Rick Majerus > Lorenzo Romar

RUBillsFan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure this topic ought to throw Roy into a tizzy. With the win over UMass, coach Rick now has 52 wins in less than 3 seasons. Romar had just 51 wins in 3 complete seasons. Rick is now 8th all time in wins at SLU.

Romar was and still is a very good coach. He was great for the program, and I don't see how anyone can blame him for going back to his alma mater.

I figure this topic ought to throw Roy into a tizzy. With the win over UMass, coach Rick now has 52 wins in less than 3 seasons. Romar had just 51 wins in 3 complete seasons. Rick is now 8th all time in wins at SLU.

The trajectory Is different, regardless of how this season ends the future looks brighter.

I doubt Roy would say LR was a better coach than RM, so I doubt this will get him in a Tizzy.

imo, romar was a better ambassador for the school and a better person, but no where near the coach of rickma. rickma is a deserved hall of fame coach and is doing a great job winning.

If Romar had the luxury of having the "Fetz" available to him when he was here, he would probably still be here and SLU would have already reached the heights it appears to be headed toward. Romar always ha at least three to four top 50 recruits willing to put SLU on their list of prospective colleges. But after visiting and seeing the facilities SLU had, they chose other schools. Romar may not be as good a coach as RM but, he is a very good coach and would have provided the kind of exciting ball that attracts the top recruits. RM says he wants this team to fast break and with next year's recruits they will have the talent to do so. Maybe we will start keeping the superstars at home from now on.

If Romar had the luxury of having the "Fetz" available to him when he was here, he would probably still be here and SLU would have already reached the heights it appears to be headed toward. Romar always ha at least three to four top 50 recruits willing to put SLU on their list of prospective colleges. But after visiting and seeing the facilities SLU had, they chose other schools. Romar may not be as good a coach as RM but, he is a very good coach and would have provided the kind of exciting ball that attracts the top recruits. RM says he wants this team to fast break and with next year's recruits they will have the talent to do so. Maybe we will start keeping the superstars at home from now on.

Nice theory but too bad you have NOTHING to back it up. 3 to 4 top 50 recruits, none knew about our facilities and then all said no b/c of them. I am sure you personally talked with each of them too. Give me a break!! :lol:

Romar was/is a nice guy and obviously is a good D1 coach but he did not get the job done here at SLU. Fact.

Sorry, I disagree, Majerus has win but no titles. At least Romar gaves us one Conf USA title.

Post this after Majerus wins the A10.

Are you kidding me? The conference title year SLU finished 7-9 in conference. His best conference record was 9-7.

Romar's career record is 256-178, with four losing seasons.

Rick's is 473-184 with no losing seasons.

Romar has taken 5 teams to the NCAA tournament.

Rick has taken 11 teams to the Dance, including a National Runner-Up.

There is no comparision between Rick and Lorenzo in their coaching resume.

Nice theory but too bad you have NOTHING to back it up. 3 to 4 top 50 recruits, none knew about our facilities and then all said no b/c of them. I am sure you personally talked with each of them too. Give me a break!! :lol:

Romar was/is a nice guy and obviously is a good D1 coach but he did not get the job done here at SLU. Fact.

I had a prescription to a high school magazine and they regularly listed the recruits SLU was recruiting up until a year before Romar left. I ended my prescription when they stopped listing SLU's recruits. Every year up until Romar's last year they listed those recruits. If you never read the magazine how would you know? I'm not writing about something I don't know about. Did you ever subsribe to Prep Stars Recruiter's Handbook? Look at the 2000 and 2001 Handbooks. And they were just two of the issues that included recruits considering SLU.

Are you kidding me? The conference title year SLU finished 7-9 in conference. His best conference record was 9-7.

Romar's career record is 256-178, with four losing seasons.

Rick's is 473-184 with no losing seasons.

Romar has taken 5 teams to the NCAA tournament.

Rick has taken 11 teams to the Dance, including a National Runner-Up.

There is no comparision between Rick and Lorenzo in their coaching resume.

RM has been a head coach many more years than Romar. However, although it does not really matter, RM is probably the better coach. So what. Romar is no longer here.

Based on what Romar has accomplished (or failed to accomplish) this year in a weak Pac-10 conference, I would say that Majerus has absolutely coached more out of his team THIS year. I'm not not educated enough on Romar's time at SLU, but I would say the future looks very bright with Majerus at the helm. Obviously Romar has a much larger talent pool at Washington, but he also has to deal with competition among Gonzaga and other Pac-10 foes.

