Billiken Roar

billboards. that ought to do it. now we'll roll.

Thank you, Debbie Downer. I figured your disdain would have more to do with the fact that the billboards have been spoted on the Missouri side of the river.

I guess I don't get your negativity here- years complaining about the marketing efforts by the SLU athletic department and they actually came up with some pretty badass imagery for this one and it's not enough. I know a few billboards and website splashes aren't enough to rally the whole city behind SLU basketball, but let's take the positives and run with them. At the end of the day, your gripe is and always will be that they never make you, as an alum and season ticket holder and Billiken Club member, feel important enough.

I was a SLU marketing major, class of 2005, and I love the campaign with Femi and Paul. It also might be an unintentional (or just subtle) nose-thumbing at Mizzou, as actual Billikens have never been known for their 'roar' in the way Tigers have. But then again, I'm probably reaching there. I hope they keep this campaign up.

Were you not pretty happy with the Tommie and Kevin billboards last year?

There were several Billiken Basketball billboards in IL last season (I saw two that were geared towards making Illini-NOISE for Lisch) so I'm hoping they reach across the river again this year.

I'm on board for this marketing campaign. I think it's sharp and will grab people's attention. Now if KSDK, KMOV, KTVI, would give us free commercial air time. :)

Thank you, Debbie Downer. I figured your disdain would have more to do with the fact that the billboards have been spoted on the Missouri side of the river.

I guess I don't get your negativity here- years complaining about the marketing efforts by the SLU athletic department and they actually came up with some pretty badass imagery for this one and it's not enough. I know a few billboards and website splashes aren't enough to rally the whole city behind SLU basketball, but let's take the positives and run with them. At the end of the day, your gripe is and always will be that they never make you, as an alum and season ticket holder and Billiken Club member, feel important enough.

I was a SLU marketing major, class of 2005, and I love the campaign with Femi and Paul. It also might be an unintentional (or just subtle) nose-thumbing at Mizzou, as actual Billikens have never been known for their 'roar' in the way Tigers have. But then again, I'm probably reaching there. I hope they keep this campaign up.

Well-placed billboards are an effective means of marketing, IMO.

I like this campaign too - it's good to see a little attitude. It certainly beats "Pittino is coming..."

How does the WR board look? I can imagine he could look pretty tough! Kinda has a KG (Keving Garnett) look to him anyway.

I am surprised I haven't seen any KM, has anyone? He was pretty prevelant in the P-D ads earlier and one would assume he would be a centerpiece to any campaigns.

Hopefully they get some fans roaring! That could be cool, although they might need to wait to get some live shots for that.

How does the WR board look? I can imagine he could look pretty tough! Kinda has a KG (Keving Garnett) look to him anyway.

I am surprised I haven't seen any KM, has anyone? He was pretty prevelant in the P-D ads earlier and one would assume he would be a centerpiece to any campaigns.

Hopefully they get some fans roaring! That could be cool, although they might need to wait to get some live shots for that.

Just caught a glance of it with his number. Looked nice.

Well-placed billboards are an effective means of marketing, IMO.

I like this campaign too - it's good to see a little attitude. It certainly beats "Pittino is coming..."

Billboards are probably the 2nd most effective outside of internet. Radio spots are virtually useless, tv is spread so thin anymore, and the newspaper is even more useless than the radio. Internet and billboard is a good way to go for the marketing. The resident curmudgeon doesn't like them I'm sure, but so what.

Has slu started sending email reminders to the @slu.edu email list about games? Like a "Hey theres a mens/womens basketball game tonight, walk across campus and come check it out." Easy enough right? They never did it from 02-06, so hopefully that has changed. The little white sandwich type board out front of west pine never really did it for me.

all i am saying is that billboards shouldnt be the only or the main aspect of promoting the team. and sadly the best form of promotion at this time of year costs virtually nothing. we should be hearing and seeing rickma, porter, chris may, shimmy etc on tv and radio and reading human interest bits on the internet and newspapers so much we start wondering if we are over doing it. visit rotary clubs, chamber meetings, appearances at area schools, etc. now an appearance or a read is so rare when it happens it is a one day big deal here at billikens.com.

for anyone to insinuate that this (a few billboards) is just great is missing the big picture. yes the billboards are fine. but it doesnt replace the needed elbow rubbing, glad handing and rubber chicken appearances.

and for those short timers to the board, i have been singing this song for years.

Add me to the Negative Nellys. We'll see what ancillary support the boards get, but the campaign just doesn't ring right to the old ad guy in me:

1) With all due respect to Paul, Willie and Femi (and especially Femi), no one off this board has the first idea who they are. It reinforces the fact that we also have a serious no-name schedule this year.

2) Who's the target audience? Casual fans? Billiken fans who haven't pulled the trigger yet?

3) If we're trying to set up the foundation for a tradition (which seems pretty appropriate for this year), I don't see any long-term equity in "Billiken Roar."

Maybe I'm old. Maybe it'll catch on. We'll see. (On a side note, I hope they've included the viral/internet strategy someone else mentioned. The students need to be marketed to on an almost constant basis starting just about today.)

The billboards are nice; I see no reason to criticize or complain about them.

The real marketing comes from success on the court. If the team ever cracks the top 25 again, the local media and fans will quickly discover it. Until then, all of the marketing in the world will only provide a limited short-term return.

