Matt Roth and Indiana

STLfan

Here is an article about Roth and Indiana. I wonder if the Bills are still interested.

Roth still behind Sampson

By Zak | Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Matt Roth, the lethal long range shooter from Washington, Ill. and a part of Kelvin Sampson’s 2008 recruiting class, said Wednesday night he still intends to play basketball at Indiana, as long as Kelvin Sampson is the coach.

If not, Roth said he will sit down with his parents and his high school coach, Kevin Brown, and make a decision.

“It’s been hard (seeing all the negative coverage) over the past week or so,” he said. “When I first heard it I was a little shocked. I thought they were going in the right direction. But I believe in Coach Sampson 110 percent and I still plan on being there.”

Roth said he spoke with assistant coach Jeff Meyer along with Sampson last weekend. He said Sampson was pretty normal, even a little upbeat because of the upcoming game against Purdue.

“He’s still a great coach in my opinion,” Roth said. “I’m a big fan of him and I wish him the best. It hurts to see this, because you love the program so much.”

When I asked Roth what he would do if Sampson is removed as Indiana’s coach, he said he hasn’t put much thought into that possibility.

He also said that he hasn’t been contacted by any other schools.

“Right now, I’m just focusing on our season here,” he said. Roth’s Washington Panthers have one more regular season game before the state tournament begins.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1623

So... Roth will be sitting down with his parents and his high school coach, Kevin Brown, and making a decision.

Of course he hasn't been contacted by other schools, because only his POS prospective college coach does that kind of ######.

I can understand kids that got suckered into Vashon, what else were they gonna do? But any kid that has the potential to play for such a big program as Indiana, would hopefully look to similarly situated schools that don't have sleezeballs for coaches. Unless you were born w/ an IU banner flying out your a$$hole, what's the difference? Oh. A coach that might be there for four years and not gut your program.

AP-College Basketball: Indiana-Sampson

Television station: Indiana's Sampson out as coach

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ Indianapolis television station WTHR is

reporting that Indiana men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson won't

coach another game for the Hoosiers.

The station reports today that assistant coach Dan Dakich

(DAHK'-itch) will take over as interim coach for the rest of the

season.

The NCAA has accused Sampson and some members of his staff of

five major recruiting violations over improper telephone calls to

high school players. The school is reviewing the allegations and

has set tomorrow as a deadline for a report and recommendation on

action in the case.

WTHR also reports that Sampson and IU will either reach a

financial settlement by tomorrow ending his employment, or he will

be suspended pending termination under his contract's terms.

IU spokesman Larry MacIntyre has declined to comment on the

report.

nate, do we have any chance at MR. If we dont It doesnt matter much. Hopefully Ruben Cotto or Kyle Cassity will pick the bills.

I don't want the kid. He had his chance. He decided to go elsewhere. I don't want to be a kids second choice. From what I've seen around the internet about his season this year, it looks like he's been surpassed by a lot of kids in the state. See ya.

I don't want the kid. He had his chance. He decided to go elsewhere. I don't want to be a kids second choice. From what I've seen around the internet about his season this year, it looks like he's been surpassed by a lot of kids in the state. See ya.

mysentimentsexactlycottocanmakeitrain.

didnt roth sign a LOI to indiana in november? if so, what makes you think indiana is going to let him out of that? if roth doesnt want to go to indiana, i guess there is a good junior college around peoria somewhere he can do a josh harrelson with.

to even think about roth is crazy. i would bet you any money rickma hasnt given it a second thought and wont unless roth somehow miraculously obtains that no strings attached loi release.

didnt roth sign a LOI to indiana in november? if so, what makes you think indiana is going to let him out of that? if roth doesnt want to go to indiana, i guess there is a good junior college around peoria somewhere he can do a josh harrelson with.

to even think about roth is crazy. i would bet you any money rickma hasnt given it a second thought and wont unless roth somehow miraculously obtains that no strings attached loi release.

IF ... he becomes available, I would pass. RM will fill the void. Only from what I've heard, if I had a choice betwwen MR and Cotto ... I'd take COtto

I thought that the consensus was that with a coaching change, all bets are off. Am I wrong?

I thought that the consensus was that with a coaching change, all bets are off. Am I wrong?

absolutely not. the loi language very plainly states and has separate signing spots to acknowledge a player understands he is committing to a school not the coach. roth is stuck at indiana unless indiana agrees to release him from his letter of intent.

He's still tied by the LOI, but can be released if the school grants him one. I see no reason why they wouldn't release him if he requested it, and schools have been more generous about that in recent years.

Roy, I'm sure we can supply you with numerous examples where a coach left or was fired and kids decided to go elsewhere. I don't really have the time to research that, but I can easily give you one name - Ryan Hollins, SLU to UCLA.

absolutely not. the loi language very plainly states and has separate signing spots to acknowledge a player understands he is committing to a school not the coach. roth is stuck at indiana unless indiana agrees to release him from his letter of intent.

Yet, in practice nearly all schools allow kids to be released when coaches are fired or leave. Roy, you know better than this. If you need a Billiken example of this think about Ryan Hollins.

and slu took almost 2 months and three trips to los angeles to try to get him to accept it first. hollins was lucky it was good guy soderberg he was dealing with and even then, i believe it was a restrictive release that eliminated washington from a destination for hollins.

i would bet that indiana would at the minimum handle the same way as soderberg handled hollins.

i never saw roth in person. but cotto sure is good.

from the accounts we read over the summer, roth was a new and improved drew deiner (likely much improved but shooter is what i am going for).

cotto does it all and is apparently much more physically developed. unless roth is indeed stronger and better with going to the basket than what i understand, i wouldnt even think about taking roth over cotto.

i never saw roth in person. but cotto sure is good.

from the accounts we read over the summer, roth was a new and improved drew deiner (likely much improved but shooter is what i am going for).

cotto does it all and is apparently much more physically developed. unless roth is indeed stronger and better with going to the basket than what i understand, i wouldnt even think about taking roth over cotto.

Wouldn't the decision really be Roth over Cassity since the two seem to be the same player and Cassity recently received an offer?

Wouldn't the decision really be Roth over Cassity since the two seem to be the same player and Cassity recently received an offer?

I would rather have Cassity. From eveything I hear he has the better all around game. That said, Roth has the range that will be at a premium as the 3 pt line moves further back.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Whoever would say they want to come now is who I would go with.

Exactly. And even though the situation with Sampson is unclear right now, I don't know why everyone's so low on Roth. Having a shooter like him is an incredibly valuable and underrated asset.

What ever new coach comes in, he's going to be top notch and will need players. The first thing on his agenda will be to keep the players already there and signed to come there. I don't think the chances of Roth going elsewhere are very high.

That all remains to be seen. I just don't want to write the kid off in the case he asks for and is granted a release from his LOI.