All-Star Game

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from the game. As someone said it was taped to be played on CCIN tomorrow at noon and possibly 10pm tomorrow night.

A few observations:

Mitchell is the real deal. He is incredibly quick with the ball and is a great penetrator. He did not get to do his thing much because he was either out of the game or others dominated the ball but he showed that he will be a major upgrade over DP. He obviously has a high basketball IQ. He also hustles after loose balls and plays pretty decent defense but he will need to get better. He reminded me of Fields, the guard from Pitt who killed us last year.

Femi John is an excellent all around strong guard. He has good court savy, rebounds tough and is a fairly good defender. He made some outstanding penetrating drives for scores including one special dunk. His real issue is that he wants to be a three point shooter and right now his stroke is not that good. He put ups some bricks and he is best when he penetrates and passes the ball efficiently. He may become a great shooter but right now he is very erratic.

Reed is a super athlete. He made one dunk on the run two handed catching the ball over the rim and slamming it home that was the best dunk of that kind that I have ever seen by a high school player. Looking live it seemed like he was three feet above the rim. He is still thin and needs to really hit the weights but he obviously has serious upside potential. He did not get much chance to do anything on offense because the lesser known local guards continued to gun the ball up at every opportunity and they never even looked inside. Even Suggs was a ball hog and gunner for most of the game. He is also extremely thin.

Overall, I was talking to Joe Wiley who did the telecast and we both agreed that the 3 Billiken recruits were very impressive and showed great potential for the future. You can watch the game on tv and make your own judgments. In terms of chaos, this was one of the worst all star games I ever witnessed.

Thompson did not play or show up and no one seemed to know why.

I again heard the rumour that Cotto had received a qualifying score but from a source that heard it from someone else so who knows if it is accurate.

As to the other players, a very big and strong young man named Faber, who is a DePaul recruit, was the player of the game in my opinion. He is a beast! Strong, big athletic with touch. He looks like he will be a great player.

The Missouri guard recruits looked good but they were running around like crazy.

Overall, not a great experience. The PA announcer was shouting and you could not understand what he was saying most of the time. The refs were absolutely terrible. Inconsistant and most of the time when Femi drove to the basket they just swallowed the whistle. It was nice to see the three players but if I had known it was going to be televised I would never have attended.

I just got back from the game. As someone said it was taped to be played on CCIN tomorrow at noon and possibly 10pm tomorrow night.

A few observations:

Mitchell is the real deal. He is incredibly quick with the ball and is a great penetrator. He did not get to do his thing much because he was either out of the game or others dominated the ball but he showed that he will be a major upgrade over DP. He obviously has a high basketball IQ. He also hustles after loose balls and plays pretty decent defense but he will need to get better. He reminded me of Fields, the guard from Pitt who killed us last year.

Femi John is an excellent all around strong guard. He has good court savy, rebounds tough and is a fairly good defender. He made some outstanding penetrating drives for scores including one special dunk. His real issue is that he wants to be a three point shooter and right now his stroke is not that good. He put ups some bricks and he is best when he penetrates and passes the ball efficiently. He may become a great shooter but right now he is very erratic.

Reed is a super athlete. He made one dunk on the run two handed catching the ball over the rim and slamming it home that was the best dunk of that kind that I have ever seen by a high school player. Looking live it seemed like he was three feet above the rim. He is still thin and needs to really hit the weights but he obviously has serious upside potential. He did not get much chance to do anything on offense because the lesser known local guards continued to gun the ball up at every opportunity and they never even looked inside. Even Suggs was a ball hog and gunner for most of the game. He is also extremely thin.

Overall, I was talking to Joe Wiley who did the telecast and we both agreed that the 3 Billiken recruits were very impressive and showed great potential for the future. You can watch the game on tv and make your own judgments. In terms of chaos, this was one of the worst all star games I ever witnessed.

I again heard the rumour that Cotto had received a qualifying score but from a source that heard it from someone else so who knows if it is accurate.

