Sporting News blog projection

Ty Renfro

Per our SLU hoops blogger at TSN:

A subjective Saint Louis season preview

Filed under: Billikens Liddell Lisch RickMajerus SLU SaintLouis

Oct 22, 2007 10:57 AM | 12 views [report abuse]

St. Louis -

Following one of the most tumultous off-seasons in the history of the Saint Louis program, the Bills hit the hardwood for the 2007-08 season looking to not only post back-to-back 20 win seasons, but to end an eight-season NCAA Tournament drought.

While the big story this season will be the backcourt play of guards Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell, the bigger story, literally, is the hiring of head coach Rick Majerus.

Lured away from his position at ESPN, Majerus brings instant credibility to Saint Louis, and a sudden national interest in the Atlantic Ten Conference. Majerus will tilt with the likes of Sean Miller at Xavier, Karl Hobbs at George Washington, and the match-up even Dick Vitale wants to see -- Majerus vs. Phil Martelli of Saint Joe's.

The eyes of the college basketball world will be on Majerus this year, and with that comes two early contests that will challenge the Bills. An early November game at Pittsburgh, and a Dec. 4 battle with fellow Jesuit institution Boston College in Chestunt Hill. Both schools have made deep runs in the NCAA Tournament over the past couple of seasons and are led by two of the premier recruiting coaches in college basketball, Jamie Dixon and Al Skinner.

While many publications call the loss of C Ian Voyoukas a loss for the Billikens, that could be the understatement of the year, as many Saint Louis fans saw better production in "Waterworld." Voyoukas went from maybe first or second round NBA prospect to EuroLeague journeyman in one season, which probably cost him millions of dollars. Voyoukas was seen in the Simon Rec Center the night before SLU's epic bout with Tyler Hansboro and North Carolina, lifting weights in anticipation to his clash with the Poplar Bluff, Mo. native. It didn't work, as Hansboro, who actually prepares himself for basketball in the offseason, dominated Voyoukas inside.

Ian's loss will be felt on the perimiter, as teams would send a second defender down to guard Ian in the low post. With the Voyoukas threat gone, and the weak Bryce Husak down low, Lisch, Liddell and F Luke Meyer will have to work to establish open looks. JUCO transfer Barry Eberhardt will add a power presence that Saint Louis fans haven't seen in a long time, as the departed Brad Soderberg couldn't land a Boeing, more or less a 6'8-6'9 power foward during his tenure, which was a joke.

Saint Louis' big non-conference home game this year will be a Dec. 15 late Saturday matchup against Missouri Valley power and regional rival Southern Illinois. While the Salukis are the darling of the mid-majors, SIU bested SLU in Carbondale last year, and are a pre-season top-10, which will make the taste of revenge even sweeter if SLU knocks them off at the Scott. SIU has historically played poorly in St. Louis, losing the last three games played at SLU, and getting bounced early from the Missouri Valley Tournament.

SOCIETY BASKETBALL

If you think that Jesuit schools produce the best basketball teams, you'll get a chance to back that theory, as Saint Louis plays six of their brother Jesuit institutions over the course of the 2007-08 season:

11.14 v. Detroit

12.4 @ Boston College

12.19 v. Loyola University Chicago

2.7 v. Xavier

2.20 v. Fordham

2.28 @ Saint Joseph's

Recruiting problems under Soderberg will haunt Majerus this year, much like the Ty Willingham recruiting era at Notre Dame. The cupboard, with the exception of Lisch and Liddell is pretty bare for Majerus, and let me tell you, the words cupboard, bare, and Majerus are hardly ever spoken in the same sentence. Majerus will have to work with a weakling in Adam Knollmeyer, and a soft Dustin McGuire, two players that came to SLU because no other coach in D-I would offer them a scholarship. Thank God that will never be the case with Majerus. The 2008 recruiting class for SLU is one of the best in school history, but that's a season away. For now, SLU will look to improve on a 20-win season, and continue to climb the ladder in the Atlantic Ten.

