Tonight's Majerus Show

thetorch

While not really informative at all I do enjoy the coaches show. He took callers the whole hour and I'm not sure if he took 4 or 5. He rallied in the last 15 minutes and took 3 callers I think. The previous 45 minutes were taken up with 2 callers.

The last caller asked him about Beal. Majerus stated that he has watched him personally and his staff has seen half a dozen times. Outside of that not much info just a lot of rambling. How Majerus was a paid sportscaster I have no idea. I think Bob said under a dozen words the whole show.

Probably the most comical thing Coach Majerus said is in line with your signature, Torch. He said that Larry Bird was athletically bankrupt. I nearly drove off of I-270 when he said that! And then he said that Brian Conklin is more athletic than Bird. As Frank Cusumano would say, "No freaking way!"

But it was entertaining, overall.

While not really informative at all I do enjoy the coaches show. He took callers the whole hour and I'm not sure if he took 4 or 5. He rallied in the last 15 minutes and took 3 callers I think. The previous 45 minutes were taken up with 2 callers.

The last caller asked him about Beal. Majerus stated that he has watched him personally and his staff has seen half a dozen times. Outside of that not much info just a lot of rambling. How Majerus was a paid sportscaster I have no idea. I think Bob said under a dozen words the whole show.

I only caught parts but one interesting story, if true, was he said that prior to the BC game some people from BC told SLU that they wanted to renew the series for a couple more years. After we beat them, we called a few days later to set it up and were told no way in hell they were playing us again.

Just goes to show how tough it is to get home and homes with BCS teams. If you dare to beat them, they won't play you again.

Torch, that is Harry Rogers in your picture, correct?

Because of NCAA rules, RM is limited on what he can say about recruits till they sign a NLI.

Yeah, it was kinda funny. He kept saying I've seen HIM play, we've seen HIM play, we've been out to HIS practice a few times. Then I think he caught himself and goes, When I say HIM, I mean THEM. I've seen the TEAM play. I think we all know who he was talking about though.

yes

I remember that Harry Rogers was a star at SLU when I was a kid growing up in Quincy. SLU had good teams back then, guys like Rich Stallworth and Carlos Martinez.

We'd get to seen SLU periodically on the old Missouri Valley Conference Game of the Week, that came on the air on Channel 2 at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoons, with Easy Ed Macauley providing the color commentary.

Then when I was at SLU, Harry Rogers was an Assistant Coach under Ron Ekker. I remember talking to Rogers once coming off the elevator at Gries. He told me, "The Bills are back, so back the Bills." Well, under Ekker, the Bills really weren't back, but once Rich Grawer took over, things changed for the better. We always held Harry Rogers in high esteem, as one of the good things re the SLU Basketball Program during our days at SLU.

I remember that Harry Rogers was a star at SLU when I was a kid growing up in Quincy. SLU had good teams back then, guys like Rich Stallworth and Carlos Martinez.

We'd get to seen SLU periodically on the old Missouri Valley Conference Game of the Week, that came on the air on Channel 2 at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoons, with Easy Ed Macauley providing the color commentary.

Then when I was at SLU, Harry Rogers was an Assistant Coach under Ron Ekker. I remember talking to Rogers once coming off the elevator at Gries. He told me, "The Bills are back, so back the Bills." Well, under Ekker, the Bills really weren't back, but once Rich Grawer took over, things changed for the better. We always held Harry Rogers in high esteem, as one of the good things re the SLU Basketball Program during our days at SLU.

Anyone know what Harry is doing these days?

I believe his is still employed with the St Louis City Division of Corrections

I ran into Harry at the opening of Chaefitz. He was on his way out and we spoke for a few minutes. He looked like he could still play. Skinny as a rail. In my mind he makes any and all SLU top five lists.

I ran into Harry at the opening of Chaefitz. He was on his way out and we spoke for a few minutes. He looked like he could still play. Skinny as a rail. In my mind he makes any and all SLU top five lists.

Harry was nicest guy you could meet.

Back in the early 70's when I was at SLU and living in the Griese, Harry got some of my friends and I tickets to attend the Bradley away game at the old Robertson Field House. Back then, Tom Les, Jim Les brother and now current coach, was a point guard for Bradley and they had an excellent player in Seymour Reed. Also, anybody who has been to the Robertson Field House knows it looked like an airplane hanger and had the raised floor similar to Williams Arena on the campus of Univ. of Minnesota.

