One and done in the A-10 tourney

We just saw tonight why. This team folds on the road. The shooting is to erratic, do not wanna work the ball inside enough, rely to much on the outside jumper. Until this changes it will be the same result next week. This team does not play as good as they are coached.

you are an idiot. We just lost to a good team on the road by one. I sitll think we will get the #5 seed.

We are young. We will struggle on the road. While Duquesne aren't a world beater they were a good team we took to the wire. Considering we will almost certainly be playing a better team in the 2nd round it is very likely we won't get past that round. That doesn't make it a bad season.

We have overachieved this season. A record well above .500, a chance at postseason. This really was much better than I anticipated. Honestly I thought we would have a hard time making the A-10 tourney.

One and done is not unexpected. Especially if we get the 8 or 9 seed. At five or six, seeing Charlotte or Bonaventure does not bother me, although losing to either would also not be unexpected. I can see sitting in the stands, biting fingernails and uttering minor curse words most of the night. I can also see doing this as a nine seed. And I can certainly see it in the second round as well. Or third. Or final. Or first round of the NCAAs and so on. Losing an anticipated winnable game is not unexpected. Winning an anticipated losable game is also not unexpected. I did not expect to win last night. I got the game at half when we were tied and followed it to the end. With a seven point lead, I was thinking "oaky, close this out." Then the expected unexpected reared back up and here we are again today.

This remains a young team and young teams have growing pains. It was a very good effort but short of Lisch, I don't know who on this team can be counted on to score. Maybe Mitchell? Liddell's stats are nice 9-9-3, but I was watching last night thinking to myself "Is Liddell out there" and then he swope in for a defensive rebound. But he didn't seem to be an integral part of the offensive end. An ankle-breakign cross-over dribble to beat down a defender with a pull-up 10 to 15 footer doesn't seem too much to ask. Just didn't dsee it. Eberhardt missed the back ends of two one-and-ones, but his play down the stretch and on the interior was key and kept us in as long as we were. Cassity was just too slow to cover Jackson and that happened like three times down the stretch. I think Mithcell had four fouls and couldn't guard his reciprocal point player but Jackson beat the hell out of us like a rented goalie. And was that a career high for Bill Clark? Late we seemed to decide to cover him the minute he crossed the half court line and it seemed to me best to put and leave Cassity on him but we had no answer for Jackson.

I can understand some folks feeling confident that we still get the fifth seed with a three-way tie but I am not so sure La Salle is a win right now. I'd like to believe it is based on coming home and having Senior Night but who knows. By tipoff, the point may be moot. If Temple loses to St. Joe's tonight, and St. Joe's continues on to beat Fordham (as they should), they could go as high as four. Temple should beat GeeDub and also finish at 10 and 6 so that would knock out the fifth spot. Duquesne could beat Dayton (I doubt it) and also finish 10 and 6 taking the sixth spot. Richmond beating X and La Salle beating us and we drop down to ninth.

Three days to go and everything is a mess. But the bottom line: I'd have a 50% confidence level that Xavier is the class of the conference but a 100% confidence level that all else is negotiable. One can never tell. Speaking of goalies, like the NHL, one gets hot, and you never know. It would not be unexpected to see us be that team. It would equally be not unexpected to see us flame out in the first round even as the 5 seed.

Callit the madness of youth. In March , no less.

This can't be a real question, dneuner. Is it? If it is, I'd suggest getting to know your conference layout a little better.

ouch...I sure hope this was an accidental post by dneuner. At least look at the schedule-- Location: ATLANTIC CITY, NJ

better luck next time

Three days to go and everything is a mess. But the bottom line: I'd have a 50% confidence level that Xavier is the class of the conference but a 100% confidence level that all else is negotiable. One can never tell. Speaking of goalies, like the NHL, one gets hot, and you never know. It would not be unexpected to see us be that team. It would equally be not unexpected to see us flame out in the first round even as the 5 seed.

I'm not too concerned with seedings at this point. If the A-10 has proven anything it's anyone can beat anyone on a given night, with the exception of X. So I don't think it really amounts to a hill of beans where we are at the end. The thing that does bother me if we lose to LaSalle we're on a 3 game losing streak going into the tourney. Losing to alousy St. B's by 20 bothers me, losing to DQ when we're up by 6 with 4 min left bothers me, and losing to LaSalle on senior night, with hopefully a near full arena, would drive me up a wall. In RM I trust, however, and look forward to that breakthrough day when he delivers us to the promised land.

This can't be a real question, dneuner. Is it? If it is, I'd suggest getting to know your conference layout a little better.

Maybe dneuner is from the future and was referencing the tournament format that starts next year.

Hey dneuner, I'm going to Vegas in 2 weeks. Can you tell me who is going to win the WS so I can lay some money on them Biff Tannen style?

Maybe dneuner is from the future and was referencing the tournament format that starts next year.

Hey dneuner, I'm going to Vegas in 2 weeks. Can you tell me who is going to win the WS so I can lay some money on them Biff Tannen style?

PLEASE. IF ANYONE ON THE BOARD IS FROM THE FUTURE, PM ME IMMEDIATELY. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! Or are they??? MY HEAD A SPLODE.

Thank you for proving my correct. I got into an argument with a friend yesterday who tried to tell me that the tournament started at regional locations and moved to Atlantic City.. he said only the top 4 start in NJ.. I thought he was crazy, but had nothing to back it up. So I thought I'd ask here to see who was right. Obviously next time I'll avoid asking questions and just yell at other idiots like you guys must enjoy doing.

