Harrelson & ?

I think we have a great shot. From what I have heard, UK is pressuring him for a quick answer. Here is an article I came across.

April 27, 2008

Jeff Drummond

CatsPause.com Publisher

Josh Harrellson has completed his official visit to Saint Louis University and says he now has "the toughest decision of my life" awaiting him.

The 6-foot-9 center/forward from Southwestern Illinois College has narrowed his choice to Kentucky and SLU with a decision likely looming in the week ahead.

"It went really well," Harrellson said of his official visit with the Billikens. "I had a great time with all the players and coach (Rick) Majerus, just like I did at Kentucky. It was interesting to see the differences in the two schools. There's nothing bad for either one. They're just different.

"It's even between them now. Both coaches are great, so I feel good about that, either way. Distance is a factor. Size and exposure is a factor. I like the smaller campus and class sizes at Saint Louis. I like the size of the program and the great exposure at Kentucky. I mean, who wouldn't want to play for Kentucky? But I'm looking at everything, basketball and school. They kind of contradict each other."

Harrellson, who originally signed with Western Illinois before going to SIC, averaged 15 points and eight rebounds as a freshman to establish himself as a major recruiting target. Programs such as Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Ohio State and Purdue also were involved in his recruitment before he trimmed his list to the Wildcats and Billikens.

Kentucky assistant coach Jeremy Cox called Harrellson on Sunday afternoon to gauge where he was in the decision-making process.

"He said he was wondering how it went and told me how much they wanted me down there," Harrellson said. "He said he was really looking forward to coaching me, and that I could make a big difference for their team. I told him it's the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but I should know sometime soon."

Asked if UK has been patient late in the process – the spring signing period opened almost two weeks ago and many players have been taken off the board – Harrellson said: "Yeah, they have. But at the same time, coach (Billy) Gillispie said he wants to know soon, especially in the case that I don't want to come so he doesn't get left high and dry. I told him I'd try to do that."

Harrellson says he plans to make his decision "toward the end of the week or early on the

I think we have a great shot. From what I have heard, UK is pressuring him for a quick answer. Here is an article I came across.

April 27, 2008

Jeff Drummond

CatsPause.com Publisher

Josh Harrellson has completed his official visit to Saint Louis University and says he now has "the toughest decision of my life" awaiting him.

The 6-foot-9 center/forward from Southwestern Illinois College has narrowed his choice to Kentucky and SLU with a decision likely looming in the week ahead.

"It went really well," Harrellson said of his official visit with the Billikens. "I had a great time with all the players and coach (Rick) Majerus, just like I did at Kentucky. It was interesting to see the differences in the two schools. There's nothing bad for either one. They're just different.

"It's even between them now. Both coaches are great, so I feel good about that, either way. Distance is a factor. Size and exposure is a factor. I like the smaller campus and class sizes at Saint Louis. I like the size of the program and the great exposure at Kentucky. I mean, who wouldn't want to play for Kentucky? But I'm looking at everything, basketball and school. They kind of contradict each other."

Harrellson, who originally signed with Western Illinois before going to SIC, averaged 15 points and eight rebounds as a freshman to establish himself as a major recruiting target. Programs such as Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Ohio State and Purdue also were involved in his recruitment before he trimmed his list to the Wildcats and Billikens.

Kentucky assistant coach Jeremy Cox called Harrellson on Sunday afternoon to gauge where he was in the decision-making process.

"He said he was wondering how it went and told me how much they wanted me down there," Harrellson said. "He said he was really looking forward to coaching me, and that I could make a big difference for their team. I told him it's the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but I should know sometime soon."

Asked if UK has been patient late in the process – the spring signing period opened almost two weeks ago and many players have been taken off the board – Harrellson said: "Yeah, they have. But at the same time, coach (Billy) Gillispie said he wants to know soon, especially in the case that I don't want to come so he doesn't get left high and dry. I told him I'd try to do that."

Harrellson says he plans to make his decision "toward the end of the week or early on the

Josh would really complement that lineup. It will also give the 09-10 team a bit of an anchor.

The bills are perfect for you JOSH

Those on the UK boards are not feeling as good about their chances. Most there are just calling him a stop gap if he goes to UK.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid...888&style=2

That thread is very similar to what you'll find on most message boards. Some intelligent posters, some idiots but everybody doing nothing more than speculating with no real inside info.

The only person that really knows is JH and even he seems confused about the decision.

Me, I believe its a coin-flip at this point and since so many of these coin-flips have gone against us in the past I tend to believe its time for things to even out a little...

Those on the UK boards are not feeling as good about their chances. Most there are just calling him a stop gap if he goes to UK.

Here's a thread that says he'll make a decision on Tuesday, but then later says he'll make it later in the week. Who knows.

That thread is very similar to what you'll find on most message boards. Some intelligent posters, some idiots but everybody doing nothing more than speculating with no real inside info.

The only person that really knows is JH and even he seems confused about the decision.

Me, I believe its a coin-flip at this point and since so many of these coin-flips have gone against us in the past I tend to believe its time for things to even out a little...

Agreed, it's a coin flip. I give a slight lean to UK for 2 reasons: (1) I'm always kind of negative and (2) Kids tend to pick the sport over the school. I hope he sees the basketball aspects that are greater at SLU than UK (yes, there are some).

