Recruits next season

BillikenTX

ESPN on their SLU page has the rankings of next years crop of players. Jon Smith has the highest grade and they have very positive things to say about our Aussies especially Ellis.

It appears to me that the incoming class on paper as a whole may be more impressive then our frosh this year. Any disagreement?

ESPN on their SLU page has the rankings of next years crop of players. Jon Smith has the highest grade and they have very positive things to say about our Aussies especially Ellis.

It appears to me that the incoming class on paper as a whole may be more impressive then our frosh this year. Any disagreement?

Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=139

Tough call on which class will ultimately prove to be better or which will have the greater short-term impact.

In the current class, we have KM, BC and WR providing immediate results. BT and Cassity look like they will be good (really good in BT's case) players with a little more development. For a team with ups-and-downs in terms of senior leadership, this is pretty impressive.

Next year's class looks to have 3 immediate impact players as well: the aussie boys and J. Smith. Reid could be a cassity type player in terms of development (bright spots in freshman year, but will really shine in his latter 3 years).

Gun to my head, I'd guess that these Frosch will be proven to be the slightly better class. Man, it'd be great if i was wrong, because we'd have a helluva team.

while i remain optimistic with these reports, let's add the grain of salt remembering that former billiken asst and rickma favorite biancardi heads up the espn recruiting work.

while i remain optimistic with these reports, let's add the grain of salt remembering that former billiken asst and rickma favorite biancardi heads up the espn recruiting work.

If you are optimistic, why do you always have to pore on the salt? I am certain that these numbers are not generated by Biancardi all by himself. I believe the rating system was in place long before Paul got involved. :ph34r:

If you are optimistic, why do you always have to pore on the salt? I am certain that these numbers are not generated by Biancardi all by himself. I believe the rating system was in place long before Paul got involved. :ph34r:

and who inputs that information? indirectly the head of college basketball recruiting would likely have a lot of influence. believe what you want.

I am a little confused by your comments. It seems to me that these five new players for next year are clearly a better all around class than anything we ever saw from Brad or Lorenzo or Spoon (except for the Larry Hughes year). We have size, shooting, toughness and athleticism. I also love the fact that our Aussie fellows have played on the national under 19 team and have seem all sorts of competition. Smith and Remekun are the types of players -- extremely athletic 6"7" or 6"8' rebounders and scorers---we have complained about for a decade--when they are on the other team and we complain about not having that sort of player on our team. I always have a wait and see attitude but based upon the quality of this years recruits it seems clear to me that this staff really understands what it take to evaluate and land some very nice players. I, for one, welcome them with open arms and am very excited about our future!

If Biancardi was homering with his ratings then why list Reid so low? Who knows how good they will be but it is better to be rated high then low at this point.

If Biancardi was homering with his ratings then why list Reid so low? Who knows how good they will be but it is better to be rated high then low at this point.

40 is the default rating for players who have not been evaluated by them yet.

Guest BillikenReport

and who inputs that information? indirectly the head of college basketball recruiting would likely have a lot of influence. believe what you want.

Roy,

Biancardi definitely gives his input on these prospects. Of course he's going to be positive about the kids he recruited, like Jon Smith.

The way I look at these recruiting classes and how I evaluate these kids. I look at how the class stacks up against the rest of the conference. Last year's class was regarded as the second best in the conference behind Xavier. This year's group doesn't have the same kind of recognition, but the coaches did a good job of filling holes and adding depth with athletes and size.

I'm very optimistic about these two recruiting classes.

- Nate

I agree with Roy to an extent, that recruiting rankings generally are not the best way to get info on a player. However, I am very intrigued with this upcoming class being more apt to contribute right away than this class. While BT and KC may develop into solid players, I think with their time in international play Ellis and Salelich will be able to contribute much faster than the rest. I dont necessarily agree with their review on Remekun from the two times I have watched. I don't think I can count on one hand how many shots he has taken 10 ft away from the basket. Cory needs to redshirt and put on about 10-15 pounds and he will be quite the 4-man we have been seeking to compete with some of the big boy programs.

Guest BillikenReport

However, I am very intrigued with this upcoming class being more apt to contribute right away than this class. While BT and KC may develop into solid players, I think with their time in international play Ellis and Salelich will be able to contribute much faster than the rest.