As to the other players, a very big and strong young man named Faber, who is a DePaul recruit, was the player of the game in my opinion. He is a beast! Strong, big athletic with touch. He looks like he will be a great player.

The Missouri guard recruits looked good but they were running around like crazy.

Overall, not a great experience. The PA announcer was shouting and you could not understand what he was saying most of the time. The refs were absolutely terrible. Inconsistant and most of the time when Femi drove to the basket they just swallowed the whistle. It was nice to see the three players but if I had known it was going to be televised I would never have attended.

Thanks for the recap Billikan. It's great to hear continuing positive things.

i would agree with billikan's assessment of the game. it was very chaotic and out of control. these all star games are never good guages but i was pleased with all the future billikens. i don't think willie reed will contribute much this year. he's quick and moves his feet well. he also has a good shot. in fact i saw him knock down 4 or 5 threes in a row during warmups and they all looked nice. but right now, he's just too skinny to be a force down low. it will take a while but he will be a player by the time he leaves.

femi is a good ballhandler, passer, and slasher. i even think he could be a point guard if need be. he is not a good perimeter shooter though.

kwamain can handle it well, is built well and seemed to have a decent shot. will be a step up from anything we've had at point in a while.

this class will be great but we need to bring in a shooter and a banger.

marcus denmon is great.

cornelius walker of vashon can really shoot it. he must have had 30 points.

Hall of Fame game in Illinois, according to Earl. You'll notice none of the Metro East players were anywhere to be found.

Heck, Nate had told us that Thompson would not play.

Denmon, Walker, the big guy on the National team #55, their wing #23, Femi Johnn, and Derron Hobbs were the best playes on the floor. Brian McGee also looked great in limited action, but he got the shortend on playing time. Walker showed what I've been seeing for years. Denmon was special, he had 10 of the first 13 points including two higflying slams and two deep three pointers. Laurence Bowers had a knee brace on, so he couldnt do his usual aerial stuff. The big man on the national team might have actually been the best player on the floor. He was big and powerful, but also agile enough to consistently play above the rim, dunking with guys riding on him and going up for lobs. I think he's going to Depaul and if he is, they got a steal. I met Thicks tonight as well. A good time was had by all. You guys really should've come out. Year after year, most posters miss this game with billiken recruits and I just cant understand why. I would think many would get tired of debating about players they've never seen. Mizzou has a heck of a recruiting class coming in.

i couldn't agree less about deron hobbs. the guy next to me and i were both saying we couldn't believe mo state was using a scholarship on him. if you thought he was a better guard than either mitchell, paul, or that casmere guy then you were watching a different game. hobbs was completely out of control and threw up airball after airball and brick after brick. he's not big enough to be effective even in the valley. i would say he and the lone white guy were the 2 worst players without question.

abel tillman is another guy i forgot to mention. if grades are not an issue with him, majerus should look at him. could be a good late sign. i think he's better than what i've seen of jesse perry. he's a real jackrabbit. i'm surpised you didn't mention him. maybe just forgot like me.

Denmon, Walker, the big guy on the National team #55, their wing #23, Femi Johnn, and Derron Hobbs were the best playes on the floor. Miguel Paul and Brian McGee also looked great in limited action, but they got the shortend on playing time. Walker showed what I've been seeing for years. Denmon was special, he had 10 of the first 13 points including two higflying slams and two deep three pointers. Laurence Bowers had a knee brace on, so he couldnt do his usual aerial stuff. The big man on the national team might have actually been the best player on the floor. He was big and powerful, but also agile enough to consistently play above the rim, dunking with guys riding on him and going up for lobs. I think he's going to Depaul and if he is, they got a steal. I met Thicks tonight as well. A good time was had by all. You guys really should've come out. Year after year, most posters miss this game with billiken recruits and I just cant understand why. I would think many would get tired of debating about players they've never seen. Mizzou has a heck of a recruiting class coming in.

