Tip Off Club Meeting

Westy03

Who are the recruits we are targeting? I have not heard many names mentioned and the names that have been mentioned have not really been strong SLU leans. It is important to follow what would seem to be a strong recruiting class by A-10 standards with another strong class. We will be losing Tommie and Kevin so there will some key spots and playing time to fill.

we have to replace stars, kevin and tommie, plus eberhardt and danny lisch plus we have one unused scholarship still out there. so we have at minimum 5 spots to fill (more if we have may cuts again next spring). one would think with 5 spots to fill we might at least have some names being thrown around here. we know pretty much nothing and that is a little scary imo. so it is good to hear some thing may be happening at least.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we have to replace stars, kevin and tommie, plus eberhardt and danny lisch plus we have one unused scholarship still out there. so we have at minimum 5 spots to fill (more if we have may cuts again next spring). one would think with 5 spots to fill we might at least have some names being thrown around here. we know pretty much nothing and that is a little scary imo. so it is good to hear some thing may be happening at least.

There are two players that I know of that have us rated pretty high, one being Read that Nate mentioned

Just wanted to add a few tidbits. Apparently the student ticket sales are going very well, I think they said they all but 70 tickets sold already which shocked the heck out of me. As for the 6,000+ seaspn tickets, that was just for the renewel so they still havent started marketing to new season ticket holders which is very good imo. As far as recruiting for 2009, one recruit is choosing between us and UConn according to Jensen which is a good sign- hopefully we can seal the deal. I think the kid is from Australia. Barry looks ready to go and they both seemed really pumped when they gave the number of student tickets left. Finally, I think Brian was right with the radio deal, they said there will be a shake up in radio in st. louis and we will find out soon.

BTW, there was an ad in the sports page the other day for Billiken season tickets. As we all know, SLU is back in school, so the excuses no longer apply; however, IMO the long-awaited avalanche of sports marketing and consumption of SLU's limited budget has begun with this newspaper ad. :blink:

Also, I never received notice about upgrading my Billiken membership for parking. My parents who have Red seats did receive their notice. Then again, I have green seats so I guess they are assuming that those of us in the green seats will not renew by membership or that they are treating us differently.

Warning: this post is not intended to be a complaint directed to the Athletic Department lest I be accused by fellow posters as being overly critcial. :lol:

We will definitely need both a 2 and 3, hopefully one of them will be an impact juco who can score, we also need another big, then with the last two schollies I would get the best available regardless of position - maybe one of these could be a transfer from a high profile program - (like H Waldman or Reggie Bryant from the past).

just curious....how many bclub members were at the mtg and is this a typical turnout numberwise?

any mention of rick appearing at a future mtg?

any mention of any events prior to the season?

thanks

Yeah sorry for not mentioning it but Majerus will be at the next meeting on Oct. 21st and it will be at Lorenzini's(sp?) not Humphreys. It was a typical turnout-the upper part of Humphreys was full but the bottom was empty.

Guest BillikenReport

We will definitely need both a 2 and 3, hopefully one of them will be an impact juco who can score, we also need another big, then with the last two schollies I would get the best available regardless of position - maybe one of these could be a transfer from a high profile program - (like H Waldman or Reggie Bryant from the past).

The most notable recruiting targets I know of a three PFs who could play SF and also a SG/SF.

SLU already has a couple players on the roster who will probably be in the mix at SG after the Lisch and Liddell era: Ruben Cotto, Femi John, Kyle Cassity and Paul Eckerle.

The most notable recruiting targets I know of a three PFs who could play SF and also a SG/SF.

SLU already has a couple players on the roster who will probably be in the mix at SG after the Lisch and Liddell era: Ruben Cotto, Femi John, Kyle Cassity and Paul Eckerle.

I really think we'll need another sharpshooter at the 2. Could Cotto play the 2 or is he undersized? Somebody will have big shoes to fill after KL. Next year's junior class will be very thin -just Eckerle, correct? I'd like to see a juco or two two step into that class.

I really think we'll need another sharpshooter at the 2. Could Cotto play the 2 or is he undersized? Somebody will have big shoes to fill after KL. Next year's junior class will be very thin -just Eckerle, correct? I'd like to see a juco or two two step into that class.

Did anyone ask about Willie's and Ruben's status?

Jensen said they were working on filling 4 schollies for this class - your math is not wrong but something else must be in the works. I would think he would know how many they plan to fill - maybe a transfer is on the horizon.

Jensen said they were working on filling 4 schollies for this class - your math is not wrong but something else must be in the works. I would think he would know how many they plan to fill - maybe a transfer is on the horizon.

no they likely dont want to publically admit they gave daniel a one year deal.

the official press release from slubillikens.com

Daniel Lisch Joins Billiken Basketball Squad

Guard is a 2008 Belleville West graduate

July 25, 2008

St. Louis - Saint Louis University head men's basketball coach Rick Majerus announced that 6-foot-2 guard Daniel Lisch (Belleville, Ill. / Belleville West) has joined the Billiken basketball squad. With the addition of Lisch, one scholarship is still available for this season.

