Bradley Beal To Announce Decision

Pistol

That's why SLU should have been the first one after him. Don't let the big players come in and get in his ear first. Obviously SLU can't make the pitch those two schools can but if SLU's coaches take their pitch to him first, that can be a big difference, especially when SLU is in his home city.

Is the reason SLU didn't hit harder from the start because of the coaching transition? I know the timing was probably relatively close between Beal's blowing up and Majerus' staff taking over. I still think hitting the big local prospect hard should have been one of the first orders of business.

What proof do you have that "being the first to offer" really makes any difference at all. I'll answer it: None. Yes, I know kids say "ABC was the first to offer and really have been recruiting me the most/hardest..." but I frankly don't believe it. While there may be some situations and exceptions (school ABC has been recruiting for 2 years v. school XYZ has just shown interest 2 years ago b/c their first choice fell thru, such talk is just that - talk. I will bet any amount of money that when Beal chose FL over KS that he did not consider if either program had "offered" a week or two earlier. Guys like Beal have been receiving letter and interest from schools since 7th grade - and most likely even prior to that. I doubt these kids can really tell or remember who was "first" or not.

Slow start and coaching change as the reason Beal is not coming to SLU?? Certainly you don't believe that.

Veiled comparisons to Josh Harrelson?? You cannot be serious!!

5 star guys have offers from everyone. Everyone - especially the recruits - know this. If KS and FL "officially" offered first, or got word thru to his AAU coach, etc, then Beal know that every school wants him. There isn't a D1 school around (except maybe for SLU when St. Rich was coaching) that would not create or find an open spot for Beal. I am confident that Brad knew - years ago - that SLU wanted him and that he could be the local hometown star if he wanted. "Offering" Beal while a 7th or 8th grader or Freshman in highschool is not necessary. I am just glad SLU did not invest time into Beal like Romar did with Darius Miles.

As to Beal, I wish him the best but I know that he was never coming here anyway. I am, though, looking forward to reading all the "Sorry, I was wrong..." comments from all the regular KU posters. :(

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of smoke on here, over Beal's decision. I find the questioning of our recruiting tactics rather quaint, and probably silly-- to be honest -- given our strong recruiting in recent years.

fact is, a 5 star can go anywhere, as one already mentioned. fact is, Beal wants national exposure and a possible final four, if not championship -- who wouldn't?? he wanted a major program-- why not?? And NBA career-- yes, he could get the NBA coming here to SLU, but what about the tournaments, let alone final 4? hard telling. of course, having him would probably help!!

fact is, he's a teenager, with or without a drivers license. pulsing hormones, unpredictable, and worried about zits. so it goes -- he now is released from all the pressure (so he thinks).

I say, let it go--best wishes to Bradley, hope you can makes us here proud!

Come on, a true 5* kid like Beal will never come to SLU when KU and Florida type programs are offering him a schollie.

Even if we are "first".

The only one we got was a fluke, Hughes had personal reasons to go to SLU.

Only longshot chance is if SLU really improves and starts winning next year, and a local 5 or 4 decides to play for RM because of his reputation coaching bigs. No way a 1-2-3 stays here that can go to top 10 elite program.

lots of smoke on here, over Beal's decision. I find the questioning of our recruiting tactics rather quaint, and probably silly-- to be honest -- given our strong recruiting in recent years.

fact is, a 5 star can go anywhere, as one already mentioned. fact is, Beal wants national exposure and a possible final four, if not championship -- who wouldn't?? he wanted a major program-- why not?? And NBA career-- yes, he could get the NBA coming here to SLU, but what about the tournaments, let alone final 4? hard telling. of course, having him would probably help!!

fact is, he's a teenager, with or without a drivers license. pulsing hormones, unpredictable, and worried about zits. so it goes -- he now is released from all the pressure (so he thinks).

I say, let it go--best wishes to Bradley, hope you can makes us here proud!

Agreed. Sounds like the kid was going to a major program the whole way and there was probably nothing programs like Mizzou or SLU could do to land him. A player like this would be great to have, but we'll be just fine. Of course if Ellis can get here and next year McCall is as good as Majerus thinks he'll be, we'll be very strong the next couple of years.

