The mass exodus has begun

brianstl

Not at SLU, but at SIU-C. It has come out that Jordan Armstrong and Brandon Wood are transfering. Word is two more will be leaving. That would be four kids transfering out in one year. All of sudden it doesn't sound as crazy when you think about it happening here.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at SLU, but at SIU-C. It has come out that Jordan Armstrong and Brandon Wood are transfering. Word is two more will be leaving. That would be four kids transfering out in one year. All of sudden it doesn't sound as crazy when you think about it happening here.

What! I thought only the big bad Rick Majerus ran kids off. How can this be?

What! I thought only the big bad Rick Majerus ran kids off. How can this be?

i couldnt care less what others do. i only care about saint louis university.

What, we're now being compared to SIUC. What's crazy about an unhappy kid leaving one school for another. Happens everyday....multiple times. You can bet you'll see a rash of transfers over the next 3-4 weeks. Especially with the coaching changes coming down the pike.

i couldnt care less what others do. i only care about saint louis university.

we should not play games

only scrimmage against ourselves

you are so right :)

the world is a 6 block by 3 block or whatever the measurements are area in midtown stl

cowboy i have no idea what point you are trying to make.

my point was just because other schools cheat or send players away for no reason, is no reason we should be cutting players as well. i would hope saint louis university is better than that and treats our student athletes better than other schools. i have no idea how sending these kids away 2-3 years away from a degree they were promised by saint louis university is going to make us a better basketball team all that much faster. sure we get to recruit 4 more kids now, but why cant we coach up the kids we got and do the best we can and then gradually insert the 4 rickma players over the next 3 years? instead we treat our student athletes like possessions.

if nothing else if you are just about how fast our basketball team can get better, well maybe rickma does get 4 better players now, what coach isnt going to use this against us. "are you sure you want to play for rickma? you know if you dont make it big immediately at saint louis, rickma will send you down the road and you will have to find a new school. i cant guarantee you i will have a spot for you then. i got one now and if you come to xyz university now, you do indeed have a scholarship for four years." i guarantee you i would do it if i was an opposing coach.

cowboy i have no idea what point you are trying to make.

my point was just because other schools cheat or send players away for no reason, is no reason we should be cutting players as well. i would hope saint louis university is better than that and treats our student athletes better than other schools. i have no idea how sending these kids away 2-3 years away from a degree they were promised by saint louis university is going to make us a better basketball team all that much faster. sure we get to recruit 4 more kids now, but why cant we coach up the kids we got and do the best we can and then gradually insert the 4 rickma players over the next 3 years? instead we treat our student athletes like possessions.

if nothing else if you are just about how fast our basketball team can get better, well maybe rickma does get 4 better players now, what coach isnt going to use this against us. "are you sure you want to play for rickma? you know if you dont make it big immediately at saint louis, rickma will send you down the road and you will have to find a new school. i cant guarantee you i will have a spot for you then. i got one now and if you come to xyz university now, you do indeed have a scholarship for four years." i guarantee you i would do it if i was an opposing coach.

Roy, in the Harrelson thread you are defending Western Illinois right to stick to the letter of the law. Yet, in this instance, why doesn't SLU have the right to follow the letter of the law?... Isn't an athletic scholarship renewable on a year-by-year basis?

that strategy sure paid off for the other coaches to this point with respect to cotto and cassity

Not quite accurate but close.

Jordan Armstrong is transferring to a DII where he will actually get some playing time.

Brandon Wood didn't see eye to eye and it was a MUTUAL seperation.

Christian Cornelius has an athritic knee due to an ACL tear and is contemplating whether he can play bball any more. If he can't play, he will still receive an academic scholarship since it is a physical ailment.

Those are the only 3 that are leaving....not quite the circumstances to be considered "cleaning house".

Not quite accurate but close.

Jordan Armstrong is transferring to a DII where he will actually get some playing time.

Brandon Wood didn't see eye to eye and it was a MUTUAL seperation.

Christian Cornelius has an athritic knee due to an ACL tear and is contemplating whether he can play bball any more. If he can't play, he will still receive an academic scholarship since it is a physical ailment.

Those are the only 3 that are leaving....not quite the circumstances to be considered "cleaning house".

Ok, this is really different than the SLU situation. You keep telling yourself that and you may believe it. Never mind it is almost the same thing that will happen at SLU right down to a player receiving an academic because he can't play competivly anymore because of injury.

i have no idea how sending these kids away 2-3 years away from a degree they were promised by saint louis university is going to make us a better basketball team all that much faster. sure we get to recruit 4 more kids now, but why cant we coach up the kids we got and do the best we can and then gradually insert the 4 rickma players over the next 3 years?

And while we hang on to four of Sodies recruits that will never get off the bench we can continue to have people make snide remarks about how our million dollar coach isn't any good and how they expected immediate gratification for the million dollar investment etc.

And while we hang on to four of Sodies recruits that will never get off the bench we can continue to have people make snide remarks about how our million dollar coach isn't any good and how they expected immediate gratification for the million dollar investment etc.