A few observations:

Billikan...I don't know what you want when it comes to to players qualifying. You have asked about it with multiple players when it will be announced by the school they qualify. You been told that the school can't legally release that info, but you still are waiting to hear something official about Ruben.

Ruben has said he has qualified. His girlfriend has posted this. Redbirdfan (who has proven to be in the know about Ruben) has confirmed it. I don't know what else you need. I wouldn't expect the school to break privacy laws to soothe your fears. The kid has qualified.

Denmon, Walker, the big guy on the National team #55, their wing #23, Femi Johnn, and Derron Hobbs were the best playes on the floor. Miguel Paul and Brian McGee also looked great in limited action, but they got the shortend on playing time. Walker showed what I've been seeing for years. Denmon was special, he had 10 of the first 13 points including two higflying slams and two deep three pointers. Laurence Bowers had a knee brace on, so he couldnt do his usual aerial stuff. The big man on the national team might have actually been the best player on the floor. He was big and powerful, but also agile enough to consistently play above the rim, dunking with guys riding on him and going up for lobs. I think he's going to Depaul and if he is, they got a steal. I met Thicks tonight as well. A good time was had by all. You guys really should've come out. Year after year, most posters miss this game with billiken recruits and I just cant understand why. I would think many would get tired of debating about players they've never seen. Mizzou has a heck of a recruiting class coming in.

V-Time again you never fail to just DISCREDIT yourself on this board. You call yourself a judge in talent and you are talking to college coaches for these guys but time and time again you come on here with dumb statements. If you were at this game like I was you would have noticed that Hobbs had the worst performance of the night. He had over 8-10 turnovers and made bad decision after bad decision. People miss this game because they don't want to support the Johnson guy and to each is own but persanally he has never done anything to me or my family and I have hear more good in the St. Louis community than bad that he has done. Because he stands behind his friend Felony Floyd we judge him also. He stands up for what he believes in and he has the right as we do. To each is own. But back to V-time it is time for you stop with this nonsense because it is obvious that you have no idea. Take a look at Nate or Earl or even the Ramey guy who I met tonight, they don't parade around town with a red shirt on telling people to look at me or find me to say hello as their work speaks for themselves and it is obvious that your doesn't. To an end HOBBS made a fool of himself tonight and to all the people on this board remember that the GURU V-time said Hobbs was one of the top performers and players in todays game when you watch this game on Charter. Please respond and let us know if you agree with the # 1 talent evaluater in St. Louis.

Billikens players:

Reed- Needs to get stronger and didn't look like he wanted the ball in the post.

Mitchell is a good point guard that jump shots didn't come close tonight, but he is crafty at getting to the bucket.

Femi- Strong kid that needs to get a better IQ and shot selection. He needs to be slasher as he doesn't shoot to well.

Top Players tonight were the big Faber kid that is heading to Depaul (which is a Big East School V-Time not quite a steal like you think)

Denmon who shoots the ball real well.

Walker who might be the most underrated player in the state of MO as people don't talk enough about this talented kid. He is just as good as Femi, Suggs, and Torres. This is the 2 time I have seen (MLK event at UMSL where he had like 30 on ESL)

and I liked Tillman and the Chatt kid.

I actually meant Paul and not Hobbs. I was thinking of #0 on the national team, but I typed in Hobbs who was #0 on the local team. My mistake. Paul played great D and showed that he was a true pg. I wish he would've gotten more time.

The starting lineup for the local team was WR, Tillman, Suggs, FJ, and Hobbs. Again, my mistake. Although Hobbs didnt play that bad. Both teams tried a lot of long passes that went awry. Hobbs played fine. They let a lot of stuff go that would've been fouls in a real game so with Hobbs consistently attacking the bucket and getting hit, its going to look bad if they dont call anything. I was happy for Cornbread Walker though, as he finally got to show those outside the PHL what he can do.