Also, I think both Salecich and Ellis will be a year older than most freshmen, so they will be about the same age as the sophomores next year.

Also, I think both Salecich and Ellis will be a year older than most freshmen, so they will be about the same age as the sophomores next year.

I think those two are what makes this class hard to evaluate. They seem to be the 2 players that may be able to contribute the most right away, but so few people have seen them play. We really just have to wait and see. I'm excited by Ellis, not only his size, but the fact he has spent his life around the top level of basketball in his country. I won't be suprised to see him immediately go to the head of the class at the 4.

i think some of you dont read very well.

Let's read my first line that i posted in this thread again,

"while i remain optimistic with these reports"

then i cautioned everyone to remember that a rickma boy is in a top position with the outfit making the ratings and report.

remember, i have been a naysayer about recruiting websites and rankings for years (at least going back to the great reports we got on ricky cranford and greg hardin days).

my point is only to say, sounds great, but dont dust off the national championship shelf just yet. let's see em first.

i think some of you dont read very well.

Let's read my first line that i posted in this thread again,

then i cautioned everyone to remember that a rickma boy is in a top position with the outfit making the ratings and report.

remember, i have been a naysayer about recruiting websites and rankings for years (at least going back to the great reports we got on ricky cranford and greg hardin days).

my point is only to say, sounds great, but dont dust off the national championship shelf just yet. let's see em first.

If courtside endorsed these recruits, would you be singing a different tune?

If courtside endorsed these recruits, would you be singing a different tune?

by "endorsed" does that mean full blown comparisons to golden eagle/warrior greats from past years?

Both boys turn 19 this year Ellis early in the year and Salecich later in the year depending when they arrive in the US Salecich might have a Birthday away from oz & family ,thats the times things are tough for recruits being away from family on special occassions. Xmas,Birthdays

Regarding some of the other posts im sure both of these boys will be more than ready to perform ,they will be fully fit coming out of the Wold Championships if both selected in July and they would be still playing in the mens league .SEABL which is known in OZ which is our second tear competition behind our National League,This will be Salecich`s 3rd season and Elli`s second season in the SEABL so both have plenty of experience in being involved with physical contact with bigger bodied & older athletes , the main issue will be fitting in and uderstanding the coaches game plans and plays in defense and offense.

By the way great win for the Bills shame about the crowd i hope it starts to get bigger in the next few games

I'm impressed with the recruiting gets. I trust Majerus can evaluate talent. Still it isn't like we are bringing in top 100 talent. I don't see any stars in the class right now but I also don't see potential for horrible players either.

The 2 Aussies are the wild card. With the recent success of Aussie players at the D-1 level our expectations may be too high. They can't all be Patty Mills, some of them are going to be Andrew Latimers.

I am a little confused by your comments. It seems to me that these five new players for next year are clearly a better all around class than anything we ever saw from Brad or Lorenzo or Spoon (except for the Larry Hughes year). We have size, shooting, toughness and athleticism. I also love the fact that our Aussie fellows have played on the national under 19 team and have seem all sorts of competition. Smith and Remekun are the types of players -- extremely athletic 6"7" or 6"8' rebounders and scorers---we have complained about for a decade--when they are on the other team and we complain about not having that sort of player on our team. I always have a wait and see attitude but based upon the quality of this years recruits it seems clear to me that this staff really understands what it take to evaluate and land some very nice players. I, for one, welcome them with open arms and am very excited about our future!

I'd guess Broy's missing our old days of recruits like DM (can't remember anyone else offering), Obi Wan (injured, obese and lazy), AK (Mizzery reject), Dixon (academically challenged tremendously athletic PF), and then, of course, all those 3-4 star players to be named later in the spring (Many who went elsewhere by the way). C'mon, B'Roy, why are you raining on SLU's parade before it even starts? :rolleyes:

I'm impressed with the recruiting gets. I trust Majerus can evaluate talent. Still it isn't like we are bringing in top 100 talent. I don't see any stars in the class right now but I also don't see potential for horrible players either.

The 2 Aussies are the wild card. With the recent success of Aussie players at the D-1 level our expectations may be too high. They can't all be Patty Mills, some of them are going to be Andrew Latimers.

We only have two. I'd take a Mills/Bogut and a Lattimore.

