#24 + Grawer

davidnark

2 administrative things that bothered me tonight:

1: Guy Phillips couldn't even pronounce Rich Grawer's last name. What an embarrassment.

2: Cody Ellis has been given the jersey number of one of our four "retired" jereseys.

2 administrative things that bothered me tonight:

1: Guy Phillips couldn't even pronounce Rich Grawer's last name. What an embarrassment.

2: Cody Ellis has been given the jersey number of one of our four "retired" jereseys.

Interesting - I can not say I noticed that about the jersey - that is a real screw up. Philips - he just one big embarrassment.

Great show of love for Grawer. Rich really deserves a great deal of credit for keeping Billiken basketball alive. Too bad there were hard feelings when he was let go. I hope he felt good about being back with us tonight.

Guy Phillips is indeed an embarassment. Why is this allowed to continue? He doesn't even know the players names and I am so tired of hearing "correction"........It is a joke and everyone seems to know it accept the people who can do something about it.

That had to be an all-time great when Guy had to do a "correction" INTRODUCING THE TEAM BEING HONORED. (Plus, who did he call "Kevin" at the end of the game for a sub. Was it "Kevin Mitchell"?)

At least we played like a first-class program tonight. We beat Richmond, and we beat the refs. I've pretty much given up on the program being run like a first-class program.

The videos would be much better with even a minimal amount of editing to drop in explanatory text in between the clips, e.g., on a broad basis, "SLU (in blue) takes on Luc Longley and New Mexico State in the 1990 NIT finals," or on a narrower basis "Monroe Douglass drives the basket," "Anthony Bonner scores on a nifty follow shot," etc. (For today's clips, at least I could recognize most of the players from memory. When they showed the 1948 NIT, I couldn't even tell which team was SLU.

Boushka, Bonner and Ferry have retired jerseys....their numbers are not retired.

From page 109 in the media guide.....http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stlo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/SLUMBBGUIDE0910.pdf

"Ed Macauley is easily the greatest

Billiken basketball player in the history of

the program and one of the most beloved.

He is a member of the Basketball Hall

of Fame in Springfield, Mass., and was

named one of the top 100 players in NBA

history.

As a result, his No. 50 is the only

number to be retired in Billiken basketball

history."

That had to be an all-time great when Guy had to do a "correction" INTRODUCING THE TEAM BEING HONORED. (Plus, who did he call "Kevin" at the end of the game for a sub. Was it "Kevin Mitchell"?)

At least we played like a first-class program tonight. We beat Richmond, and we beat the refs. I've pretty much given up on the program being run like a first-class program.

NO 21 Kevin Smith-no correction; but Jon Smith did come in

In the past he has mixed up Kyle Cassity 23 and Femi John 13 they look so much alike; I'll that is why CS got his hair cropped short he did not want to

be confused with KS and CE especially tough for Guy since we are playing all of our players it was much easier when we only played 8 or so the last

4 or 5 years.

The crowd roared in honor of the 88-89 team and after they had been cheering for nearly a minute Guy said "everybody stand up and give them a hand"

if it is on the script he is going to attempt to read it.

Actually, the distinction is between "raised jersey" and "retired number."

The only consistency about SLU's retired numbers is the degree of inconsistency.

I'm pretty sure #s 50, 43, 24, and 34 are all supposed to be retired. The 06-07 media guide indicates that...

Posted Image

scroll down on the very same page...

Posted Image

I'd love to hear someone rationalize how 'retired number' means something different than 'retired jersey'...the best I can gather it's a technicality for the purpose of putting Ed McCauley above everyone else. Earlier this year during a similar halftime tribute I'm pretty sure Guy Phillips implied Ed McCauley was the only Billiken to have his number retired.

What's really funny is that they gave Melvin Robinson #50 his freshman year, but he wore 54 after that. I'm pretty sure it was because they realized 50 was supposed to be retired for Ed McCauley. They didn't have raised jerseys until the mid 90s at Kiel Center - and initially it was just 50, 43, and 24 for the 3 first team All-Americans.