Billikens players:

Reed- Needs to get stronger and didn't look like he wanted the ball in the post.

Mitchell is a good point guard that jump shots didn't come close tonight, but he is crafty at getting to the bucket.

Femi- Strong kid that needs to get a better IQ and shot selection. He needs to be slasher as he doesn't shoot to well.

Top Players tonight were the big Faber kid that is heading to Depaul (which is a Big East School V-Time not quite a steal like you think)

Denmon who shoots the ball real well.

Walker who might be the most underrated player in the state of MO as people don't talk enough about this talented kid. He is just as good as Femi, Suggs, and Torres. This is the 2 time I have seen (MLK event at UMSL where he had like 30 on ESL)

and I liked Tillman and the Chatt kid.

I don't think any of those kids are on Suggs level. Not even really close. I like Tilman.

Depaul really isnt a factor in the Big East. Some people probably still think they're in Confereuce USA. I actually think they had better talent when they were in Conference USA with Steven Hunter, Quentin Richardson, Paul McPherson, Andre Brown, Lance Simmons, Burno etc. As of late the only two Depaul players I can remember are Chandler and Mejia

The coverage the PD gave this game is a disgrace. It was nothing but a Rah-Rah Mizzou article. If it wasn't for this sight you would have no idea what went on.

Of course the rest of the sports page is a huge joke. I was recently in the Tampa area and both the Tampa Tribune and St Petersburg Times blow the PD away and they cost less then half as much for a daily edition.

Just read the Post Dispatch article about Mizzou's 5 players. Oh, and by the way the opponet had some recruites from SLU.

Great coverage of the LOCAL teams players. Great boost to recruiting. HA!

When will SLU get better coverage???

Just read the Post Dispatch article about Mizzou's 5 players. Oh, and by the way the opponet had some recruites from SLU.

Great coverage of the LOCAL teams players. Great boost to recruiting. HA!

When will SLU get better coverage???

Speaking of Mizzou, they lost another player yesterday but no thread here on .com. The article yesterday was similar: the East coast kid with personal/family issues decided to leave - no blame for Mizzou. Most importanly, no blame for Mizzou and Anderson for recruiting yet another kid of highly questionable character. Where's the criticism and reporting about a program in trouble. Oh I forget, Mizzou gets a pass because of the large number of Mizzou readership and the former alumni/sympathizers at the paper (sports page).

i couldn't agree less about deron hobbs. the guy next to me and i were both saying we couldn't believe mo state was using a scholarship on him. if you thought he was a better guard than either mitchell, paul, or that casmere guy then you were watching a different game. hobbs was completely out of control and threw up airball after airball and brick after brick. he's not big enough to be effective even in the valley. i would say he and the lone white guy were the 2 worst players without question.

abel tillman is another guy i forgot to mention. if grades are not an issue with him, majerus should look at him. could be a good late sign. i think he's better than what i've seen of jesse perry. he's a real jackrabbit. i'm surpised you didn't mention him. maybe just forgot like me.

Tillman committed to SEMO, but he's headed to JUCO. It's not fair to compare him with Jesse Perry because JP will play on the wing. Don't worry about Hobbs. Both MO State coaches offered him a scholarship, and they were smart to do so. I'm happy that you were able to see him in limited action, but I've seen him for four years. I definitely feel he's capable of playing in the Valley. Everyone was out of control in the beginning. As usual, the first play of the game was a turnover. Most of the local players seemed very nervous while the national stars entered the game with confidence after being flown in from out of state. Just look at Ryan Willen who is headed to Lafayette. He's a sharpshooter, but he just couldn't get those shots to fall last night. Several people sitting in my section felt that Scott Suggs was overrated after seeing his performance. I disagreed. I knew he would play that basic basketball that doesn't fair well in all-star games, but he should be successful under Romar.

