? for Xs and Os experts

If we are having trouble bringing the ball up the floor in the CBI, please don't tell me we could bring it up easily versus mack/nored/veasley.

Cody Ellis isn't remotely close to being Gordon Hayward. He doesn't even finish with his left yet, much less score off the dribble.

Folks, they held Syracuse under 60. Same for a rugged K-State. And again in out-scrapping a Tom Izzo team in the Final Four.

They'd drill us.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are having trouble bringing the ball up the floor in the CBI, please don't tell me we could bring it up easily versus mack/nored/veasley.

Cody Ellis isn't remotely close to being Gordon Hayward. He doesn't even finish with his left yet, much less score off the dribble.

Folks, they held Syracuse under 60. Same for a rugged K-State. And again in out-scrapping a Tom Izzo team in the Final Four.

They'd drill us.

No, they wouldn't drill us, but they'd beat us 8 out of 10 times. The key to Butler's great D was explained by one of ESPN's experts. It goes something like this, the staff breaks down the opponents player by player. They then design their help defense by seeing if the help guy will switch on screens and cover their "new" man. If not, they are instructed to stay with their man and some how go under, around, or through the screen. Tough decision to make in a split second but they seem do it very well. No doubt Hayward would cause us huge matchup problems. CE should get a tape on Hayward and study it hard over the summer.

How many minutes per game do you think Cassity/Salecich/Conklin would garner for Butler?

If Ellis is in the same discussion as Hayward, someone ought to let the NBA in that.

I love Kwamain, but Shelvin Mack said no to Kentucky to go to Butler.

We are good. And young. I'm excited.

But let's 'check ourselves' with the Butler stuff. We had our hands full with Joey Rodriguez and Jamie Skeen.

Is anybody saying that we are as good as Butler? No. But to suggest that we would get drilled by Butler or can't hang with them seems a bit over the top. Besides, Butler is not the type of team that generally blows out quality opponents.

Do you think there is much difference between Xavier and Butler? I don't. If Xavier got by K-State, I would not have been surprised if they would have made the championship game instead of Butler.

Xavier is indeed good. Do you think SLU would have won 5 of 10 vs Xavier this year? I do not. (not sure if 5 of 10 qualifies for "hanging with" or not).

Butler went undefeated from late December 2008 through Monday April 5th.

Butler beat UTEP by 18ish, a 30-win Murray team, the freaking Syracuse Orange, one of the better K-State teams of the last quarter century, and a team coached by Tom Izzo in March.

When I say "they'd drill us", maybe you're thinking I'm saying "it's impossible to play them close on any given night".

What I should say is: I think Butler beats us 10 out of 10 and most of those 10 aren't close late.

Xavier at Chaifetz...played well...we lost. Doesn't mean we're right there with Duke on Big Monday.

Do you then think that Bowling Green and George Washington are Butler-ish?

Xavier is indeed good. Do you think SLU would have won 5 of 10 vs Xavier this year? I do not. (not sure if 5 of 10 qualifies for "hanging with" or not).

Butler went undefeated from late December 2008 through Monday April 5th.

Butler beat UTEP by 18ish, a 30-win Murray team, the freaking Syracuse Orange, one of the better K-State teams of the last quarter century, and a team coached by Tom Izzo in March.

When I say "they'd drill us", maybe you're thinking I'm saying "it's impossible to play them close on any given night".

What I should say is: I think Butler beats us 10 out of 10 and most of those 10 aren't close late.

Xavier at Chaifetz...played well...we lost. Doesn't mean we're right there with Duke on Big Monday.

Do you then think that Bowling Green and George Washington are Butler-ish?

Bowling Green was pre-Cody. I can point to individual games Butler played to prove a point... a 1 -point win over Loyola, Detroit played them within 2 and 5. You lose me when you say most of the 10 games aren't close.

Bowling Green was pre-Cody. I can point to individual games Butler played to prove a point... a 1 -point win over Loyola, Detroit played them within 2 and 5. You lose me when you say most of the 10 games aren't close.

I was at the Bowling Green game. We would not have won, even with Cody. We were horrid in every way that game, the exception being Jon Smith. He had a bunch of relatives there and played great.

