Conversations with Players

As many of the posters on here know I rarely have anything serious to say on this message board. However I really need to get my thoughts on this matter off my chest.

I have noticed over the past season there have been many people, mostly students, who have come on here who have friendly relationships with players and speak to them often or occasionally about the team. They then bring what these players tell them to Billikens.com and post it as insider information, sometimes even citing the player by name. In my humble opinion it is quite the breach of privacy and just unethical to bring a conversation that, to the player, was private. Now I have asked Willie about the free throws and chanting then posted his answer on the board. IMO that is a completely different situation. It was about making Willie comfortable when he was on the court, specifically at the line. I would liken that to asking Kwamain if he minded us doing the "Kwamain" chant.

This is all my opinion and I realize that people will continue to relay private conversations with players to this board and I'll have to deal with that. However, I urge posters to keep private conversations with players private, especially when it's about transferrin, team chemistry, or other internal team matters.

Thanks I'll shut up know,

OhFive

As many of the posters on here know I rarely have anything serious to say on this message board. However I really need to get my thoughts on this matter off my chest.

I have noticed over the past season there have been many people, mostly students, who have come on here who have friendly relationships with players and speak to them often or occasionally about the team. They then bring what these players tell them to Billikens.com and post it as insider information, sometimes even citing the player by name. In my humble opinion it is quite the breach of privacy and just unethical to bring a conversation that, to the player, was private. Now I have asked Willie about the free throws and chanting then posted his answer on the board. IMO that is a completely different situation. It was about making Willie comfortable when he was on the court, specifically at the line. I would liken that to asking Kwamain if he minded us doing the "Kwamain" chant.

This is all my opinion and I realize that people will continue to relay private conversations with players to this board and I'll have to deal with that. However, I urge posters to keep private conversations with players private, especially when it's about transferrin, team chemistry, or other internal team matters.

OhFive

Feel better?

OhFive

Frankly, I have a hard time believing that these alleged conversations actually took place.

OhFive

05 I agree with you. I think people need to use good judgement when posting. A person could have a conversation with Larry, RM, an assistant coach, the AD, a player, a player's relative, or other key people in the program and post that information on this board which in some cases would result in a breach of confidence. Not judging, but if a person uses this board to make others believe them to be important because of who they know it can result in someone being hurt as well as the program. I would be very careful about posting things that are from private conversations. At minimum, it could effect the quality of future private conversations.

I agree with you in many respects...

However, I do think there is a time and a place for things to be brought to this board straight from the players mouth. Also, its a message board where information is shared about the team... If the player requests the information to be confidential then keep it quiet. If they are telling multiple people the information however, clearly its not meant to be that big of a secret.

I agree that people need to respect others' privacy wishes, but keep in mind that message boards are largely built around this kind of second-hand information. The analysis and debate is great, but ultimately most users check the board regularly in hopes of reading some "inside" information. In fact, the traditional media ins't much better.

I agree that people need to respect others' privacy wishes, but keep in mind that message boards are largely built around this kind of second-hand information. The analysis and debate is great, but ultimately most users check the board regularly in hopes of reading some "inside" information. In fact, the traditional media ins't much better.

I think it depends upon the nature of the conversation. If a player is sitting at a full table in the student center and blurts out, "I'm leaving SLU", it's obvious he's making an announcement of sorts. If he tells his roommate or BF in confidence he's transferring and adds don't tell anyone because I haven't made it official, that's a breach of trust and the player should be more careful who he hangs with. Obviously boards like this eat up the "inside" dope since coaches everywhere are telling their players to keep a lid on team matters.

Agree. Don't believe anyone wants inside information NOT to be posted. Seems more that '05 is concerned about the manner in which some info has been posted recently. Seems to me, the same information can be expressed on this Board in a less direct or blunt manner. Everyone wants to be considered a credible and reliable poster and I guess some like to post their sources - words apparently direct from the player's mouth. If someone simply posts "JJ will be transferring and it could take place this week" the same credible and reliable info can be distributed. Usually not a need to post the source of all the information info obtain and posted. This Board knows who is reliable and who is not. For instance, Pdiddy does not (and does not need to) list his source for the info he posts. Usually, he simply says something like "the streets are talking and ...." Not very much lately since we have not been going after/getting local recruits.

