Beer and Brats Last Night?

Box and Won

my question is if the early arrivers got to actually view the last half an hour of practice or were the curtains closed and the fandom had to wait until 6:30 for the players to join them?

my question is if the early arrivers got to actually view the last half an hour of practice or were the curtains closed and the fandom had to wait until 6:30 for the players to join them?

You could not view practice and they didn't have beer - much to coach's dismay. But the event was nice besides that. There wasn't a huge turnout - as you could guess - publicized too late.

Here is what when down. You got to eat a brat and get a drink first. The players then sat for autographs - had a poster schedule there, which was nice. After that, coach and the players sat down on the floor in the Fetz. Coach rambled on for a few minutes before leaving to talk to a recruit. The players introduced themselves and took questions. Question of the night - how will you guys replace Bryce Husak's speed and athleticism? That got a good rise out of everyone. After the players spoke, Majerus returned and took questions. As you can guess, he rambled on for a while but I thought he was entertaining. I don't think we learned much new from the event - he just said to stay patient and he is building this thing for the future. He can see really good things in another year or two. This year could be up and down with so many freshman getting their feet wet. He is adding four or even five recruits for next year. I'm sure I missed a lot, but that is a quick synopsis.

Because it really matters one way or the other?

I will never understand everyone's concern about closed practices. Coach clearly thinks closing practices is best for his program, so that is good enough for me. In the current Internet-environment, I would probably be inclined to do the same thing if I were coach.

because the fans want a chance for a preview. the way it was publicized, i bet plenty of fans seeing the overlapping times thought, "maybe we will get to see a little bit of the end of practice. let's go down there."

i figured that wasnt the case and thus stayed home to watch "my name is earl" instead.

I will never understand everyone's concern about closed practices. Coach clearly thinks closing practices is best for his program, so that is good enough for me. In the current Internet-environment, I would probably be inclined to do the same thing if I were coach.

I understand a little. I used to always go see a couple of practices before the season started, and I wish I still could. On the other hand, I also understand why they'd be closed and if he believes it helps him to win games ... so be it. I do think it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of scrimmage or something for Billiken Club members before the season, it really wouldn't hurt anything and would just be better publicity and another reason for people to join the club. What would have been wrong with a 30 minute scrimmage at the end of practice last night for Billiken Club members only.

because the fans want a chance for a preview. the way it was publicized, i bet plenty of fans seeing the overlapping times thought, "maybe we will get to see a little bit of the end of practice. let's go down there."

i figured that wasnt the case and thus stayed home to watch "my name is earl" instead.

Your loss. You missed a chance to really get to know the players.

I understand a little. I used to always go see a couple of practices before the season started, and I wish I still could. On the other hand, I also understand why they'd be closed and if he believes it helps him to win games ... so be it. I do think it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of scrimmage or something for Billiken Club members before the season, it really wouldn't hurt anything and would just be better publicity and another reason for people to join the club. What would have been wrong with a 30 minute scrimmage at the end of practice last night for Billiken Club members only.

I don't understand why they don't have some kind of blue/white scrimmage. It would probably be good for the kids to have some kind of dress rehersal. It would help build some interest with the hard core and maybe a few students. I use to enjoy going to a few practices but understand why a coach keeps it closed. I'm not sure why they are closed to the media who might generate some buzz.

Still haven't bought into the whole VCR/TIVO/DVR fad yet huh? ;)

I don't understand why they don't have some kind of blue/white scrimmage. It would probably be good for the kids to have some kind of dress rehersal. It would help build some interest with the hard core and maybe a few students. I use to enjoy going to a few practices but understand why a coach keeps it closed. I'm not sure why they are closed to the media who might generate some buzz.

FYI - UCLA has closed practices - closed to all, including the media. They have one 'open practice session' limited to media and 'some boosters and season ticket holders.' It was this past Wednesday.

What in the world was the University thinking when they decided to announce this with only 24 hours notice?

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy they did it. Need to do more of it...

But were they intentionally trying to keep it secret?

Did the Athlectic Department forget to let anyone know until last minute?

Was Rick late in confirming that he'd do it?

In any case, this is bush league. Not the way major events are produced.

What in the world was the University thinking when they decided to announce this with only 24 hours notice?

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy they did it. Need to do more of it...

But were they intentionally trying to keep it secret?

Did the Athlectic Department forget to let anyone know until last minute?

Was Rick late in confirming that he'd do it?

In any case, this is bush league. Not the way major events are produced.

I knew about it a few weeks ago when they announced it at the Tip Off Club meeting. So Rick couldnt have confirmed that late. Why wouldnt they try to get the word out? You are right, that is bush league.

FYI - UCLA has closed practices - closed to all, including the media. They have one 'open practice session' limited to media and 'some boosters and season ticket holders.' It was this past Wednesday.

This is the norm in major college hoops and has been the case for a long time. Invitation only. The fans get maybe one scrimmage, midnight madness event, and that's it for watching practices. I don't even understand the issue with this. It is very far from being a SLU thing.

This is the norm in major college hoops and has been the case for a long time. Invitation only. The fans get maybe one scrimmage, midnight madness event, and that's it for watching practices. I don't even understand the issue with this. It is very far from being a SLU thing.

midnight madness, one scrimmage .... ah, to be so lucky.

Debating whether or not that is fair or enough or good is another thing altogether. The point I made was simply that this has been going on for many years all over the country. It isn't anything new, or unique to SLU.

Well, slu doesn't host one public practice/scrimmage. You're saying that's the norm? Or is it the norm to have closed practices but with one or two pre-season public practices?

I knew about it a few weeks ago when they announced it at the Tip Off Club meeting. So Rick couldnt have confirmed that late. Why wouldnt they try to get the word out? You are right, that is bush league.

I got an email on this at least 10 days ago and I am sure it was sent to a broad group. It was also announced at the Tip Off Club/Billiken Club meeting. It was repeated on this board. There was plenty of notice to fans who were interested.