"and remember, Lisch and Liddell are sophomores to me."

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are making something out of nothing. All he is saying is that this is his second year coaching the two players. It was not a criticism or negative comment about the players, so I don't know why you are taking it that way. It is a fact that both players would do things differently--not necessarily better or worse--had they spent four years under Majerus.

rickma describing lisch and liddell today in tom timmermann's article.

just leave them alone rick.

Yes, I read the same article. I think you are interpreting it the wrong way. I don't think he was describing their abilities or maturity level, rather pointing out that he has only been their coach for two years. If he was trying to make disparaging remarks I don't think he would have asked 101.1 to have his "two fantastic seniors on the air so the community can hear what great people they are."

I guess I just read it differently.

rickma describing lisch and liddell today in tom timmermann's article.

just leave them alone rick.

Good greif Roy. What are you implying? It might be time for you to take a step back, a deep breath, and relax. I'd hate to see your hatred or mistrust of Rick destroy what might be the second great love of your life. I'd recommend a night at home with the missus over the Umass game tonight..........

Two people can read the same thing and get two completely different meanings out of it. If anything, I thought RM was being overly generous with that comment by cutting his seniors a lot of slack... especially in light of their recent erratic play... in particular Lisch, who has hit a rough stretch. Hopefully he snaps out of it tonight.

I'd hate to see your hatred or mistrust of Rick destroy what might be the second great love of your life.

that's probably too late. i have no where near the passion for the billikens i used to anymore. dont get me wrong, i still love the billikens but i dont feel the need to defend and protect nearly like i used to anymore.

as to that statement. sorry, imo, to bring them up at that point in the interview is only a slap imo.

to make that statement about two future hall of famers that will likely end up 5th and 7th on the all time scoring list and have given the fan base a lot of excitement was wrong. just leave them out if he cant say something nice.

You are making something out of nothing. All he is saying is that this is his second year coaching the two players. It was not a criticism or negative comment about the players, so I don't know why you are taking it that way. It is a fact that both players would do things differently--not necessarily better or worse--had they spent four years under Majerus.

I agree with you on this one. I did not take it negatively just that he was saying that even his seniors are not that schooled in his game style.

Yes, I read the same article. I think you are interpreting it the wrong way. I don't think he was describing their abilities or maturity level, rather pointing out that he has only been their coach for two years. If he was trying to make disparaging remarks I don't think he would have asked 101.1 to have his "two fantastic seniors on the air so the community can hear what great people they are."

I guess I just read it differently.

-i see it the same way

-i wonder if roy ever thinks rick says things to see if he can get a rise out of roy?

-the inverse relationship is interesting to me if you think the arrow on slu's future is moving up (a rick phrase) but at the same time roy's interest is waning

-i see it the same way

-i wonder if roy ever thinks rick says things to see if he can get a rise out of roy?

-the inverse relationship is interesting to me if you think the arrow on slu's future is moving up (a rick phrase) but at the same time roy's interest is waning

there is more to my fanship than bottom line winning. i would love to win. but i would also appreciate treating people the right way. imo it is embarrassing some of the stories on the way rickma thinks is the right way to treat people around him. there is no reason our program cant be built and be successful and show common courtesy and decent human relations skills as well.

there is more to my fanship than bottom line winning. i would love to win. but i would also appreciate treating people the right way. imo it is embarrassing some of the stories on the way rickma thinks is the right way to treat people around him. there is no reason our program cant be built and be successful and show common courtesy and decent human relations skills as well.

Roy, you were born about 50 years too late. Name me one coach who's won big without a hint of taint, running the gamut from dirty recruiting to not being nice to everyone he meets. There isn't one.

Rick may be a crude, pigheaded, perfectionist. He may well have been brutally honest with those who've left to the point that YOU would consider them "run off." Given your standards, I don't think you'd have been happy with any other successful coach.

You may want to consider supporting a division two or NAIA team. The excesses of the modern world intrude far less often the lower you go.

Roy, you were born about 50 years too late. Name me one coach who's won big without a hint of taint, running the gamut from dirty recruiting to not being nice to everyone he meets. There isn't one.

