. I don't see the props being given to JJ, especially since it appears that the writer thinks JJ will come "to run (the) team." Sorry, but I think KM will continue to RUN the team for 2 more years!

I wonder why Xavier wasnt in there?

Probably because they are listed as an "On the Cusp" team in the regular Top 25 recruiting classes which is more impressive than a "Best of the Rest" list.

Poor quality research I have come to expect from ESPN on non-top 25 type programs. It seems clear that the author still is looking at the Jr. year ratings of MM. If not, he clearly would have been mentioned-same with the greatly improved DE. I don't see the props being given to JJ, especially since it appears that the writer thinks JJ will come "to run (the) team." Sorry, but I think KM will continue to RUN the team for 2 more years!

I expect KM to continue to get more minutes at the 2 spot just like he did last year.

I expect KM to continue to get more minutes at the 2 spot just like he did last year.

Don't you think our best chance to win would be with KM running the show at the one. Or at least having him and KC as the 1 and 2.

IMO, it doesn't make sense to play KM at the 2 unless it is to save his legs.

Don't you think our best chance to win would be with KM running the show at the one. Or at least having him and KC as the 1 and 2.

There is no doubt that KM will be THE point guard on this team

Fully agree. Talk about KM being a 2 in a PG's body is ridiculous. KM is our PG.

Fully agree. Talk about KM being a 2 in a PG's body is ridiculous. KM is our PG.

"Ridiculous" is a little strong. More times than not, he did not bring the ball down the floor. He was not stationed at the top of the key. In the offense, he tends to catch the ball on the wing and then run the pick and roll looking to score.

I think he shared PG duties with Kyle. That guard tandem works well - he likes to score and Kyle likes to pass.

"Ridiculous" is a little strong. More times than not, he did not bring the ball down the floor. He was not stationed at the top of the key. In the offense, he tends to catch the ball on the wing and then run the pick and roll looking to score.

I am almost positive that KM brought the ball down the floor more than anybody else. He initiated the offense a lot of the time. And actually KC and CS ran the pick and roll more than KM did from the wing at least.

Just because KM was not afraid to score, and a lot of his points came at the end of games when we needed someone to step up, does not mean he is not a pure point. His turnovers were higher because he sometimes forced the issue, but if we had more people who could create their own shot late in a game, he wouldnt have had to. Next year, hopefully KM will not be relied upon as much to score. He can play PG better than anybody else on the team, and if we have people around him who can step up and score, then he will be able to do that.

I am almost positive that KM brought the ball down the floor more than anybody else. He initiated the offense a lot of the time. And actually KC and CS ran the pick and roll more than KM did from the wing at least.

not once the conference season began. cassity primarily brought the ball down the floor and got things started.

not once the conference season began. cassity primarily brought the ball down the floor and got things started.

Only when we were trying to conserve KM's legs. And I don't think Cassity "primarily" brought it down.

I have heard from multiple sources that KM could get a good amount of minutes at the 2, while Jett plays point next year. I don't think there's any arguing who our PG is, but at the same time if a line up with KM and Jett both in makes us quicker, and able to do more things, I'm not against it.

I have heard from multiple sources that KM could get a good amount of minutes at the 2, while Jett plays point next year. I don't think there's any arguing who our PG is, but at the same time if a line up with KM and Jett both in makes us quicker, and able to do more things, I'm not against it.

So where is McCall, who until recently was our prize recruit that everyone couldn't wait to pair-up with Mitchell, going to get his minutes? Seems to me if you're playing Mitchell at the 2 and Jett at the 1 a good amount of minutes, there isn't much for MM.

So where is McCall, who until recently was our prize recruit that everyone couldn't wait to pair-up with Mitchell, going to get his minutes? Seems to me if you're playing Mitchell at the 2 and Jett at the 1 a good amount of minutes, there isn't much for MM.

Especially when you throw in Cassity and Salecich.

We need guards who can shoot. That is one reason why I am higher on McCall than Jett.

In a year where we have our best chance to make the tournament in a while, do we really want to trust the PG duties to a freshman? We finally have the luxury of upperclassmen—let's take advantage of that luxury. KM is our best, most experienced PG, let him play PG.

Haha, I guess those decisions are what Rick gets paid for. The only reason I think Jett will get more minutes than McCall at first is because he spent a year at a prep school. If MM can play like we are hopefully, I'd bet he'll get minutes.

If KM is our best pure pg lets hope he makes considerable improvement in finding the open man and protecting the ball next year. Name me all the pg's who lead their team in scoring and not in assists. I guarantee you there isn't many. KM wasn't even close to the top 10 in the conference in assists or assist to t/o ratio but he was in the top 10 in scoring, fg%, and 3 pt fg%.

Of course you may be right B) but the stats say otherwise. So if you are, lets hope he's working hard over the summer we need much better from him next year.

Especially when you throw in Cassity and Salecich.

None of us have seen these new guys play so it's all conjecture, but I would be surprised if Jett is anything more than a backup for the point. I would expect MM to be in the 7-8 man rotation. Competition for playing time should be fierce.

None of us have seen these new guys play so it's all conjecture, but I would be surprised if Jett is anything more than a backup for the point. I would expect MM to be in the 7-8 man rotation. Competition for playing time should be fierce.

i have always been amused by summer debates on playing time and contributions of incoming players that most have never seen except maybe a 20 second youtube video.

you young whippersnappers should have seen new york city legends ricky cranford and greg hardin in their day. B)

We need guards who can shoot. That is one reason why I am higher on McCall than Jett.

In a year where we have our best chance to make the tournament in a while, do we really want to trust the PG duties to a freshman? We finally have the luxury of upperclassmen—let's take advantage of that luxury. KM is our best, most experienced PG, let him play PG.

KM will continue to play the pg the majority of minutes unless Jett is spectacular early, however, the offense will continue to flow through Kyle when he is on the floor with KM.

The good thing is that no matter what you want to call any of them minutes at the guard spots are going to be hard to come by with quality players backing up the players who do get the majority of minutes.

Btw in conference play Kyle was 6th in the A10 in Ass-t/o ratio at 2.0 and 9th in assists at 3.8. KM wasn't anywhere to be found on the conference assists or ass-t/o ratio list. However, he was 8th in scoring.

If KM is our best pure pg lets hope he makes considerable improvement in finding the open man and protecting the ball next year. Name me all the pg's who lead their team in scoring and not in assists. I guarantee you there isn't many. KM wasn't even close to the top 10 in the conference in assists or assist to t/o ratio but he was in the top 10 in scoring, fg%, and 3 pt fg%.

Of course you may be right B) but the stats say otherwise. So if you are, lets hope he's working hard over the summer we need much better from him next year.

If you looked at KM's stats in the last five minutes of games, you would see that the points go way up, the assists are way down and the turnovers are way up.

When he has other guys who can create their own shots as I hope he will next year, I bet his assists are much higher and his points are down.

If you look at his freshman year, he was in the top ten in the league in APG. Did he lose those skills last year? No. he simply had to focus more on scoring because we lost KL and TL. Next year, he can go back to dishing out the assists while also shooting a high percentage.

i have always been amused by summer debates on playing time and contributions of incoming players that most have never seen except maybe a 20 second youtube video.

you young whippersnappers should have seen new york city legends ricky cranford and greg hardin in their day. B)

Cranford was the best player I ever saw at dribbling for 15 seconds and not moving 1 inch.