Jeff Reid Scores 33

EMS67

Thanks for the link. The fact that he plays in a very competitive situation and they are undefeated and are defending state champs should make him a perfect fit for our team next year because many of our recruits who have been successful, like KM and BC, come from the same sort of background.

Thanks for the link. The fact that he plays in a very competitive situation and they are undefeated and are defending state champs should make him a perfect fit for our team next year because many of our recruits who have been successful, like KM and BC, come from the same sort of background.

Now JR is an anounced verbal commit for next year, right? I think I remember a post where someone thought he might not be coming. Is there any substance to this? With our dearth of shooters after KL and TL leave, I see JR as an integral part of our offense next year, unless Femi John has his shot together.

mhg

Now JR is an anounced verbal commit for next year, right? I think I remember a post where someone thought he might not be coming. Is there any substance to this? With our dearth of shooters after KL and TL leave, I see JR as an integral part of our offense next year, unless Femi John has his shot together.

mhg

He is not an oral. He signed an LOI. Where do these things come from?

Wow, Jeff's team won 18-15 (that's right 18-15) in OT last night against a team who tried to run the hold the ball tactic. http://www.cjonline.com/stories/011009/pre_375786514.shtml

If there was ever a reason for a shot clock in high school basketball then this game is it. Even if it is 45 seconds, no team should be allowed to stall the whole game. But I am impressed with how gratious the Hayden coach was at the end--of course, he won the game so he was in a good mood!

Wow, Jeff's team won 18-15 (that's right 18-15) in OT last night against a team who tried to run the hold the ball tactic. http://www.cjonline.com/stories/011009/pre_375786514.shtml

Game's like that don't do much for Reid's ppg stats. I've long thought highschool should have a shot clock and also often wondered why more coaches don't try that when clearly overmatched.

I'm too young to remember the days of college b-ball when there was no shot clock but it must have been tough to watch.

Game's like that don't do much for Reid's ppg stats. I've long thought highschool should have a shot clock and also often wondered why more coaches don't try that when clearly overmatched.

I'm too young to remember the days of college b-ball when there was no shot clock but it must have been tough to watch.

Lefty Drisell of Maryland was a master of the slow down.

I was at this game. Manhattan ran a straight stall. Rarely did they make any cuts to the basket. Just passed it back and forth on the perimeter. The first quarter was over in exactly 8 minutes. Hayden stayed in their zone and some people on our local board tried to blame Hayden for the slow down. Well, we were ahead for most of the game! :rolleyes: It is legal - so I don't argue if a Coach wants to do it. I just did not think Manhattan was that weak. Hayden finally got behind in the 4th and made some critical plays to get back in it. Jeff stole a high lob pass that allowed us a possesion to get the game into OT. Then he scored 4 points in the overtime. He also grabbed the rebound off a Manhattan miss when Hayden was only up by 1.

Manhattan Coach said he thought it was the best chance for them to win. Next game will be another road test -then Hayden should roll after that for a couple weeks. 33 point game got Jeff going again after a couple sluggish outings. He is not a one man team - so keep that in mind when you hear about some of his stats as the season goes along.

Lefty Drisell of Maryland was a master of the slow down.

Tarheel I remember Phil Ford playing for Dean Smith being the master of the four corners. He would just dribble around and nobody could catch him. Ford was one of the few players that made the four corners seem exciting.

I was at this game. Manhattan ran a straight stall. Rarely did they make any cuts to the basket. Just passed it back and forth on the perimeter. The first quarter was over in exactly 8 minutes. Hayden stayed in their zone and some people on our local board tried to blame Hayden for the slow down. Well, we were ahead for most of the game! :rolleyes: It is legal - so I don't argue if a Coach wants to do it. I just did not think Manhattan was that weak. Hayden finally got behind in the 4th and made some critical plays to get back in it. Jeff stole a high lob pass that allowed us a possesion to get the game into OT. Then he scored 4 points in the overtime. He also grabbed the rebound off a Manhattan miss when Hayden was only up by 1.

Manhattan Coach said he thought it was the best chance for them to win. Next game will be another road test -then Hayden should roll after that for a couple weeks. 33 point game got Jeff going again after a couple sluggish outings. He is not a one man team - so keep that in mind when you hear about some of his stats as the season goes along.

Topeka, what size school is Hayden? Is the competition for a 4A team pretty good or do you get a lot of mismatched games? Brett Thompson played for a real small school in Southern Illinois and there's no doubt he's had a harder transition then other freshmen because the competition he played against last year was so weak. Just trying to get a sense of the competition Reid is facing.

-we have complaints about slu's shot clock keeper, can you imagine the shenanigans on the high school level with a shot clock?

GoBills. You're right on. Dean Smith was the master. He and his teams used it frequently and, most of the time, to perfection. At the same time, Dean Smith received the most publicity but ALMOST ALL teams ran the "4 corners" - or at least a form of it. Norm Stewart and Mizzou were also quite good at it. The difference, as I recall, is that Dean Smith started it earlier than most coaches - with nearly 10 minutes to go in the game with a decent lead. It was as much a pyschological tool as much as a tactical move.

-we have complaints about slu's shot clock keeper, can you imagine the shenanigans on the high school level with a shot clock?

Exactly, that would be a nightmare.

