GDT: SLU @ La Salle

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win for the Bills.

Anyone else notice how many nice layups the Bills have been getting recently on cuts to the basket. In the past the Bills couldn't get in the lane even if the other team all fell down. Now they are getting easy layups off passes when they cut to the hole. The one where Luke faked the screen and cut to the basket instead and Kevin hit him perfectly in stride was beautiful.

Danny Brown has been playing superbly of late and should be getting the starting nod.

Nice win for the Bills.

Anyone else notice how many nice layups the Bills have been getting recently on cuts to the basket. In the past the Bills couldn't get in the lane even if the other team all fell down. Now they are getting easy layups off passes when they cut to the hole. The one where Luke faked the screen and cut to the basket instead and Kevin hit him perfectly in stride was beautiful.

Danny Brown has been playing superbly of late and should be getting the starting nod.

The fact that we are getting those layups is also helping us get some wide open looks from the perimeter like today when 3 La Salle players followed Tommie on his cut and Luke was all alone. The offense is finally showing signs of life. Now I can see why RM was so pumped about the practices this week.

Also, I agree with what everybody is saying about Danny Brown. Since he returned from his knee surgery he has done nothing but produce. Unlike in past seasons he is protecting the ball. His energy on the glass is also something to point out. He is a very strong guard type who seems to enjoy a more physical play. Also, in recent games he seems to be getting a little quickness back (compared to the first few games when his knee was clearly a hinderance). This team has a much more potent offensive attack with DB on the floor.

Also, I think it's important to recognize the recent play of AK. For the first time in his career at SLU I feel like he's making significant contributions. He may not show up much on the stat sheet, but he's setting some strong picks and really giving it all he has. His rebounding has noticeably improved and overall he just seems more aggressive. It would be really interesting to see AK and BE playing together at the 4 and 5. Those two guys play with some emotion and heart. BE has some really nice low post moves and AK has a nice touch free-throw line extended. These guys should be getting almost all the minutes right now seeing as BH is about as ineffective as they come recently.

Good game by Danny but let's not get delusional here.

I really don't think that statement is delusional. He is protecting the ball as well as anybody, and especially in recent games his offensive presence makes this team overall a much more potent attack. He can mix it up in the paint and he still has that perimeter stroke to knock down open looks. If you really watch him at every game you will see that he is a different player right now than he has been in his previous seasons with the Bills. It really is hard to argue that he is not producing more than DP and PE since his return.

I really don't think that statement is delusional. He is protecting the ball as well as anybody, and especially in recent games his offensive presence makes this team overall a much more potent attack. He can mix it up in the paint and he still has that perimeter stroke to knock down open looks. If you really watch him at every game you will see that he is a different player right now than he has been in his previous seasons with the Bills. It really is hard to argue that he is not producing more than DP and PE since his return.

I agree Danny is playing much smarter basketball than he did his first 3 years. I wonder why that is?? It can't be because of the coaching. It has already been pointed out by our brighter basketball minds that RM is doing a poor coaching job this year.

DB is having a very good senior year. He's no longer turning the ball over. He's playing aggressive as always, but is now under control. By his recent play he's deserving of starting, but I like him as our 6th man. He's doing well in that role now, so let him continue. He's getting his minutes and always in at crunch time.

Nice win. I thought we beat Lasalle and the refs.

Does anyone have any insight into the reffing situation? Are these guys just not the caliber of the refs from Conference USA?

I agree that Danny has been great lately. However, I like the energy he brings off the bench. I think he should stay as our 6th man because of his versatility and his energy. I'd go with a starting lineup like this

AK

BE

LM

TL

LK

Then you could sub in Danny for anyone in that lineup and just shift guys around. Danny could basically get starting minutes, but bring his energy off the bench. Polk could come in and run the point when Kevin needs a break (if TL can't do it) or come in for defensive purposes. Bryce could provide help down low off the bench.

DB is having a very good senior year. He's no longer turning the ball over. He's playing aggressive as always, but is now under control. By his recent play he's deserving of starting, but I like him as our 6th man. He's doing well in that role now, so let him continue. He's getting his minutes and always in at crunch time.

Nice win. I thought we beat Lasalle and the refs.

Does anyone have any insight into the reffing situation? Are these guys just not the caliber of the refs from Conference USA?

