Joe "too cheap for $7.25 beer" Bonwich

willie

Hey Joe I just read your review of the 10 best new restaurants in the Post. Good Stuff but I have a question. They are all east of 170.. Is that an accident or does that make some kind of statement about where new places need to be? You would think with all the money in West County there would be some outstanding new places there. Or maybe you just like coming into the city?

Hey Joe I just read your review of the 10 best new restaurants in the Post. Good Stuff but I have a question. They are all east of 170.. Is that an accident or does that make some kind of statement about where new places need to be? You would think with all the money in West County there would be some outstanding new places there. Or maybe you just like coming into the city?

not my thread but the area around SLU with Good Pie, Triumph, Tap Room (old place) is hot, hot, hot

SLU is a destination area, finally

It's a moving target. A few years ago there were several very good indies opening up in the Chesterfield Valley, but I think that area is now somewhat saturated (and I'd be willing to bet the rents are a bit higher than at, say, Macklind and Finkman).

I've always guessed, without hard data, that good restaurants cluster along the Highway 40 corridor from downtown to about 270. The problem with the relatively high-disposable-income parts of West and South (and East) County is that the density of dining-out dollars is lower. (Plus good restaurants also depend on business dinners for some portion of their income, and the business-dinner dollar is still concentrated on a line with endpoints in downtown and Clayton.

At the same time, good dining keeps spreading out further west, as illustrated by BC's Kitchen in Lake Saint Louis. BC's was fine, but it didn't make my final cut.

P.S. I'd gladly pay $7.25 for, say, an O'Fallon Smoked Porter. It would be nice to have an alternative to the making love on a boat beers that they serve at Chaifetz. B)

West County (where I believe Joe resides) is better known for national chains (the Smoke House aside) than it is unique restaurants. I would guess that there is something like a 10 to 1 ratio of fine and near-fine non-chain restaurants in the Clayton-CWE-Midtown-Downtown corridor versus West County.

It's a moving target. A few years ago there were several very good indies opening up in the Chesterfield Valley, but I think that area is now somewhat saturated (and I'd be willing to bet the rents are a bit higher than at, say, Macklind and Finkman).

I've always guessed, without hard data, that good restaurants cluster along the Highway 40 corridor from downtown to about 270. The problem with the relatively high-disposable-income parts of West and South (and East) County is that the density of dining-out dollars is lower. (Plus good restaurants also depend on business dinners for some portion of their income, and the business-dinner dollar is still concentrated on a line with endpoints in downtown and Clayton.

At the same time, good dining keeps spreading out further west, as illustrated by BC's Kitchen in Lake Saint Louis. BC's was fine, but it didn't make my final cut.

P.S. I'd gladly pay $7.25 for, say, an O'Fallon Smoked Porter. It would be nice to have an alternative to the making love on a boat beers that they serve at Chaifetz. B)

Just don't make this argument on STLToday.com, they'll nail you for it.

I might be stretching here, but good restaurants are often more than just good food. With that, it seems that there is often some emphasis on being in "hip urban locations", such as the Loop, Downtown, CWE, South Grand, Clayton, etc.

I would also say that many people choose to live in the City or inner-County because of its close proximity to fine dining and unique cuisine. If you're opening a new Pan-Asian fusion restaurant, Chesterfield just doesn't seem like a good logical choice.

Joe, how did Pi not make your list? IMO, that is one of the best new places to open in the last several years.

Pi was on the long list (the first 15-20 from which I cut 10), but not the short list. It's a great place, but I couldn't figure out why it should displace any of the others that I came up with -- possibly, I guess, because it's just pizza and salads. (And yes, Pappy's is just barbecue. Ain't no hard and fast rules.)

Pi was on the long list (the first 15-20 from which I cut 10), but not the short list. It's a great place, but I couldn't figure out why it should displace any of the others that I came up with -- possibly, I guess, because it's just pizza and salads. (And yes, Pappy's is just barbecue. Ain't no hard and fast rules.)

Bonwich, can you post a link to your list?

-there is a Schlafly kiosk at Chaifetz, behind 102 I think

I will have to remember that. I wish I read this before tonight's game. I could have used a couple with the way the Bills played that first half. If I am going to pay $7 or $8, it certainly would not be for Bud or Bud Lite, so I haven't had beer at a game yet. Although enough people pay that price, so that's where it remains. I grew up on Budweiser and before that Busch and before that Falstaff (yes, I am dating myself), but Bud just tastes flat and watered down to me now. I did business in Portland around 15-16 years ago and got into some of the microbrews and it is hard to go back now. I need something with a little bite. Especially with InBev now, support truly local brewers like Schalfly and O'Fallon. Even Griesedieck has revived the old name, although I don't think it is brewed locally, but it is a pretty good brew.

Joe, I just read the comments to your article. You have my sympathies. I had no idea how bad the ignorance and lunacy is in our region. 7+ pages of attacks by exburban idiots, yet not a single substantive rebuttal of your choices.

Having just recently moved downtown, I think there are some restaurants trying to get by on location alone, and skimping on the food quality. (Flannery's and Beso, I'm looking at you).

Flannery's food has declined, their beer prices are generally too high, and their service is awful. DT needs another true sports bar to offset this, so maybe the staff at Flannery's will try harder.

I like Side Bar right across the street from Flannery's. Not a 'sports bar', but a nice place with good food and a really nice happy hour. I wonder if they could get the game?

I like Side Bar right across the street from Flannery's. Not a 'sports bar', but a nice place with good food and a really nice happy hour. I wonder if they could get the game?

Side Bar brings out the projector for big sporting events and local stuff usually. Not great watching unless you get right up near it though, otherwise there's a crowd of people in the way.

and thank goodness for no more beso. Fine margaritas but terrible food and service. Incidentally I heard nothing but bad things about the owner and his brother.

Flannery's food has declined, their beer prices are generally too high, and their service is awful. DT needs another true sports bar to offset this, so maybe the staff at Flannery's will try harder.

What about Jack Patrick's?

I always liked that place.