PREDICTION

Saint Louis stuns the college basketball world early with three wins in three days at the Pittsburg tournament, beating Pitt 65-60. SLU goes into a Dec. 4 clash with BC undefeated, but falls back to earth. At 11-1, SLU is ranked #25 as it takes on #5 Southern Illinois and shocks the Salukis at home in a rout,80-58. SLU enters A-10 play ranked in the AP Top 20 and continues to roll through the A-10, stumbling on the road at Dayton, and losing a heartbreaker at Hawk Hill.

SLU captures the A-10 Tournament in Atlantic City and comes in an 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Overall regular season record will be 28-2.

in short...

SLU will have lots of problems in the paint, forcing the guards to exhaust themselves trying to get open. SLU has no real big and the 4's they have are soft. They should upset everyone, be ranked, and win the conference! Why didn't this guy mention their guaranteed final four appearance!

I think it's a pretty bold projection/prediction. Most of you guys seem like pessimists anyway, so more power to the blogger for trying to be upbeat.

I watched a few games where Knollmeyer and MacGuire played, and I think he's right by saying they fit the mold of a Soderberg recruit, but would have never seen a Division One court under Majerus. I think a re-shuffling of the deck would be good. Reed, Conklin, etc will be better.

i think it is pretty insulting to the players (past and present) and program overall and i would hope slu contacts tsn and raises holy hell to the point that blogger is shut down. disgusting public offering. rarely do you see anyone that previews their own program go out of their way to that degree to embarrass and belittle people specifically.

Whoever wrote this is an absolute idiot. I can only assume it is the IDIOT Metz. Only Metz can insult the whole team (except for Tommie and Kevin)and the former coach in one idiotic blog!

I have to say it's quite embarassing that the guy who is our respresentative at TSN can be such a ######. Is it really that hard to write a honest review without personal insults? It's not. Metz is obviously a very insecure man.

i think it is pretty insulting to the players (past and present) and program overall and i would hope slu contacts tsn and raises holy hell to the point that blogger is shut down. disgusting public offering. rarely do you see anyone that previews their own program go out of their way to that degree to embarrass and belittle people specifically.

It has actually become a game on this board to figure out which new poster is Metz, sort of like "Where's Waldo?". One thing we do know is that the tsn blogger is Metz, and the most disappointing aspect of the old blowhard's approach is that he is a very poor writer. The paragraph concerning Ian is among the most disjointed pablum I have read in a long time. As usual, his attempts at humor fall flat. In short, he is making SLU alums look like idiots. Either stick to straight reporting on your lame blog or give it up, man.

Based on your recent posts I am sure you are Metz the Moron!

Why can't you find someone else to insult other than our Billiken basketball players. It really is an outrage that you would post these insults on a public forum and try to disguise them as some sort of a legitimate analysis.

So many things in that Blog scream Metz. The rediculous shots at BS, Ian and others but the tell tale sign is the pointless Notre Dame reference. Or maybe the tell tale sign is the lack of rational thought. I can't decide. I hate to even bring up the guys name because he obviously just feeds off the attention. Mommie didn't give him enough attention when he was a child.

All I can do is laugh when I read this article. First I can't understand how this "mystery blogger" can claim Ian got owned by Tyler Hansbrough. Anyone who watched that game caught a glimpse of what Ian was capable when he knew all eyes were on him. I checked the box score for that game Tyler- 15pt and 13 reb, Ian-14pts 13 reb. In the end, that UNC team was just deeper and more balanced then we were (which is evident in UNC having three starters, and one man off the bench score in double figures as opposed to our two double digit scorers).

Then this same blogger goes on to acknowledge that Ian was a legitimate enough scoring threat to merit double teaming which open things up for everyone else on the court. Damn talk about a flip flopper.

Although I love the prediction of going 28-2, I could do without the hate on former players, and players who we have yet to see play significant time i.e AK, and DM.

other small issues I had:

"Adam Knollmeyer, and a soft Dustin McGuire, two players that came to SLU because no other coach in D-I would offer them a scholarship"

If I'm not mistaken AK originally verbaled to Mizzou or at least was offered a schollie there so...

"Recruiting problems under Soderberg will haunt Majerus this year, much like the Ty Willingham recruiting era at Notre Dame. "

Who was the one to recruit Brady Quinn again? Oh yeah....

