It's about practice

At first, I was opposed to the idea of SLU participating in the CBI. However, it appears as though we will have home games throughout, which eliminates the need for travel (with the possible exception of 1 game in the finals). More important, it potentially gives Majerus an extra couple weeks of practice with his full team. While I am sure the kids are exhausted, this extra practice may pay dividends next season. Plus, if we win a couple games, the extra pressure of the postseason environment can only help. Oh yeah, did I mention that I love that it is on national tv in HD.

I agree. Just finished a phone conversation about the same issue. Also, is this the year we do our Australian trip? If so we are talking about a lot of time to improve for a team that has improved tremendously over the past season. This could pay large dividends including the big time tournament prospect. This morning I was less than interested in this CBI but by tonight I see the benefits and will be there tomorrow although I don't expect a very big turnout. Hope I am surprised.

I'm looking forward to it. Just a heads up on the officiating...If you thought the refs during league play were bad, I can't wait to see the clowns they roll out there tomorrow night.

At first, I was opposed to the idea of SLU participating in the CBI. However, it appears as though we will have home games throughout, which eliminates the need for travel (with the possible exception of 1 game in the finals). More important, it potentially gives Majerus an extra couple weeks of practice with his full team. While I am sure the kids are exhausted, this extra practice may pay dividends next season. Plus, if we win a couple games, the extra pressure of the postseason environment can only help. Oh yeah, did I mention that I love that it is on national tv in HD.

extra pressure of the postseason by playing in cbi????

If they make the finals, I assume there will be some added tension. Plus, this video should some up what really counts:

Who gave him a Red Sox hat? By the way he went to Georgetown, the top rated Jebbie school in the land. And they just happen to find themselves in the NCAA once again. But they don't give one flying hoot about practice. Practice? Why're we talking about practice? Games, baby, it's all about the games. Screw practice. Who needs it? You either are or you ain't.

If they make the finals, I assume there will be some added tension. Plus, this video should some up what really counts:

Thanks for posting that, Nark. Even though I knew what it was, I had to watch it, anyway! Pure comedy. And I'd never seen the whole two minutes, either. I may need to save that snippet!

Oh, the irony!

Haha...this is hilarious.

Don't forget the rap version of AI...including Coach Mora, drunk Joe Namath, and OSU's coach Gundy

I wanna know who takes the time to make this.

I can't thank you enough for posting this. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

"How-the-hell can-I-make-my-team-mates better by practice?"

The random Gundy and Namath appearances are awesome.

I was just saying yesterday how I kind of wished Mike Gundy was our basketball coach so he could hold an outrageous press conference talking about how our kids did everything right and still got screwed by the powers that be.

The rap video needs this to be perfect imo.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

You are correct and to me this is better than playing in NIT just because we have more home games.

1) We have a better chance to play more games by playing at home.

2) Better for academics without the time away from the classroom.

3) Better for fans to see them play at home.

4) The difference in the competition is not that big anyway (although the 1st round is probably a little bigger of a difference).

You are correct and to me this is better than playing in NIT just because we have more home games.

1) We have a better chance to play more games by playing at home.

2) Better for academics without the time away from the classroom.

3) Better for fans to see them play at home.

4) The difference in the competition is not that big anyway (although the 1st round is probably a little bigger of a difference).

To take a statement from Donald Rumsfeld, the NIT is the "Old Europe," yesterday's news. It has become a farce of a tournament with the presence of North Carolina (16-16), NC State, and Northwestern (RPI 117) in its field, and its seeding to allow North Carolina to play at home in the first round. It is not the next best 32, not with those three and the presence of the 8 automatic bid teams, 7 of which have no business being there.

The seedings are gerrymandered to try to get the teams the NIT wants to New York City.

It is the Old Guard, trying to hang on to some relevance, with that ridiculous College of Retired Coaches. Why isn't Charlie Spoonhour on the Committee to represent Midwest interests? The games on ESPNU aren't even on HD on DirecTV. Some cable systems don't even have ESPNU.

The CBI is a better place for this SLU team. It is forward thinking, outside the box.

SLU's CBI acceptance has reportedly led to SLU being included in that high bar O'Reilly Tournament in 2 years. That in itself makes this CBI worthwhile for SLU.

My disappointment with SLU getting snubbed by the NIT was because I thought the season was over. The disappointment was gone 3 1/2 hours later.

To take a statement from Donald Rumsfeld, the NIT is the "Old Europe," yesterday's news. It has become a farce of a tournament with the presence of North Carolina (16-16), NC State, and Northwestern (RPI 117) in its field, and its seeding to allow North Carolina to play at home in the first round. It is not the next best 32, not with those three and the presence of the 8 automatic bid teams, 7 of which have no business being there.

The seedings are gerrymandered to try to get the teams the NIT wants to New York City.