I'm guessing 43 and 24 were not retired before that ceremonial jersey raising in the 90s, because Roland Gray wore 24 in the late 80s. Numerous players (Dillard, Dobbs) wore 34 in the years following Bonner, but no one recently (i.e. since his jersey was raised).

Anyone with actual knowledge on specifics can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but you'll note that both Easy Ed's and Boushka's jerseys clearly read "St. Louis." They must not have gotten the memo. B)

I'm St. was cheaper than Saint. They went with it.

The thing is the team can do what-ever-the-hell it wants to do. Numbers can be retired unretired etc. Or you can just do what America's Team the Dallas Cowboys do and have a Ring of Honor. Doesn't really matter.

I know the 88-89 team is much revered around here but it is a little sad that a runner-up NIT team is what we have to honor. Sac-religious yes but we need to get it together and do something in the real tournament. We've never really built on the little success that we've had. Now is the time for that to happen. Keep swimmin' that mile a day Majerus and don't punch/discipline a kid with concussion/poke your finger in someone's chest and we will get something going.

Great show of love for Grawer. Rich really deserves a great deal of credit for keeping Billiken basketball alive. Too bad there were hard feelings when he was let go. I hope he felt good about being back with us tonight.

Guy Phillips is indeed an embarassment. Why is this allowed to continue? He doesn't even know the players names and I am so tired of hearing "correction"........It is a joke and everyone seems to know it accept the people who can do something about it.

Didn't see Kevin Footes go near Grawer-could anyone else notice if all of the players talked to him. he is the only coach we ever had that played

the Floyd Irons and city public schools's coaches, advisors, parents well on SLU's behalf. We had our best city athletes under his and Lee Winfield's reign.

Did not notice was Lee Winfiled there?

The problem with Phillips is that a big money backer likes him and wants him to have the job so nothing will change there until that person changes their mind. If you are Chris May why piss off a big donor over such a small issue in the scope of things. I also think lots of the blue hair crowd listen to Y98 and they like "the guy". Reminds them of being in their Lincoln riding to bingo.

The problem with Phillips is that a big money backer likes him and wants him to have the job so nothing will change there until that person changes their mind. If you are Chris May why piss off a big donor over such a small issue in the scope of things. I also think lots of the blue hair crowd listen to Y98 and they like "the guy". Reminds them of being in their Lincoln riding to bingo.

Actually, the primary demo for KY98 is much younger than that. Not the teenies or the 20 year olds, but more 30s, 40s, and 50s and more female than male. Does he ever plug the Billikens on his morning show? That would be helpful. I am in the middle of the demo age range an I do not have a problem with Guy at all. I think we hear about him on this board as a result of the squeaky wheel theorem.

The thing is the team can do what-ever-the-hell it wants to do. Numbers can be retired unretired etc. Or you can just do what America's Team the Dallas Cowboys do and have a Ring of Honor. Doesn't really matter.

I know the 88-89 team is much revered around here but it is a little sad that a runner-up NIT team is what we have to honor. Sac-religious yes but we need to get it together and do something in the real tournament. We've never really built on the little success that we've had. Now is the time for that to happen. Keep swimmin' that mile a day Majerus and don't punch/discipline a kid with concussion/poke your finger in someone's chest and we will get something going.

perspective-NIT was the Madison Garden big deal in NYCity in 1948

and by the time of 88-89 there were fewer

teams in the NCAA

Does it really grind people's gears that bad that they have retired jerseys/retired numbers? I mean its how they do things and it's a tradition. This is going to seem like a crazy comparison but I'm sure that some Fightin' Irish players back in the day thought it was "gay" to start slapping the PLACT sign on the way onto the field. Traditions start somewhere and not everyone understands them or has a purpose but to let it bother you is a little silly IMO.