Poll: Who player(s) are you most interested in watching this year

Majerus Magic

Personally, I am interested in seeing the progress of Kevin this year and the development of Ruben. What say you guys?

Lisch and Liddell- this team's success is 100% dependent on the success of these two guys. I'm interested to see what they've done to improve in the offseason, how they'll respond to the challenge of having a young roster on their shoulders, how they'll respond to the leadership duties, what Majerus does with them from and X's and O's standpoint and if he just "lets them play", how hard they work in and out of games, how far they'll climb in the SLU record books, if they develop into potential NBA players (even if as long shots), how other teams develop game plans around them, and how much they get out of the surrounding cast.

These are two guys who have shown us they can take over games but not on a consistent basis. I would love it if they can just play balls to the wall and go into every game in "takeover" mode. I think of Tommie's stretch of games when he was a 20-and-10 guy like 5 games in a row or Kevin's "F-you, give me the ball" finish against Xavier at home last year on national TV, and that is exactly what I want them to push for every night. Granted, that's runaway optimism and I don't have high expectations for this team, but they have the potential to give us some great games - and hopefully a decent amount of wins - this year.

Ruben and Conklin.

Ruben because it seems like he has so much potential to be a dynamic player (note: this is based solely on this board's discussion of Ruben). And Conklin because we haven't heard much about him.

I also am very interested to see Willie progress this year. While early on he may not add much, his athleticism brings something we haven't often seen at SLU.

Lisch and Liddell- this team's success is 100% dependent on the success of these two guys. I'm interested to see what they've done to improve in the offseason, how they'll respond to the challenge of having a young roster on their shoulders, how they'll respond to the leadership duties, what Majerus does with them from and X's and O's standpoint and if he just "lets them play", how hard they work in and out of games, how far they'll climb in the SLU record books, if they develop into potential NBA players (even if as long shots), how other teams develop game plans around them, and how much they get out of the surrounding cast.

These are two guys who have shown us they can take over games but not on a consistent basis. I would love it if they can just play balls to the wall and go into every game in "takeover" mode. I think of Tommie's stretch of games when he was a 20-and-10 guy like 5 games in a row or Kevin's "F-you, give me the ball" finish against Xavier at home last year on national TV, and that is exactly what I want them to push for every night. Granted, that's runaway optimism and I don't have high expectations for this team, but they have the potential to give us some great games - and hopefully a decent amount of wins - this year.

I agree completely, thought I can't say that I'm not really excited to see what the new guys bring to the table, as they all sound like COMPLETELY different players. Man, just thinking about Kevin's performance in the closing minutes of that X game just gets me fired up. I mean REAL fired up. I'm with tenthyearsenior, I want a Kevin Lisch fathead, too.

I agree completely, thought I can't say that I'm not really excited to see what the new guys bring to the table, as they all sound like COMPLETELY different players. Man, just thinking about Kevin's performance in the closing minutes of that X game just gets me fired up. I mean REAL fired up. I'm with tenthyearsenior, I want a Kevin Lisch fathead, too.

That could get a little weird when you are lusting after the Theresa Lisch fathead and Kevin stares you down.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been this excited about a freshman class here in a long time. I'm just most excited about seeing those two as seniors. My ideal situation for this team is that Kevin and Tommie, along with Paul and Barry, help Majerus teach his ways to all the new guys- practice it, learn it, live it, and so on- but when it comes time for the games, Majerus lets them off the leash. This way, the seeds for the future are planted while our stars can still shine.

If they're as good as I think they are and don't feel confined/confused/limited/frustrated by having to learn, teach, and play within his system at the same time and just play instead, we could have two first team all-conference players.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been this excited about a freshman class here in a long time. I'm just most excited about seeing those two as seniors. My ideal situation for this team is that Kevin and Tommie, along with Paul and Barry, help Majerus teach his ways to all the new guys- practice it, learn it, live it, and so on- but when it comes time for the games, Majerus lets them off the leash. This way, the seeds for the future are planted while our stars can still shine.

If they're as good as I think they are and don't feel confined/confused/limited/frustrated by having to learn, teach, and play within his system at the same time and just play instead, we could have two first team all-conference players.

OK, I'm confused. What do you mean by "when it comes time for the games, Majerus lets them off the leash." What's the point of having a system if three guys are running it and two are not? Particularly if they are the two who know the system the best?

OK, I'm confused. What do you mean by "when it comes time for the games, Majerus lets them off the leash." What's the point of having a system if three guys are running it and two are not? Particularly if they are the two who know the system the best?

We can debate this point but I thought Majerus gave Tommie and Kevin more free lance opportunities late last year. There is a fine line between running an offense and being allowed to create on your own. I expect Tommie and Kevin to create their own under Majerus's structure.

We've read countless articles and heard countless interviews now where Majerus says that returning to practice and being able to teach. We also saw last year that this emphasis on teaching comes with a learning curve on players who are new to his style and system. This year sees only four returning players to that system, and naturally some of the burden of making sure everyone gets it is going to fall on those veterans, particularly the seniors. Halfway through last year, Majerus admitted that he had bogged the guys down with too much information, too much new stuff, and it was causing them to overanalyze what they were doing on the floor. This was also taking a toll on Tommie and Kevin, who didn't show much (if any) development from the prior season. When he loosened things up, it showed with them.