Rick may be a crude, pigheaded, perfectionist. He may well have been brutally honest with those who've left to the point that YOU would consider them "run off." Given your standards, I don't think you'd have been happy with any other successful coach.

You may want to consider supporting a division two or NAIA team. The excesses of the modern world intrude far less often the lower you go.

Brad Soderberg?

Lorenzo Romar?

I kind of feel the same as Roy on this one, but not to the same extent. I have heard a number of stories concerning Majerus and how he treats people and it is a shame. I would encourage anyone on this board to sit down with any member of the athletic department, former player of Majerus, or even a student manager to hear about his ways. It truly is an embarassment. I still cheer for the Billikens to win, but it is because I want to see the players experience success. I guess that is why I would consider myself more removed from the program than I used to be.

Lorenzo Romar?

I kind of feel the same as Roy on this one, but not to the same extent. I have heard a number of stories concerning Majerus and how he treats people and it is a shame. I would encourage anyone on this board to sit down with any member of the athletic department, former player of Majerus, or even a student manager to hear about his ways. It truly is an embarassment. I still cheer for the Billikens to win, but it is because I want to see the players experience success. I guess that is why I would consider myself more removed from the program than I used to be.

I don't think the comment is a huge deal. However, tact is not one of the strong suits of Majerus, as we've all seen to some extent by now. He does seem like a guy that would not be fun to work for or with, but that people are willing to take the bad with the good because of his knowledge and abilities.

A quick anecdote: I heard that he has a habit of ignoring cars ahead of his waiting at the gate to get in that new lot adjacent to the arena. He apparently just drives over the curb, sidewalk, and through the grass to get into the lot before any of them without using the key card entry. I guess a few people complained and he recently got a $100 fine for it. Of course, he gave his pal Larry a call and told him (I'm sure in the nicest way possible) that he would not be paying the fine.

Lorenzo Romar?

I don't think Romar has "Won Big" either also lets not forget the Dollar affair. Certainly at least a hint of impropriety there.....

Won Big?

I wrote that with tongue placed firmly in cheek.

However, the Romar example works, as I think he could have won big or was on the verge of winning big (if by SLU standards). He was squeaky clean, treated every person he met with the utmost respect and kindness, built incredible relationships with his players, and knew how to recruit. I was talking with a buddy recently about what Washington would be like if he didn't have so many players leave early- the blessing/curse of getting the one-and-done guys.

Oh, and Dollar acted on his own (even though, I know, the head coach is in charge and will be at least partially blamed).

I don't think the comment is a huge deal. However, tact is not one of the strong suits of Majerus, as we've all seen to some extent by now. He does seem like a guy that would not be fun to work for or with, but that people are willing to take the bad with the good because of his knowledge and abilities.

A quick anecdote: I heard that he has a habit of ignoring cars ahead of his waiting at the gate to get in that new lot adjacent to the arena. He apparently just drives over the curb, sidewalk, and through the grass to get into the lot before any of them without using the key card entry. I guess a few people complained and he recently got a $100 fine for it. Of course, he gave his pal Larry a call and told him (I'm sure in the nicest way possible) that he would not be paying the fine.

I was not really talking about that comment. I honestly could care less about that quote since I do not read it as being negative in the least bit. I am more just replying to some of Roy's comments concerning how he is less of a fan now because of things he has heard concerning Majerus. I am assuming Roy hears a lot of things being close with the Lisch family. I have other connections to the program and have likely heard similar things as Roy.

I think there is certainly a way to be successful and treat others with respect. Someone commented on Lorenzo Romar not being clean as whistle. Lorenzo Romar was one of the nicest and most honorable men I have ever met. He is an outstanding role model for anyone who has ever played for him. My problem with Majerus has nothing to do with whether or not he follows the rule book to the T, it is with regards to how he treats people and I would guess this is what Roy is saying as well.

Another anecdote: I heard when the team went to Boston last year he bought a suit and proceeded to walk out of the store without paying. When an employee asked him what he was doing Majerus asked "do you know who I am." The employee said he had no idea who he was, but that whoever he was he still had to pay for the suit. Majerus stormed out telling the guy he would send someone back to pay for the suit. Apparently a student manager had to head to the store to take care of paying for the suit.

