Kentucky Transfers

Hoopmasters.com is reporting that three players at Kentucky have asked for their release. Since I don't subscribe to that website I have no idea as to their identities. Can anyone out there come up with the names?

SLU Fan

Not sure, but I found this on A Sea of Blue:

"Well, the dominoes are falling one after another. Kentucky Sports Radio is reporting that Michael Avery, the 8th grader that committed to Kentucky last year, has rescinded his verbal commitment to UK. As if that weren't enough, Dakotah Euton has also apparently decided that Coach Calipari's style is not for him.

One thing we know for sure -- Calipari's style of basketball is not conventional in the least, and I think what we are seeing here is a lot of kids realizing (probably with some words of wisdom from the coach) that the Dribble-drive Motion Offense is not the kind offense you can play if you are slow of foot, a post-up player or a spot-up shooter. This offense requires you to be able to get your own shot and take your defender off the bounce. Can't do that? Either go elsewhere or prepare to watch a lot of good basketball from a really good seat, but don't expect to play at Kentucky.

Star-divide

New coach, new style, new Kentucky. How will this all shake out? I don't know, but I do believe that Josh Harrelson is very likely to be the next domino to fall. Do I want that to happen? Well, only if it is in the best interest of both the player and the school, and both parties agree that is so.

One thing we can be sure of -- there will be no seniors leaving, or transferring. That leaves really five players who could decide their interests are better served by changing schools:

1. DeAndre Liggins

2. Josh Harrellson

3. A.J. Stewart

4. Darius Miller

5. Patrick Patterson

Now Patterson may go pro, but there is no way in Hell he is going to transfer. I'd be very surprised if Miller did not stay, which leaves Liggins, Stewart and Harrellson. Of those three, based on what we have seen with the future recruits it looks to me like Harrellson is the most likely to decide that Calipari's system is not for him. Stewart and Liggins are likely to want to give it a try, and KSR also says that Calipari is going to hold a practice, presumably to evaluate the rest of these guys and tell them how it is likely to shake out."

, and KSR also says that Calipari is going to hold a practice, presumably to evaluate the rest of these guys and tell them how it is likely to shake out."

-i don't recall rick doing this, did he? it could be i just don't remember

-i guess this is ok per the ncaa

Guest BillikenReport

-i don't recall rick doing this, did he? it could be i just don't remember

Majerus had an entire season to evaluate who was on the roster.

Don't NCAA rules allow for practice through the Final Four for all teams? Rick was hired so late after the season, this rule didn't apply to his situation.

-i thought when your season ended your practice ended, but i don't know that for sure

Guest BillikenReport

-the roster when rick got hired was tl,kl,lm,db,dp,bh,dm - did he have practice in april to evaluate these players like calipari is said to be doing?

It's a different situation. Majerus got hired so late in the process that there was no time to really make changes to the roster. He was able to sign Eberhardt, who BS had been recruiting, and then added Eckerle.

In Cal's case, there is still time to recruit and sign players this spring. So he can look at what players UK has and figure out who can help him going forward and who is better off looking for another school. UK is also lacking in scholarship offers to give, so if he wants to bring in new players he'll have to make room on the roster.

So he can look at what players UK has and figure out who can help him going forward and who is better off looking for another school. UK is also lacking in scholarship offers to give, so if he wants to bring in new players he'll have to make room on the roster.

I don't understand. I thought Rick Majerus was the only coach who did this?

It's a different situation. Majerus got hired so late in the process that there was no time to really make changes to the roster. He was able to sign Eberhardt, who BS had been recruiting, and then added Eckerle.

In Cal's case, there is still time to recruit and sign players this spring. So he can look at what players UK has and figure out who can help him going forward and who is better off looking for another school. UK is also lacking in scholarship offers to give, so if he wants to bring in new players he'll have to make room on the roster.

-thanks nate, i was not seeing the difference, i think i get it now

I don't understand. I thought Rick Majerus was the only coach who did this?

we'll see if kentucky cuts everyone but three players.

I remember that there was some kind of window in which a team could have a practice or workout when Majerus was hired. Since he was hired so late (end of April), he caught the end of the window, but he still was able to get in one practice with his new players. Here's the timeline as I remember it:

Friday: Majerus and SLU agree on a contract and the university puts out a press release announcing that Rick was the new coach.

