Thorpe contract not renewed??

I don't understand what is happening. With the player dump we have only 4 players coming back. That may mean we could have a team next year with 9 freshman. Who do we sign the following year behind 9 southmrs and the following year behind 9 jrs? I can't see how this can work. No balance. Maybe we are going for jucos and transfers. Hansboroughs brother @ Mississippi State is transferring. He mentioned only Mizzou, but has not committed. He is good. Remember this was Memphis States closes game until the final.

Gillispie is not going to OKstate. I wonder if OKstate will chose Travis Ford?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. A bottom feeder of the first-order? RM isn't kicking puppies. Get real.

Roy, you think AT was responsible for a majority of the incoming class? or last year's class?

thorpe was kept around because he had the lead for eberhardt, thompson, john and reed. he was also the calming force of the existing players for the team. if he was told it was a definite one year deal, fine. i guess he knew he had it coming. still seems like a raw deal.

I don't understand what is happening. With the player dump we have only 4 players coming back. That may mean we could have a team next year with 9 freshman. Who do we sign the following year behind 9 southmrs and the following year behind 9 jrs? I can't see how this can work. No balance. Maybe we are going for jucos and transfers. Hansboroughs brother @ Mississippi State is transferring. He mentioned only Mizzou, but has not committed. He is good. Remember this was Memphis States closes game until the final.

Gillispie is not going to OKstate. I wonder if OKstate will chose Travis Ford?

huzzah my guess is rickma expects to cream the freshmen class again. keep a couple favorites and tell the rest to hit the road next year as well.

thorpe was kept around because he had the lead for eberhardt, thompson, john and reed. he was also the calming force of the existing players for the team. if he was told it was a definite one year deal, fine. i guess he knew he had it coming. still seems like a raw deal.

fair enough on AT and the recruits, I was just clarifying what you meant and trying to understand AT's value.

huzzah my guess is rickma expects to cream the freshmen class again. keep a couple favorites and tell the rest to hit the road next year as well.

Geez. I'd say let's wait and see. I'd like to think there will be some difference between RM's recruits and Sodie's; therefore, RM won't have a need to flip the roster each season.

Huzzah, i imagine there will be redshirts, jucos, a player or two might leave.

I love how a certain segment of this board just jumps off the deep end re: RM.

That is an obnoxious "guess". The players coming in are leaps and bounds better than the guys Brad brought in during the two previous years so predicting that RM will run off 5 of them (7 - a couple = 5) is not based on any realistic expectation but rather some pent up anger against the man.

There may very well be some natural turnover as one or two of them either don't like RM, don't think they'll ever get playing time, don't hack it academically, etc. but I'll take the bet that most of them will be back in 09, 10 and 11.

We are promoting Alex Jensen and Peyton wil be the new Grad Asst.

Peyton Jacks, the walk on? Booyah for Peyton if so.

How can he be a Grad. Asst. if he was only a junior this year?

I would take what is on Bernie's Message Board with a 'grain of salt'. <_<

I think it is fair to say that a couple of the incoming kids will be redshirted - Reed for sure - Nate has already talked about that. I would think that 3 schollies would be enough to had out next year - TL, KL, and BE. I would also think that PE is not going to stay on schollie for all 4 years. He may be back next year but after that, he will have trouble keeping up with his studies and playing BB. Besides, he has already been recruited over and that will only get worse. So that will give you his schollie plus any Juco that we pick up now. Rick is going for a strong team in two years and beyond with his heavy ladened freshmen incoming class. One or two may leave for lots of reasons - injury, playing time, whatever but that is normal. BS lost one or two players every year he was here basically.

Your roymors are getting ridiculous. You used to say that one of the reasons you defended Sodie against criticism was because you thought such "negative" comments could hurt the program. Now, with this coach you are spreading all kinds of negative sh!t. And what you are saying appears to be completely unsubstantiated.

Your roymors are getting ridiculous. You used to say that one of the reasons you defended Sodie against criticism was because you thought such "negative" comments could hurt the program. Now, with this coach you are spreading all kinds of negative sh!t. And what you are saying appears to be completely unsubstantiated.

i said "my guess". i.e. my opinion. nothing said about a fact or knowledge. you need to read closer acie.

i apologize for reacting negatively about the fact that our coach just cut four student athletes from the team and from their educational opportunity they were promised by saint louis university.

Guest BillikenReport

Last time I checked, Angres Thorpe is still an assistant coach at SLU.

Things can change, obviously, but there have already been several rumors about this when the guy is still a coach at SLU and still trying to help recruit kids to the school.

- Nate

i said "my guess". i.e. my opinion. nothing said about a fact or knowledge. you need to read closer acie.

i apologize for reacting negatively about the fact that our coach just cut four student athletes from the team and from their educational opportunity they were promised by saint louis university.