What proof do you have that "being the first to offer" really makes any difference at all. I'll answer it: None. Yes, I know kids say "ABC was the first to offer and really have been recruiting me the most/hardest..." but I frankly don't believe it. While there may be some situations and exceptions (school ABC has been recruiting for 2 years v. school XYZ has just shown interest 2 years ago b/c their first choice fell thru, such talk is just that - talk. I will bet any amount of money that when Beal chose FL over KS that he did not consider if either program had "offered" a week or two earlier. Guys like Beal have been receiving letter and interest from schools since 7th grade - and most likely even prior to that. I doubt these kids can really tell or remember who was "first" or not.

Slow start and coaching change as the reason Beal is not coming to SLU?? Certainly you don't believe that.

Veiled comparisons to Josh Harrelson?? You cannot be serious!!

5 star guys have offers from everyone. Everyone - especially the recruits - know this. If KS and FL "officially" offered first, or got word thru to his AAU coach, etc, then Beal know that every school wants him. There isn't a D1 school around (except maybe for SLU when St. Rich was coaching) that would not create or find an open spot for Beal. I am confident that Brad knew - years ago - that SLU wanted him and that he could be the local hometown star if he wanted. "Offering" Beal while a 7th or 8th grader or Freshman in highschool is not necessary. I am just glad SLU did not invest time into Beal like Romar did with Darius Miles.

As to Beal, I wish him the best but I know that he was never coming here anyway. I am, though, looking forward to reading all the "Sorry, I was wrong..." comments from all the regular KU posters. :P

I have no proof, obviously, in the same way you can't prove that it doesn't make a difference. Anecdotally, I've heard players give the argument, "I'm going to State because they were there from the start" and so on. I disagree that a kid doesn't remember who offered first. Sure, there are a ton of schools that have contacted him in the past two years, and it may have been that several offered in the span of a few weeks. But to say that he just flat out doesn't remember I find hard to believe.

I can't help but believe that if the local school, even though it's not a KU-caliber program, came right out of the gate with "Brad, we believe in you, and there's a scholarship waiting for you," that it wouldn't be in the mix throughout the process. Being the hometown team and the first to make that pitch makes a difference. It's the only reason we were in the conversation for Tyler Griffey, to think of one recent example.

I don't understand why you think I said that a coaching change or slow start are the reasons he didn't come to SLU. I said the coaching change timing may have been around the same time offers started to pour in for Beal, and that could have been a potential reason we weren't out of the gate with an offer to him. I was just trying to remember the timeline, that's all.

Josh Harrellson hasn't crossed my mind in a long time, and I made no references to him, explicit or implicit. I don't get how his name came up.

Based on the last several posts here, I suppose that I fundamentally disagree with many of you on SLU's potential recruitment of local 5-star players. I understand that there are limited resources in the recruiting budget, limited contacts allowed by the NCAA, and so forth. I just don't see why we'd use almost none of those on a nationally-ranked recruit in our backyard. Yes, Miles was never coming to SLU even though he told Romar it was second on his list to St. John's (and third if you include the NBA). Yes, David Lee never showed even a shred of interest in SLU. So I understand not devoting resources to obvious lost causes. And Hughes only came here because he wanted to stay close to his family, but that's actually a great example of how being the only program in a major market is a big advantage. If Beal had more of a pull to stay close to home for any reason, we have to show that we can be a great choice for him in addition to being the only way he can stay close to home. It happens.

I watch the NCAA Tournament every year like the rest of you, and the one thing every champion every year has in common is that team has the best talent. The goal of every D-I team is the same, to be that champion. So why not go after that level of talent if it's in your own city?

It was the "making up facts" thing, not the "Duke hater" thing that I cited to call him a left wing loonie.

He probably is not, but left wing loonies tend to grab one small tidbit and make it all encompassing and then flood the communication channels with it until a lot of people who do not do their homework belive it. He said all Duke athletes take sociology, etc, he heard that somewhere, throws it out all the time, not true at all. So maybe he is not a left wing loonie, but acts like one when it comes to Duke IMO. The question is, "why"?

Seriously, so many fans HATE Duke, it is funny in some ways, pathetic in others, cannot figure out why, in some ways I think it is a somewhat fascinating phenomenon.

People hate Duke for the same reason people hate ND football or Yankee baseball.

