Next Year's Schedule

kshoe

Despite my defense of this year's non-conference schedule, I think we can all agree that next year's schedule should be tougher. Here is what we already know to be a part of the schedule

We will likely only have 13 non-confernece games as I believe the rule is you can have 10 games plus one tourney (there are occasionaly exceptions so maybe there could be one more). I tried searching the internet to confirm that rule but couldn't find anything.

Home: Georgia (they should be decent)

Home: Bowling Green (nothing special)

Away: MSU (always tough to win there)

Away: SIU (always tough to win there)

3 games in the Cancun tourney. It is a true tournament style and would expect 2 of them to be against name opponents and all of them will be tough. ESPN is sponsoring the tourney so most if not all of the games should be on t.v. over Christmas.

That is 7 games right there, so we only need 6 more. Assuming they still want to charge $450 for season tickets at $25 per game, that implies 18 home games. 8 conference games plus 2 exhibition games means you need 8 non-conference games. As you can see above, only 2 are accounted for. If you had 6 buy games that would get you the 18 games you need.

If you do 4 buy games and start two more home and homes, presumably with good teams, it will significantly improve your schedule strength but we will only have 17 home games. I'm not sure SLU is too anxious to give up $150k in revenue (6,000 x $25 = $150k) by scheduling the extra game away from the Chaifetz and charging only $425 for season tics. Would season ticketholders still be willing to pay $450 for only 17 games this year? So in addition to thinking about whether we can get anyone to actually put us on the schedule, people need to realize there are significant financial ramifications from adding additional home and away series.

All that being said, I expect us to add at least one more home and away and hopefully two which would give us a schedule of 9 non-buy games and 4 buy games.

Despite my defense of this year's non-conference schedule, I think we can all agree that next year's schedule should be tougher. Here is what we already know to be a part of the schedule

We will likely only have 13 non-confernece games as I believe the rule is you can have 10 games plus one tourney (there are occasionaly exceptions so maybe there could be one more). I tried searching the internet to confirm that rule but couldn't find anything.

3 games in the Cancun tourney. It is a true tournament style and would expect 2 of them to be against name opponents and all of them will be tough. ESPN is sponsoring the tourney so most if not all of the games should be on t.v. over Christmas.

That is 7 games right there, so we only need 6 more. Assuming they still want to charge $450 for season tickets at $25 per game, that implies 18 home games. 8 conference games plus 2 exhibition games means you need 8 non-conference games. As you can see above, only 2 are accounted for. If you had 6 buy games that would get you the 18 games you need.

If you do 4 buy games and start two more home and homes, presumably with good teams, it will significantly improve your schedule strength but we will only have 17 home games. I'm not sure SLU is too anxious to give up $150k in revenue (6,000 x $25 = $150k) by scheduling the extra game away from the Chaifetz and charging only $425 for season tics. Would season ticketholders still be willing to pay $450 for only 17 games this year? So in addition to thinking about whether we can get anyone to actually put us on the schedule, people need to realize there are significant financial ramifications from adding additional home and away series.

All that being said, I expect us to add at least one more home and away and hopefully two which would give us a schedule of 9 non-buy games and 4 buy games.

I'm fairly certain that we are off-setting the SIU and MSU series ( we are restarting the contract and we will get one at home this year)

Also, the tournament is being sponsored by Conference USA so I would expect that the big teams would be Memphs (their recruiting class is LOADED) and Maybe UTEP.

I'm fairly certain that we are off-setting the SIU and MSU series ( we are restarting the contract and we will get one at home this year)

Also, the tournament is being sponsored by Conference USA so I would expect that the big teams would be Memphs (their recruiting class is LOADED) and Maybe UTEP.

Dont we have to play at bemont?

CUSA will only send 1 team to the tournament from the conference.

I seriously doubt the offsetting thing will be possible unless we just don't play one of the two this year and start it up again next year.

These tournaments rarely have multiple teams from the same conference, regardless of who sponsors it.

I seriously doubt the offsetting thing will be possible unless we just don't play one of the two this year and start it up again next year.

These tournaments rarely have multiple teams from the same conference, regardless of who sponsors it.

I thought I read that the SIUC series would skip next season and start back up in two.

Majerus on the radio said it was the ESPN tourney.

The cost of the season ticket will be at least $450 --- its not dependent upon number of games played at Chaiftez but rather is a fixed price. Rumor is that it maybe increased to $475 -- given the buzz with the entire team returning and the two chi town recruits. Remember back prior to Chaifetz that every couple years the season ticket price increase.

The cost of the season ticket will be at least $450 --- its not dependent upon number of games played at Chaiftez but rather is a fixed price. Rumor is that it maybe increased to $475 -- given the buzz with the entire team returning and the two chi town recruits. Remember back prior to Chaifetz that every couple years the season ticket price increase.

I have no problem with this...as long as they either lower the student ticket prices or give them out for free. Maybe give out the first 750 student tickets for free. Anything we can do to get the students to turn out in force EVERY GAME. A lot of these kids really don't have the money so let's make it easier on them. Afterall, they are paying 30K to go to school there...let them go and watch their team.

In the early 70's there was a $50/semester activity fee which included tickets to the games. It was used to off-wet the cost of the athletic program. Assume that this fee was dropped some time ago. Why not try it again.

Or just up the tuition 50 bucks. There are kids in college that literally look in their wallet and have 12 dollars. They have to decide how they are going to eat and drink beer with that twelve dollars for the next 2 days. This is a reality...at least it was when I was in school 10 years ago. Some students just don't have the money to spend on games.

