UK and Harrellson

davidnark

Cowboy. Thanks for the statistics but dont' believe they are quite relevant here. Many kids quit college because of the lack of money/need to work and because they struggle academically. Basketball players have full scholarships, room & board and tutors. If college athletes quit school, they also quit playing the sport they love. Also, JH did not even enroll at WIU so it is not a case of him giving it a try and then changing his mind. If that happens with UK, then undrstand - kids do in fact transfer. Here, though, JH made a bad decision regarding WIU, was then forced to go to JUCO, now UK and then possibly another place - more drama than your average college student.

-clock, not all kids in the 49% are quitting school, some do - no doubt about it - some are transferring to other schools

-some athletes transfer to other schools and continue to play

-"Also, JH did not even enroll at WIU so it is not a case of him giving it a try and then changing his mind" - i disagree, it is exactly him changing his mind

-if we accept the stat from ACT that roughly half do not graduate within 5 yrs from the school where they first enrolled, then what is your average college student?

-just trying to make the point that these are kids

Being a basketball player at UK comes with a lot more benefits than being a basketball player at SLU.

No doubt, Nate. Sometimes when you watch schools like UNC and Duke you look at the benches and wonder what a great career most would have had for a not so high profile major or an A-10 school. Most likely starters and stars, but now content with just picking up junk minutes at the biggies. You do get to the tourney every year and a decent shot at being an NCAA champion and am sure that ring will open a lot of doors down the road. In a way I admire them as they were probably everyone's all american since the 7th grade but now have to sit on their egos for the benefit of the team.

-clock, not all kids in the 49% are quitting school, some do - no doubt about it - some are transferring to other schools

-some athletes transfer to other schools and continue to play

-"Also, JH did not even enroll at WIU so it is not a case of him giving it a try and then changing his mind" - i disagree, it is exactly him changing his mind

-if we accept the stat from ACT that roughly half do not graduate within 5 yrs from the school where they first enrolled, then what is your average college student?

-just trying to make the point that these are kids

Cowboy. My comment about JH and WIU is that he did not go there, try and THEN change his mind. He changed his mind first and never set foot on campus as a student. Most of your 49%, I presume, started as a student and then changed their minds. Don't believe stats exist for non-basketball kids who say they will go to abc university but then change their minds and go to xyz university. The difference, though, is that I don't think you can truly compare D-1 basketball scholarship guys with the rest of us - the 49%. Most are truly ball players first and students second. They must continue with the same school or face the loss of their playing time. They must make commitment months before school starts. They get a full ride and all meals and lodging paid. They are high profile v. the average kid who can "get lost" at the school. Does that make them more mature than the average student? No. Does that mean they can't make mistakes that the average students make? No. My point is just that comparisons are not real accurate.

i saw harrelson had a double double. two rebounds and two fouls.

excuse me if i am more than content with thompson and reed.

i saw harrelson had a double double. two rebounds and two fouls.

excuse me if i am more than content with thompson and reed.

I watched most of the game and, of course, JH's time on the floor w/ great interest. I'm not sure why Gillespie recruited JH. There is no way he can stay w/ quick PF's. Also, he got himself in lousy positions for rebounds and wasn't blocking out. This is not sour grapes because he didn't choose SLU. And keep in mind this is his first year of D1 ball, he was going up against the best team in the country, but still he's got a lot of work in front of him to be a contributor at UK. He would have been a work in progress here as well. As an added note, over on CatsPause.com there was a thread that was titled, "Harrelson Quit". Couldn't open it as you have to be registered member. But get used to it JH, UK fans are tough on their players. What really killed UK last night, other than the imbalance in talent, was lack of a decent pg. They didn't resemble Gillespie's teams at TAM in any way shape or form.

