Majerus on radio

Quickdraw

RM had a dinner with KL last night (RM specifically stated that KL paid for his meal) and Majerus acknowledged that the team is on information overload (no kidding).

Majerus stated something to the effect that the current guys on the team don't necessarily have the commitment to show up early to practice and really work hard on game issues (he said maybe one or two will be there "dribbling between his legs" or "acting like he is working hard"). He said this will change next year with the quality of kids they are bringing in.

RM said thanks to the 6,000+ fans there for the Pacific game.

Summary

1. says he over practices

2. says he overcoaches

3. says he is used to walking into the gym and seeing players working on their game not one pretending to work, on dribbling between his legs

4. says he needs a better system to gain info from professors, he and another coach walked a player to class, he wants to ensure they get the best support possible

5. let Biancardi and Moser run the practice the other day

6. wanted to have 1 hr. of film but the asst's said he is crazy

7. he wants to get his guys in here

8. he went to dinner w/ Lisch and asked about his issues w/ the team

He did say that they previously broke down the game film and everybody had the opportunity to get chewed out. He made reference to the "basketball culture" of the team and admitted that changing it is a slow process, mainly because people are slow to change. It can only happen a little at a time; and he compared it to his own battle with weight--you can't plan on losing 40 pounds instantly, just hope to lose a quarter pound every few days. In assessing the talent level of the team, he basically said that they're good kids, but we really don't have speed or athleticism, and we have no depth.

I thought Rick would throw the kids under the bus ... but still disappointed to hear it come from his lips on the radio. As a fan, I'll give Rick a pass for this year. But also as a long time Bills fan, I can't turn on Tommie, Kevin, and Luke. These guys can play. They are passionate and committed.

Summary

1. says he over practices

2. says he overcoaches

3. says he is used to walking into the gym and seeing players working on their game not one pretending to work, on dribbling between his legs

4. says he needs a better system to gain info from professors, he and another coach walked a player to class, he wants to ensure they get the best support possible

5. let Biancardi and Moser run the practice the other day

6. wanted to have 1 hr. of film but the asst's said he is crazy

7. he wants to get his guys in here

8. he went to dinner w/ Lisch and asked about his issues w/ the team

Can we conclude from this, and no I'm not UB bashing, but the culture of commitment that RM desires was never instilled in our guys? If it's not there, you are going to be mediocre or worse. One thing I admired about the Thompson article was he improved his nutrition by cutting out Pizza's and Big Macs, which is a major sacrifice for a teenager, to improve his overall game. Now he's faster and stronger. That's the kind of commitment RM's looking for. Athletes at this level have to work much harder than they did in HS to excel and win. It doesn't seem like many of our kids "get it". Which is what that analyst was saying the other day about Gordon from IU, he get's it and the scouts know he gets it. It's just not talent or athleticism based, the heart's got to be there as well. IV proved as much his last two years at SLU. His Jr. year he wanted to test the NBA waters so he left it all out on the court. His senior year, I think he came back from NBA camp a little discouraged and let this slip away by thinking "who am I kidding, I ain't getting drafted." Had he maybe said, "I'll show them" and approached every game like he did the UNC game against Hansborough, who knows, he might have been picked.

I thought Rick would throw the kids under the bus ... but still disappointed to hear it come from his lips on the radio. As a fan, I'll give Rick a pass for this year. But also as a long time Bills fan, I can't turn on Tommie, Kevin, and Luke. These guys can play. They are passionate and committed.

How's that throwing them under the bus? He's being honest. We don't have a lot of talent. Yes, KL is good, TL is good, LM is a blue collar ball buster, but that's about it. We have 3 maybe 4 guys (BE) that would play decent minutes on any team in the top 40, but that is it. Most of the others would be walkons. Is that harsh? Yes, but it is what it is. Look at it this way, besides TL and KL, who else on our team ever got offers from any BCS or high mid major programs? I can't think of any. And therein lies the problem.

I don't interpret his comments as throwing the kids under the bus. He simply is stating an observation that he has made. I would agree that kids are on overload and I would agree that his asst. coaches need to reign RM in once in a while with this group. For RM to say that the kids on this team are not as committed as he would like is not a knock but simply an assessment he has made. What RM is trying to do is create an atmosphere that requires total commitment if you come to SLU to play for him. Remember, he has always said that if all he was trying to do was win games this year then he would coach differently but he has decided to change the team culture at the risk of the record. TL and KL have much more to gain from RM then anybody else on this team - both can play after college whether it is in the NBA or the Developmental league or overseas. The others have less to gain other than just knowing they have down their best and grown some. RM has spoken frankly about his agenda and this team so why are some people so shocked - take your head out of the sand and look and listen to what is happening and being said. RM is not about this year but about what will happen next year and the years after. No one can be unhappy with the quality of recruit to date he has gotten and everybody should be looking forward to who he adds this spring and next fall. Stop watching this team through your rear view mirror and start looking at the road in front of us.