Speaking of Mizzou, they lost another player yesterday but no thread here on .com. The article yesterday was similar: the East coast kid with personal/family issues decided to leave - no blame for Mizzou. Most importanly, no blame for Mizzou and Anderson for recruiting yet another kid of highly questionable character. Where's the criticism and reporting about a program in trouble. Oh I forget, Mizzou gets a pass because of the large number of Mizzou readership and the former alumni/sympathizers at the paper (sports page).

Keon Lawrence had personal issues that affected him very early in the season and it was rumored that he was going to have to leave all year. The news sort of died down in offseason when he didnt immediately transfer. I think it was a death in the family. Zaire Taylor, a teammate at Mizzou is a very close friend of him and in fact Lawrence is the best man for his wedding. He didnt want to leave, but he had to leave for personal reasons. You are way off on stating that he has a highly questionable character. I credit him for sticking it out as long as he did. This was discussed at length on tigerboard all season. The personal issue is real.

Keon Lawrence had personal issues that affected him very early in the season and it was rumored that he was going to have to leave all year. The news sort of died down in offseason when he didnt immediately transfer. I think it was a death in the family. Zaire Taylor, a teammate at Mizzou is a very close friend of him and in fact Lawrence is the best man for his wedding. He didnt want to leave, but he had to leave for personal reasons. You are way off on stating that he has a highly questionable character. I credit him for sticking it out as long as he did. This was discussed at length on tigerboard all season. The personal issue is real.

Speaking of losing players, did Lyons or Carroll stay in the draft? Get Drafted?

Guest BillikenReport

A couple of quick comments before I write up some stories for my site.

I've liked Cornelius Walker for a couple years, but I've never seen him step up and taken over a game at Vashon like I knew he was capable of. He can shoot it, but that doesn't do him much good if he's not aggressive enough to demand the ball and take shots. If my stats are correct, he took 26 shots last night and made 11. He made five of nine 3-point attempts in the fourth quarter. He made some shots, and missed a lot as well.

I like Derron Hobbs' potential, but he had a rough game. He made two of 12 shots and got swatted going to the hoop several times. If most of those were fouls, it's only because the refs felt bad for him. He made a lot of bad decisions last night. He was way overmatched, as was most of the local team.

The local team had six D-1 signees. The national team had 13.

Some of the Mizzou recruits were impressive. Some were not. I've seen Steve Moore play three times now, including twice in the state final four, and I can't see him contributing at Missouri anytime soon. He's too big and slow. Marcus Denmon and Miguel Paul should have shared the MVP award, because each played really well in one half of the game. Paul took over late and led the national team to victory.

The kid going to DePaul, Krys Faber, will have a nice career there. I'm surprised UCLA and USC let him get out of California.

Each of the three SLU signees showed flashes. Kwamain Mitchell didn't shoot or score much, but he showed he can lead a team and get to the basket when he needs to. Femi John showed off his strong all-around game and his lack of a 3-point shot. He'll be really tough once he develops a consistent shot from out there. Willie showed what he can do. He's not a throw-it-in-the-post-and-let-him-work big man. His best play of the game came off someone else creating for him, and I think he'll thrive with Kwamain dishing him the ball with the Billikens. He has a decent-looking outside shot, but he only took two shots in the game. He's also still under 200 pounds, so it will be interesting to see what his weight is by the time the season starts.

I'll have two premium stories (one on SLU kids and one game recap) up on my site sometime this afternoon.

- Nate

Here is a summary of the game that Brett played.....

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2008/06...ee229592598.txt

I couldn't get this to open but here is the article by Randy Reinhardt of Pantagraph.com

IBCA boys' strong trio help Class 1A-2A North power past South

By Randy Reinhardt

[email protected]

Advertisement

BLOOMINGTON -- When Aaron Garriott, Jeremy Pflederer and Cliff Fleming found themselves on the Shirk Center floor at the same time on Saturday, they knew what to do. Run. | Photo Gallery

The fleet trio of guards touched off a second-half spurt that lifted the Class 1A-2A North to a 107-94 victory over the South in the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association All-Star Games.

