5 on 8 basketball

The refs didn't cost us the game - we don't need to make that excuse

The A10 officiating is a joke. The striped boys missed at least 8 travel calls-six where baskets were scored including the "circus" basket. The most obvious was toward the end of the game when they allowed the X player to call a timeout while he was rolling around on the floor. Maybe it's because of Rick's A10 comments but I've never seen a case where the home team has so many calls go against them.

While I agree that this one shouldn't be blamed on the officiating, it was definitely poor. In a close game, those bad calls get blown up. Just how it goes. I wish we'd had a more competent crew but that's the hand we were dealt.

That said, if we don't get out-rebounded so dramatically, we win this game. To me, that was a bigger factor than Willie's missed free throws.

Just so everyone knows, Xavier fans are livid about the McLean technical (I didn't see it either) and Ellis' three-point foul. They acknowledge his feet were behind the line but say Taylor never touched him.

The A10 officiating is a joke. The striped boys missed at least 8 travel calls-six where baskets were scored including the "circus" basket. The most obvious was toward the end of the game when they allowed the X player to call a timeout while he was rolling around on the floor. Maybe it's because of Rick's A10 comments but I've never seen a case where the home team has so many calls go against them.

-i thought the officials were pretty good, one miss was the two hand push on CS as X was inbouding with 7 seconds left, but let's remember the technical, the kick out of bounds in front of DrC

-were there missed calls? sure on both teams? sure is that going to happen in every game? probably

-officials did not cost us the game, imo

-sometimes you also have to give some credit to the team that wins

While I agree that this one shouldn't be blamed on the officiating, it was definitely poor. In a close game, those bad calls get blown up. Just how it goes. I wish we'd had a more competent crew but that's the hand we were dealt.

That said, if we don't get out-rebounded so dramatically, we win this game. To me, that was a bigger factor than Willie's missed free throws.

Just so everyone knows, Xavier fans are livid about the McLean technical (I didn't see it either) and Ellis' three-point foul. They acknowledge his feet were behind the line but say Taylor never touched him.

I thought the refs didn't do SLU any favors during the 16-0 stretch including the missed walks and the foul on the Kwamain lay-up that led to an X 3-pointer but otherwise were more than fair to SLU.

The tech on McLean was a rough call. We caused a turnover in the last couple minutes that was clearly the result of a KM kicked ball that they didn't call and there were walks on Willie and cody that could have been called late. I didn't have a clear view of the Cody 3-pointer but he airballed it way short and the whistle blew immediately so its hard for me to imagine he wasn't hit on the arm so the X fans need to calm down on that one.

I thought the refs didn't do SLU any favors during the 16-0 stretch including the missed walks and the foul on the Kwamain lay-up that led to an X 3-pointer but otherwise were more than fair to SLU.

The tech on McLean was a rough call. We caused a turnover in the last couple minutes that was clearly the result of a KM kicked ball that they didn't call and there were walks on Willie and cody that could have been called late. I didn't have a clear view of the Cody 3-pointer but he airballed it way short and the whistle blew immediately so its hard for me to imagine he wasn't hit on the arm so the X fans need to calm down on that one.

Agreed, we definitely don't need to blame the refs for the game. Were they particularly good? No, but they missed as many calls that went our way as they did their way.

Sometimes you just need to tip your cap to the other team. Love was a beast for us in the paint and Crawford hit a number of incredible shots. Sure, we could have hit a few more FTs, etc., but overall I felt we played a very good basketball game and just got beat by a better team. This time next year, it won't be the case.

I did, at one point, wonder if the A10 told the refs to call against us because SLU is/was ruining the A10-NCAA parade. But, I then realized that, even if that was the case, we should have been able to win this game anyway, so it doesn't matter.

-i thought the officials were pretty good, one miss was the two hand push on CS as X was inbouding with 7 seconds left, but let's remember the technical, the kick out of bounds in front of DrC

-were there missed calls? sure on both teams? sure is that going to happen in every game? probably

-officials did not cost us the game, imo

-sometimes you also have to give some credit to the team that wins

i know this might bring thunder and lightning but i agree with cowboy completely on this. imo it was the best officiating we have seen this year. yeah they missed a few. but all in all if anyone got the calls it was the billikens last night. hell if i was mack on the technical call i would have just hit someone. apparently it was for taunting but my gosh, at that point in the game? and to be honest it wasnt a very obvious "taunt".

there were at least 3 out of bounds calls at my end that were gifts and there was one on the shoe end that was the same.

i thought reed traveled three times on his up and under stuff in the first half that were not called as well.

but as the a-10 officiating goes, overall this might be about as good as it gets.