They have a long tradition of winning that has gotten them over exposed.

People get tired of all the love Duke receives for national media. Duke could have a top 50 team and the rankings come out and would have them in the top 5 because of the tradition.

I like Duke but I get why a lot of people dont like them.

As for Beal, I may be nuts or drinking to much SLU juice but I think if he was a class or two younger this is a recruit they could of landed.

Its still to early in the rebuilding process for a recruit like him to committ to SLU but I really believe in the next couple years SLU will have a chance to bring in 5 star local recruits.

Josh Harrellson hasn't crossed my mind in a long time, and I made no references to him, explicit or implicit. I don't get how his name came up.

Of course, now that his name has come up, I had to look up his stats. He's averaging 1.8 pts and 1 rebound in 6 minutes per game through six games.

as i said above, slu would be remiss if they didnt make at least a passing inquiry to any local recruit capable of bettering the billiken program. but as i said above, unless our staff finds a reason to give us an advantage make a standing offer and then move on and beyond a casual follow up i wouldnt spend any more time at this point in the program's development.

now if we start making regular visits to the final four like say north carolina, duke, michigan state, etc. (i hear an amazing michigan state statement over the weekend. no michigan state player that has been there for all four years since izzo has taken over has not experienced the final four?) then obviously the attention to the potentially better player should be racheted up.

box is exactly right that our previous coaches all fell into that trap of playing out the better players too long. one of the things i like about rickma is his common sense approach to the aspect of recruiting and who to go after who not. there is no doubt in my mind he has the vision to see what is truly obtainable and who isnt and maximizes the outcome better than any coach slu has had in my time of watching the team. couple that with the massive manuals on recruiting rules it is a wonder any coach can figure out the puzzle.

Here's the analogy that I think best describes the thought that SLU, being his hometown school, should've been his first offer. KU, Florida, Duke, and UNC; they are equivalent to what the Harvard's, Yale's and Dartmouth's are in the world of academia. Now imagine SLU is in the middle of the pack academically, as they are in basketball. Imagine that this kid has a 4.0 GPA and perfect ACT scores, and that the local school SLU gets to see the grades and scores before Harvard and Yale get to see them. Its not beyond belief for this kid to think, "WOW, Harvard and Yale have offered me an academic scholarship, while the local school that knew about my exploits, and is not as good as the schools who have already offered me scholarships and probably needs me more than other schools, yet this very school managed to overlook me, wait on the other schools to offer me a scholarship, and then months later after Cornell and Brown and several schools of that caliber also became interested, only then did my local school finally offer me an academic scholarship."

Sorry for the length. When you are the local school and dont offer a big-time prospect first, it has to in a lot of cases send the message to recruit that "Hey, you saw me first, and should've been more willing to take a chance on me than the elite schools who are very exclusive in who they go after. But you didnt. Those schools saw enough to offer me, but you didnt, even though you've had more of an opportunity to see me than they have and should've been able to see in me what they saw in me."

Just a thought. Offering first guarantees nothing, but I just done see how it could have any kind of negative consequences, especially with a local recruit.

Here's the analogy that I think best describes the thought that SLU, being his hometown school, should've been his first offer. KU, Florida, Duke, and UNC; they are equivalent to what the Harvard's, Yale's and Dartmouth's are in the world of academia. Now imagine SLU is in the middle of the pack academically, as they are in basketball. Imagine that this kid has a 4.0 GPA and perfect ACT scores, and that the local school SLU gets to see the grades and scores before Harvard and Yale get to see them. Its not beyond belief for this kid to think, "WOW, Harvard and Yale have offered me an academic scholarship, while the local school that knew about my exploits, and is not as good as the schools who have already offered me scholarships and probably needs me more than other schools, yet this very school managed to overlook me, wait on the other schools to offer me a scholarship, and then months later after Cornell and Brown and several schools of that caliber also became interested, only then did my local school finally offer me an academic scholarship."

Sorry for the length. When you are the local school and dont offer a big-time prospect first, it has to in a lot of cases send the message to recruit that "Hey, you saw me first, and should've been more willing to take a chance on me than the elite schools who are very exclusive in who they go after. But you didnt. Those schools saw enough to offer me, but you didnt, even though you've had more of an opportunity to see me than they have and should've been able to see in me what they saw in me."

