Brett Thompson

Scoop

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited for Brett's potential. Will he be attending a big man camp this off season? If not, what is his off season avenue for development?

It's unlikely that he will be attending any big-man camp this summer, according to what Coach Jensen said on the Coach Majerus show a while back after I posed such a question on the air. Coach Jensen and the rest of the coaching staff will be working with him, as well as all of the other players, until May.

Brett has a nice shooting touch facing the basket. I would like to see him develop a go-to move in the low post.

With a seemingly good group of guard players, KM, Reid, Saelich, KC, Smith, on hand, I still think inside play is going to determine our future sucess. You've got to have it to make your guards more effective. The development of our inside group is key. BT at 6'11 can be a real force for the Bills, but it's got to be his work on the inside that must be developed, ie getting us offensive second chances, managing the low post, and playing interior defense. I didn't get to see much of him this year, but from everything on here it sounds like foot quickness and aggressiveness are the skills that most need work. Great if he can hit from 3 land but that's gravy and not a necessity at this point.

NO, sorry, nice try, Conk-person, but it is NOT "evident" that the "game is too fast for" Brett.

You might like to consult a dictionary, where you will find a definition of "evident." Dictionaries are useful for that sort of thing.

Brett has a good upside and he will see many minutes over his career. He will develop and he is already about a light year ahead of almost any freshman center we have had here at SLU during my tenure. His play as a freshman is way ahead of Ian, and last I checked, Ian was a decent college player. Brett has much to work on--as did Ian-- BUT...If he works out, lifts, and keeps plugging away, yes, he will catch up to the speed of the game.

I think your swipe is ill-conceived, mean, and frankly, flat-out wrong.

NO, sorry, nice try, Conk-person, but it is NOT "evident" that the "game is too fast for" Brett.

You might like to consult a dictionary, where you will find a definition of "evident." Dictionaries are useful for that sort of thing.

Brett has a good upside and he will see many minutes over his career. He will develop and he is already about a light year ahead of almost any freshman center we have had here at SLU during my tenure. His play as a freshman is way ahead of Ian, and last I checked, Ian was a decent college player. Brett has much to work on--as did Ian-- BUT...If he works out, lifts, and keeps plugging away, yes, he will catch up to the speed of the game.

I think your swipe is ill-conceived, mean, and frankly, flat-out wrong.

I agree completely. Brett has great upside and I think we'll see continuous improvement from him over the next few years. He finished the season on a high note, and if he stays dedicated to his conditioning and training, I think he'll be much more of a contributor next year.

I am not sold on Thompson at all. I know Majerus can develop players, but it is evident that the game is too fast for him.

we have never had a center of thompson's size with the shooting touch that brett has.

as to speed references, check out that sprinter that xu is promoting as their future center. i would take brett if we lined em up on the track for a sprint.

we have never had a center of thompson's size with the shooting touch that brett has.

as to speed references, check out that sprinter that xu is promoting as their future center. i would take brett if we lined em up on the track for a sprint.

With the exception of Greg Oden, I don't know many big freshmen that came right in and were ready for the rigors of D1 inside play. Most bigs come out of HS having played against small lineups when compared to them. Now they get to D1 and voila they have two or three guys who are as big or can suddenly leap over tall buildings. Guards have it easier in terms of size experience. The relative competition at their position is similar in height. Conk whatever his name his is way off base and way too early to judge BT. If he's willing to work hard, take RM's lessons to heart, he'll be ok. At this point it's largely up to him. You can teach footwork, you can coach ball handling, you can't teach 6'11. Cheap shot, buddy.

I would take Frease in that race if it were today. He doesn't make it look pretty, but he is a deceptively skilled big man. Don't forget he was a top 10 center coming out of HS (chose Xavier over UK and ND, among others) and Sean Miller called him, "The most talented recruit I've ever signed." He had a nice game against Wisconsin yesterday, too.

I also like Brett a lot and think he's going to be just fine. If he works hard this summer, he'll be a much different player than what we saw this year. And we saw some good things- smarts, a nice touch, solid post moves. Saying "the game is too fast for him" shows a lack of knowledge about freshman bigs in this game.

With the exception of Greg Oden, I don't know many big freshmen that came right in and were ready for the rigors of D1 inside play. Most bigs come out of HS having played against small lineups when compared to them. Now they get to D1 and voila they have two or three guys who are as big or can suddenly leap over tall buildings. Guards have it easier in terms of size experience. The relative competition at their position is similar in height. Conk whatever his name his is way off base and way too early to judge BT. If he's willing to work hard, take RM's lessons to heart, he'll be ok. At this point it's largely up to him. You can teach footwork, you can coach ball handling, you can't teach 6'11. Cheap shot, buddy.

Oden was 35, Thompson is 18/19.

I'm not making a cheap shot or swipe, just an observation. People are entitled to opinions, even in the Obama era.

Oden was 35, Thompson is 18/19.

I'm not making a cheap shot or swipe, just an observation. People are entitled to opinions, even in the Obama era.

I peg Oden at closer to 50, at best 45. Point was it's way too early to judge BT. End of next season might be ok to slam him if there is little development. Bigs take longer. Look at Hollins from UCLA he didn't come around until his Jr or Sr year. I'll trust RM's judgement on BT. Remember Doeac (sp?) didn't even warrant a scholie from DII and he turned out OK.

