Breaking recruiting news

Guest BillikenReport

WOW! That was pretty darn good. You sure told me a thing or two! Let's change topics. I'm more than sure that The Billikens won't win 12 games this year. RM doesn't understand that he must put the better players in the game to win. This year will be worse than last. FACT!

Fair enough. I can't guarantee we'll have a winning season (i.e. better than last year) but I think it's a pretty solid bet that we win 12 games. These aren't just young, taleneted knuckleheads. They all come from highly successful programs, they'll figure out how to win. I do agree that the better offensive players need to play more, but discipline is just as big a part of things and Majerus can't be too lenient or punitive with playing time based on players' amount of discipline. Sure, Ruben Cotto is going to take bad shots and barely miss. But Paul Eckerle is taking good shots and missing by a mile. And Cassity's not hitting much of anything either. It would be really nice to see Ruben get 20 minutes in an upcoming game, I almost guarantee he scores at least 10 points. I think Majerus just understands that it's better to instill a particular mindset early on as opposed to getting instant gratification in the form of more offense. Even if, selfishly, that's what I want to see.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm not Roy Williams, but I'm sure I know more about the top talent across the nation than you and STLhoops. You two do a decent job reporting on local talent, but have no clue about the top talent in the country. You put Beal in the NYC or Philadelphia PA public high league and he's lucky to make the JV team.

EDIT: You must not be Roy Williams, because along with Billy Donovan, Matt Painter, Bruce Weber, Bill Self, Mike Anderson, and Rick Majerus, Roy Williams has given Beal [a lot of interest] (this article is from today):

http://www.illinihq.com/news/mens_basketba...r_bradley_beal/

Have you seen UNC's roster this year? They have a shot at an undefeated season. They are far and away the best team in college basketball and will be favored heading into every single game they play. They're basically a lock for a 1-seed barring massive injuries to several players. They are beating highly-ranked teams by bigger margins that those other highly-ranked teams are beating cupcakes. There are future NBA stars in that roster. And yet, this program - and most other major programs - see something in Bradley Beal that you don't.

I think the NYC and Philly PHLs would be happy to have a kid like that. The vast majority of those players will not get offers from the level that Beal is. And I don't know who you are, but those coaches know more "about top talent in the country" than you do.

Guest BillikenReport

You must not be Roy Williams, because along with Billy Donovan, Matt Painter, Bruce Weber, Bill Self, Mike Anderson, and Rick Majerus, Roy Williams has given Beal an offer (this article is from today):

http://www.illinihq.com/news/mens_basketba...r_bradley_beal/

Beal doesn't have an offer from North Carolina.

mn203,

Some friendly advice: you might want to blow up that screen name and come back to the board with another name after the first impression you made here.

mn203,

Some friendly advice: you might want to blow up that screen name and come back to the board with another name after the first impression you made here.

My mistake- I saw North Carolina after Florida in that article and thought it was a comma instead of a period. I'm sure mn will jump on that.

Guest BillikenReport

My mistake- I saw North Carolina after Florida in that article and thought it was a comma instead of a period. I'm sure mn will jump on that.

No problem. Just wanted to clarify that.

North Carolina doesn't offer a lot of kids early. If I remember correctly with Suggs, UNC contacted him regularly but either didn't offer at all or offered him very late in the process after missing out on some other players.

I would expect UNC to use the same wait-and-see approach with Beal.

mn203,

That move is called the "Billiphan/Postcard switcheroo" :lol:

Yeah, UNC and Duke can pretty much just take their pick anytime. Kentucky used to be like that too. I think Texas and UCLA can make that claim now.

Non one just gets to pick and choose who they want. Kansas is the top program of the last twenty years and even they have to fight with the Mississippi St. of the world for top kids.

On this Chaminade kid, if Bill Self invites you to Late Night then this kid can play. Not everyone gets that invite. Yes I know the best Phili kids are now playing for KU, but over the years how many of them go to KU, Duke, NC and UCLA.

By the way I told everyone a year ago that Willie Reed is a player, Bill liked him but he was a notch below the KU level.

WOW! That was pretty darn good. You sure told me a thing or two! Let's change topics. I'm more than sure that The Billikens won't win 12 games this year. RM doesn't understand that he must put the better players in the game to win. This year will be worse than last. FACT!

on second thought maybe you bettter not reveal your real name and "credentials". after this post considering we got 6 buy games remaining i would be happy to take that 12 win bet. you have definitely revealed your ignorance now. nate is right, best thing you could do now is beg the moderators to let you slink off into the cyber sunset and start fresh with a new moniker. you are a joke.

On this Chaminade kid, if Bill Self invites you to Late Night then this kid can play. Not everyone gets that invite. Yes I know the best Phili kids are now playing for KU, but over the years how many of them go to KU, Duke, NC and UCLA.

In an attempt to bring this thread full circle, I believe Jeff Reid was invited to Late Night. See KU Notes and News:

Twins Marcus and Markieff Morris, a pair of forwards from Philadelphia, attended Late Night in the Phog. Marcus is 6-7, 215 pounds, and Rivals.com's No. 37-rated player. Markieff is 6-8, 225, and rated 74th. They are considering KU, Villanova and St. John's ... Travis Releford, a 6-5 guard from Roeland Park Miege who has orally committed to KU, also attended, as did a pair of juniors: Jeff Reid, 6-5, Topeka Hayden, and Michael Dixon, 6-0, Lee's Summit (Mo.) High.

I am pretty sure MN=Slapster. He was previously on this board and on Salukitalk. I am pretty sure it is the same guy that use to also post on this board and Salukitalk under two separate names that magically disappeared from both boards before he appeared as Slapster.

He scored 52 against CBC. Does that make him High Major? Heck no! He should have scored 70 against CBC. They are not very good. How many did Beal have aginst McCluer? The kid is Low Major at best.

I'd like to hear mn's response to that!!!! WOW!!!!!

All of those kids are Low Major players at best. There is nothing special about their game. Kids like that are a dime a dozen.

So what are you thoughts on Shaquille Boga, Ben McLemore, Christian Kirk, Keonte Minor, Charles Joy, Dantiel Daniels and Javier Duren?

If you truly know the game like you claim than keep it real. SLU is not very good and RM is doing a horrible job. He promised things would change when he brought some of HIS recruits in. Heck, he is not even playing the better players. Everyone on this board is so shocked that KL is not playing well. He's an average player that can't create his shot off the dribble. RM is too stubborn to make changes.

mn203,

How many did Griffey have against McCluer last night? McCluer's tallest player was 6'4'' and Griffey did NOTHING! Will Kirksey is a better player than Griffey.He won't see the floor at Illinois!

why should we trust you over high level D! coaches??