SWIC and Harrelson

slu72

Is Harrelson's release official and he can now verbal? If so, have to agree with Broy, if he was chomping at the bit to come to SLU, why the delay? We all know how the last SWIC recruit turned out for us once the biggies came a calling. Some on this board have posted that they are close to Harrelson. Also, some have posted the SWIC coaches don't think SLU's big time enough for their gems (see Stemler). Can see a JUCO program using the pitch that "our last two major stars went to IU and KY" on their future recruits. Yet others have posted RM and the SWIC coach are becoming fast friends. All of the above very confusing. But what recuitment of a rising star isn't confusing? Is Harrelson good enough to garner major minutes at a BCS'er like KY, or OSU, or Indiana? Obviously, we know he should fare pretty well at SLU and in the A-10 where big men are at a premium. No doubt, if as good as advertised, he could be a difference maker for us next year. In fact, I'd see RM's grand plan moved up by a year if he signs. Just wondering if anyone has any inside dope on which way he's leaning?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Harrelson's release official and he can now verbal? If so, have to agree with Broy, if he was chomping at the bit to come to SLU, why the delay? We all know how the last SWIC recruit turned out for us once the biggies came a calling. Some on this board have posted that they are close to Harrelson. Also, some have posted the SWIC coaches don't think SLU's big time enough for their gems (see Stemler). Can see a JUCO program using the pitch that "our last two major stars went to IU and KY" on their future recruits. Yet others have posted RM and the SWIC coach are becoming fast friends. All of the above very confusing. But what recuitment of a rising star isn't confusing? Is Harrelson good enough to garner major minutes at a BCS'er like KY, or OSU, or Indiana? Obviously, we know he should fare pretty well at SLU and in the A-10 where big men are at a premium. No doubt, if as good as advertised, he could be a difference maker for us next year. In fact, I'd see RM's grand plan moved up by a year if he signs. Just wondering if anyone has any inside dope on which way he's leaning?

Pretty much all of your questions are answered to some extent in the 67 post thread on billikenboard. You can also read Bernie's press-box for some other insight.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14874

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=530732

Pretty much all of your questions are answered to some extent in the 67 post thread on billikenboard. You can also read Bernie's press-box for some other insight.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14874

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=530732

Thanks, Kshoe. I didn't get much from our thread. But BM's site seemed to answer it all. No one knows anything at this point. So it'll be real suspenseful on here for about the next month or two re: Mr. Harrelson.

Is Harrelson's release official and he can now verbal? If so, have to agree with Broy, if he was chomping at the bit to come to SLU, why the delay?

To date, Majerus has been prohibited from contacting or offering Josh under the NCAA rules, so a verbal isn't even possible. 72, I don't know if he is coming to SLU, but don't get sucked into the paranoid conspiracy theories.

Just because he really wanted to come to SLU 2 years ago, doesn't mean that he necessarily wants to come now. I can't understand how people think this is so cut and dry. This is real life. Things change in 2 years. Opportunities present themselves, people change, priorities aren't the same. By all accounts, SLU is one of the leaders for his services. Whether or not he ends up here is TBD, but if he doesn't, I really hope we don't have to see 100 posts calling everybody liars.

To date, Majerus has been prohibited from contacting or offering Josh under the NCAA rules, so a verbal isn't even possible.

oh you mean like when roundfield verballed to siu 5 months before it was legal to contact or directly offer him?

oh you mean like when roundfield verballed to siu 5 months before it was legal to contact or directly offer him?

Roy, I'm no expert re: recruiting rules but I don't think you have a clue when it comes to the Roundtree and Booker recruitment. Highschool freshmen, sophomores, juniors etc. can be recruited if they initiate the contact (i.e. they call the coach). Oral committments from juniors and younger happen all the time.

Harrellson is a completely different situation. No coach has been allowed to speak with him on any level since he's been at SWIC because of tampering. Schools have been able to show their interest by calling the SWIC coaches and by showing up to practices, games, etc. But if they said word one to JH then they would be accused of tampering.

Completely different situations.

-a kid can verbal at any time - see the 8th graders (wasn't it Bailey to Indiana, of all places?) that have done it

-it is my guess the slu ship has sailed on harrelson, brad had his chance with a kid on his son's rival team, could not see the potential, and did not offer, now KY or someone of that ilk will get a player and then we can debate how good he was or was not or if he could have helped SLU (ah, the next Ahearn)

Roy, I'm no expert re: recruiting rules but I don't think you have a clue when it comes to the Roundtree and Booker recruitment. Highschool freshmen, sophomores, juniors etc. can be recruited if they initiate the contact (i.e. they call the coach). Oral committments from juniors and younger happen all the time.