I was not really talking about that comment. I honestly could care less about that quote since I do not read it as being negative in the least bit. I am more just replying to some of Roy's comments concerning how he is less of a fan now because of things he has heard concerning Majerus. I am assuming Roy hears a lot of things being close with the Lisch family. I have other connections to the program and have likely heard similar things as Roy.

I think there is certainly a way to be successful and treat others with respect. Someone commented on Lorenzo Romar not being clean as whistle. Lorenzo Romar was one of the nicest and most honorable men I have ever met. He is an outstanding role model for anyone who has ever played for him. My problem with Majerus has nothing to do with whether or not he follows the rule book to the T, it is with regards to how he treats people and I would guess this is what Roy is saying as well.

Another anecdote: I heard when the team went to Boston last year he bought a suit and proceeded to walk out of the store without paying. When an employee asked him what he was doing Majerus asked "do you know who I am." The employee said he had no idea who he was, but that whoever he was he still had to pay for the suit. Majerus stormed out telling the guy he would send someone back to pay for the suit. Apparently a student manager had to head to the store to take care of paying for the suit.

great comments about romar. thank you.

Roy, why is it now OK to air dirty laundry about our coach? You used to get bent out of shape when people criticized Soderberg. If I recall, you were concerned that such negative talk would hurt the program... even though the criticisms were usually not of a personal nature, they were usually indisputable facts like Soderberg was a poor recruiter. Now you have no problem airing stuff that is very personal about our current coach? Maybe you are too close to the situation, but I don't think it helps the program to be airing this kind of crap on a message board. Any issues Majerus has with players, staff and their families, should be between them and Majerus. Why do you feel compelled to now get in the middle of that?

All I know is that we have the makings of having the best back-to-back recruiting years in history, the future looks bright, yet you are stirring up some of this sh!t? In particualr, this little comment Majeurs made, you are taking WAY out of context and twisting it around. If anything, I thought Majerus was taking a bullet for the poor play of the seniors. I take it you didn't listen to the coaches show on Monday night? He was gushing about the character and leadership of Tommie and Kevin. What more does he need to say?

BTW, I heard something about Soderberg from someone I consider a very credible source... if true, and I don't have reason to doubt it, it just reaffirms my belief that he was not the right guy to be our coach. Even though near the end I wanted Soderberg gone, I didn't air that crap on this board. Not sure why you are doing this now with Majerus.

Roy, why is it now OK to air dirty laundry about our coach? You used to get bent out of shape when people criticized Soderberg. If I recall, you were concerned that such negative talk would hurt the program... even though the criticisms were usually not of a personal nature, they were usually indisputable facts like Soderberg was a poor recruiter. Now you have no problem airing stuff that is very personal about our current coach? Maybe you are too close to the situation, but I don't think it helps the program to be airing this kind of crap on a message board. Any issues Majerus has with players, staff and their families, should be between them and Majerus. Why do you feel compelled to now get in the middle of that?

All I know is that we have the makings of having the best back-to-back recruiting years in history, the future looks bright, yet you are stirring up some of this sh!t? In particualr, this little comment Majeurs made, you are taking WAY out of context and twisting it around. If anything, I thought Majerus was taking a bullet for the poor play of the seniors. I take it you didn't listen to the coaches show on Monday night? He was gushing about the character and leadership of Tommie and Kevin. What more does he need to say?

BTW, I heard something about Soderberg from someone I consider a very credible source... if true, and I don't have reason to doubt it, it just reaffirms my belief that he was not the right guy to be our coach. Even though near the end I wanted Soderberg gone, I didn't air that crap on this board. Not sure why you are doing this now with Majerus.

ace, other than restate again my distaste of the revolving door and that i dont like his public comments about players, what "dirty laundry" did i air? those are all public already. i brought absolutely nothing new to the forum.

For the 2nd time, I agree with broy.

RM was BEYOND obnoxious to say that... I like old school approach but RM is arrogant as hell to say that.

He needs to show some class, especially since he is NOT getting good results from two kids who did better as sophmores than last yr and this YTD.

I will stick to the plan, give him more time, RM has some good looking recruits again for next yr, but not satisfied with results so far; one thing

that is a constant (as opposed to a variable): KL and TL, are not as good as when he got them. Then he mouths off.