Some of us have been watching these kids play since they were freshmen in high school. We are quite aware of the limitations of our talent. That doesn't explain why a school like Kent St., who couldn't even get in the door to recruit posts like Eberhardt, never mind guards like Lisch and Liddell, beat us by 41. And does anybody really buy that Lisch, the prototype gym rat, would "pretend" to work on his game? C'mon now.

"How is that 'throwing the kids under the bus'?"

Rickma says we lost by 41 to Kent State because our kids lack desire and passion for the game. We had more talent on the floor than they did so I don't want to hear about our lack of talent accounting for a 41 point loss to this team. Kent State != Duke. If that is the way Rick sees it, fine. But I ain't buying it. Is it transition problems? OK, helps explain it. Overpracticing the kids with exaggerated multi-hour "walk-thrus" on game day? I have no idea, we're not allowed into practice. Lack of communication on the new offense? There were many other things Rick could have pointed to as potential problems but to dump a large helping of blame on the desire of the kids just sits in my mouth wrong. When a team comes out flat time and time again at the opening tip, the conventional wisdom is that this problem is to be laid at the feet of the coach. Just would have expected a sharing of the blame.

"How is that 'throwing the kids under the bus'?"

Rickma says we lost by 41 to Kent State because our kids lack desire and passion for the game. We had more talent on the floor than they did so I don't want to hear about our lack of talent accounting for a 41 point loss to this team. Kent State != Duke. If that is the way Rick sees it, fine. But I ain't buying it. Is it transition problems? OK, helps explain it. Overpracticing the kids with exaggerated multi-hour "walk-thrus" on game day? I have no idea, we're not allowed into practice. Lack of communication on the new offense? There were many other things Rick could have pointed to as potential problems but to dump a large helping of blame on the desire of the kids just sits in my mouth wrong. When a team comes out flat time and time again at the opening tip, the conventional wisdom is that this problem is to be laid at the feet of the coach. Just would have expected a sharing of the blame.

He mentioned all those factors in the interview, did you hear it?

Can we conclude from this, and no I'm not UB bashing, but the culture of commitment that RM desires was never instilled in our guys? If it's not there, you are going to be mediocre or worse. One thing I admired about the Thompson article was he improved his nutrition by cutting out Pizza's and Big Macs, which is a major sacrifice for a teenager, to improve his overall game. Now he's faster and stronger. That's the kind of commitment RM's looking for. Athletes at this level have to work much harder than they did in HS to excel and win. It doesn't seem like many of our kids "get it". Which is what that analyst was saying the other day about Gordon from IU, he get's it and the scouts know he gets it. It's just not talent or athleticism based, the heart's got to be there as well. IV proved as much his last two years at SLU. His Jr. year he wanted to test the NBA waters so he left it all out on the court. His senior year, I think he came back from NBA camp a little discouraged and let this slip away by thinking "who am I kidding, I ain't getting drafted." Had he maybe said, "I'll show them" and approached every game like he did the UNC game against Hansborough, who knows, he might have been picked.

i call b.s. i am not sure what the hell is going on, but i have never seen these kids not put out. and didnt nate just post today that his understanding of thompson dropping in the ratings is he indeed did put on weight? no one can tell me these kids coming in play harder now than lisch, meyer, eckerle, mitchell etc. now if he is saying he thinks he can do better getting the new kids to play harder immediately just because they are new, i am lukewarmly accepting that.

the insinuation that soderberg didnt press the kids is head shaking as well. all we heard for the time he was there was how crazy possessed and demanding soderberg was in practice. and that is from folks that would go and watch the practices.

and add me to the list of fans that is becoming ever more disappointed in the slams that majerus issues every time he is on the radio or being quoted in the paper. the whole picture is fuzzy imo. makes no sense.

No one can be unhappy with the quality of recruit to date he has gotten and everybody should be looking forward to who he adds this spring and next fall. Stop watching this team through your rear view mirror and start looking at the road in front of us.

while i agree i am enthusiastic about the new recruits, i was enthused about recruits most every year going back to grawer. hell we had 4 of the 5 all metro team players with this year's junior and seniors. pardon me if i dont wash away the existing kids just for the "new and improved" just yet.

Couldn't have said it better myself... thanks roy.

It seems like Majerus's mouth is a fountain of negativity, I've got nothing wrong with him being realistic but we all get the point... are there any positives?

I quess this coaching change is like all others. You've got to let him get his players in place with a couple years under their belt until you judge him. We all hoped he'd be able to come in and be able to coach them up immediately. That was a legitimate hope, since we had 4 starters returning. It still could happen. The thing that surprises me the most is RMs continous negative comments about the team. Is he trying to goad them into playing harder?