These guys aen't even the caliber of the CYC.

WHO-RA, I wasn't sure we would get a road win this year. They had a solid offensive effort for the first time on the road that I can remember this year. I do think the DB makes a huge difference when he's in there, seems more under control that last year when he's handling the ball. Let's see if we can take this offense into Dayton next week. We're going to miss LM next year, he's the hardest worker on the team.

I agree Danny is playing much smarter basketball than he did his first 3 years. I wonder why that is?? It can't be because of the coaching. It has already been pointed out by our brighter basketball minds that RM is doing a poor coaching job this year.

You really know how to muck up a good thread. That being said I think Danny has benefited the most of any Billiken player under Majerus' coaching.

A very good game. A nice and much needed win. But everyone please remember one thing ---- it's La Salle. Danny has been doing very well as of late. Should have thrown down the dunk on that last breakaway. Do we get all those cuts with Xavier's Love, or Rhodey's Seawright, or St. Joe's Nivens in there? It's La Salle. We also need to win at Richmond as the season progresses.

Dayton is doable and hopefully they've seen the Xavier defensive tapes on Roberts. But Dayton is at home so you have to figure Huelsman and Johnson and even dead weight Binnie do more than they did at the Cintas Center. Not only is it not La Salle, its also not the Tom Gola Center. Dayton is a tough place to win in even when the team ain't that good.

It would be really interesting to see AK and BE playing together at the 4 and 5. Those two guys play with some emotion and heart.

Thinking the same thing. BE has a tough time in the post against a legit opposing 5 (like LaSalle had). Adam has given a boost to this team. Mystified why he was benched for 1/2 the season.

On Danny Brown, he has played much smarter, more controlled this season. I've never seen Danny use the mid-range game. In the past, once he put on the floor, he tried to go to the rack and often dribbled the ball off his foot or whatever when he got into traffic. Did you see those pull up floaters in the lane today? That was beautiful from DB.

danny brown is now what appears to be "much smarter" because rickma uses him primarily as a sf and pf and his roles do not call for him to have the ball out court as much. i.e. he has less opportunity to make mistakes and bad decisions. kudos to rickma.

unlike what you think, i do give credit to rickma when due. now if rickma would just play polk less and play eberhardt primarily at the pf and meyer primarily at the sf. and start utilizing mitchell and relphorde more, i would be pretty content.

danny brown is now what appears to be "much smarter" because rickma uses him primarily as a sf and pf and his roles do not call for him to have the ball out court as much. i.e. he has less opportunity to make mistakes and bad decisions. kudos to rickma.

unlike what you think, i do give credit to rickma when due. now if rickma would just play polk less and play eberhardt primarily at the pf and meyer primarily at the sf. and start utilizing mitchell and relphorde more, i would be pretty content.

Roy, do you just think that maybe, just maybe that the players are beginning to understand RM's sytem? You and others impatience with him is ridiculous. We saw an example today of how effective his motion game can be when executed correctly. The next few years when we actually have a front court and a pg, should be very exciting for Billiken fans.

Big Bill Fan, before you get too full of wheaties calling folks out, LaSalle is a team that was projected to be in the tier BELOW us. There have been games where the team played poorly, Rickma coached poorly, and every other variation. Let's hope we are now seeing the team and coach gel, and see solid efforts on the floor and from the bench for the remainder of the season.

Most of all, let's hope to see a deeper bench so our gamewinners have energy in the tank at the end of the season and for the conference tourney.

Big Bill Fan, before you get too full of wheaties calling folks out, LaSalle is a team that was projected to be in the tier BELOW us. There have been games where the team played poorly, Rickma coached poorly, and every other variation. Let's hope we are now seeing the team and coach gel, and see solid efforts on the floor and from the bench for the remainder of the season.

Most of all, let's hope to see a deeper bench so our gamewinners have energy in the tank at the end of the season and for the conference tourney.

Actually, I am more of a frosted flakes man. Your point about the team and RM begining to gel is true. Those who expected this to happen immediately were way off base. My point was and still is that the most important ingredient to have a successful team is TALENT. Until RM has his players on the court it is unreasonable to expect a top team. As for beating Lasalle, any time you can win a conference road game it is a nice accomplishment.