More about Cody Ellis

I think I hear the fat lady already singing. I hope it isn't her but I cannot see how this is going to work out for Ellis and the Billikens. Hope I am wrong.

We seem to have a good core of players. It seems to me that if we are to be NCCA tournament bound in the 2010 -2011 season we will need to sign at least one very high level junior college big man. Otherwise we might be three years away from contending for a tournament spot (or more).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-i agree as there will come a point when since he has not registered for school he won't be able to attend and according to doc that day is thursday, so any day now seems correct.

I beg to differ with respect to the drop dead date being Thursday. Dean's of the various schools have the power to extend this date due to extentuating circumstances.

I work in the Admission Office, and I know for a fact that people are still able to enroll in the University. Is it advised? No. Is it going to be easy to start two weeks late? No. But the counselors were just talking to me about it today. (I am talking about people who haven't even applied yet!)

I work in the Admission Office, and I know for a fact that people are still able to enroll in the University. Is it advised? No. Is it going to be easy to start two weeks late? No. But the counselors were just talking to me about it today. (I am talking about people who haven't even applied yet!)

Like I said to open the thread, based upon what Rammer told me, we can wait at least another week (maybe two) before we start writing Ellis off.

-i agree as there will come a point when since he has not registered for school he won't be able to attend and according to doc that day is thursday, so any day now seems correct.

-i for one do not want my alma matter to change academic rules for athletes, much bigger picture to me is the reputation of the school than getting one player, as much as i would like to have him based on reports

-it seems like the fat lady is warming up, i hope the ***** never gets to sing on this one and all turns out for the good

Cowboy. With all due respect, SLU is not changing its rules for athletes. You are free to your opinion but I just don't see the comparision between CE who has applied to SLU, signed written commitment to attend SLU, has signed his scholarship papers, has received his schedule and dorm assignments with some guy off the street who decides to walk into DuBourg Hall and says, "I think I would like to go to school here." No ordinary student must petition and wait for approval by the NCAA Clearinghouse. If what we are being told is correct, the delay is being caused by the Clearinghouse which is more concerned with Fall Sport athletes right now and with what do with the square peg (Pass/Fail grade) with respect to their round hole (NCAA GPA formula). You are concerned about the reputation of SLU because an understaffed NCAA Clearinghouse is delaying approval of a kid who has complied with everything in his control? I say FedEX CE his textbooks, videotape and send a few classes and get the tutors ready. I hope the Clearinghouse can approve CE within the next 30 days.

Cowboy. With all due respect, SLU is not changing its rules for athletes. You are free to your opinion but I just don't see the comparision between CE who has applied to SLU, signed written commitment to attend SLU, has signed his scholarship papers, has received his schedule and dorm assignments with some guy off the street who decides to walk into DuBourg Hall and says, "I think I would like to go to school here." No ordinary student must petition and wait for approval by the NCAA Clearinghouse. If what we are being told is correct, the delay is being caused by the Clearinghouse which is more concerned with Fall Sport athletes right now and with what do with the square peg (Pass/Fail grade) with respect to their round hole (NCAA GPA formula). You are concerned about the reputation of SLU because an understaffed NCAA Clearinghouse is delaying approval of a kid who has complied with everything in his control? I say FedEX CE his textbooks, videotape and send a few classes and get the tutors ready. I hope the Clearinghouse can approve CE within the next 30 days.

-i don't want to come across as some holier than thou person

-clock, maybe i don't understand the situation, but couldn't CE be in school as the clearinghouse is ruling on his athletic eligibility? to me that is the difference as i believe he could be in school while waiting to hear if he can play hoops when the season starts

-if i have the situation wrong, my bad

1) I think Ellis is probably closer in size to BC than BT, so if you are referring to him as a big body, I think you would have to lump BC in that group also.

'Size' in this case referred to mass. Ellis is supposed to be 240. That's closer to the weight of BT than Willie. We don't have a big body on the roster. Do you want to see Conklin playing center? If so, you're in luck. We may see some of it this season.

'Size' in this case referred to mass. Ellis is supposed to be 240. That's closer to the weight of BT than Willie. We don't have a big body on the roster. Do you want to see Conklin playing center? If so, you're in luck. We may see some of it this season.

It might not be any worse than having David Robinson (the SLU version, not the all-time NBA great) and Donnie Campbell man the center position.