Guest 3pt.daddy

I quess this coaching change is like all others. You've got to let him get his players in place with a couple years under their belt until you judge him. We all hoped he'd be able to come in and be able to coach them up immediately. That was a legitimate hope, since we had 4 starters returning. It still could happen. The thing that surprises me the most is RMs continous negative comments about the team. Is he trying to goad them into playing harder?

RM is BS re-incarnated he plays 3-guards instead of two and passes the ball around the perimeter. he will not play three big players cause he does not like husak and knollmeyer. he is a has been and not the teacher that we expected. his excuses are poor cause he keeps playing polk, 2- pts. and 1-rebound per game and his love child eberhardt . get over all of this hype and nonsense cause RM is not leading anyone too any promised land. this is a middle of the road basketball program and it is going nowhere. the easter bunny is not coming to any games either.

i call b.s. i am not sure what the hell is going on, but i have never seen these kids not put out. and didnt nate just post today that his understanding of thompson dropping in the ratings is he indeed did put on weight? no one can tell me these kids coming in play harder now than lisch, meyer, eckerle, mitchell etc. now if he is saying he thinks he can do better getting the new kids to play harder immediately just because they are new, i am lukewarmly accepting that.

and add me to the list of fans that is becoming ever more disappointed in the slams that majerus issues every time he is on the radio or being quoted in the paper. the whole picture is fuzzy imo. makes no sense.

Well earlier today someone made reference of BS mentioning motivation and heart last year when he was clamoring for a Drejaj type. You don't need a team full of guys to bust their ass and want to win, you just need a couple. Does anyone on this team remind you in the slightest of Anthony Drejaj? No. Any team with AD would not have been whooped by a mid level team by 41. Maybe someone to come out of the timeouts to pump up the crowd, the kind of guy taht will get in someones face.

KILLER INSTINCT.

Thats what this team needs.

RM is BS re-incarnated he plays 3-guards instead of two and passes the ball around the perimeter. he will not play three big players cause he does not like husak and knollmeyer. he is a has been and not the teacher that we expected. his excuses are poor cause he keeps playing polk, 2- pts. and 1-rebound per game and his love child eberhardt . get over all of this hype and nonsense cause RM is not leading anyone too any promised land. this is a middle of the road basketball program and it is going nowhere. the easter bunny is not coming to any games either.

what excactly is wrong with eberhardt, also polk gives leadership you cannot put in stats

Your assessment of the players on this team is ridiculous, particularly your assessment of BE vs. AK. AK has been given numerous opportunities to prove that he can be effective on this level. Until he does so, IMO he does not warrant giving extensive minutes to. Rather, he should simply be used to give brief rests to BE and BH. You have mentioned before that he was great in highschool. Who cares? There are a lot of kids who were great Highschool players that can't cut it at the D-1 level...Paul Paradoski who we saw at UMSl is a good example, and our very own DM.

Also, your constant knocks on BE are absurd. BE has made a very quick adjustment to the D-1 level coming from JUCO. He is a solid offensive presence, and his defense and rebounding have begun to improve (you can't even use the Kent St. game as a measuring stick).

Finally, your sarcasm isn't humorous to anybody..."The easter bunny is not coming to any games either"...really? Reading your first 5 posts thus far on this board I just shake my head in amazement...

Your assessment of the players on this team is ridiculous, particularly your assessment of BE vs. AK. AK has been given numerous opportunities to prove that he can be effective on this level. Until he does so, IMO he does not warrant giving extensive minutes to. Rather, he should simply be used to give brief rests to BE and BH. You have mentioned before that he was great in highschool. Who cares? There are a lot of kids who were great Highschool players that can't cut it at the D-1 level...Paul Paradoski who we saw at UMSl is a good example, and our very own DM.

Also, your constant knocks on BE are absurd. BE has made a very quick adjustment to the D-1 level coming from JUCO. He is a solid offensive presence, and his defense and rebounding have begun to improve (you can't even use the Kent St. game as a measuring stick).

Finally, your sarcasm isn't humorous to anybody..."The easter bunny is not coming to any games either"...really? Reading your first 5 posts thus far on this board I just shake my head in amazement...

3.pt.daddy or should I call you Mr. Knollmeyer? Adam has had some opportunity not alot but some and he has shown close to nothing. I think he can contribute at some point if he works hard but saying he should play over eberhardt is ridicolous. BE is our third leading scorer and shooting 50%. He is the PF the bills have been looking for for a long time. Polk is the closest thing we have to a Point Guard and the closest thing we have to a leader. Also the majority of College basketball teams start three guards or 2.5