If a poster is openly questioned about the credibility of their info, they can always provide the exact source/name to the poster who openly questions by private message; and if necessary, can then post the source.

Personally, I really don't have a big problem either way.

I agree with you in many respects...

However, I do think there is a time and a place for things to be brought to this board straight from the players mouth. Also, its a message board where information is shared about the team... If the player requests the information to be confidential then keep it quiet. If they are telling multiple people the information however, clearly its not meant to be that big of a secret.

I agree there are times when its okay(see willie reed free throws). But I don't think that the poster can make the distinction themselves wether the player is telling multiple people or not, and if he is telling multiple people it could be just meant for those people to hear. IMO its just a "friendship" agreement that you don't bring what they say to a group of vultures(no offense board but it can be that sometimes). If you do bring it here you are taking advantage of your relationship with the player. There is also something to be said about asking a player for the information. I think if a person goes up and asks Paul how his knee is and he says its starting to hurt again. That's fine IMO. But if Willie tweaks his knee in a game and we have an important game coming up and you ask him how his knees feeling or if he'll be playing in the next game and he tells you no. I think it's better to keep sensitive information like that private. I don't mind inside information, I don't think, however, that any good comes from listing: "heard this from a player" or "talked to (insert player here)". I fear that this will only bring bad things for the player if one day someone brings a large piece of serious information to the board and they name their source as a player by name.

Guest BillikenReport

I completely disagree with this.

The players aren't talking to their classmates, friends, etc. with the understanding that whatever they say will end up on a message board attributed back to them. If they knew that, they probably wouldn't say anything.

If the players want what they say to end up on the message board, they can post it here themselves.

The people who post information here and attribute it to players who don't know they will be quoted on a message board obviously have no respect for those players. Hopefully the players will learn not to talk to those people anymore.

The players aren't talking to their classmates, friends, etc. with the understanding that whatever they say will end up on a message board attributed back to them. If they knew that, they probably wouldn't say anything.

If the players want what they say to end up on the message board, they can post it here themselves.

The people who post information here and attribute it to players who don't know they will be quoted on a message board obviously have no respect for those players. Hopefully the players will learn not to talk to those people anymore.

I agree with Nate. I especially don't like attributing to a player by name. That could get the kid in trouble with the coaching staff. It seems to me, there are more subtle ways to get information out there, if it seems valid and newsworthy.

My brother became good friends with a player on the team in the late 1990s. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these guys are like most kids that age. They can be moody. Sometimes they just vent. And some of their perceptions of the inner-workings of the team are just plain wrong. My brother would tell me some stuff that the players would say and then a week later, the story was something completely different. One time, a player said he was definitely leaving, then just a few days later he loved SLU again. Another player was homesick, then a few weeks later he had a new girlfriend and everything was fine.

Maybe they're just sycophants who feel the need to believe that they are "insiders" or really close buddies with the players. Yet we all know that really close buddies wouldn't betray their friend's trust.

As a person frequently in the line of public questioning fire, our motto is that everything that is said is "on the record." But that's in a professional sense. Classmates talking to classmates is one thing; its incumbent upon the individual not to betray that confidence. Some do, some don't. The call rests with the individual. However, if you do something, anything, there should and wil be consequences. The thing that bugs me is that people don't accept responsibility for their actions anymore. That goes for a lot of the smack talkers who are emboldened by the relative anonymous universe that are internet chat boards. So it goes .....

I speak to a lot of folks ..... players, the AD, a little with the assistant coaches, alumni reps, folks on thids board in the PM arena and a lot with the athletic department and the rare Bionid siting. All those people, with the exception of Biondi (who I haven't asked yet) know about Steve's little universe here and do some reading as well. They know we are out here, they talk about it all the time. I've also had people answer my question with "I'm not telling you because it'll go up on Billikens-dot-com the minute you leave here." I can honestly say that has never happened and never would. And yet I get that in what I consider a whole lot of situations --- the most recent being the Ellis saga.

Respect is earned not a birthright and that's the same principle on these boards.

PS: in a long forgotten, discarded thread, I said I had heard of one more transfer coming. It was not Justin Jordan so that bit of information is still awaiting confirmation. But I am seeing signs .... still.