I've run slowdown offenses as a youth coach and have had them run against me. There is an easy fix to it, ball pressure. Put three guys on the perimeter and double and triple team the ball out near half court. You'll either get scored on and get the ball back or more likely get TOs. The slow down is a good tactic to use but it has been so long since it was a part of the game most coaches don't know how to run it or attack it.

Topeka, what size school is Hayden? Is the competition for a 4A team pretty good or do you get a lot of mismatched games? Brett Thompson played for a real small school in Southern Illinois and there's no doubt he's had a harder transition then other freshmen because the competition he played against last year was so weak. Just trying to get a sense of the competition Reid is facing.

In Kansas, basketball classifications were determined on September populations of grades 10-12. Class 4A populations range from 195-503 - 64 Teams.

Class 5A 510-993 - 32 Teams. Class 6A 1074-1559 - 32 Teams. Hayden (pop 385) plays in the Centennial League with Highland Park - State Champ in 5A last 2 years. There are several CLASS 5A teams that have a history of Final 4 finishes at the state tourney. Several other 6A teams - not the strongest in the class in recent years. Hayden is the only 4A school in the league. Hayden was the CLASS 4A Champ last yeaar and won a squeaker over Highland Park at Hayden last year. If ESPN really wanted to show a crazy madhouse high school basketball game - they should have scheduled the Hayden-HP game this year. It will be the last game of the regular season at Highland Park. They only play once this year because the league was expanded several years ago. Last year's game was HP's only loss in the last 3 years.

The Topeka area has produced several state champions since the 1960s. Fred Slaughter (UCLA) Topeka High - Lon Kruger (K-STATE) Silver Lake - Mark Turgeon (KANSAS) Hayden and many more(see below). Most of the top players don't grade out as 5 star or 4 star, etc. But we produce many sound players that go on to D-II or Mid-Major D-1. Reid is the best player I have ever seen at Hayden and they are playing competition as good as the state of Kansas has this year. But they do play several weak 4A teams during the regular season. We have a good coach and the other players besides Reid never overlook the competition. I think Jeff sometimes loses a little focus against some of the lesser opponents - but it does not take much to snap him out of it. His game against Topeka High was a good example. They are a 6A team and they play in an historic old gym (holds around 4500 - built in the 1930s.) He scored 33 there and Topeka High (they are off to a terrible start) really got after it against Hayden. They don't particularly like losing to a 4A team and they have a great basketball tradition. Dean Smith (HOF) played for Topeka in this gym back in the late 1940s.

Well, this is more info than anyone is probably interested in - if you want to know more about Hayden and some of the rivalries and history of the school go to my sports history site that has become kind of a hobby for me over the last few years. We are kind of in a "glory" period right now. The girls won a 4A Volleyball State championship in 2007. The boys just won a Class 4A championship after winning the CLASS 4a Basketball championship last year. All of our rivals are sick of it - probably have a few lean years coming up. Anyway this link will take you to the Hayden site I set up.

http://macfeesports.com/

in this day and age of belly button denial man to man defense being the norm and refs that dont blow whistles there really isnt a need for a shot clock especially at the high school level. guards at the high school level able to hold the ball for extended periods of time without turnovers are very rare.

you read it yourself in the post from the reid fan, they stayed in a zone. had they pressured the ball the stall wouldnt have happened.

high schools dont have the funds to buy the clocks let alone have someone credible to run it and then to keep it running properly mechanically. it would be a nightmare excuse for false finishes in games far to often imo.

Tarheel I remember Phil Ford playing for Dean Smith being the master of the four corners. He would just dribble around and nobody could catch him. Ford was one of the few players that made the four corners seem exciting.

One the few times I seen the 4 corners successfully attacked was the 1977 NCAA Championship when Carolina lost to Marquette.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm actually worried about Reid joining the SLU roster. Between him and Willie Reed, this is a nightmare come true for Guy Phillips. The word "correction" will be forever echoing through the Chaifetz Arena.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm actually worried about Reid joining the SLU roster. Between him and Willie Reed, this is a nightmare come true for Guy Phillips. The word "correction" will be forever echoing through the Chaifetz Arena.

guy is praying that rickma doesnt recruit red willis.

If you think that's bad, imagine how it would be if the Bills had also gotten Matt Read (admittedly, I don't know if his name is pronounced reeed or red). Even Ramsey might have some difficulties:

Reed with the block; outlet to Read. Read up the court, drives into the lane, kicks out to Reid for three: Bang!

We'd have no idea what just happened!

Jeff Reid led Hayden to a road win over Washburn Rural in Topeka last night. He scored 32. Hayden's 2nd straight OT win. 9-18 FG (4 of them for 3's) and 10-10 from the line. Probably attempted some threes where he should have passed - but he was hot at the time. People hanging on him all night - undercut on a break away dunk. NO CALL. He missed the dunk.

Jeff Reid led Hayden to a road win over Washburn Rural in Topeka last night. He scored 32. Hayden's 2nd straight OT win. 9-18 FG (4 of them for 3's) and 10-10 from the line. Probably attempted some threes where he should have passed - but he was hot at the time. People hanging on him all night - undercut on a break away dunk. NO CALL. He missed the dunk.

-i hope he was not injured????