“We locked down on defense and cherry picked a little bit,” said Garriott, a Central Catholic High School product headed to Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. “We had the advantage on the quick side so we tried to run as fast as we could. I loved playing with those guys. It was a good experience.”

The North, which now trails 20-13 in the all-time series of the small-school game, led 49-46 at halftime.

Garriott ignited the North’s decisive run with a transition lay-up off a Pflederer assist. Pflederer then nailed a 3-pointer, and Fleming converted another fast-break into a lay-up courtesy of a Garriott pass for a 67-56 margin.

“We really got it going the second half. We had good energy. We played well together,” said Tremont’s Pflederer. “It was good in an all-star game to play with guys who wanted to win. Sometimes guys have a tendency to be selfish.”

Illinois Wesleyan recruit Jordan Zimmer of Delavan added a 3-pointer to extend the North advantage to 74-60. Zimmer finished with eight points.

St. Anne’s Fleming led all scorers with 24 points and was selected North Most Valuable Player.

“At halftime the coaches told us to extend the lead and we did that,” said Fleming, who will attend State Fair Community College in Sedalia, Mo. “I didn’t take too many threes. I noticed I could get to the basket so I started going to the basket.”

Matt Buren of Macomb added 15 points and West Carroll’s Chris Anderson 12 for the North. Pflederer, who won his team’s Leadership Award, had 10 points and Garriott seven.

West Frankfort’s Isiah Simelton topped the South with 14 points, Kyle Cassity of Pinckneyville and Wesclin’s Sean Rakers chipped in 10 each.

The South Most Valuable Player award went to Marland Johnson of Meridian, who scored seven points and was a rebounding force. Brett Thompson of Vienna was presented the Leadership Award for the South.

The North converted 14 of its 18 free throws for 78 percent, while the South connected on only half of its 24 tries.

IBCA all-star games

AT BLOOMINGTON (Shirk Center)

1A-2A North.....49.....58 — 107

1A-2A South.....46.....48 -- 94

NORTH - Hatfill (Lewistown) 1-0-2, Piccinelli (Henry) 1-2-4, Pflederer (Tremont) 4-0-10, Gillen (Monmouth-Roseville) 0-0-0, Fleming (St. Anne) 11-1-24, Kamp (Chicago Christian) 0-0-0, Zimmer (Delavan) 3-0-8, Garriott (Central Catholic) 3-0-7, Edwards (Illini Bluffs) 3-0-6, Hoffman (Winnebago) 1-4-6, Anderson (West Carroll) 5-2-12, Witt (Lanark Eastland) 2-1-5, Buren (Macomb) 6-0-15, Benson (Westminster Christian) 1-4-6, McCorkle (Bismarck-Henning) 1-0-2. Totals - 42-14-107.

SOUTH - Smithpeters (Harrisburg) 3-0-8, Kindred (Chrisman) 1-0-3, Kunkel (Red Bud) 3-0-7, Dardeen (Mount Carmel) 1-0-2, Bond (Assumption) 0-2-2, Heckert (Okawville) 1-1-3, Boyd (Warrensburg-Latham) 3-1-8, Bonds (Griggsville-Perry) 1-0-2, Cassity (Pinckneyville) 4-1-10, Simelton (West Frankfort) 7-0-14, Pelczynski (Nashville) 2-0-6, Rakers (Wesclin) 5-0-10, Johnson (Meridian) 3-1-7, Palm (Carlyle) 1-5-7, Thompson (Vienna) 2-1-5. Totals - 37-12-94.

3-point field goals: North (9) - Buren 3, Pflederer 2, Zimmer 2, Garriott, Fleming; South (8) - Smithpeters 2, Pelczynski 2, Cassity, Boyd, Kunkel, Kindred.

how was he highly quetionable? He didnt do anyhting wrong he just went back to be closer to his family. Will MIZZOU have any returniing guards?