What exactly were they promised Roy? What exactly was said to them before they signed with SLU? The only thing you know for sure is what is on the LOI and that clearly states that it is a one year deal.

All of your "guesses" with the current coach are presented in the most negative light, while you have always bent over backwards and continue to present our FIRED coach in the most positive light. Strange. Your past justifications in defending Sodie on the basis that you didn't want the criticism to hurt the program, now rings hollow. As long as we're guessing, I think there is a good chance DM and AK would be moving on even if Sodie were still the coach, considering they never played when he was their coach.

All of your "guesses" with the current coach are presented in the most negative light, while you have always bent over backwards and continue to present our FIRED coach in the most positive light. Strange. Your past justifications in defending Sodie on the basis that you didn't want the criticism to hurt the program, now rings hollow. As long as we're guessing, I think there is a good chance DM and AK would be moving on even if Sodie were still the coach, considering they never played when he was their coach.

Nobody ever left school during the Brad years.

Signed,

Darren Clarke, Ian Mooney, Jason Edwin, Obi Ikeakor, John Seyfort and Horace Dixon

In all fairness - Pulley and Seyfort left on BS's watch but they never really played for him as a head coach. I may have inflated the number a little - it looks like he lost about 1 player a year as an average.

Add Edwin to that group as well- another one who left in the summer between Romar and Sodie. Kern and Hollins probably wouldn't be included because they never came in the first place.

Floyd McClain was another one, but he did summer workouts, came to school in the fall, stayed in the program, then left. A combination of frustrations from his injuries and not wanting to be part of the program did him in. He and Soderberg butted heads right away and it was obvious Floyd wasn't going to stay long. If you take Pulley and Seyfert out, you'd have to put Floyd in.

Also, Kevin Shortal left the team before finishing his eligibility. That really broke the program's back.

Hopefully this is just a rumor. I have reasons to beleive it is...AT is a great guy and a great recruiter..He goes the extra mile and truely cares about his recruits. He is a genuine person and all around nice guy. I would hate to see him leave.

AT has been gone since the day Majerus took the job. Talk about being on the outside looking in, the guy got screwed all season. He was a dead man walking and knew it. He was kept around to keep one particular player from leaving, it worked. It sucks, he's a great guy and didn't deserve the crap he had to put up with last season.

AT has been gone since the day Majerus took the job. Talk about being on the outside looking in, the guy got screwed all season. He was a dead man walking and knew it. He was kept around to keep one particular player from leaving, it worked. It sucks, he's a great guy and didn't deserve the crap he had to put up with last season.

Thank goodness the source of Billiken basketball information has chimed in and set us straight.

B-Law when are you going to go away? you make up facts. how was AT "screwed all season". Are you in the know with the Bills program? Seemed to me that he was treated just like the other assistants. Was he answering questions after games as often as PM or PB? No, but he's the third assistant.

I also don't think he was kept on staff so one person would not leave? Please let us know who it was that was going to leave if AT hadn't stayed. I'm sure he was kept around to smooth the transition. Isn't that better than the alternative - being let go with the rest of the staff?

You hate Majerus and your own Marquette fans even called you out for it. I found it amusing to read over on the Marquette board how most posters seemed to be on Majerus's side with what has gone on recently. The only one who wasn't was a guy named Mojo. Hmmm. That's you. For those interested in reading the responses to our very own B-Law's bashing of Majerus, read the link below. His own people call him out for being slanted against RM. In fact, I find one guy's post great. He asks B-Law for some evidence that SI really had to search to find people who liked him. Of course, he did not respond. Truth is, he hates RM because he fears what SLU will become. I noticed, by the way, marquette's top recruit is renigging now - looks like the plan to keep Buzz around isn't working out alll that well.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415#s=415&a...0&t=2347493

"no, he ran them (and had been recruiting with the idea of running at least a couple of them as far back as November), much like he ran players at Utah. Less than 30% of his recruits at Utah actually played for him for 4 years and SI had to really search to find guys who actually enjoyed playing for him. To me, this is disgraceful. I doubt there was a "good luck" after the "good-bye." 2 of those guys signed just before Fat Ricky took the job, and he could have told them then he had no interest in keep them. 1, Relphorde, was recruited by some high major programs.

BTW, for all of the "he's one of us" crowd, he's made comments publically saying SLU is a superior academic institution to MU. Yeah, he's one of us."

so you're saying Majerus is almost half way there in one year. At this pace, 28 in 7 years. Reach for the stars, Rick!

Let's see a couple of those couldn't get playing time under the previous head coach, and as I recall, the desperation for warm bodies to fill a rotation ran high during his tenure. Another, received exactly zero D-1 offers outside of SLU. No offense to those kids, but they weren't going to play at SLU.

SLU is no different than other schools when it comes to transfers. Soderberg had his share, Tom Crean had his share at Marquette. Scott Christopherson is leaving Marquette.