Just a thought. Offering first guarantees nothing, but I just done see how it could have any kind of negative consequences, especially with a local recruit.

That kid called, he's going to harvard.

I have no proof, obviously, in the same way you can't prove that it doesn't make a difference. Anecdotally, I've heard players give the argument, "I'm going to State because they were there from the start" and so on. I disagree that a kid doesn't remember who offered first. Sure, there are a ton of schools that have contacted him in the past two years, and it may have been that several offered in the span of a few weeks. But to say that he just flat out doesn't remember I find hard to believe.

I can't help but believe that if the local school, even though it's not a KU-caliber program, came right out of the gate with "Brad, we believe in you, and there's a scholarship waiting for you," that it wouldn't be in the mix throughout the process. Being the hometown team and the first to make that pitch makes a difference. It's the only reason we were in the conversation for Tyler Griffey, to think of one recent example.

I don't understand why you think I said that a coaching change or slow start are the reasons he didn't come to SLU. I said the coaching change timing may have been around the same time offers started to pour in for Beal, and that could have been a potential reason we weren't out of the gate with an offer to him. I was just trying to remember the timeline, that's all.

Based on the last several posts here, I suppose that I fundamentally disagree with many of you on SLU's potential recruitment of local 5-star players. I understand that there are limited resources in the recruiting budget, limited contacts allowed by the NCAA, and so forth. I just don't see why we'd use almost none of those on a nationally-ranked recruit in our backyard. Yes, Miles was never coming to SLU even though he told Romar it was second on his list to St. John's (and third if you include the NBA). Yes, David Lee never showed even a shred of interest in SLU. So I understand not devoting resources to obvious lost causes. And Hughes only came here because he wanted to stay close to his family, but that's actually a great example of how being the only program in a major market is a big advantage. If Beal had more of a pull to stay close to home for any reason, we have to show that we can be a great choice for him in addition to being the only way he can stay close to home. It happens.

I watch the NCAA Tournament every year like the rest of you, and the one thing every champion every year has in common is that team has the best talent. The goal of every D-I team is the same, to be that champion. So why not go after that level of talent if it's in your own city?

Who's to say we did not offer Beal early? Somehow there is an underlying premise that SLU got in the recruiting game late in the process. Brad apparently had trouble deciding if he liked a kid or not, hesitated and angered some by not handing out scholarship offers early enough. That is not even close to the situation with Beal.

Also, I question your suggestion that SLU did not try to really recruit Beal. I simply don't buy it. If the customer does not like what the salesman is selling, it is not fair to say the saleman did really try or should have tried more/harder or should have tried earlier. Maybe the customer just preferred a different product.

Also, I am even more suspect listening to 16 and 17 year old and giving importance to each word they say. Who really believes that coaches truly "take each game one at a time", "aren't looking ahead to play ABC until after we first play XYZ" and ever other cliche going. The truth is that most local kids have lived here in St. Louis their whole lives, have not traveled extensively and have real concerns about leaving home. Therefore, SLU is often used as the "local" or "safe" choice if they decide not to leave home. Larry Hughes and his brother/mother were a good example. Guys like Chris Carawell, Jahidi White and others decide to leave town and therefore I truly question how close we really were to landing these guys. Yes, we offically came in second place but I truly doubt that.

I do agree, though, that now we have legitimate facilities, a legitimate head coach and are heading in the right direction and therefore we should be able to recruit 4, and even 5 start, recruits. A 24 win season and appearance in the NCAA's, though, would sure make us a more credible choice. Florida got a nice and special kid. At the same time, Beal is not the only good player out there and I'd suggest it is premature to hand FL the 2011 NCAA Tournament trophy.

Come on, a true 5* kid like Beal will never come to SLU when KU and Florida type programs are offering him a schollie.

Even if we are "first".

The only one we got was a fluke, Hughes had personal reasons to go to SLU.

Only longshot chance is if SLU really improves and starts winning next year, and a local 5 or 4 decides to play for RM because of his reputation coaching bigs. No way a 1-2-3 stays here that can go to top 10 elite program.

We landed one before Hughes, but he wasn't admitted to the school. Upchurch was actually considered a better recruit coming out of high school. He had his choice of top programs before he chose SLU. It can happen, but it has to be the right kid.