Aiight that's enough from me. Check ya fact sheet homie!

what a joke.

i wish it was, but if you click on

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Heating%20Up%20The%20Frost

you will see that it really is posted at TSN for all the world to see. that is embarrassing. one would think TSN would have a little bit of editing sense. instead the casual fan outside of our billiken nation might actually take stock in that post.

to make matters worse, right beneath it he has posted two other blog posts that are just as bad.

i wish it was, but if you click on

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Heating%20Up%20The%20Frost

you will see that it really is posted at TSN for all the world to see. that is embarrassing. one would think TSN would have a little bit of editing sense. instead the casual fan outside of our billiken nation might actually take stock in that post.

to make matters worse, right beneath it he has posted two other blog posts that are just as bad.

Roy people realize it is just some idiot's blog and will not take it seriously. That said, I do regret posting the link asking for a blogger for the team. I thought some student might like the chance. I forgot Metz had so much free time.

Roy people realize it is just some idiot's blog and will not take it seriously. That said, I do regret posting the link asking for a blogger for the team. I thought some student might like the chance. I forgot Metz had so much free time.

At least on this board you can keep him on some sort of a tight leash.

I wonder how many times he's seen AK and DM play or practice. To knock them like you knock a overly payed pro is way out of line.

He lists the Yankees as his favorite baseball team....enough said.

Is anyone else curious as to why exactly Ty Renfro was banned? He didn't say anything offensive, he didn't make personal attacks on any poster, and didn't do anything else that could be taken as malicious. Is just being Metz enough to warrant a ban?

Personally, my thought is- who cares? The board has been slow the past couple months leading up to the start of the season, there isn't much to say, not much to read, not much to discuss in depth, and many of the back-and-forth discussions have been unnecessary bickering. Ty Renfro, if nothing else, was instant entertainment. The shameless plug to the Sporting News blog was a source of even more entertainment. I know Metz is billikens.com public enemy number one, but he's harmless. Now whenever anyone comes on here talking trash or stirring things up or making nonsensical comments, the Metz witch hunt kicks into full gear (and plenty of the instigators have not been Metz). I just think that so many people are attached to the notion of hating Metz that any negative comments on here get filed under "Metz."

His presence is honestly not such a bad thing- he is entertaining, and undeniably a huge SLU fan. Say what you will about him being annoying, off base, overboard, nonsensical, unintelligent, verbose, ill-informed, or whatever other accusations you can toss that way, but he doesn't deserve to be banned and every poster who voices dissent isn't Metz (though sometimes it is). What is the fun of a one-sided discussion, anyway?

Is anyone else curious as to why exactly Ty Renfro was banned? He didn't say anything offensive, he didn't make personal attacks on any poster, and didn't do anything else that could be taken as malicious. Is just being Metz enough to warrant a ban?

Personally, my thought is- who cares? The board has been slow the past couple months leading up to the start of the season, there isn't much to say, not much to read, not much to discuss in depth, and many of the back-and-forth discussions have been unnecessary bickering. Ty Renfro, if nothing else, was instant entertainment. The shameless plug to the Sporting News blog was a source of even more entertainment. I know Metz is billikens.com public enemy number one, but he's harmless. Now whenever anyone comes on here talking trash or stirring things up or making nonsensical comments, the Metz witch hunt kicks into full gear (and plenty of the instigators have not been Metz). I just think that so many people are attached to the notion of hating Metz that any negative comments on here get filed under "Metz."

His presence is honestly not such a bad thing- he is entertaining, and undeniably a huge SLU fan. Say what you will about him being annoying, off base, overboard, nonsensical, unintelligent, verbose, ill-informed, or whatever other accusations you can toss that way, but he doesn't deserve to be banned and every poster who voices dissent isn't Metz (though sometimes it is). What is the fun of a one-sided discussion, anyway?

I think Metz is a complete d-bag and if I met him after having several cocktails in me, I'd probably get arrested. That being said, I don't think he did anything recently to warrant a ban.

However, I think a lot of people on this board have gotten to the point where they would rather bicker than actually talk basketball. I've tried to throw billiken basketball discussion points out there, but nobody picks them up. Hell, even when we FINALLY had a legit discussion going, half they people responded with "this is a dumb topic". I don't get it. If this place is the best Billiken basketball discussion forum on the web, it really does show how small time we are.