It is the Old Guard, trying to hang on to some relevance, with that ridiculous College of Retired Coaches. Why isn't Charlie Spoonhour on the Committee to represent Midwest interests? The games on ESPNU aren't even on HD on DirecTV. Some cable systems don't even have ESPNU.

The CBI is a better place for this SLU team. It is forward thinking, outside the box.

SLU's CBI acceptance has reportedly led to SLU being included in that high bar O'Reilly Tournament in 2 years. That in itself makes this CBI worthwhile for SLU.

My disappointment with SLU getting snubbed by the NIT was because I thought the season was over. The disappointment was gone 3 1/2 hours later.

While I agree that the CBI presents a lot of great things, and that SLU got snubbed hard, the NIT is still the better tournament. The key thing is exposure, and I don't believe that playing in the CBI grants the same kind of exposure that playing and running deep into the NIT does.

While I agree that the CBI presents a lot of great things, and that SLU got snubbed hard, the NIT is still the better tournament. The key thing is exposure, and I don't believe that playing in the CBI grants the same kind of exposure that playing and running deep into the NIT does.

Perhaps- but which would you take if this was your choice:

A- Playing a road game in the NIT and losing the first game;

B- Playing in the CBI as the #1 seed overall and getting to play 5 or 6 games, all but 1 of them at home. (And add to that getting to play in the O'Reilly Tournament in Kansas City in 2 years in a field that involves Kansas and Syracuse- I think that's the biggest carrot of all.)

Perhaps- but which would you take if this was your choice:

A- Playing a road game in the NIT and losing the first game;

B- Playing in the CBI as the #1 seed overall and getting to play 5 or 6 games, all but 1 of them at home. (And add to that getting to play in the O'Reilly Tournament in Kansas City in 2 years in a field that involves Kansas and Syracuse- I think that's the biggest carrot of all.)

I guess I just don't see the NIT as an auto-loss in the first round, nor do I think of the CBI as being auto-wins in all of the games. Let's put it on equal playing ground:

A- Winning the NIT

B- Winning the CBI

Pick which one is better to you and you'll know which tournament is better, outside factors not withstanding.

I guess I just don't see the NIT as an auto-loss in the first round, nor do I think of the CBI as being auto-wins in all of the games.

Agreed.

As Billiken fans, we should know better than to take any opponent for granted, even at home. Let's hope the boys will take care of business tonight and extend the season.

I guess I just don't see the NIT as an auto-loss in the first round, nor do I think of the CBI as being auto-wins in all of the games. Let's put it on equal playing ground:

A- Winning the NIT

B- Winning the CBI

Pick which one is better to you and you'll know which tournament is better, outside factors not withstanding.

No, you didn't answer my question, you changed it and asked a different question.

What are the probabilities, risk factors of your questions with this young SLU team? The chances of your A are slim this year, we have a fighting chance, perhaps not a statistical likelihood, but certainly a better chance, for your B. Both are secondary tournaments, and that is a key, so getting to play at home is an important factor. (In other words, neither are the NCAA.) Thus all things considered, the CBI is better for SLU this season IMO.

Upsets do happen, and tonight's game is certainly no given. ISU Blue has made some noise and been noticed this season.

No, you didn't answer my question, you changed it and asked a different question.

What are the probabilities, risk factors of your questions with this young SLU team? The chances of your A are slim this year, we have a fighting chance, perhaps not a statistical likelihood, but certainly a better chance, for your B. Both are secondary tournaments, and that is a key, so getting to play at home is an important factor. (In other words, neither are the NCAA.) Thus all things considered, the CBI is better for SLU this season IMO.

Upsets do happen, and tonight's game is certainly no given. ISU Blue has made some noise and been noticed this season.

I didn't answer your question because I thought it was irrelevant. Sure, in your question I'd take the CBI, but that's the same thing as asking me, "would you rather the bills go 0-1 or 5-1 or 6-0?" Of course I'm going to take the 5-1 or 6-0 option.

Saying that 0-1 in the NIT is likelier than 5-1 in the CBI shows a lack of confidence in these Billikens, which they haven't done anything to deserve.

A- Winning the NIT

B- Winning the CBI

Let's add to your B- that you were kept out of the NIT supposedly because of your non-conference schedule, and that the CBI is putting you in the O'Reilly Tournament in KC in 2 years, with Kansas and Syracuse in the field (hopefully meaning you'll get to play one of them, although not certain at this point), when your Sophs will be Seniors.

Then what would you do?

Now granted, it's not like SLU had a choice of picking between the NIT and CBI this year.

But you can no doubt see that the CBI is a worthwhile endeavor for SLU this season.

The CBI is a win-win for SLU.

A- Winning the NIT

B- Winning the CBI

Billikens will get more national expososure playing in the CBE than they would from winning either of those tournaments. The CBE is two games on ESPN against big time opponents that people actually care about watching.