Femi is redshirting

GoBills

Roy,

I disagree - you want everyone to think it is all about Rickma. Absent your making an issue out of this I think most fans would never have noticed it. Why Rick did it is his call, but in light of the generosity he has shown by giving this kid a scholarship so he can play for a year with his brother, during his brother's senior year - so that whole family can enjoy it - to criticize Rick for not playing him and saying this was Rickma's way of showing that it is all about Rickma is sure overlooking all he has down for the kid and his family.

I think it shows your true feelings for Rickma, not Rickma's feelings for the kid.

but he wont play with his brother. daniel will just sit there the entire year. and that isnt enjoyable for the family to watch.

as to the scholarship issue, daniel had a scholarship. a special education degree from either fontbonne or slu isnt going to make him a dime's bit of difference when he goes to work at an area high school down the road.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you are ridiculous roy. if it isn't enjoyable for the family to experience kevin and daniel on the same team together because daniel is not getting PT, then don't you think they should have expected this. i find it hard to believe daniel - a guy who averaged 10 pts a game in hs - was thinking he'd get any PT coming here. he came to be around his brother for free for a year. playing time or no playing time.

and the degree from SLU is much more valuable than fontbonne. if he stays in special ed - which who knows for sure given that he is 18 years old - maybe someone around here won't care when hiring him to teach. but what if he changes his career path (like most college students eventually do) and decides to go into something like business (like Kevin). don't you think the slu degree is better than fontbonne?

did daniel have a full scholly to fontbonne?

but he wont play with his brother. daniel will just sit there the entire year. and that isnt enjoyable for the family to watch.

as to the scholarship issue, daniel had a scholarship. a special education degree from either fontbonne or slu isnt going to make him a dime's bit of difference when he goes to work at an area high school down the road.

So Majerus gives a kid a scholarship for a year, who otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to practice, train and learn from Division I coaches, yet some people are criticizing the coach for not playing Daniel a few seconds in an exhibition game? I can't believe that. Daniel should be thankful for the opportunity. I would rather give the playing time at the end of the game to walk-ons, who are paying for their education and may actually be with the program in the future.

Roy you are wrong about Daniel having a scholarship to Fontbonne. DIII schools do not offer athletic scholarships. What he would have received is a financial aid package. It would have been a combination of grants and student loans. A large part of which he would have been responsible to start paying back after graduation. So Majerus giving him a scholarship was definitely a big favor to him and his family. Edited by brianstl

Ok so they had these 2 scenarios.

He sits next to his brother on the bench w/ a free year at SLU.

He sits next to his family in the stands.

I'd say the Lisch family is perfectly happy with SLU. Little to no college costs so far.

You are getting really ridiculous in your hate for Majerus. Get over it.

Guest BillikenReport

Wow.

Apparently its not enough for the coach to give a scholarship to someone who wasn't worthy of one.

Roy. Got to disagree with you on this one. Why the anger with RM. I agree with most of the Board so far and don't feel RM should be attacked. Personally, I am having a hard time with the entire Daniel Lisch situation. Greatly apprecite the contribution of KL and his sister, Theresa, but don't think SLU should be giving a scholarship to Daniel in the first place. I thought we are going "big time" but the scholarship to the Lisch family seems more like the "Mom & Pop" to me. Now that the scholarship has been given and the explanation is that we want KL and his brother to play together, then I am a little perplexed (like Roy) by RM not playing Daniel in favor of 2 walkons. Apparently, that was the only game KL and Daniel could play together. Why go through the entire scholarship thing and then miss your big chance? Perplexed but not angry with RM.

BTW, the walkons can get their "3 minutes of fame" against 6 buy games against the likes of Liberty, Upstate SC, etc.

Roy. Got to disagree with you on this one. Why the anger with RM. I agree with most of the Board so far and don't feel RM should be attacked. Personally, I am having a hard time with the entire Daniel Lisch situation. Greatly apprecite the contribution of KL and his sister, Theresa, but don't think SLU should be giving a scholarship to Daniel in the first place. I thought we are going "big time" but the scholarship to the Lisch family seems more like the "Mom & Pop" to me. Now that the scholarship has been given and the explanation is that we want KL and his brother to play together, then I am a little perplexed (like Roy) by RM not playing Daniel in favor of 2 walkons. Apparently, that was the only game KL and Daniel could play together. Why go through the entire scholarship thing and then miss your big chance? Perplexed but not angry with RM.

BTW, the walkons can get their "3 minutes of fame" against 6 buy games against the likes of Liberty, Upstate SC, etc.

I would say the walk-ons should get their minutes of fame whenever theycan. They are paying their way through school and offer their time to help the team. They are making a true sacrifice to help the program. If Majerus wants to continue to upgrade the class of walk-on we get he needs to show they will get an opportunity to play when possible.

Practice? We talkin bout practice?! Listen, this was a glorified practice for Majerus. He was redshirting Daniel the whole time. It doesn't do Rick or the team any good to play Daniel. Sure, i guess he would have appreciated it. But this is big time college athletics and if Rick wants to use every available minute to check out his players and rotations, then so be it.

and if that is the case (which i believed as well until someone posted something last week from the ncaa that led us to believe otherwise) there was no excuse for rickma not letting daniel get a few minutes last week.