However, how many prospects do you ever hear mention "class size" as a factor for choosing a school? That right there makes me feel better about this guy. Class size was important to me too when I decided what school to attend. I didn't realize that I'd be sleeping through most of my classes and in a class room of 6 students that is really obvious. Oh well I made it, I was never headed to Princeton to be a Poli. Sci professor anyway.

If feesl so much better to be battling UK for recruits instead of Austin Peay. What a difference a year can make it sports from where he was to where he is now. It goes in reverse too look at Brian Brohm QB from UofL or the Oregon QB who got hurt and was hoping to be drafted.

However, how many prospects do you ever hear mention "class size" as a factor for choosing a school? That right there makes me feel better about this guy. Class size was important to me too when I decided what school to attend. I didn't realize that I'd be sleeping through most of my classes and in a class room of 6 students that is really obvious. Oh well I made it, I was never headed to Princeton to be a Poli. Sci professor anyway.

If feesl so much better to be battling UK for recruits instead of Austin Peay. What a difference a year can make it sports from where he was to where he is now. It goes in reverse too look at Brian Brohm QB from UofL or the Oregon QB who got hurt and was hoping to be drafted.

The maiin difference is we have started winning some of the battles

I hope that is a real concern and not just lip service. I agree that you don't hear it often.

I think SLU has plenty of advantages over UK both academically and athletically; I hope JH comes and enjoys them.

I hope that is a real concern and not just lip service. I agree that you don't hear it often.

I think SLU has plenty of advantages over UK both academically and athletically; I hope JH comes and enjoys them.

Face it, going up against UK or any bigtime BCS'er is a toughie. However, the A-10 seems to be getting kids to come their way. To my way of thinking, SLU is a better choice for JH, but it's not the glamorous one.

The one thing that bugs me about basketball recruiting - even moreso than football or other sports - is that everyone seems to believe they can make it to the NBA. 'Normal' university factors are not only downplayed but seem irrelevant. Sometimes, kids need to keep that as a goal but look at more realistic alternatives - getting a good university education is one such alternative.

I'll step down off my soap box now - and also mention this comment is not directly made to JH and SLU v Kentucky, and I appreciate the fact he is looking at basketball and education options.

The maiin difference is we have started winning some of the battles

You are kidding right? How many national championships does SLU have? Hey atleast you can feel good about getting in on the final two. Its not like he is gonna be very good anyway he did agree to play at W Illinois for goodness sake. You have started to win some battles huh name them? :P

You are kidding right? How many national championships does SLU have? Hey atleast you can feel good about getting in on the final two. Its not like he is gonna be very good anyway he did agree to play at W Illinois for goodness sake. You have started to win some battles huh name them? :P

clown :)

You are kidding right? How many national championships does SLU have? Hey atleast you can feel good about getting in on the final two. Its not like he is gonna be very good anyway he did agree to play at W Illinois for goodness sake. You have started to win some battles huh name them? :rolleyes:

Actually SLU has one - when Easy Ed and the crew won the NIT that was considered the National Championship then. The NCAA had started the tourney but it was considered lower tier to the NIT at that time.

You are kidding right? How many national championships does SLU have? Hey atleast you can feel good about getting in on the final two. Its not like he is gonna be very good anyway he did agree to play at W Illinois for goodness sake. You have started to win some battles huh name them? :rolleyes:

Willie Reed had offers from several big 12 teams. Brett Thompson had 6 other bcs offers. Ruben was recruited by some other big schools. Cassitty has Michigan and Penn State. A lot of different recruits

nh, let him go. mtripp has taken the whole thompson snubbing siu very personal. it will be four years of him reminding us that siu didnt think thompson was good enough (sure he wasnt. that is why you love to tell us about it). meanwhile brett thompson turns into an nba player in our palace arena and siu is still stuck in their barn and mtripp is wondering how that happened. i actually feel a little sorry for mtripp.

nh, let him go. mtripp has taken the whole thompson snubbing siu very personal. it will be four years of him reminding us that siu didnt think thompson was good enough (sure he wasnt. that is why you love to tell us about it). meanwhile brett thompson turns into an nba player in our palace arena and siu is still stuck in their barn and mtripp is wondering how that happened. i actually feel a little sorry for mtripp.

I just think it's so funny that you guys think he is even going to play muchless a NBA player. I live 15 minutes from brett I know him personally my nephew competed against him for three years. I watched him 12-15 times and every time he got dominated by six foot centers at the high school level. How almighty Roy will he compete at the A-10 level? And by the way believe it or not but SIU pulled his offer when CLO saw that he couldn't compete at blind school for girls much less the mvc.

I just think it's so funny that you guys think he is even going to play muchless a NBA player. I live 15 minutes from brett I know him personally my nephew competed against him for three years. I watched him 12-15 times and every time he got dominated by six foot centers at the high school level. How almighty Roy will he compete at the A-10 level?

You act has worn old even with the SIU fans on Saluki Talk. They don't want you there, what makes you think we want you here?

I just think it's so funny that you guys think he is even going to play muchless a NBA player. I live 15 minutes from brett I know him personally my nephew competed against him for three years. I watched him 12-15 times and every time he got dominated by six foot centers at the high school level. How almighty Roy will he compete at the A-10 level? And by the way believe it or not but SIU pulled his offer when CLO saw that he couldn't compete at blind school for girls much less the mvc.

No way did he get dominated. He may not have dominated himself but he still was not dominated. A hall of fame coach can make a big difference.