Boredom? Butler wears a target on their back?

The games you bolded for SLU, they lost. The games you isolated for Butler--Butler won.

Butler also beat UWGB by 23 and 18.

Which wins from SLU's schedule do you compare to Butler's utep/murray/syracuse/k-state/mich st run?

Like I said: Love the Bills and the direction they are heading.

But they aren't (my definition of) close to Butler today.

That wasn't the CBI Finals on Monday night.

The games you bolded for SLU, they lost. The games you isolated for Butler--Butler won.

Which wins from SLU's schedule do you compare to Butler's utep/murray/syracuse/k-state/mich st run?

How do you compare Xavier to Butler?

I don't think I read where anyone said we are better than Butler. However lets not act like Butler is one of the greatest teams of all time. They had a nice run, they're a good team. Butler didn't go undefeated. They lost to teams that were not as good as them. Butler is a better team than SLU, but if we played 10 games 5 home and 5 on the road, I'd bet SLU wins 2. If we played all 10 neutral, I'd give SLU 1, but wouldn't be shocked to see 2 or 0. I would be shocked to see Butler blow SLU out the large majority of the games though.

I think Crawford makes them very comparable. And obviosly Xavier all but won at Hinkle.

Xavier did lose twice to K-State, whom Butler beat. But all three are tough, and have NBA players.

Yes, I realized we played Xavier to two. Although they scored at will in the 2nd half: 45 points.

I don't think I read where anyone said we are better than Butler. However lets not act like Butler is one of the greatest teams of all time. They had a nice run, they're a good team. Butler didn't go undefeated. They lost to teams that were not as good as them. Butler is a better team than SLU, but if we played 10 games 5 home and 5 on the road, I'd bet SLU wins 2. If we played all 10 neutral, I'd give SLU 1, but wouldn't be shocked to see 2 or 0. I would be shocked to see Butler blow SLU out the large majority of the games though.

And I don't think you read me comparing them to the greats of all time.

I agree with your "out of 10" assessments for the most part. I'm not saying winning one would be miraculous...but winning, say, 4 or 5 of 10? I don't see how.

I agree with your "out of 10" assessments for the most part. I'm not saying winning one would be miraculous...but winning, say, 4 or 5 of 10? I don't see how.

if we play them 10 at home no doubt we win 6 if we are healthy. we are animals at the chaf and when mr kansas wasn't concussed all he did was make plays. the chaf is going to be rowdier then backstage of an iron maiden concert for the coming years so you visiting teams better watch out cause you won't be able the habdle the jersey poppin of all our students that billiken05 has started

We're on the same page.

NOBODY SAID WE'D WIN 4 or 5. They said we'd win 2-3, which is far different than some of the earlier posts saying we'd lose all 10.

NOBODY SAID WE'D WIN 4 or 5. They said we'd win 2-3, which is far different than some of the earlier posts saying we'd lose all 10.

MOYTOY SAID OUR TALENT will meet or exceed Butler's (with Loe).

Is it okay if I generally respond to that?

When I put the comma, and the word "say", and another comma, before the "4 or 5", it was meant to make you understand that I was just throwing out a number (that I think some people are inferring we'd win by their posts).

When I put the comma, and the word "say", and another comma, before the "4 or 5", it was meant to make you understand that I was just throwing out a number (that I think some people are inferring we'd win by their posts).

In my opinion yes it is ok if you respond to that point because it was asinine.

It sounds like you are more of a Butler fan then a Bills fan. Is that true? SLU could easily be on it's way to building a Butler like program but we are still in the growth stages while I would contend they are in the mature stages of being a smaller program that traditionally was not a basketball power but under solid coaching and leadership established itself. The best is yet to come for SLU and OC keep that in mind sir.

You disagree that our talent will meet and possibly exceed Butler's next year?

I also said that talent doesn't necessarily make a team great.

2-3.

I don't know about that. With the way Butler plays defense we would have a hard time scoring. We just don't match up well with them at all and they are well coached. Rickma wouldn't necessarily be able to steal us a game.

We might have stolen a game or two at home, but I would have a hard time seeing us get even one on a neutral court this past season. We were not a very good team away from home against quality teams with one exception.

Next year team should be a different story.