I said the same exact thing when this issue first came up. I completely agree with you.

Yeah, that's exactly it. I actually agree with Roy regarding much of this, but it's just not realistic. I really don't like running kids off (sugar coat it however you like...that is what is happening), but that is the result of the situation we are in.

Rick got hired to do one thing and one thing only...make $$ for the university. Biondi hired him to bring money into the program and start the Chaefetz off with a bang. That is not happening with our current roster. It may happen in 3 years, but given the talent level, who really knows. Not only would the fans and boosters be upset, but the man writing the checks wouldn't be getting what he signed up for. Frankly, I don't think Rick has much of a choice in the matter. Even though it's not how I would do it, I'll deal with it. And I'll be just as happy as anybody when our new recruits lead us deep into March.

Roy, in the Harrelson thread you are defending Western Illinois right to stick to the letter of the law. Yet, in this instance, why doesn't SLU have the right to follow the letter of the law?... Isn't an athletic scholarship renewable on a year-by-year basis?

i never said that slu cant cut kids per rules. of course they can. i am saying we should do the right thing ethically. we have a choice there.

in harrelson's case, it is just the opposite. ethically of course western shouldnt hold the kid up. rules they can and did.

that strategy sure paid off for the other coaches to this point with respect to cotto and cassity

cowboy cassity and cotto committed before rickma cut anyone. in fact as far as we officially know, slu still hasnt cut the four players we are talking about. thus a coach isnt going to emphatically sit on that point.......yet. now once it actually happens, then it will be a tool for the opposing coaches.

he knew what he had when he took the job. if he didnt like them he should have told them to leave in august or at worst in december. imo, if he truly has cut the four kids, what he has done has diminished his "coaching results" more than had he treated his team right in my eyes.

cowboy cassity and cotto committed before rickma cut anyone. in fact as far as we officially know, slu still hasnt cut the four players we are talking about. thus a coach isnt going to emphatically sit on that point.......yet. now once it actually happens, then it will be a tool for the opposing coaches.

I think it will have very little effect. 90% of these kids and the people surrounding them think they will be ready to start the moment they get on campus. They could never envision themselves being told to explore their options because they are not playing well enough.

Yeah, that's exactly it. I actually agree with Roy regarding much of this, but it's just not realistic. I really don't like running kids off (sugar coat it however you like...that is what is happening), but that is the result of the situation we are in.

Rick got hired to do one thing and one thing only...make $$ for the university. Biondi hired him to bring money into the program and start the Chaefetz off with a bang. That is not happening with our current roster. It may happen in 3 years, but given the talent level, who really knows. Not only would the fans and boosters be upset, but the man writing the checks wouldn't be getting what he signed up for. Frankly, I don't think Rick has much of a choice in the matter. Even though it's not how I would do it, I'll deal with it. And I'll be just as happy as anybody when our new recruits lead us deep into March.

nashville if the four recruits that we add to replace the four rumored cut players made us think of oj mayo, derrick rose, kevin love and eric gordon then this makes sense. but so far we dont even have players lined up for two of the spots and as much as i like cassity and coto, they have freshmen holes and wont be our best freshmen let alone be likely starters. i.e. the impact wont be immediate and meanwhile we will have quite the unbalanced roster going forward now. well unless this is going to be an ongoing practice of cutting half the supposed to come back roster each spring. i pray we dont become that. it is bad enough he is cutting his step-children. surely he wont treat his own recruits the same.

Guest BillikenReport

well unless this is going to be an ongoing practice of cutting half the supposed to come back roster each spring. i pray we dont become that. it is bad enough he is cutting his step-children. surely he wont treat his own recruits the same.

As much as I like the recruits coming in, I do think we're going to see kids come and go every year. When you're talking about bringing in seven new kids next year (possibly more) you know all seven are not going to last for four years. So of that seven you're going to lose a couple of various reasons and some of them just aren't going to cut it playing for Majerus.

I believe we're going to see some very good results on the floor here soon but we'll also see some roster turnover every offseason.

As much as I like the recruits coming in, I do think we're going to see kids come and go every year. When you're talking about bringing in seven new kids next year (possibly more) you know all seven are not going to last for four years. So of that seven you're going to lose a couple of various reasons and some of them just aren't going to cut it playing for Majerus.

I believe we're going to see some very good results on the floor here soon but we'll also see some roster turnover every offseason.

so nate, how does that work with the ncaa graduation rate ratios they now track? it is my understanding that if a kid transfers out that the fact he does not graduate from slu hurts our ratio regardless of whether he graduates elsewhere or not. if true, we dont need that.

so nate, how does that work with the ncaa graduation rate ratios they now track? it is my understanding that if a kid transfers out that the fact he does not graduate from slu hurts our ratio regardless of whether he graduates elsewhere or not. if true, we dont need that.

The way I understood it was that if the player is on pace to graduate then it will not affect the graduation rate. But I would like to know how that exactly works.