Maybe RM hadn't made up his mind about Femi yet, but had already decided DL would redshirt.

I think it would have been a nice gesture for Daniel Lisch and Kevin Lisch to play together in a Billikens uniform, even if just for an exhibition, and maybe it would have happened if Kevin had been able to play late in the game. But I don't think anyone in the Lisch family is incensed that Daniel didn't get in against Harris-Stowe late, because Kevin wasn't even on the bench. A pass from one to the other for a basket would have been great fun, but it wasn't possible because of Kevin's injury.

Let's not make too big of a deal of it. They've played together before (in high school), and they'll play together again in the future (in the summer league), and the family will enjoy that, I'm sure. But it's not like a highlight play between the two in the Harris-Stowe exhibition was going to air on ESPN or even Channel 5.

I hope you're right, but the team will have to play a lot better than they did against UMSL for walkons to see ANY action this years...unless it's at the end of a lopsided loss.

I think SLU WILL improve as the season goes on, but I'm just saying...

I hope you're right, but the team will have to play a lot better than they did against UMSL for walkons to see ANY action this years...unless it's at the end of a lopsided loss.

I think SLU WILL improve as the season goes on, but I'm just saying...

I don't recall B'roy quibbling about UB's decision to play a walkon over DM a couple of years back. Yet RM not giving young Lisch some minutes catches his attention? Jeesh, B'roy, you gotta' ease up here.

What happened to all the so-called insiders who SWORE no one other than Daniel was redshirting? It just goes to show you that no one really knows all the scoop which is a good thing. Rick is smart to play his cards very close to his chest. This redshirt makes sense for several reasons. Glad to see it was done.

P.S. For those who complain about individuals leaving the game early, if you had been sitting right in front of the guy I sat in front of, you would have left early too - that or you would have committed suicide. This guy ran his mouth the entire time. He never shut up. Not cheering, just a nonstop stream of consciousness blathering. I am either moving my seats or buying earplugs. It's going to be a loooooooong season. Sigh.

I didn't notice that was you behind me.

So Majerus gives a kid a scholarship for a year, who otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to practice, train and learn from Division I coaches, yet some people are criticizing the coach for not playing Daniel a few seconds in an exhibition game? I can't believe that. Daniel should be thankful for the opportunity. I would rather give the playing time at the end of the game to walk-ons, who are paying for their education and may actually be with the program in the future.

No, not some people.

It's like a satelite radio station, Here at KROY we're not like the other stations who occasionally criticize Coach Majerus, we bash him non stop 24 hours a day. If there isn't a good reason, don't worry KROY fans, we'll invent one ... so for your daily dose of RM bashing there's really only one Stl choice KROY. Tune in today to learn about how RM has intentionally hurt the starving children in Dafur.

you are ridiculous roy. if it isn't enjoyable for the family to experience kevin and daniel on the same team together because daniel is not getting PT, then don't you think they should have expected this. i find it hard to believe daniel - a guy who averaged 10 pts a game in hs - was thinking he'd get any PT coming here. he came to be around his brother for free for a year. playing time or no playing time.

and the degree from SLU is much more valuable than fontbonne. if he stays in special ed - which who knows for sure given that he is 18 years old - maybe someone around here won't care when hiring him to teach. but what if he changes his career path (like most college students eventually do) and decides to go into something like business (like Kevin). don't you think the slu degree is better than fontbonne?

did daniel have a full scholly to fontbonne?

arent you an atty? and you couldnt comprehend i said it would have been nice for daniel to play a couple of minutes in the exhibition game? no where did i say that i expected daniel to play any other minutes this season. but that was the ONLY chance daniel would have had to play in a billiken game.

and yes, he had a full scholarship to fontbonne.

as to your question about degrees, that might be the stupidest thought you have ever put on this message board. rickma made it clear he is never going to get a slu degree. one year of general studies credits from slu. that is all he is getting academically at slu. so a "slu degree" is or never was a possibility.

Roy you are wrong about Daniel having a scholarship to Fontbonne. DIII schools do not offer athletic scholarships. What he would have received is a financial aid package. It would have been a combination of grants and student loans. A large part of which he would have been responsible to start paying back after graduation. So Majerus giving him a scholarship was definitely a big favor to him and his family.

brian, i never said he had an athletic scholarship. but he indeed had a scholarship.

No, not some people.

It's like a satelite radio station, Here at KROY we're not like the other stations who occasionally criticize Coach Majerus, we bash him non stop 24 hours a day. If there isn't a good reason, don't worry KROY fans, we'll invent one ... so for your daily dose of RM bashing there's really only one Stl choice KROY. Tune in today to learn about how RM has intentionally hurt the starving children in Dafur.

skip, you havent been reading all of my posts the if you think this. i have been very complimentary to rickma with the exception of this one small issue after both games when discussing the play of the freshmen and their expected maturation. but you all love to jump on me when i do point out rickma's shortcomings.

i dont like the way rickma handles people. however i think he is a very good basketball coach and i have said from day one of the rickma reign that i know he will win.