What I'm saying is that Majerus is still going to be a coach who wants his guys seeing X's and O's whenever they're on the floor. He's still going to push his system, and he's still going to be constantly teaching. I'm not suggesting that we have two guys on the floor playing a different game than the other three; my suggestion was that Tommie and Kevin are the two guys with a free pass to create more, to just play without overanalyzing. I see no problem with saying "this is how we do things, but you two have a green light at all times offensively if you see something." That said, he should to some extent be designing plays suited for the strengths of those two.

I hope that makes more sense; I guess I could have been more clear the first time around.

We've read countless articles and heard countless interviews now where Majerus says that returning to practice and being able to teach. We also saw last year that this emphasis on teaching comes with a learning curve on players who are new to his style and system. This year sees only four returning players to that system, and naturally some of the burden of making sure everyone gets it is going to fall on those veterans, particularly the seniors. Halfway through last year, Majerus admitted that he had bogged the guys down with too much information, too much new stuff, and it was causing them to overanalyze what they were doing on the floor. This was also taking a toll on Tommie and Kevin, who didn't show much (if any) development from the prior season. When he loosened things up, it showed with them.

What I'm saying is that Majerus is still going to be a coach who wants his guys seeing X's and O's whenever they're on the floor. He's still going to push his system, and he's still going to be constantly teaching. I'm not suggesting that we have two guys on the floor playing a different game than the other three; my suggestion was that Tommie and Kevin are the two guys with a free pass to create more, to just play without overanalyzing. I see no problem with saying "this is how we do things, but you two have a green light at all times offensively if you see something." That said, he should to some extent be designing plays suited for the strengths of those two.

I hope that makes more sense; I guess I could have been more clear the first time around.

Thanks. I thought that might be what you meant - loosen the lease, not let them off it.

Thanks. I thought that might be what you meant - loosen the lease, not let them off it.

Heck, RM would even let Bryce Husak shoot the three if it meant more offense. However, this was a team that collapsed on him a couple of times and

I hope his new recruits are all as tough as KL

I am looking forward to Brian Conklin the most. I believe that between Mitchell and Cotto our PG play will be much improved, but Conklin could be the kind of kid we haven't had in a very long time. I talked to one guy I really trust on this kind of stuff who saw some tape of of Conkilin and asked him who he would compare him to coming in. He said Bonner. The next day I made Conklin my avatar. I have seen some short videos of Conklin and have liked what I saw. I have not seen enough of him to make that kind of call myself. If he comes close to Bonner.........He will be the most important recruit we have had in over a decade.

That could get a little weird when you are lusting after the Theresa Lisch fathead and Kevin stares you down.

bad news for you jimbo. word on the street is that teresa is engaged to be married to illinois guard, trent meacham. it's over for you.

bad news for you jimbo. word on the street is that teresa is engaged to be married to illinois guard, trent meacham. it's over for you.

"Interested" being the key word - I'd say Cotto. Sounds like Cotto can play PG and the 2 (versatile), that he may have deep range for the longer 3 point shot this year (haven't had a good shooter in years) plus he was a late or bonus addition created by the exodus of our 4 departing guysBE from last year.

Still think our 5 best players will be TL, KL, BE, KM and BC (our starters) - each of whom I am looking forward to watching.

I think Brett Thompson will start ahead of Brian Conklin. Just my guess.

after all of the hard work; i.e. losing weight, getting in shape that AK did last season and the play time he was awarded it would not surprise me to see

BT and Conklin both be starters by Jan 1.

BE may be a senior but unless he runs his ass off he is not going to just inherit a starting spot and lots of minutes. I would go with KL, TL, Conklin, and KM, RC, BT, and BE getting the remaining prime roles and the minutes split depending on the opponent. PE and RC may come off the bench when we need three point firepower or extra defensive movement but this gives us seven guys getting a lot of minutes. I would like to think that Willie Reed will

be a redshirt or second semester addition

I officially introduced myself in another thread, but I'll do it here too. :)

I'll be the local Brian Conklin fan, so am MOST interested in him. Through a "six degrees of separation" scenario, we're related. His grandfather married my mother in law several years ago.

I didn't get to any of his games, but through the news and family, was able to follow him through his high school days. He's a good kid.

I doubt that I'll get to see many games out here on the left coast, but I hope a few of them hit ESPN, like they did last year.

Glad to meet you all!!!

Bill

I officially introduced myself in another thread, but I'll do it here too. :)

I'll be the local Brian Conklin fan, so am MOST interested in him. Through a "six degrees of separation" scenario, we're related. His grandfather married my mother in law several years ago.

I didn't get to any of his games, but through the news and family, was able to follow him through his high school days. He's a good kid.

I doubt that I'll get to see many games out here on the left coast, but I hope a few of them hit ESPN, like they did last year.

Glad to meet you all!!!

Bill

Welcome to the board.