I'm not sure we want Cody Ellis at center, either. But we'll probably see some of that this season.

How many teams in the A-10 last year that has a lot of big body? not that many most team played three and four guard offense last year. when ever we has the height advantage it did us no good because RM allway let the other team dictate his starting five. just because ellis have an big body don't mean anythings until we see him play.

-i don't want to come across as some holier than thou person

-clock, maybe i don't understand the situation, but couldn't CE be in school as the clearinghouse is ruling on his athletic eligibility? to me that is the difference as i believe he could be in school while waiting to hear if he can play hoops when the season starts

-if i have the situation wrong, my bad

cowboy it is my understanding that until he is cleared by the ncaa as a legitimate student athlete per ncaa guidelines he is not eligible to receive any athletic scholarship money or assistance. i.e. he would pay his way over from austrailia, he would pay 100% of his fees, housing and tuition and would not be allowed to do any of the student athlete stuff the rest of the team does. a lot of students couldnt afford that.

I am not sure I want to see Ellis playing center either. From what I have seen in the highlights, Conklin looks like he has just as much "mass" as Cody. In fact, Cody's body type looked more like Chris Sloan as a senior than a wide-body (which to me is a good thing for a guy that is a shooter-scorer). He did not look skinny or heavy - just had about the right size for a forward. But maybe it is just the highlight video on my small laptop screen.

I don't think Conklin did bad as a backup center last year and he does give you some muscle. Willie is the tall shotblocker and Conklin is the muscle and hopefully Ellis is the scorer with enough size and fundamental skill to play "D".

I do agree that it would be nice to have a 6-10 stronger center, but after years of having just one starting big guy with a perimeter player manning the PF position, I think we are in a better position underneath. The problem if Ellis does not come is the lack of ability to score.

cowboy it is my understanding that until he is cleared by the ncaa as a legitimate student athlete per ncaa guidelines he is not eligible to receive any athletic scholarship money or assistance. i.e. he would pay his way over from austrailia, he would pay 100% of his fees, housing and tuition and would not be allowed to do any of the student athlete stuff the rest of the team does. a lot of students couldnt afford that.

Roy. If you are correct, then even more reason to treat CE differently.

Cowboy. I agree with you that CE (aside from Roy's points) could be in school awaiting the result. For instance, if Fall sports/football guys are ahead of Winter sports/basketball guys are waiting to be cleared to play this weekend, then obviously these Fall Sports/football guys have started school and been practicing with their teams. I tried to find the answer as to when Ruben Cotto received his clearance (before or after the start of school) but could not find anything on the Internet. If memory is correct, he was approved prior to the start of school.

If Roy is correct, though, then how/why are the football guys accepting benefits and practicing with their teams/scholarship players and what arrangements have they made with the school to pay their own way. I doubt any money has been paid by the football guys to their schools. What concerns me, though, is that if this is relatively common for guys to enroll, practice and wait for final clearance, then does CE and his father know something we don't know? Maybe if CE and his family lived here locally, he'd be in school. I'm hoping that because he lives in Austrailia, that such distance/expense may be the only difference and not something else.

billiken roy, this is not true because willie reed started summer school before he got clear by the ncaa and he did not get clear until middle of september.

billiken roy, this is not true because willie reed started summer school before he got clear by the ncaa and he did not get clear until middle of september.

and you know he didnt pay any money or sign any grant agreement or was in a position fasfawise to receive in need money?

and you know he didnt pay any money or sign any grant agreement or was in a position fasfawise to receive in need money?

I know he did not pay any money and he did sign a scholarship / grant agreemet, he has the grades and pass the act test to get in school and the ncaa cannot keep you out of school but they can keep you from playing sports your first year of eligibility.

I know he did not pay any money and he did sign a scholarship / grant agreemet, he has the grades and pass the act test to get in school and the ncaa cannot keep you out of school but they can keep you from playing sports your first year of eligibility.

but you dont know his fasfa situation correct?

Let just say i know everythings that went on because i was there.

I see you are new to the board....you are learning early that Billiken Roy is like dealing with the BORG, it is futile. :lol:

I thought foreign students don't take the ACT/SAT - at least that was what was posted yesterday??

Only time will tell but the author's analysis of CE probably playing the 4 is consistent with earlier reports that RM may actually run a 3 guard offense.

Can't CE play the 4 and the bills still run a 3 guard offense