I see the modern era of Mizzou football as the perfect analogy. 5 years ago you could hardly find a MU football game on TV, and only the core group of boosters and season ticket holders really followed the program closely. Then, three years ago, they crack the top 10 and every Tom, Dick, and Harry is a sweatshirt and visor-wearing, flag-in-the-front-lawn flying, tiger beer-huggy toting, and black and gold baby-covering "lifetime" fan. Now, we find ourselves inundated with the crap. Every time I browse the paper, flip on the TV, or turn on talk radio MU football is there. We saw a similar phenomenon with Spoonball 16 years ago, and we will see it once again under Majerus if they ever get real good again. Of course the flip side is that if you don't maintain the success the media and fans who have jumped on the bandwagon will just as quickly jump off.

The real marketing comes from success on the court. If the team ever cracks the top 25 again, the local media and fans will quickly discover it. Until then, all of the marketing in the world will only provide a limited short-term return.

I see the modern era of Mizzou football as the perfect analogy. 5 years ago you could hardly find a MU football game on TV, and only the core group of boosters and season ticket holders really followed the program closely. Then, three years ago, they crack the top 10 and every Tom, Dick, and Harry is a sweatshirt and visor-wearing, flag-in-the-front-lawn flying, tiger beer-huggy toting, and black and gold baby-covering "lifetime" fan. Now, we find ourselves inundated with the crap. Every time I browse the paper, flip on the TV, or turn on talk radio MU football is there. We saw a similar phenomenon with Spoonball 16 years ago, and we will see it once again under Majerus if they ever get real good again. Of course the flip side is that if you don't maintain the success the media and fans who have jumped on the bandwagon will just as quickly jump off.

-i agree david

-btw, at least one billboard in st charles coounty i saw over the weekend but i can't remember where

I agree that the "real" marketing - winning - is what is needed. At the same time, you aren't suggesting, or are you, that SLU and the Athletic Department should do nothing off-the-court??

As the content of the "Roar" marketing campaign. I agree with Bonwich but at least am glad they are doing something. I love the billboard idea - I would just choose a different marketing campaign.

Agree also with Roy. If our head coach and most visible/likely ambassador (RM) does not want to do the rubber chicken circuit and be the team's top cheerleader (which again is free, possible the most effective and one in which we ALL know he would be great at doing), then SOMEONE needs to do it or it just simply won't get done.

Is it normal to have a highly visible assistant coach be another "face" of the program? NO. At the same time, if Porter Moser is supposed to be the heir apparent to RM (I know many don't want to have this discussion now and I don't really want Porter to be the successor either), then Porter should be all over the airwaves (TV and radio). Also, I still question the hire of AD Chris May who might be doing a really good job - and whose behind the scenes approach would probably work well with a head coach like Spoon - but when your head coach is like RM, I'd argue you need more of a visible and media/attention-craving AD.

As to the "meet the Billiken" production tonight. I have no interest in driving to campus unless the team is wearing their uniforms (game or practice) and basketball shoes and bouncing the basketballs on the Court. Seeing the boys in dressed in street clothes like they're appearing on a "Docker's" commercial and having RM say the same things does nothing for me. Bring back the Blue & White game. It would be a structure environment/practice, real game officials would be used, the day would not be a wasted "mid-night madness" concept which can risk injury and set the wrong tone for the team/season. I understand that RM doesn't sit in my office and watch me work and that I shouldn't expect to sit in his "office", but please. Give the fans and booster a sneak preview.

Oh well, the season is about to start. And as Bernie likes to write "Free Cody Ellis."

I agree that the "real" marketing - winning - is what is needed. At the same time, you aren't suggesting, or are you, that SLU and the Athletic Department should do nothing off-the-court??

As the content of the "Roar" marketing campaign. I agree with Bonwich but at least am glad they are doing something. I love the billboard idea - I would just choose a different marketing campaign.

Agree also with Roy. If our head coach and most visible/likely ambassador (RM) does not want to do the rubber chicken circuit and be the team's top cheerleader (which again is free, possible the most effective and one in which we ALL know he would be great at doing), then SOMEONE needs to do it or it just simply won't get done.

Agree with all of this. I'm not a fan of the campaign. Billboards and publicity are great.

What is the count of Billboards so far?

7?

well said clock.

what bugs me is that when rickma graces us with media time, for the most part he is show. he obviously loves to talk basketball, has a deep respect for basketball history and tradition, so why not? sorry, i dont buy "he doesnt have time".

i would bet most of the local media would be willing to work their schedule around rickma time, anywhere, anyplace.

For what it's worth, a certain un-named program 100 miles -- edit - West -- of St. Louis just had their annual Black & Gold game. And guess what?? there was an article about it in the newspaper which probably was read by many of their fans - both loyal and casual.

Bring back the Blue and White game!!

I am not saying that the program shouldn't do any marketing, but marketing (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the problem. They can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on billboards, TV spots, promos, etc. and Majerus can show up at every event in town, and all it will do is lead to some short-term attendance gains. On the other hand, if the team opens the season 12-0 and they don't spend a dime on marketing, I can guarantee the fan base and media attention will have significant gains that will stick as long as the team maintains the winning. It happened 16 years ago at SLU. It happened 3 years ago at Faurot Field. Winning is everything; the rest is just details.

Ah, yes. The "Just win, baby," argument. Which neglects the fact that the vast majority of college basketball teams aren't "winners" in any given year -- they're either losers, or somewhere in the middle of the pack. Yet somehow lots of them manage to get consistent good home crowds, have "traditions," etc. etc.

It ain't basketball, but crossreference the Boston College athletic site right now. First splash screen you see is special ticket offers for hockey and football. And BC's football team is a perfect example of a slightly above the middle of the pack team. 2-3-4 losses every season, arguably some sort of "tradition" in place. Now, we don't know what kind of overall marketing they do, but I bet they do it, because that's how you gain incremental fans, build traditions, establish yourself in the community, blah blah blah.