"Basketball is a passion for Daniel, and he has a great love of the game," Majerus said. "What drew me to him was the stellar defensive job he did last season on (SLU signee) Ruben Cotto. Daniel is an extraordinary competitor, has worked diligently on his shooting and has made great progress on his ball handling.

"There is no question as to Daniel's character, on and off the court, and his commitment to being an outstanding student-athlete," Majerus said. "As we all know, NCAA scholarships are tendered on a year-by-year basis, and Daniel's competitiveness and commitment as well as his character should add to our team spirit as well as our goal of having extremely competitive practices this season."

As a senior, Lisch averaged 9.2 ppg and 3.0 rpg this past season for the Maroons and helped the team post 15 victories. He led the team in assists and ranked third in the Southwestern Conference in free throw percentage (76.8). Lisch also ranked in the top 10 in the conference in 3-point field goals made per game and steals per game.

Lisch has two siblings who also play basketball for the Billikens. Kevin Lisch is a senior guard for the men's team, and junior guard Theresa Lisch is a member of the SLU women's team

nate's post announcing daniel's presence - i guess nate could know it is a one year deal where daniel would not

Daniel Lisch Options Track this topic

BillikenReport

Junior

Group: Members

Member No.: 100,923

I heard the plan for Daniel Lisch is for him to redshirt this season and then he would likely transfer from SLU after one year, which would give him four years to play somewhere like Fontbonne.

So Lisch gets one year of tuition at SLU to be a practice player and will then transfer.

--------------------

BillikenReport.com

"As we all know, NCAA scholarships are tendered on a year-by-year basis, and Daniel's competitiveness and commitment as well as his character should add to our team spirit as well as our goal of having extremely competitive practices this season."

I don't know how much clearer Majerus could have been without completely patronizing the kid. We certainly didn't see that kind of quote with the press releases for Conklin, Mitchell, Thompson, etc.

so david what you are then saying i guess is that the coach at the billiken club meeting doesnt know how many scholarships they have to fill next year? unless daniel isnt being counted, there are five spots to fill.

so david what you are then saying i guess is that the coach at the billiken club meeting doesnt know how many scholarships they have to fill next year? unless daniel isnt being counted, there are five spots to fill.

Roy, I wasn't at the Billiken Club meeting so I can't comment on Jensen's remarks. I am also not privy to the coaches' recruiting plans. What I do know is that the Daniel Lisch press release couldn't have been much clearer in explaining that this is a one-year deal. I hope Daniel is so damn good that Majerus can't let him go, but I strongly suspect that the kid has been told this is a one-year deal unless something extraordinary happens.

Aren't you digging deep for something to gripe about? It was a 1 year deal. Daniel knows it. Is there a chance he earns the scholly for longer .... o course, he's a Lisch, don't count him out. Also who's to say we don't still have an extra one and it gets extended. No one can predict the future, but this was explained as a 1 year deal.

I'm sure the coach knows our scholly situation. Maybe he just misspoke or figured it wrong when the question was asked. I doubt he has final say.

Aren't you digging deep for something to gripe about? It was a 1 year deal. Daniel knows it. Is there a chance he earns the scholly for longer .... o course, he's a Lisch, don't count him out. Also who's to say we don't still have an extra one and it gets extended. No one can predict the future, but this was explained as a 1 year deal.

I'm sure the coach knows our scholly situation. Maybe he just misspoke or figured it wrong when the question was asked. I doubt he has final say.

There are tons of explanations: I wasn't there but maybe the question was how many are you trying to fill this fall? Maybe Jenson mis-remembered how many schollys we have to give. Maybe they really do want to only give 4, hold one back and allow Daniel to transfer to another school where he'll have 4 years of eligiblity to star. Who knows.

There are tons of explanations: I wasn't there but maybe the question was how many are you trying to fill this fall? Maybe Jenson mis-remembered how many schollys we have to give. Maybe they really do want to only give 4, hold one back and allow Daniel to transfer to another school where he'll have 4 years of eligiblity to star. Who knows.

Basically this how Jensen answered it. We have TL, BE and KL along with an open schollie so that is 4 for this fall. At no time did he mention Daniel Lisch. I guess he could have made a mistake no one is God but God. My interpretation is that they plan to fill 4 this fall and perhaps give one to a transfer in the hopper or I guess it is possible to hold one. I think this is much to do about nothing - Roy is right, with Daniel's there are technically 5 but as we know these things can change and lots of other stuff can happen during the year.

Guest BillikenReport

Basically this how Jensen answered it. We have TL, BE and KL along with an open schollie so that is 4 for this fall. At no time did he mention Daniel Lisch. I guess he could have made a mistake no one is God but God. My interpretation is that they plan to fill 4 this fall and perhaps give one to a transfer in the hopper or I guess it is possible to hold one. I think this is much to do about nothing - Roy is right, with Daniel's there are technically 5 but as we know these things can change and lots of other stuff can happen during the year.

You can also factor in the Eckerle scholarship as well. He will be on scholarship again this year, but I haven't heard that it has been extended beyond that.

My guess with Eckerle, as well as Daniel Lisch, is that if they can recruit someone with those scholarships, they will. But if those scholarships aren't used, those kids will continue to have them.