Thank you for proving my correct. I got into an argument with a friend yesterday who tried to tell me that the tournament started at regional locations and moved to Atlantic City.. he said only the top 4 start in NJ.. I thought he was crazy, but had nothing to back it up. So I thought I'd ask here to see who was right. Obviously next time I'll avoid asking questions and just yell at other idiots like you guys must enjoy doing.

not trying to be a dick, but I think people were giving you trouble because your signature says that you are the beat writer for the men's basketball team. I would infer that this means you know about the conference tournament and its location.

Welcome aboard.

One and done is not unexpected. Especially if we get the 8 or 9 seed. At five or six, seeing Charlotte or Bonaventure does not bother me, although losing to either would also not be unexpected. I can see sitting in the stands, biting fingernails and uttering minor curse words most of the night. I can also see doing this as a nine seed. And I can certainly see it in the second round as well. Or third. Or final. Or first round of the NCAAs and so on. Losing an anticipated winnable game is not unexpected. Winning an anticipated losable game is also not unexpected. I did not expect to win last night. I got the game at half when we were tied and followed it to the end. With a seven point lead, I was thinking "oaky, close this out." Then the expected unexpected reared back up and here we are again today.

This remains a young team and young teams have growing pains. It was a very good effort but short of Lisch, I don't know who on this team can be counted on to score. Maybe Mitchell? Liddell's stats are nice 9-9-3, but I was watching last night thinking to myself "Is Liddell out there" and then he swope in for a defensive rebound. But he didn't seem to be an integral part of the offensive end. An ankle-breakign cross-over dribble to beat down a defender with a pull-up 10 to 15 footer doesn't seem too much to ask. Just didn't dsee it. Eberhardt missed the back ends of two one-and-ones, but his play down the stretch and on the interior was key and kept us in as long as we were. Cassity was just too slow to cover Jackson and that happened like three times down the stretch. I think Mithcell had four fouls and couldn't guard his reciprocal point player but Jackson beat the hell out of us like a rented goalie. And was that a career high for Bill Clark? Late we seemed to decide to cover him the minute he crossed the half court line and it seemed to me best to put and leave Cassity on him but we had no answer for Jackson.

I can understand some folks feeling confident that we still get the fifth seed with a three-way tie but I am not so sure La Salle is a win right now. I'd like to believe it is based on coming home and having Senior Night but who knows. By tipoff, the point may be moot. If Temple loses to St. Joe's tonight, and St. Joe's continues on to beat Fordham (as they should), they could go as high as four. Temple should beat GeeDub and also finish at 10 and 6 so that would knock out the fifth spot. Duquesne could beat Dayton (I doubt it) and also finish 10 and 6 taking the sixth spot. Richmond beating X and La Salle beating us and we drop down to ninth.

In retrospect, why didn't SLU put either Liddell or Lisch on Jackson at crunch time? That's what I mean in my other post when I said it looked to me like SLU was playing 4 on 5. Cassity tried, but just couldn't guard the Senior, Jackson.

The A-10 is wide open. SLU is perfectly capable of beating any of the teams, save and except perhaps Xavier and Temple, both of whom blew SLU out in SLU road games, or losing to any of the teams, 1 to 12. I'd like to believe that SLU could play with Temple and even Xavier on a neutral floor. Of course, Atlantic City is not really neutral when the Philly schools are playing, especially Temple.

This is just typical SLU, really the kind of stuff we've seen for years following the Dark Age three decades ago, when we knew that the Billikens had no chance. Now SLU has a chance. The team seemed to catch fire, winning huge games at home over St. Joe's and Dayton, but then stumbling (again) against the Bonnies, and turning victory into defeat last night at Duquesne.

Part of me would just as soon avoid the Bonnies. Napolean had his Waterloo; SLU now has St. Bona. On the other hand, with losses the last 3 seasons to the Bonnies, one would hope that SLU would be fired up to play them again. The odds would be in SLU's favor, wouldn't they?

First things first, and SLU needs to win Saturday night at home against LaSalle, for confidence, for tournament seeding. You don't want to lose at home in conference games. You don't want to end the season with 3 straight losses entering the tournament.

What SLU team shows up in Atlantic City? For that matter, what SLU team shows up Saturday night?

not trying to be a dick, but I think people were giving you trouble because your signature says that you are the beat writer for the men's basketball team. I would infer that this means you know about the conference tournament and its location.

Welcome aboard.

that's exactly why I said what I did...thought it was quite funny

This is something the UNews sports beat writer should probably know and could find out after about 38 seconds of internet research.

The U News might be having some budget issues this year and therefore cut back on the training session: "How to Use The Google."

This is something the UNews sports beat writer should probably know and could find out after about 38 seconds of internet research.

38 seconds huh? Well first off I have better things to do than fly around the net trying to appease people who I've never met. Second, I went to the A10 website, which didn't give me the answer.. so then I went to Ticketmaster which did have the answer... so it took more than 38 seconds... but excuse me for being an idiot.

38 seconds huh? Well first off I have better things to do than fly around the net trying to appease people who I've never met. Second, I went to the A10 website, which didn't give me the answer.. so then I went to Ticketmaster which did have the answer... so it took more than 38 seconds... but excuse me for being an idiot.

It took me less than 30 seconds to find: http://atlantic10.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl.../120108aaa.html and http://www.atlanticcitynj.com/film_sports/collegehoops.aspx

How'd I do it? Googled "2009 A-10 basketball tournament"