Based on entire careers, however, Majerus wins in a landslide. Zero losing seasons with teams like Ball State, Utah, and SLU. Need I say more?

I had a prescription to a high school magazine and they regularly listed the recruits SLU was recruiting up until a year before Romar left. I ended my prescription when they stopped listing SLU's recruits. Every year up until Romar's last year they listed those recruits. If you never read the magazine how would you know? I'm not writing about something I don't know about. Did you ever subsribe to Prep Stars Recruiter's Handbook? Look at the 2000 and 2001 Handbooks. And they were just two of the issues that included recruits considering SLU.

You had a prescription to a magazine? Interesting.

Sorry, I disagree, Majerus has win but no titles. At least Romar gaves us one Conf USA title.

Post this after Majerus wins the A10.

This is the dumbest thing I have heard all month (fortunately for you February is a short month). You do realize that he went to the finals in THE tournament (and has danced 11 times). That is like saying RM has never won a street race on Hwy. 40 so he has to prove himself and win a street race; but, by the way he came in second in the Indy 500 but that doesn't mean a thing. You are crazy!

What was the strength and quantity? Did they authorize any refills? Generic OK?

Romar did have some good recruits consider SLU, many of whom were from California, but none of them ever committed to SLU. I honestly don't know their reason for not coming. It could've been the facilities at the time, or it could've been that the players didn't want to go to school that far away from California, unless the school was a powerhouse.

Below are a few of the players Romar just missed on:

Chuck Hayes-forward from California, went to college at Kentucky.

Jamaal Williams-forward from California, went to New Mexico before transferring to Washington to play for Romar.

Jamal Sampson-forward/center from California, went to California.

Travis Diener-guard from Wisconsin, went to Marquette.

Those guys were all in one class. Instead of 1, 2, 3, or 4 of those guys, Romar ended up taking an 0-fer and instead signing Kenny Brown, Randy Pulley, and John Seyfert.

A "better person"???? Where do I sign up for the class where I will be taught which coaches are the best people. What are you basing this on? Let me guess - what's in the media. Or do you actually know our coahces on a personal level?

imo, romar was a better ambassador for the school and a better person, but no where near the coach of rickma. rickma is a deserved hall of fame coach and is doing a great job winning.

Not sure what you mean by ambassador, but I'm pretty sure winning more games than the other guy helps your school tremendously. Any publicity is good publicity (unless you're caught having sex with a woman in a Louisville restaurant after hours) and if the worst thing you can say about a coach is that he is tough on the poor little DI basketball players then he can't be that bad of a person. Maybe Rick Majerus isn't a good person, personally I don't feel comfortable making that assessment, but since you seem to know both coaches so well I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

A "better person"???? Where do I sign up for the class where I will be taught which coaches are the best people. What are you basing this on? Let me guess - what's in the media. Or do you actually know our coahces on a personal level?

I know, I know! That is the million dollar question for B_roy. He will just tell you that RM screwed all of Brad's mediocre-to-level-NAIA recruits when he took over and was disagreeable with the Lisch family. I really hope he realizes that he was very nice in giving Daniel a scholarship and connecting Kevin to the team in Perth.

He will also tell you that he "bad mouths" SLU and should shut his fat mouth. Not to mention he is also a "blockhead". Also, the players are a pawn in his scheme to make travel more convenient for RM, personally.

B_roy does not know Majerus on a personal level. He doesn't know if he is a good person. He is just speculating. His opinion will never change. He is just riding this out until the next puppy dogs and ice cream coach comes around and sinks the program.

This is the dumbest thing I have heard all month (fortunately for you February is a short month). You do realize that he went to the finals in THE tournament (and has danced 11 times). That is like saying RM has never won a street race on Hwy. 40 so he has to prove himself and win a street race; but, by the way he came in second in the Indy 500 but that doesn't mean a thing. You are crazy!

I am not saying that Romar's career is greater than Majerus, but so far AT SLU Majerus has won nothing. Can you at least agree with that? Now that may change in the next couple of years. But I have followed SLU since around 81 and I only remember one title. Regular or post-season.

If I am forgetting something please let me know.

I am not saying that Romar's career is greater than Majerus, but so far AT SLU Majerus has won nothing. Can you at least agree with that? Now that may change in the next couple of years. But I have followed SLU since around 81 and I only remember one title. Regular or post-season.

If I am forgetting something please let me know.

Then the question is, who do you wanting coaching SLU, Romar or Majerus?