I watched most of the game and, of course, JH's time on the floor w/ great interest. I'm not sure why Gillespie recruited JH. There is no way he can stay w/ quick PF's. Also, he got himself in lousy positions for rebounds and wasn't blocking out. This is not sour grapes because he didn't choose SLU. And keep in mind this is his first year of D1 ball, he was going up against the best team in the country, but still he's got a lot of work in front of him to be a contributor at UK. He would have been a work in progress here as well. As an added note, over on CatsPause.com there was a thread that was titled, "Harrelson Quit". Couldn't open it as you have to be registered member. But get used to it JH, UK fans are tough on their players. What really killed UK last night, other than the imbalance in talent, was lack of a decent pg. They didn't resemble Gillespie's teams at TAM in any way shape or form.

I can open the posts there. There is one stating that his Facebook status has been changed to "Done'. I would find it absolutely hilarious if the guy quit after two games. He's a ******.

I can open the posts there. There is one stating that his Facebook status has been changed to "Done'. I would find it absolutely hilarious if the guy quit after two games. He's a ******.

I doubt he'd do that. He'd be considered a real head case at that point and headed to D2 somewhere. But would not rule out a transfer after one year if he starts to ride the pine on a regular basis. I know UK has a really good big coming in next year, and Patterson didn't strike me as prime A grade NBA beef last night. But give him a chance, he's still basically a frosh in D1 and UNC's front line, even w/o Hansborough, can make just about anyone look bad.

speaking of inside players, the griffin kid at oklahoma is spectacular. his strength and athleticism is off the chart and on two occasions i have seen him drive down the middle of the lane dodging defenders on the dribble and then posterizing his opponent.

that is the next number one pick for the nba.

speaking of inside players, the griffin kid at oklahoma is spectacular. his strength and athleticism is off the chart and on two occasions i have seen him drive down the middle of the lane dodging defenders on the dribble and then posterizing his opponent.

I agree Roy. Watching that game last night Griffin reminded me of Amare Stoudamire. He had 25pts and 21 rebs, kid can flat out get off floor at 6'10. How about Stephen Curry? That kid is crazy good, if he doesnt win player of the year there should be an investigation.

I agree Roy. Watching that game last night Griffin reminded me of Amare Stoudamire. He had 25pts and 21 rebs, kid flat out get off floor at 6'10. How about Stephen Curry? That kid is crazy good, if he doesnt win player of the year there should be an investigation.

curry is fun to watch, but i wouldnt think twice about leaving him at the curb and giving griffin the front seat if they were both waiting for a ride. there is no comparison. my guess is that while they are both first rounders and likely lottery players curry will be pushed down because he is small. i dont see any possible reason for pushing griffin down. stoudemire is a decent comparison. griffin might be able to dribble a little better. i dont know who to compare the kid to. he is that good.

I'm not sure why Gillespie recruited JH

I think the way he was used last night is why Gillespie recruited him. He can give their "Bigs" 8-9 minute break and it keeps them from getting in serious foul trouble. I also think they wanted him to help in practice against the "Bigs".

I saw him twice last year and thought he would be a nice addition for the Bills. I never invisioned him being a starter at a SEC team.

The season is still early so I don't think people should right him off. I think he will be a nice back up; which at UK isn't all bad. (Remember Ashley Judd is one of their biggest fans and their cheerleaders are first class)

Just my thoughts.

curry is fun to watch, but i wouldnt think twice about leaving him at the curb and giving griffin the front seat if they were both waiting for a ride. there is no comparison. my guess is that while they are both first rounders and likely lottery players curry will be pushed down because he is small. i dont see any possible reason for pushing griffin down. stoudemire is a decent comparison. griffin might be able to dribble a little better. i dont know who to compare the kid to. he is that good.

I agree. Griffin is just a beast. Curry will will fall in the draft because of his size but I think he is the best player pound for pound in the college game. He had 44pts last night on an off shooting night, all the while playing point guard.

Both Griffin and Curry were insane. Griffin is putting up monster rebounding numbers and shooting like 75% from the floor or something. And Curry - nuff said.