Harrellson is a completely different situation. No coach has been allowed to speak with him on any level since he's been at SWIC because of tampering. Schools have been able to show their interest by calling the SWIC coaches and by showing up to practices, games, etc. But if they said word one to JH then they would be accused of tampering.

Completely different situations.

you all tore into soderberg for not figuring a way to make an offer to roundtree. you all assured me it could be done without roundtree coming to slu and were furious that siu figured it out and slu couldnt. all it took was using the third party.

for the last year we have been hearing how close rickma and harrington are and that it was a done deal if only the LOI wasnt in the way. there was an understood offer out there as soon as the LOI was out of the way.

amazing how you all can have it both ways.

you all tore into soderberg for not figuring a way to make an offer to roundtree. you all assured me it could be done without roundtree coming to slu and were furious that siu figured it out and slu couldnt. all it took was using the third party.

for the last year we have been hearing how close rickma and harrington are and that it was a done deal if only the LOI wasnt in the way. there was an understood offer out there as soon as the LOI was out of the way.

You know that Harrellson isn't OFFICIALLY released yet, right Roy? He has only been told that he is going to be released sometime this week.

I don't recall anyone alleged to be close to Harrellson saying it was a done deal for SLU if he got the LOI. All I recall is that he refused to go to Western because of a family situation that prompted him to wish to remain very close to home. That decision was made a year ago. Does he still want to stay very close to home? Will the knocks at the door from the big boys change his mind? I just do not see how we can bash the kid for waiting to explore his options after falling into a recruiting black hole for over a year. As far as I know, Harrellson has never met coach Majerus. Even if he was leaning toward SLU, the prudent course for the young man is to wait till the dead period lifts, visit the SLU campus and make at least one other visit to compare your options. If he were my son I would want him to make more than one visit. This is his last bite at the apple. The first bite was bitter. Be cautious and make the best decision possible.

I don't recall anyone alleged to be close to Harrellson saying it was a done deal for SLU if he got the LOI.

go back and read big bill fans posts over the last year. of course now he is changing his tune.

my comments are not made to question harrelson. my point is that we had posters that were misleading the board for the last two years.

go back and read big bill fans posts over the last year. of course now he is changing his tune.

my comments are not made to question harrelson. my point is that we had posters that were misleading the board for the last two years.

Did anyone other than bigbillsfan announce Harrelson as a lock? And since when is bigbillsfan the authority in recruiting information or the spokesman for the rest of the board?

Guest BillikenReport

Give it up, Roy.

You bashed Harrellson for months, saying he wasn't good enough to play for SLU. You claimed Soderberg told Harrellson to wait for an offer, which never happened.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I wouldn't be surprised if Harrellson went somewhere else at this point. There was a time when SLU could have had him, and the coach then wasn't interested.

Now, some big name schools are very interested in him and he'll be able to go wherever he wants.

If he doesn't choose SLU, you can add him to the list of misses from the previous coaching staff. Put him somewhere along with Ahearn, Stemler, Shaw, etc.

You might be right Roy, but I can't recall anyone saying that JH would verbal once he was released and I come to the board pretty frequently.

Don't know about Big Bill's info, but it would seem pretty normal that JH's situation has changed now that the big boys want him.

you are ridiculous. there's a huge difference between a coach not being wise enough to seal the deal with a player during his junior year of high school, which majerus has already done with numerous players, and not being able to seal the deal with a player who is still committed to another school.

i think we had all been under the impression that harrelson would come to slu if released, however, no one knew how badly soderberg underevaluated him. in other words, we had no idea he'd be recruited by kentucky, indiana, etc.

if soderberg would have done his job a few years ago, we wouldn't be in this position. neither you nor he thought harrelson was good enough. we've heard the excuse (that soderberg was holding off for rodney alexander). i think that excuse is ludicrous. first, alexander hasn't proven to be a star, so i guess he had that evaluated wrong. second, why not offer both of them. oh, i forgot, soderberg liked to save half his scholies each year because that makes sense.

how bs could have seen him play as many times as he did and not offer him is still beyond me.

You claimed Soderberg told Harrellson to wait for an offer, which never happened.

not sure where you got that, but if true, then soderberg lied to the faces of over 100 billiken club members after the 2006 november signing date.

you are ridiculous. there's a huge difference between a coach not being wise enough to seal the deal with a player during his junior year of high school, which majerus has already done with numerous players, and not being able to seal the deal with a player who is still committed to another school.

i think we had all been under the impression that harrelson would come to slu if released, however, no one knew how badly soderberg underevaluated him. in other words, we had no idea he'd be recruited by kentucky, indiana, etc.

if soderberg would have done his job a few years ago, we wouldn't be in this position. neither you nor he thought harrelson was good enough. we've heard the excuse (that soderberg was holding off for rodney alexander). i think that excuse is ludicrous. first, alexander hasn't proven to be a star, so i guess he had that evaluated wrong. second, why not offer both of them. oh, i forgot, soderberg liked to save half his scholies each year because that makes sense.

how bs could have seen him play as many times as he did and not offer him is still beyond me.