Or just up the tuition 50 bucks. There are kids in college that literally look in their wallet and have 12 dollars. They have to decide how they are going to eat and drink beer with that twelve dollars for the next 2 days. This is a reality...at least it was when I was in school 10 years ago. Some students just don't have the money to spend on games.

The price of Student Season Tixs is already being discussed within the AD. The price this year was $135, next year it should be lower than $100. That price change should hopefully gain more student fans at EVERY home game.

My only quibble would be that we draw more than 6k for these games - closer to 7k so the money lost would be even greater.

I have no problem with this...as long as they either lower the student ticket prices or give them out for free. Maybe give out the first 750 student tickets for free. Anything we can do to get the students to turn out in force EVERY GAME. A lot of these kids really don't have the money so let's make it easier on them. Afterall, they are paying 30K to go to school there...let them go and watch their team.

Years ago students got tix free and the problem with that was that kids would get the tix and then not use them because they did not pay anything for them. I have no problem with lowering tix prices for kids but not giving them away for free. People value what they pay for and do not what they get for free - it becomes and entitlement.

Years ago students got tix free and the problem with that was that kids would get the tix and then not use them because they did not pay anything for them. I have no problem with lowering tix prices for kids but not giving them away for free. People value what they pay for and do not what they get for free - it becomes and entitlement.

I agree to a point...but if/when SLU is a hot ticket and a place to be, I don't think you will see many kids 'eating' their tickets. There could be a good middle ground here. If you offer the first 500 or so for free...first come first serve, I'm betting most of those kids will be the ones that really care about going to the games and will be there when the doors open...and not skip out on the games.

+1

There has to be some price, even if its minimal. If season tics were completely free every student would grab them, even if they had no intention of going to more than 1 game a year.

The price of Student Season Tixs is already being discussed within the AD. The price this year was $135, next year it should be lower than $100. That price change should hopefully gain more student fans at EVERY home game.

This is good to hear...sounds like SLU is listening. The first year, the avg ticket price was way too high so they lowered those...now it looks like they are lowering student ticket prices. Good to see that they are listening.

sorry, already addressed above regarding the msu/siu series.

mhg

Interesting comments as I was told when I inquired about season tickets for next year that the price of a ticket would not be raised and seeing that we had more home games this year than in years past, the overall cost of a season ticket could actually decrease. So at least according to the people I talked to (one w/ billiken club and one in ticket office) season tickets are based on the number of home games. The "giving levels" don't change based on games. Maybe I was fed incorrect info, but if I was I'll be a little upset. But, I'm glad to be back in town and actually able to get season tickets again.

As for the student tickets, I think when I was in school approximately 10yrs ago that season tix were around $100, but I believe you could always get a free ticket day of game at the ticket office or at Kiel. Anyway, I hope the students keep coming out in force. It's been great to see participation increase and hopefully the momentum continues.

A friend of mine (a U of I grad) and I were discussing scheduling options, and we had an idea for a 'Shootout' held at the Scottrade Center involving several local teams...

-The tournament would involve 8 teams: Illinois, Missouri, SLU, and a Valley Team (one of Missouri St., Illinois St., SIUC, or Bradley)

- Then it would involve 4 scrub teams as an enticement for the 'bigger' schools: DePaul (unless they get good any time soon), Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois, Northern Illinois, UMKC, SEMO, SIUE, Illinois-Chicago, Loyola-Chicago

- Since the tournament would have 8 teams there would be 4 games Friday, the Semis Saturday, and the Finals Sunday...

- In the first round, the top 4 'seeds' would play an aforementioned 'scrub' team so as to guarantee the 'good' teams a supposed easy win...

We both agreed that it was a travesty that SLU has not played either Illinois or Missouri for the last 10+ years (through no fault of SLU's)

I think this tournament idea would be a huge revenue booster for a lot of the schools since virtually every game would be sold out...

I know it's not going to happen, but it's just wishful thinking

A friend of mine (a U of I grad) and I were discussing scheduling options, and we had an idea for a 'Shootout' held at the Scottrade Center involving several local teams...

-The tournament would involve 8 teams: Illinois, Missouri, SLU, and a Valley Team (one of Missouri St., Illinois St., SIUC, or Bradley)

- Then it would involve 4 scrub teams as an enticement for the 'bigger' schools: DePaul (unless they get good any time soon), Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois, Northern Illinois, UMKC, SEMO, SIUE, Illinois-Chicago, Loyola-Chicago

- Since the tournament would have 8 teams there would be 4 games Friday, the Semis Saturday, and the Finals Sunday...

- In the first round, the top 4 'seeds' would play an aforementioned 'scrub' team so as to guarantee the 'good' teams a supposed easy win...

We both agreed that it was a travesty that SLU has not played either Illinois or Missouri for the last 10+ years (through no fault of SLU's)

I think this tournament idea would be a huge revenue booster for a lot of the schools since virtually every game would be sold out...

I like that idea. I was talking to this guy at the MVC tournament and he proposed the idea that Missouri, MSU, and SLU should play a round robin every year and the home team would be rotated where each school hosts every 3 years.

What is with this fixation with Scott Trade - we waited years so we could get away from having to play off campus and in a half filled or less arena. I would not be in favor of not playing our home games at Chaifetz. This not just about selling tix - by the time you pay for Scott Trade and split the money 8 ways you would not come out any better and perhaps worse financially.

I like that idea. I was talking to this guy at the MVC tournament and he proposed the idea that Missouri, MSU, and SLU should play a round robin every year and the home team would be rotated where each school hosts every 3 years.

Fine but that is not playing at Scott Trade - you could still do this at our place.