FYI I happened to notice that when #22 McClean got his 3rd foul, he was in the refs face big time, almost a technical, teammates had to get him out of there... so he had been warned, his technical was ??? but he must have said something and the ref was waiting for it.

Last night the refs mostly let the kids play, a lot of contact, but that was to Xaviers advantage, with all the muscle they have.

Our kids got hammered going to the hoop... no calls... no basket... our kids on the floor.

Their kids (men?) are a lot stronger physically, including their guards, so it did not affect them as much.

A lot of travelling by X was overlooked, and that 3rd foul on Ellis was a killer.... put him out for awhile, he barely touched the guy.

But we still coulda won... tough night.

Overall, A-10 refs have been and will be an issue for SLU.

last night's crew did a lot of "warning" and "teaching" last night. it is a peeve of mine about today's officials everywhere at every level. dont lecture. call it or forget it. man that gets me mad.

and for the record i could read the ref's lips when he came over to mack after the call,

"i already warned him once." oh brother.

I had a perfect view of Ellis' fouled 3. He was hit right on the wrist and his follow through stopped - that's why it was short.

I want to ask, because I don't know, Could they make a call for 3 - allow 2 ft to be taken and THEN reverse the 3?

Wouldn't it have been too late?

The worst non-call of the night was the allowing of the time out rather than the forced jump ball.

If they make the correct call, the arrow switches to the Bills and we get the ball back on the late jump ball.

Absolutely horrible. That time out should have never been permitted.

Complain about the Post's coverage of the game and you'll of hit the Billiken Daily Double :P

I figured this idiot would crawl out from under his rock with a post like this. He has done it many times before. Look jack a$$, SOME Billiken fans complain about the refs and some complain about media coverage. THIS IS NOT UNIQUE TO SLU FANS. I don't blame the refs for the loss, but if others want to vent about it, so what. It happens on a lot of message boards.

The reffing seemed to ebb and flow. It was called pretty evenly (and by that i mean bad calls both ways) for the first 25 minutes, then X got all the calls and went on their crazy run, and then SLU got all the calls and went on their run to come back.

I think the moral of the story here is: Put your foot on the throat.

I think a more experienced SLU team would have been able to take one of the 7-point leads they had at times and turned it into a 12-15 point lead. So often with young teams they get a lead and let the other team get right back into it with sloppy play. I think next year, with a year of maturation under their belt, these Bills win this game, if only because they take that first half and turn it into a rout.

FYI I happened to notice that when #22 McClean got his 3rd foul, he was in the refs face big time, almost a technical, teammates had to get him out of there... so he had been warned, his technical was ??? but he must have said something and the ref was waiting for it.

Last night the refs mostly let the kids play, a lot of contact, but that was to Xaviers advantage, with all the muscle they have.

Our kids got hammered going to the hoop... no calls... no basket... our kids on the floor.

Their kids (men?) are a lot stronger physically, including their guards, so it did not affect them as much.

A lot of travelling by X was overlooked, and that 3rd foul on Ellis was a killer.... put him out for awhile, he barely touched the guy.

But we still coulda won... tough night.

Overall, A-10 refs have been and will be an issue for SLU.

When the game started I hoped this crew would be stand up guys and just play it straight. At times, they seemed to do that although they really allowed a lot of contact which very much ultimately helped X on the boards but you could say we needed to "man up" and give it back.

As in so many of our games in the A10, the thing that is most aggravating is that the refs are inconsistant and seem to blow what appear to be obvious calls at crucial situations. The no calls at the end of the GW game come to mind but it has happened on numerous occasions.

We did not lose the game because of the refs but an evenly consistantly reffed game would have hurt X because they got a lot of offensive rebounds by pushing our guys out of the way or going over the top. If those are called and the guys are in foul trouble the whole approach changes. As we get bigger and tougher I sure hope they don't change the way they call the game.