Agreed. That excuse doesn't make sense. Alexander is a 3, where Harrellson is more of a 4/5, so they don't even play the same position.

Roy, quit being an ass and distorting the facts. I told you that during the summer before Harrellson's senior year, that I talked to him and he told me that he would love to play for SLU, but unfortunately had not even received so much as a letter much less a phone call from SLU. I later stated that I talked to Josh this past November at the start of his season at SWIC, he again told me that would love to play for SLU, and that he thought RM was a great guy. He also told me that it had been conveyed to him that RM had targeted him as his number 1 priority, if he became available. I am not a personal friend of the Harrellson family, and have never said that I am. Harrellson was a lock if he had been offered by Brad. That has already been established. When I last talked to Josh, he had not been offfered by any of the big boys, in fact none of them had ever seen him play. As for his family problems, they are well known by many in the St. Charles area, and I am not about to discuss them on this forum. All that I have stated, has been affirmed by Nate. Roy, for some reason has a vendetta against me, because I had the audacity to disagree with him about Harrellson's potential. I felt he could be a major contributor and Roy did not. Maybe I wasn't so stupid after all. This forum is for information, take it or leave it, that is your priority. That said, those who continue to call Josh and family fraud's, should reconsider what they are saying. Why can't we wait a few weeks for him to make a decision before we start all of the name calling?

Guest BillikenReport

So how did SLU manage to offer Femi John early in his junior season ... but yet BS couldn't offer Roundtree?

You've never had an explanation for this, Roy.

How did SLU offer Tyler Griffey when he was a freshman in high school? By your logic, BS would have had to wait until, well, right about now to offer him.

Roy, quit being an ass and distorting the facts. I told you that during the summer before Harrellson's senior year, that I talked to him and he told me that he would love to play for SLU, but unfortunately had not even received so much as a letter much less a phone call from SLU. I later stated that I talked to Josh this past November at the start of his season at SWIC, he again told me that would love to play for SLU, and that he thought RM was a great guy. He also told me that it had been conveyed to him that RM had targeted him as his number 1 priority, if he became available. I am not a personal friend of the Harrellson family, and have never said that I am. Harrellson was a lock if he had been offered by Brad. That has already been established. When I last talked to Josh, he had not been offfered by any of the big boys, in fact none of them had ever seen him play. As for his family problems, they are well known by many in the St. Charles area, and I am not about to discuss them on this forum. All that I have stated, has been affirmed by Nate. Roy, for some reason has a vendetta against me, because I had the audacity to disagree with him about Harrellson's potential. I felt he could be a major contributor and Roy did not. Maybe I wasn't so stupid after all. This forum is for information, take it or leave it, that is your priority. That said, those who continue to call Josh and family fraud's, should reconsider what they are saying. Why can't we wait a few weeks for him to make a decision before we start all of the name calling?

Big Bill, I think most folks here appreciate your insights. There is a small lunatic fringe of Sodie apologists that still exists here for some inexplicable reason who will continue to defend his recruiting failures. I don't think Roy should lecture you or anybody about credibility, considering that on numerous occasions he has stated he "doesn't want to talk about Brad, he's not the coach any more, he's moving on," etc..... yet here he is once again in this thread talking about BS.

Why can't we wait a few weeks for him to make a decision before we start all of the name calling?

I couldn't agree more. People are showing little class in some of the things they say. People are already acting like he has commited elswhere and are bitter. Is this how we want to treat a potential member of our team. Frankly, if I were Josh and got wind of this $hit, I'd kick SLU to the curb for there fans being a bunch of a$$holes.

I couldn't agree more. People are showing little class in some of the things they say. People are already acting like he has commited elswhere and are bitter. Is this how we want to treat a potential member of our team. Frankly, if I were Josh and got wind of this $hit, I'd kick SLU to the curb for there fans being a bunch of a$$holes.

I wouldn't go that far. Fortunately the sentiments of a couple of Sodie's soldiers don't represent the overwheming majority of fans. It's just a small, but vocal lunatic fringe. I am thankful that the folks with real money and authority within the program were able to bring about change. We should all be excited about the future of Billiken hoops, including potential players like JH.

i'd like to clarify, my comments are not about harrelson. they are about those posters that have been preaching he was a sure thing for months. i told you all months ago that the word was that the big boys were swarming around. yet the masses here kept saying it was a sure thing. all i am pointing out is that the posters were wrong. that has nothing to do with harrelson and what he should do.