Both boys turn 19 this year Ellis early in the year and Salecich later in the year depending when they arrive in the US Salecich might have a Birthday away from oz & family ,thats the times things are tough for recruits being away from family on special occassions. Xmas,Birthdays

Regarding some of the other posts im sure both of these boys will be more than ready to perform ,they will be fully fit coming out of the Wold Championships if both selected in July and they would be still playing in the mens league .SEABL which is known in OZ which is our second tear competition behind our National League,This will be Salecich`s 3rd season and Elli`s second season in the SEABL so both have plenty of experience in being involved with physical contact with bigger bodied & older athletes , the main issue will be fitting in and uderstanding the coaches game plans and plays in defense and offense.

By the way great win for the Bills shame about the crowd i hope it starts to get bigger in the next few games.

Blinkybill, question. Our backup point guard left the team in December. The guys filling that role now (Kevin Lisch / Tommie Liddell) are both seniors. We don't have a PG in the incoming recruiting class. I read Salecich was a combo guard meaning he can play point. Any comments on the ability of Salecich to act as our backup point guard?

I'd guess Broy's missing our old days of recruits like DM (can't remember anyone else offering), Obi Wan (injured, obese and lazy), AK (Mizzery reject), Dixon (academically challenged tremendously athletic PF), and then, of course, all those 3-4 star players to be named later in the spring (Many who went elsewhere by the way). C'mon, B'Roy, why are you raining on SLU's parade before it even starts? :rolleyes:

once again, for those of you struggling with your reading. my opening line was

maybe with the increased size some of you old guys can actually read and understand better.

We only have two. I'd take a Mills/Bogut and a Lattimore.

I think we have to give RM the benefit of the doubt on this one, the freshman class we have on the floor now is pretty much what was advertised last year with very little surprises.

KM>we all knew he was the gem of the class and he has been.

BC>we all knew he was going to be a good tough kid underneath and grab on to RM system very quickly. Brian I think is much more advance then a freshmen Chris Sloan or Luke Meyer.

WR> this one turned out to be a pleasant surprise for the better. Everyone said he needed red shirt year, actually that would have helped him in a perfect world, but we needed height and he is doing things as a center now that both IV and Hienrich never did as freshmen.

BT> he is probably developing similar to most of centers we had in the past but has tremendous upside. He just needs to hit the weight room during the off season, get with the dietitian on a weight loss program and gets out to Vegas for Pete Newell's Big Man Camp this summer. If he does those things successfully he could have a nice 3 years here. Probably has the most potential (like Heinrich and IV did) to make in the pros (either here or in a upper division European league).

So when RM or Porter says Ellis, Smith or Reid are gems, I think it is a pretty good chance they will be good.

BT> he is probably developing similar to most of centers we had in the past but has tremendous upside. He just needs to hit the weight room during the off season, get with the dietitian on a weight loss program and get out to Vegas for Pete Newell's Big Man Camp this summer. If he does those things successfully he could have a nice 3 years here. Probably has the most potential (like Heinrich and IV did) to make in the pros (either here or in a upper division European league).

This may not be viable. I asked about the camp on the air with Rammer and Coach Jensen on the coach's show a couple of weeks ago, and the response leads me to believe no Billikens will be there. First of all, they mentioned that Pete Newell passed away -- I'm not even certain there is such a camp anymore. Second, they said that players have to pay their own way to the camp. I would have followed up by asking if boosters or fans could help, but they didn't allow me to stay on the line while they discussed my question. Third, Coach Jensen stressed that the coaches can work individually with the players during the off-season.

This may not be viable. I asked about the camp on the air with Rammer and Coach Jensen on the coach's show a couple of weeks ago, and the response leads me to believe no Billikens will be there. First of all, they mentioned that Pete Newell passed away -- I'm not even certain there is such a camp anymore. Second, they said that players have to pay their own way to the camp. I would have followed up by asking if boosters or fans could help, but they didn't allow me to stay on the line while they discussed my question. Third, Coach Jensen stressed that the coaches can work individually with the players during the off-season.

They still name the camp after Pete Newell.

I know Heinrich and Baniack both went, I think both of them benefited from it. Also, the camp is only 4 days, so how much could it be? If you look at the alumni of the camp and who is teaching, might be a good investment on helping to get in the pros latter on. But...

If they feel they can do better with working with BT over the summer, they are the experts, go for it.