We landed one before Hughes, but he wasn't admitted to the school. Upchurch was actually considered a better recruit coming out of high school. He had his choice of top programs before he chose SLU. It can happen, but it has to be the right kid.

brian i think even 10 years ago a recruit could be gotten by convincing them they were the final piece of the puzzle. ie upchurch. but in the last decade the haves and have nots gap has widened tremendously and i dont think that happens any more.

Are you really going back 20+ years to prove your point?

[sorry for the length. When you are the local school and dont offer a big-time prospect first, it has to in a lot of cases send the message to recruit that "Hey, you saw me first, and should've been more willing to take a chance on me than the elite schools who are very exclusive in who they go after. But you didnt. Those schools saw enough to offer me, but you didnt, even though you've had more of an opportunity to see me than they have and should've been able to see in me what they saw in me."

Your scenario is simply not applicable to Beal. Beal had all the schools (SLU included) very interested before he even started his Sophomore year in high school.

Your scenario is more applicable to late bloomers (those who received few offers prior to their Senior year) and therefore have a chip on their shoulder. Unless we throw scholarships at everyone who might turn into something, there will always be kids with chips on their shoulders. Recall, though, that SLU need not only build their program with local kids but instead might likely benefit from selecting non-local kids who have chips on their shoulders at not being appreciated and respected by their local schools. I would bet that Oregon wishes they had BC and that Wisc wishes they had KM.

Who's to say we did not offer Beal early? Somehow there is an underlying premise that SLU got in the recruiting game late in the process. Brad apparently had trouble deciding if he liked a kid or not, hesitated and angered some by not handing out scholarship offers early enough. That is not even close to the situation with Beal.

Also, I question your suggestion that SLU did not try to really recruit Beal. I simply don't buy it. If the customer does not like what the salesman is selling, it is not fair to say the saleman did really try or should have tried more/harder or should have tried earlier. Maybe the customer just preferred a different product.

Also, I am even more suspect listening to 16 and 17 year old and giving importance to each word they say. Who really believes that coaches truly "take each game one at a time", "aren't looking ahead to play ABC until after we first play XYZ" and ever other cliche going. The truth is that most local kids have lived here in St. Louis their whole lives, have not traveled extensively and have real concerns about leaving home. Therefore, SLU is often used as the "local" or "safe" choice if they decide not to leave home. Larry Hughes and his brother/mother were a good example. Guys like Chris Carawell, Jahidi White and others decide to leave town and therefore I truly question how close we really were to landing these guys. Yes, we offically came in second place but I truly doubt that.

I do agree, though, that now we have legitimate facilities, a legitimate head coach and are heading in the right direction and therefore we should be able to recruit 4, and even 5 start, recruits. A 24 win season and appearance in the NCAA's, though, would sure make us a more credible choice. Florida got a nice and special kid. At the same time, Beal is not the only good player out there and I'd suggest it is premature to hand FL the 2011 NCAA Tournament trophy.

Kelvin Lee, former SLU assistant and current Chaminade head coach, expressed surprise at how late SLU offered and how little they seemed to be after him compared to KU, Florida, Illinois, etc. I'm curious what you know about the situation and why you think we did offer as early as the others.

I'll never underestimate the importance of being the in-town school for any good local player, regardless of whether we're seen as the safe choice or not. That can work in our favor sometimes.

Hughes came to SLU for one year, was given the keys to the offense, and was named National Freshman Player of the Year that season. He was a lottery pick and is still playing in the NBA. I'm guessing he doesn't regret staying home for his lone collegiate season. That said, most of the guys we'll be recruiting now were in first grade when that happened. We still have a lot of positives to sell kids on with this program and I still don't see the negatives to going after the best local recruits.

as to left wing loonie, that hurt the most. no one has ever accused me of being associated with the left side of the political spectrum before. i will apologize if you take that back.

;) I know this was a while ago, but I have to take the time to laugh at it. That might be the most insulting thing you could call Roy short of a Mizzou fan (not trying to start something, just sayin'). After reading his political joke emails for several years, I'd bring a jacket to hell before I'd call Roy a liberal. :lol:

Kelvin Lee, former SLU assistant and current Chaminade head coach, expressed surprise at how late SLU offered and how little they seemed to be after him compared to KU, Florida, Illinois, etc. I'm curious what you know about the situation and why you think we did offer as early as the others.