Harry must have told Polk (the SLU coach) that these tickets were for his parents because they practically had us sitting on the players bench. When Polk saw these very shoddy looking undergrads sitting so close, he gave us a look like we were the lowest form of human being known to man B)

Harry Rogers was my first Billiken favorite. He deserves to be ranked among the best in school history. His senior season was one of the best in Bills history and that team seemed like they were close to breaking through and getting into the NCAA Tournament. I think that was the year the Bills had wins over Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and Louisville. Unfortunately it went all down hill for quite a while right after Harry graduated.

Rogers is definitely top ten all time Biliken up there with the likes of Macauley, Boushka, Bonner, Claggett, Hughes, Douglas, Gray, Lisch B) and Burns.

Harry was a scoring dynamo and while his playing weight was 170 lbs he was essentially a 6'8 point guard. Harry held the career scoring record until Douglas broke it and the single season record until Hughes broke that. Still has the highest single season scoring average in Billiken history at nearly 25 points a game.

His teams his jr and sr years would have been NCAA teams under the current format quite easily.

Harry Rogers was my first Billiken favorite. He deserves to be ranked among the best in school history. His senior season was one of the best in Bills history and that team seemed like they were close to breaking through and getting into the NCAA Tournament. I think that was the year the Bills had wins over Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and Louisville. Unfortunately it went all down hill for quite a while right after Harry graduated.

They beat Memphis State in their final home game his senior season - the year that MS got to the NCAA finals and were subjected to Walton's 21/22 fgas.

They beat Memphis State in their final home game his senior season - the year that MS got to the NCAA finals and were subjected to Walton's 21/22 fgas.

We almost made the NCAA that year. There was a 3 way tie for the MVC, Louisville, Messphis, and us. We lost to UL in a playoff at Bradley. Good game. Lousy gym. There were 4 of us that drove up to that game but only 3 returned as we lost a guy who decided to spend the night with a Bradley coed. I always thought Polk was a pretty good coach. Too bad he didn't stay at SLU longer, because after he left we kind of hit the skids. By the way a little trivia, who was the coach that accepted the job but never came and then we hired Polk?

We almost made the NCAA that year. There was a 3 way tie for the MVC, Louisville, Messphis, and us. We lost to UL in a playoff at Bradley. Good game. Lousy gym. There were 4 of us that drove up to that game but only 3 returned as we lost a guy who decided to spend the night with a Bradley coed. I always thought Polk was a pretty good coach. Too bad he didn't stay at SLU longer, because after he left we kind of hit the skids. By the way a little trivia, who was the coach that accepted the job but never came and then we hired Polk?

Jimmy Valvano?

I was also at that game at Bradley. What a heart breaker, that was such a great team with Jimmy Irving and Harry.

You are right, when SLU fired Polk (who I did not think was all that bad) at the end of the '74 season, it was 11 years and 4 coaches later till SLU under Grawer gave us a winning season record. Really sad.

Joe B Hall

Harry Rogers was an assistant coach under Ekker? I never knew that? Can anyone confirm? Not that I recall who had who as assistant coaches ..... I know that Grawer had Winfield and also brought in Jackson Wheeler when he locked up that "huge" JUCO class with Manuel, Tadysak and Ivester. Harry rogers? Really?

Harry Rogers was an assistant coach under Ekker? I never knew that? Can anyone confirm? Not that I recall who had who as assistant coaches ..... I know that Grawer had Winfield and also brought in Jackson Wheeler when he locked up that "huge" JUCO class with Manuel, Tadysak and Ivester. Harry rogers? Really?

I think Harry was there for a short time. Ekker's main assistant was a guy named Rick Starsisky {sp}.

Jimmy Valvano?

I was also at that game at Bradley. What a heart breaker, that was such a great team with Jimmy Irving and Harry.

You are right, when SLU fired Polk (who I did not think was all that bad) at the end of the '74 season, it was 11 years and 4 coaches later till SLU under Grawer gave us a winning season record. Really sad.

Wrong, Tarheel, Joe B. Hall of KY. He was set to come until Rupp said he'd be resigning in the near future and Joe B was his designated successor. Of course, Joe B probably would have left immediately if offered after Ol' Adolf did leave.