No, not some people.

Or, how he singlehandedly caused the current financial crisis because he didn't buy a home in St. L but instead lives in a hotel.

skip, you havent been reading all of my posts the if you think this. i have been very complimentary to rickma with the exception of this one small issue after both games when discussing the play of the freshmen and their expected maturation. but you all love to jump on me when i do point out rickma's shortcomings.

i dont like the way rickma handles people. however i think he is a very good basketball coach and i have said from day one of the rickma reign that i know he will win.

You ought to know, I'm just harrassing you. I don't agree with many of your views on RM, and I agree on others. It's my opinion that you're over the top with your criticism ... which opens the door for me to give you a little crap

Rickma's shortcomings? Per whose standards? Shortcomings according to the Gospel of B'roy is whose. Please provide a list of what you think his shortcomings are other than his extreme fondness for food and drink. What you label as shortcomings most of us see as moves to wake up a moribound program. Face it, you don't like the man, you don't think he's right for SLU, and you would move if he took the barstool next to you. Look, most of us didn't start bashing your boy UB, until it became painfully obvious he couldn't recruit an alkie to a New Year's Eve party. He had about a four year grace period on here. Give RM the same consideration. We all know he's not Sister Teresa or Miss Manners. He wasn't hired to be them. He was hired to get this program in gear....high gear.

Rickma's shortcomings? Per whose standards? Shortcomings according to the Gospel of B'roy is whose. Please provide a list of what you think his shortcomings are other than his extreme fondness for food and drink. What you label as shortcomings most of us see as moves to wake up a moribound program. Face it, you don't like the man, you don't think he's right for SLU, and you would move if he took the barstool next to you. Look, most of us didn't start bashing your boy UB, until it became painfully obvious he couldn't recruit an alkie to a New Year's Eve party. He had about a four year grace period on here. Give RM the same consideration. We all know he's not Sister Teresa or Miss Manners. He wasn't hired to be them. He was hired to get this program in gear....high gear.

again, not sure why soderberg is being brought into this. those of you that want to make excuses because he isnt soderberg are imo part of the problem as well. soderberg is gone. judge him for what he is not what soderberg was or wasnt. soderberg is never coming back and comparing rickma to him only keeps things on a much lower standard. i am sorry for those of you that are content to base your thoughts on "well at least he isnt soderberg".

i already said what i consider his shortcomings. he treats people horribly. the way he handled the whole cut of players was dispicable imo. the stories about his practices are almost beyond belief, the sports illustrated article last year was embarrassing. and the fact he wont make himself more available for boosters and the media is not the way top head coaches act.

other than that, i think he is doing a great job as far as recruiting and game coaching. what he has done to get more allocated to the basketball program will forever be a program changer. you say he's not sister teresa/miss manners, i totally agree (that might be the understatement of your life) i dont see why he cant be a great coach and a more model person as well in order to "get his program into high gear". especially for the bucks he is getting paid. and imo, he was paid to do more than just win. he is probably the most visible face of saint louis university in the nation. and EVERYTHING he does or doesnt do is magnified. we as the hard core fanbase understand his difficult job, but the casual and non fans dont. and they see the negatives far more than they see the positives. and that reflects on saint louis university.

again, not sure why soderberg is being brought into this. those of you that want to make excuses because he isnt soderberg are imo part of the problem as well. soderberg is gone. judge him for what he is not what soderberg was or wasnt. soderberg is never coming back and comparing rickma to him only keeps things on a much lower standard. i am sorry for those of you that are content to base your thoughts on "well at least he isnt soderberg".

i already said what i consider his shortcomings. he treats people horribly. the way he handled the whole cut of players was dispicable imo. the stories about his practices are almost beyond belief, the sports illustrated article last year was embarrassing. and the fact he wont make himself more available for boosters and the media is not the way top head coaches act.

other than that, i think he is doing a great job as far as recruiting and game coaching. what he has done to get more allocated to the basketball program will forever be a program changer. you say he's not sister teresa/miss manners, i totally agree (that might be the understatement of your life) i dont see why he cant be a great coach and a more model person as well in order to "get his program into high gear". especially for the bucks he is getting paid. and imo, he was paid to do more than just win. he is probably the most visible face of saint louis university in the nation. and EVERYTHING he does or doesnt do is magnified. we as the hard core fanbase understand his difficult job, but the casual and non fans dont. and they see the negatives far more than they see the positives. and that reflects on saint louis university.

Roy. Can't let you get away with that last comment. The casual and non fans don't know or care who DM, AK, AM and MR are. They also have no clue what was said to DM prior to last season regarding redshirting. They don't know or care he handles people here at SLU or previously at Utah. The casual and non fans also don't know or care that RM does not like doing post-game radio shows or showing up at the Tip Off Club meetings. Only we die-hards know and care.

Instead, the casual and non fans know this is his second year, know he is being paid quite well and will be wondering why we are doing better. They have no idea or care that RM was hired last in the Spring and had time only to recruit PE to the team. They don't know or care that Brad left the cupboards bare with the exception of TL and KL.