I am surprised that no one seems to mention the call late where KM was ahead of the field for a layup and as he slowed the guy slammed him into the basket and to the floor and no call was made at all. How can any self respecting ref not call that foul. That play and the many travelling calls that were not made at crucial times in the second half were my main complaints.

With all of that said, we played extremely well and X played an excellent game with a little luck thrown in! But that is just the way the ball bounces some times. Go Bills.

My only complaint about the refs was on the time-out/jump ball at the end.....The refs waited too long all night to blow the whistle and I felt jumped the gun on the timeout in that situation. All I ever ask for out of refs in consistency, and I felt that they changed the way they were calling the game on that play. Xavier traveled on 30% of their possessions, but Cody and Willie got away with their own travels.

I figured this idiot would crawl out from under his rock with a post like this. He has done it many times before. Look jack a$$, SOME Billiken fans complain about the refs and some complain about media coverage. THIS IS NOT UNIQUE TO SLU FANS. I don't blame the refs for the loss, but if others want to vent about it, so what. It happens on a lot of message boards.

Who annointed you defender of all Billiken board posters. I notice you jump to the defense of anyone I happen to joke with or am critical of on here. Funny thing is no one ever defends you. How telling. :P

Are we not allowed to disagree with other posters on here? If some starts a thread should all following responses be "I agree. Great point." The vast majority on here didn't agree with his assessment of the officiating. Why is it so bad to tell him so?

It's a nice day out. Don't spend all day in the library when there are cans to collect out there. :lol:

but as the a-10 officiating goes, overall this might be about as good as it gets.

Completely agree. They certainly "let them play" last night. On one hand, that helps us because we don't have the depth to withstand a game where lots of guys get in some form of foul trouble. On the other hand, it hurts us because it allow the bigger/stronger team to push us around a bit. Based on what I've come to expect from these atrocious a-10 crews, there is no doubt in my mind that last night was as "good as it gets" from an officiating standpoint.

Who annointed you defender of all Billiken board posters. I notice you jump to the defense of anyone I happen to joke with or am critical of on here. Funny thing is no one ever defends you. How telling. :P

Are we not allowed to disagree with other posters on here? If some starts a thread should all following responses be "I agree. Great point." The vast majority on here didn't agree with his assessment of the officiating. Why is it so bad to tell him so?

It's a nice day out. Don't spend all day in the library when there are cans to collect out there. :lol:

Who anointed you the watchdog of what SLU fans can and can't be critical of? Your trolling act is old. If you have an issue with what the original poster said, then take it up with him directly? Instead, you take something one or two people say and make sweeping generalizations about SLU fans. Even you admit, many SLU fans did not agree with what the original poster said. So why the crack about the "Billiken Daily Double"?

Who anointed you the watchdog of what SLU fans can and can't be critical of? Your trolling act is old. If you have an issue with what the original poster said, then take it up with him directly? Instead, you take something one or two people say and make sweeping generalizations about SLU fans. Even you admit, many SLU fans did not agree with what the original poster said. So why the crack about the "Billiken Daily Double"?

We are all critical of each other on here. I'm not sure why you take exception to me when I'm critical of another poster. I mean I know why, it's because like Thicks has mentioned before, you just like to try and stir up stuff on here and be a pain. I did take it up with the original poster - it's called replying to his post - it's how you do things on a message board.

I'm done with you for this thread. You've annoyed enough people already. Good luck with your collections today.

We are all critical of each other on here. I'm not sure why you take exception to me when I'm critical of another poster. I mean I know why, it's because like Thicks has mentioned before, you just like to try and stir up stuff on here and be a pain. I did take it up with the original poster - it's called replying to his post - it's how you do things on a message board.

I'm done with you for this thread. You've annoyed enough people already. Good luck with your collections today.

No, you didn't just call out the original poster. That would have been a reply like - "I don't think the refs cost SLU the game. Poor rebounding and free throw shooting are a couple of reasons why SLU lost."

But instead, you take the opportunity to yet again (like you've done before) resort to negative generalization about SLU fans - that we all blame the refs, and for good measure, you threw in your predictable crack about the Post-Dispatch. At least your good buddy Dan Caesar will be proud. :P Are SLU not allowed to be "critical" of your beloved Post-Dispatch from time to time? Why does that bother you so much?