Yeah but dumb opinions are subject to scrutiny.

Well the definition of dumb isn't defined on this Web site, so until I get some satisfaction as to what a "dumb opinion" is, you'll get my opinion when asked. This poster asked what Thompson's development will be like and I responded that it will be slow and agonizingly painful. That is from watching a guy like Willie Reed, who didn't even play as a senior in high school, have an incredible freshman year. The comparisons between him and Voyoukas are incredibly inaccurate.

Well the definition of dumb isn't defined on this Web site, so until I get some satisfaction as to what a "dumb opinion" is, you'll get my opinion when asked. This poster asked what Thompson's development will be like and I responded that it will be slow and agonizingly painful. That is from watching a guy like Willie Reed, who didn't even play as a senior in high school, have an incredible freshman year. The comparisons between him and Voyoukas are incredibly inaccurate.

Comparisons between Thompson and Vouyoukas are fair. Both are natural centers and similar sizes. Both showed flashes during their freshman seasons despite the fact that they would need a lot of strength and conditioning training after those seasons.

Plus, I remember all the terrible things you said about Vouyoukas after his signing, during and after his freshman year, and throughout his career. Don't pretend you saw his improvement coming and were a fan of his.

Comparisons between Thompson and Vouyoukas are fair. Both are natural centers and similar sizes. Both showed flashes during their freshman seasons despite the fact that they would need a lot of strength and conditioning training after those seasons.

Plus, I remember all the terrible things you said about Vouyoukas after his signing, during and after his freshman year, and throughout his career. Don't pretend you saw his improvement coming and were a fan of his.

Peter, Ian Voyoukas had a great touch around the basket and was a pretty solid defender. True, I wasn't sold on him until later in his career, but he did have to come in right away because of Tom Frerick's inability to stay healthy. He was thrown into the fire and came out as one of the better Billiken big men. Alliteration aside, we will not see the same out of Thompson. Conklin and Reed have surpassed him as far as mental and physical strength are concerned. Thompson will be frustrated at a lack of playing time, will pout and probably seek a transfer. That's what I see. I am not a big BT fan. When three freshman PF/C types come in and two of them excel leaps and bounds over the third, you will see some poor body language and attitude from the lesser player. That is what Thompson is, in my humble opinion.

By the way, good seeing you at Bar Louie on Saturday. Wish we could have talked more. Love you too.

Peter, Ian Voyoukas had a great touch around the basket and was a pretty solid defender. True, I wasn't sold on him until later in his career, but he did have to come in right away because of Tom Frerick's inability to stay healthy. He was thrown into the fire and came out as one of the better Billiken big men. Alliteration aside, we will not see the same out of Thompson. Conklin and Reed have surpassed him as far as mental and physical strength are concerned. Thompson will be frustrated at a lack of playing time, will pout and probably seek a transfer. That's what I see. I am not a big BT fan. When three freshman PF/C types come in and two of them excel leaps and bounds over the third, you will see some poor body language and attitude from the lesser player. That is what Thompson is, in my humble opinion.

By the way, good seeing you at Bar Louie on Saturday. Wish we could have talked more. Love you too.

IV was close to worthless his freshman year; BT is ahead of where IV was at this same point.

You think Reed has pass BT in term so of physical strength? lol.

When did BT pout this year?

BT showed the best moves in the post out of any of our big men.

It's fairly obvious you're not a BT fan, but no need for the cheap shots.

no way reed is stronger than thompson this second. reed makes up for it with great athleticism and great hands. but thompson is stronger, bigger, and the better shooter. the truth is that they both have potential that could pay off tremendously for them and the billikens by the time they graduate. the both just need offseason work that doesnt involve the actual court imo.

You were wrong about Ian, any chance you could be wrong about BT also. Maybe you just underestimate the level most freshman bigs are at, and the time it takes for them to develop

Bobby, saying "I wasn't sold on him until later in his career" is a dramatic understatement. I have no idea what screen names you were using on here at the time, but for the first few years of his career (and even before it, probably due to your xenophobia and therefore distaste that we signed a Greek) you went way, way beyond not being sold on him. Hyperbole has always been your thing, and you held nothing back in expressing your dislike of Vouyoukas. I have to give it to you- your criticism of Thompson is very tame by comparison. I just don't understand how you suddenly are pretending that Vouyoukas was the opposite of Thompson.

You don't know Brett, and you know even less about what motivates him or what is going on in his head. I don't claim to, either, and I suppose we'll agree to disagree about his mindset and the end result. I think he'll stay, I think he wants to succeed, and I think he'll work hard with the strength and conditioning coach along with Rick's staff to improve his game. If he were to transfer, that would be short-sighted, as almost all freshman bigs have a long way to go from the start. It's the nature of the beast, and I'm betting Brett is smart enough to know that. His brother has even suggested those things on here in the past.

I hope you get over the dual personality complex. It's all handshakes and laughs in public, and then it's all hate and vitriol online. Good luck on getting this new handle to last without saying something racist, challenging someone to a fight, or otherwise offending everyone and imploding.

I hope you get over the dual personality complex. It's all handshakes and laughs in public, and then it's all hate and vitriol online. Good luck on getting this new handle to last without saying something racist, challenging someone to a fight, or otherwise offending everyone and imploding.

LOL. I thought this sounded familiar. I guess steve and nark heeded the Old 97's advice and "Let the Idiot Speak."