Top 10 Excuses for SLU Students NOT Going to the Game...

AlumniFan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

former slu beatwriter, stu durando with a very good view of the orange crush and their plans for their big game tonite vs indiana.

the blue crew can only dream of such.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...09?OpenDocument

It is kind of silly to ***** about the SLU students who don't show up to games because the probably don't read the board either.

Not sure why, but there are well over 500 students here tonight. maybe more - alot more. Most I have seen at a game in 20 years.

The students were GREAT tonight! IMO, having a rowdy, vociferous , HUGE blue crew group made a big difference. My only wish would be that even half of that showed up for a normal game. They're the ones that add electricity to an arena (and our fantastic band - but, they're a given at every game. Thanks!). Us older folks can't hold a candle to a bunch of 20 year olds when it comes to generating excitement.

The students were awesome. They looked like they were having a blast. And how great does the "S-A-INT" cheer sound with all of those students cheering? Awesome.

Random observation: would it have killed some of our older fans to put on the free blue t-shirt they were given? Put it on over your freaking shirt or sweater, it's not hard to do.

The students were awesome. They looked like they were having a blast. And how great does the "S-A-INT" cheer sound with all of those students cheering? Awesome.

Random observation: would it have killed some of our older fans to put on the free blue t-shirt they were given? Put it on over your freaking shirt or sweater, it's not hard to do.

But dagnabbit, I've been wearing this same knit logo sweater to Billiken games since 1946, and no perky little marketing gal can tell me what to wear!

On TV, I could tell that a lot of our season ticket holders weren't cooperating with the Blue Out, so it looked kind of weak. I understand how sacred certain habits can be to older generations (like alumni sweaters with a small logo worn over oxford shirts), but come on, be a fan!

I have always wanted the average age of our fan base to drop dramatically (and I'm not suggesting I want the older generation to die off), and I think that's probably what we all want. It makes the games too quiet when most of the fan base are alums from the mid-twentieth century. I love the loyal support, but I want to see all those empty seats in between theirs to be filled with loud, enthusiastic young people who aren't afraid to have a beer or two at the games and participate in fan events.

i know this my be overly simple, but did anyone ask the fans 1. as they entered the gates and were handed the shirt, and 2. over the PA to put the shirts on?

hey i always wear billiken blue. and it p!sses me off that so many others "dont get it" when it comes to creating the atmosphere needed. but sometimes you just got to treat grandpa and grandma like children. tell them to put on the damn shirt. hell i would have even had the cheerleaders and dance team go into the crowd after the billikens came back to the floor with about 5 minutes before game time and again tell the fuddy's "PUT ON THE SHIRTS".

just another example of not going all the way on a good marketing idea.

i know this my be overly simple, but did anyone ask the fans 1. as they entered the gates and were handed the shirt, and 2. over the PA to put the shirts on?

hey i always wear billiken blue. and it p!sses me off that so many others "dont get it" when it comes to creating the atmosphere needed. but sometimes you just got to treat grandpa and grandma like children. tell them to put on the damn shirt. hell i would have even had the cheerleaders and dance team go into the crowd after the billikens came back to the floor with about 5 minutes before game time and again tell the fuddy's "PUT ON THE SHIRTS".

just another example of not going all the way on a good marketing idea.

The PA guy did ask the fans to put their shirts on. I think the cheerleaders in the aisles should have told people to put them on as well, as you said.

I was in a suite last night, so my view of the crowd was different than usual. Not sure why so many people were wearing YELLOW. Put on your free t-shirt!

BTW, the shirts were great. I have to say that my expectation level was pretty low, knowing that the shirts were free, but I actually like them - quality, good design.

I thought the students were fantastic last night, but the real question is how many will show up next Wednesday? My observation, even after the game, was the students really enjoyed the event. But I'll bet not many of them return on Wednesday.

Too bad, it made the game much more exciting, and it has to help the team!

a comment on TT's blog:

"when bryce husak wasnt on the floor, slu played well. it was a great game to be at as a slu student, as the place was packed with fans. unfortunately, most just came because the free shirt or because we were playing a ranked team. the crowds at the next home game will be just like they were before. and dont expect the new arena to attract more students. Slu is going to charge us students, who pay 35,000 dollars a year to go to the school, ten dollars per ticket next year."

not a good sign for attendance that students will have to pay... i hadn't heard of this.

That game last night was perfect for students who don't usually go to games. Although we did not win the game, all the elements were there. Matching up evenly against a very good ranked team and having it come down to a tip-in. Last night made me feel good about our program and the potential fan base out there. In our new arena 800 people there last night would have not gotten in the door. We will play for packed houses all the time, especially when we are the team ranked 14 in the nation. Our new recruits are what Rick got on short notice, its only going to get much better. I am certain SLU bball games will be the thing to do on campus next year, but $10 a seat for students worries me.