Saturday: Majerus gets to have a practice/workout with the returning SLU players.

Monday: SLU holds the press conference introducing Majerus as the new coach.

-the roster when rick got hired was tl,kl,lm,db,dp,bh,dm - did he have practice in april to evaluate these players like calipari is said to be doing?

Yes he did - he was allowed to do individual practices as a new coach. I am not sure how many but he did do a few.

I think this is where the rule change that would allow kids to transfer without having to sit out a year would make perfect sense. Maybe restrict it to kids completing their first year at the school. All others are locked in to the same typical transfer rules. I say that because I can't see giving say a Derrick Brown at Xavier an open chance, as a returning senior, to bolt to the highest bidder because Miller leaves to go to Arizona (as rumored on another thread). Besides, no one can transfer in to another school and graduate in one year anyway, athlete or not. There is at least, I think, a two year-60 credit hours rule for all kids to get a degree from a four-year institution. And while we all know education and athletes is not really a linked deal at most places, there should be some semblence to the greater good maintained.

Otherwise, the NBDL awaits.

Guest BillikenReport

Cousins committed to Kentucky last night.

Even though he is likely to be a one-and-done guy, this could affect UK signee Daniel Orton as well as Josh Harrellson.

Cousins is in the Patrick Patterson mold of an athletic big man, but maybe even better than Patterson.

Cousins committed to Kentucky last night.

Even though he is likely to be a one-and-done guy, this could affect UK signee Daniel Orton as well as Josh Harrellson.

Cousins is in the Patrick Patterson mold of an athletic big man, but maybe even better than Patterson.

Surprise.... surprise.... not! JC spends Memphis money recruiting the kid and voila he signs with KY..... the NCAA ought to have some compensation rule for this. As for Harrelson, he's got to be a little concerned right about now he's probably wishing he'd signed with SLU. There may not even be a scholie for him next year. I'd bet a week's pay, he's had some sitdowns with John Calipari that maybe, just maybe, he might want to consider another program. I don't think Patterson's NBA ready at this time, so he's probably staying. I don't know anything about Orton. but isn't he a WC kid? He may well ask for his release ala Hollins at UCLA and would get it I'd imagine, unless JC is really high on him.

Guest BillikenReport

Surprise.... surprise.... not! JC spends Memphis money recruiting the kid and voila he signs with KY..... the NCAA ought to have some compensation rule for this. As for Harrelson, he's got to be a little concerned right about now he's probably wishing he'd signed with SLU. There may not even be a scholie for him next year. I'd bet a week's pay, he's had some sitdowns with John Calipari that maybe, just maybe, he might want to consider another program. I don't think Patterson's NBA ready at this time, so he's probably staying. I don't know anything about Orton. but isn't he a WC kid? He may well ask for his release ala Hollins at UCLA and would get it I'd imagine, unless JC is really high on him.

Orton is from Oklahoma, so there's a chance he could opt out of his letter and head to OK or OK State.

If Patterson stays, then Harrellson is probably buried on the depth chart behind Patterson, Cousins and Stevenson and then possibly Orton. That's a tough situation, but that's what happens when you go to a school like that. Billy G. was going to try to recruit over him, but now he's got a better coach with a different system bringing in his own guys.

Orton is from Oklahoma, so there's a chance he could opt out of his letter and head to OK or OK State.

If Patterson stays, then Harrellson is probably buried on the depth chart behind Patterson, Cousins and Stevenson and then possibly Orton. That's a tough situation, but that's what happens when you go to a school like that. Billy G. was going to try to recruit over him, but now he's got a better coach with a different system bringing in his own guys.

I don't recall Memphis having too many slow footed kids on their teams.

They also have freshman Darius Miller who seemed to jump ahead of JH on the depth chart as the season progressed.

Josh Harrellson just needs a couple more years under his belt and he'll be right up there with Blake Ahearn as the most talked about non Billiken in the program's history.

They get attention only because they are two recruits who wanted to come to SLU but deemed not good enough by our highly esteemed former coach.