I'll never underestimate the importance of being the in-town school for any good local player, regardless of whether we're seen as the safe choice or not. That can work in our favor sometimes.

Hughes came to SLU for one year, was given the keys to the offense, and was named National Freshman Player of the Year that season. He was a lottery pick and is still playing in the NBA. I'm guessing he doesn't regret staying home for his lone collegiate season. That said, most of the guys we'll be recruiting now were in first grade when that happened. We still have a lot of positives to sell kids on with this program and I still don't see the negatives to going after the best local recruits.

No one is against "going after the best local recruits." You're positions of wanting top local kids are nothing different than every other Billiken fan.

As to your statements regarding Kelvin Lee, if true, that would be newsworthy. According to Kelvin Lee, when did SLU offer Beal? For that matter, when did FL, KU and IL offer Beal. If you know, that would be helpful information.

As to your other comments, "how little SLU seemed to be after him compared to KU, Florida, Illinois, etc.", you would agree that effort is a completely different argument than timing/being the first to offer. Also, effort would seem to correlate more to Beal's interest back at SLU. If Beal says he wants to go away to school and play in a big conference, 3 and 4 years of daily recruiting to convince him otherwise does not seem productive.

No one is against "going after the best local recruits." You're positions of wanting top local kids are nothing different than every other Billiken fan.

As to your statements regarding Kelvin Lee, if true, that would be newsworthy. According to Kelvin Lee, when did SLU offer Beal? For that matter, when did FL, KU and IL offer Beal. If you know, that would be helpful information.

As to your other comments, "how little SLU seemed to be after him compared to KU, Florida, Illinois, etc.", you would agree that effort is a completely different argument than timing/being the first to offer. Also, effort would seem to correlate more to Beal's interest back at SLU. If Beal says he wants to go away to school and play in a big conference, 3 and 4 years of daily recruiting to convince him otherwise does not seem productive.

You said earlier: "I am just glad SLU did not invest time into Beal like Romar did with Darius Miles." To me, that seems like not wanting to go after the best local recruit.

Effort and timing in recruiting are not separate arguments, and I would say they go hand in hand. If we were the first to offer, or at least around the same time, and then followed that up with the strongest effort in recruiting him, that's a huge difference. We were neither of those. I don't understand how those can be different arguments; it's all one process.

Beal didn't say from the start he wanted to go away and play in a big conference. Kids might say things like 'Duke/UNC/wherever is a dream school' and 'I want to play this style of ball' and 'I want to compete for a national title' and all those things that every single recruit says and thinks. That doesn't mean a kid getting offers from all over is going to have blinders on. As Nate pointed out, SLU did offer Beal and he did visit the school. With David Lee, it wouldn't have been worth bothering; he said from the start he wasn't interested in going to SLU and SLU therefore stayed out.

You said earlier: "I am just glad SLU did not invest time into Beal like Romar did with Darius Miles." To me, that seems like not wanting to go after the best local recruit.

Effort and timing in recruiting are not separate arguments, and I would say they go hand in hand. If we were the first to offer, or at least around the same time, and then followed that up with the strongest effort in recruiting him, that's a huge difference. We were neither of those. I don't understand how those can be different arguments; it's all one process.

Beal didn't say from the start he wanted to go away and play in a big conference. Kids might say things like 'Duke/UNC/wherever is a dream school' and 'I want to play this style of ball' and 'I want to compete for a national title' and all those things that every single recruit says and thinks. That doesn't mean a kid getting offers from all over is going to have blinders on. As Nate pointed out, SLU did offer Beal and he did visit the school. With David Lee, it wouldn't have been worth bothering; he said from the start he wasn't interested in going to SLU and SLU therefore stayed out.

Again. When did SLU offer and when did the others offer?

As to timing and effort, they are completely different. If you disagree, I guess we will just agree to disagree.

As to local recruits, we should, and apparently did, try to get Beal. Spending a huge amount of your resources on a given player is not the same as offering, offering early showing interest. Continually kissing a players ass for 3 or 4 years - just b/c he is local - makes no sense. Goodbye Beal and hello McCall.