MAC lunch

Major Majerus

Seriously it was a lot of fun. The man can really talk. He would ramble on to a question,talking for 10 min. going in 5 different tangents. Points that I can remember. If he had to pick a starting lineup today{and he doesn't}-Polk at the 1-Kevin 2-Tommie3-Luke 4-Eberhardt5 or Eberhardt 4 Bryce 5 with Luke coming off the bench. He seemed to like the idea of Luke coming off the bench. Loves Tommie and Kevin. Will try to get them the most shots. Said we may try to sign 1 or 2 more players. Gave the impression that Paul E's scholarship would be a 1 year deal as he will work on studies for med school. Thinks we will have a regular season game with Memphis in 3 years{next year they come here for a scrimage} Hopes to be in the Maui Classic in a few years. Doesn't like A10 but it's where we are at. Would like to be in Big East. Has ideas about future he will share with Biondi. Stressed achedemics over and over. I'm sure Roy or others there will fill in. He sure can talk and talk and talk.

[

He was unbelievably candid with his opinions. Didn't pull any punches. Very refreshing, humerous and not politically correct. As candid as Whitey after a few hours of drinking. This is going to be a fun year.

i thought of the whitey comparison as well during the session.

i am not going to present some of my takes simply because he asked us, timmermann and the media to not. thus, he obviously spoke as candidly as he did out of that trust and i wont be the one to break it.

that said, i will say some of his insinuations and statements surprised the hell out of me.

i will say and i dont think i am breaking any vows with this, kevin lisch is without a doubt his favorite player.

the one statement he made about kevin that i think was neat, someone had asked about what he thinks the record for this season would be and who our toughest game will be with and like willie said, he went into a rambling 6 directions stream of thoughts.

but he said (and i am paraphrasing) that kevin lisch doesnt play against xavier or st bonaventure. kevin lisch plays himself and always leaves it all on the floor. that is what he wants from every player.

just a fascinating guy. i would guess a night (and it would be a long night) at humphreys with coach majerus would be a dream night for any basketball/sports nut.

this guy will own this town. and it is more than the nightclub act. he obviously loves and knows basketball. this is better than i ever imagined.

one last line:

majerus was answering a question about recruiting. and he was talking about the difficulty it is to recruit to the likes of slu or utah or ball state. he said kentucky and ucla and north carolina dont have a clue of what recruiting is. he said that recruiting to kentucky or ucla is like recruiting an alcoholic to a new year's eve party.

My personal favorite story was the one regarding Al Maguire.

He was talking about a night that Al met his girlfriend in 1974 and Al leaned over to Rick to say, "Rick, never marry a beautiful woman."

Rick asked, "Why?"

Al replied, "Because a beautiful woman might leave you. Of course, an ugly woman may also leave you...but who cares."

i thought of the whitey comparison as well during the session.

i am not going to present some of my takes simply because he asked us, timmermann and the media to not. thus, he obviously spoke as candidly as he did out of that trust and i wont be the one to break it.

that said, i will say some of his insinuations and statements surprised the hell out of me.

i will say and i dont think i am breaking any vows with this, kevin lisch is without a doubt his favorite player.

the one statement he made about kevin that i think was neat, someone had asked about what he thinks the record for this season would be and who our toughest game will be with and like willie said, he went into a rambling 6 directions stream of thoughts.

but he said (and i am paraphrasing) that kevin lisch doesnt play against xavier or st bonaventure. kevin lisch plays himself and always leaves it all on the floor. that is what he wants from every player.

just a fascinating guy. i would guess a night (and it would be a long night) at humphreys with coach majerus would be a dream night for any basketball/sports nut.

this guy will own this town. and it is more than the nightclub act. he obviously loves and knows basketball. this is better than i ever imagined.

one last line:

majerus was answering a question about recruiting. and he was talking about the difficulty it is to recruit to the likes of slu or utah or ball state. he said kentucky and ucla and north carolina dont have a clue of what recruiting is. he said that recruiting to kentucky or ucla is like recruiting an alcoholic to a new year's eve party.

BRoy,

To your point about a night at humps with the Coach and it being a dream night for any sports nut...

After the luncheon, he offered the following:

-host an alumni night on agreeable date in October

-starts 1/2 hour before practice ends

-alums invited into the closed practice

-party continues after practice in WPG

While I don't work for the U, if they were smart, they'd take this and run. Beer, wine, cheese...maybe ravioli for Rick. Keep it easy. But lots of opportunities to chat with the coach over a beer on his home turf -- the gym.

There is no better front man for us with alums than RickMa. He offered this up without being asked. WOW.

Since there will be no midnight practice event when practice season officially opens, this kind of event will easily make up for it. Has potential to be even better.

-that would be a cool event, if it happens, and lunch was a cool event

-whatever tv station gets the local games would be nuts to not have at least a 1 hour season preview show with rick doing 90% of the talking (if the tv jock could put away their ego and just go for the ride)

-4 segments, 4 questions with his answers in 12 minute blocks would be must see tv, no editing would be necessary if on late night!!!!

-i'll just say i was shocked about the story of the iowa strength coach and very pleased rick has what he thinks is a great strength coach

-rachel diener may have one of the best situations going in being his admin

-i bet some of you have attended games where there were less people than were at lunch today

-this could be real fun

-whatever tv station gets the local games would be nuts to not have at least a 1 hour season preview show with rick doing 90% of the talking (if the tv jock could put away their ego and just go for the ride)

-4 segments, 4 questions with his answers in 12 minute blocks would be must see tv, no editing would be necessary if on late night!!!!

-i'll just say i was shocked about the story of the iowa strength coach and very pleased rick has what he thinks is a great strength coach

-i bet some of you have attended games where there were less people than were at lunch today

-this could be real fun

While this sounds great, could see what a logistic problem it could be. 800 people show and expect to actually talk to RM and when they can not then they go away pissed off. If SLU wants to do something even closely connected to this they could simply hold a drawing among season tix holders/Billiken Club members or I guess alums if they wanted and pick 30 -50 names or 1/2 that and allow each person drawn to bring a second person. This way, you would really get a chance to actually talk to him in a meaningful way.

-this could be real fun

I have been going to SLU games for 45 years plus and have never seen a home attendance that was less than the number of people at the luncheon. Even at the darkest times the team drew well over that.

I have been going to SLU games for 45 years plus and have never seen a home attendance that was less than the number of people at the luncheon. Even at the darkest times the team drew well over that.

cheese, i guarantee you that ekker had games in the arena that had less than 400 people. slu stats may say otherwise, but that would have been a lie.

cheese, i guarantee you that ekker had games in the arena that had less than 400 people. slu stats may say otherwise, but that would have been a lie.

1,000 at the Checkerdome looks worse than other arenas. Recall a very snowy night around 1985 at the Kiel where there may have only been 400 but that was more the snow. Curious, how much did/does West Pine hold? 1,500??

1,000 at the Checkerdome looks worse than other arenas. Recall a very snowy night around 1985 at the Kiel where there may have only been 400 but that was more the snow. Curious, how much did/does West Pine hold? 1,500??

While I admit that I did not make it to every game over that time period, I never saw a crowd as small as Roy is suggesting happened. I agree that trying to estimate a small crowd in a big arena is very misleading.

That was a night that all fans in attendance were treated to free hot choclate. In addition the upper bowels were blocked off -- everyone sat courtside.