AD positions

slu72

No doubt a very difficult job, especially at the big money institutions. But to think that every AD in the nation has complete and utter authority over a school's most public face, ie athletics, is naive. Boards, Boosters, Presidents all have tremendous influence. Was Bob Huggins fired by UC's AD? No, it was the pres, she didn't like the image his players bought to UC. Did UC's AD fire Kennedy, after he took over and did a pretty good job under difficult circumstances? No, she didn't want any links to Huggins. Did Booby K get canned by IU's AD? No. This goes on everywhere. CL made a good move, and she handled herself with dignity and grace over the last two months. It could not have been easy for her to be at RM's press conference wearing a big smile. It obviously was not easy for her to go to the BB banquet, knowing the axe was about to fall on a man she liked, respected, and backed to the point of becoming a lame duck AD. Billikan and maybe a few others on here are the only ones who could write an accurate history of the events over the past few months, but I think it would all shake out that SLU acted just like most institutions that had taken a big money gamble, ie the Arena. They'll find a replacement who will relish the opportunity to be in charge of every sport but hoops. Hopefully this person will have CL's skills to raise money and continue the success that some of the lesser programs seem to be making. I would hope they would continue to push for the women's hoops program as that too can be revenue generator for the school. I also hope they have a yen to market the program, although RM seems to be doing a good job in that area all by himself. This can be a good position for a savvy person. First, if RM has the success we all hope he has, this will be a positive reflection on any new AD. Athletics at SLU didn't take a step backwards today, it just entered a new phase. A phase not unlike those exisiting at schools all around the country.

It's not that the decissions are ultimately made by the Pres. with probable input from big money boosters. It is how it is gone about. I don't know Biondi, but from my advantage point, he's an egotistical jerk, and Burwell's comparison to Steinbrenner is probably pretty close to acurate. Imo this situation should be an embarassment to all SLU Alumni and fans.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

There are coaches that are bigger than ADs ...... most have legendary names and nicknames that need nothing further. The Bear. JoPa. The General. Ara. The Wizard of Westwood. Coach K. Woody. Bo. Eddie Robinson. I challenge anyone without looking it up to name the ADs at those times at Alabama, Penn State, Indiana, Notre dame, UCLA, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan and Grambling. You might get one or two, but not many more. It takes a special person to stay out of that limelight as much as it takes a special person to live in it. I don't know which one Cheryl was. I don't think her decision was based in any way on being the one in the spotlight, but rather she saw that she did not have control over the main revenue producer at SLU. If your *ss is on the line for a product or promotion or mission, and you don't control the variables involved in that mission, I think you hit the road. If you don't, your destiny is pretty much being written for you and you will leave -- probably unwilling --- at a later date.

I won't argue the many avenues of "influence" in a program and the balancing act one has to maintain amongst them. However, I think Cheryl was completely either out of the Soderberg decision, or had all her input ignored. Sometimes you work in a position where, even after you give your best analysis and input to a situation, that input is marginalized and even ignored completely at times. If you can't handle that, you got problems and need a venue change badly. I like what Roy said somewhere about Biondi needed to convince Cheryl that this was her decision as well and that didn't happen. Maybe he tried and she would not budge. Oh well .... we are where we are so deal with it.

I was standing with Cheryl when she was telling everyone in AC that this was Brad's first ever 20-win season. She was extremely proud of that and related that Soderberg was quit eemotional over it as well. She gushed about the season despite the obvious ups and downs and I think that was in part to us winning one more game than most expected in AC. Bu tI thought the comments she made about Brad were quite genuine and heart-felt and she (at least) was confident in Brad's ability to knock one out of the park for the upcoming November signing period. She knew that the late signing period was also crucial but thought there was some good hope on the horizon.

I mentiton that because it appeared to me that this was a person in touch and in constant contact with the sole revnue-producing sport at SLU. It seemed to me that she was convinced, most likely by Brad and staff, that we were just about over the hump and November would be huge. Who was I to disagree? The regular boosters in the group, including Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin and Tom Timmerman, did not seem to disagree either. I still had that "show me" attitude and "I'l believe it when I see it" but with the confidence expressed in that group, I was certain as they and said yes to another year of Brad. Then the canning .... long after typical cannings get done.

I think that was done because one of the promises had to have been "watch our spring signing period." When all we got out of that was Relphorde and Mitchell, I think that made some get Biondi's ear and push the move. Given what I had heard in March, I am not surprised if Cheryl didn't back the move. I think she had already had her discussion with Brad and even believe she went so far as to say "one more year" or something to that effect. But in some ways, she made a promise to Brad and I don't see her as going back on that word. So if she's as strong a person of character as I got the impression she was, Timmerman and the others are right in asking not "why" but "when."

Conferences and meetings are networking opportunities and, given that we all agree she was doing a great job, her meeting up with Yow and talking about this is not surprising. Yow, having been in the same situation with the same boss, and given Cheryl's rep and credentials, may have pounced knowing the time was ripe.

I admit to initial fret when Soderberg was fired. As I've said before, Majerus is about the only hire that could have come in and taken off as we have seen. I will admit to fret now, having had some contact with Cheryl. But .. this too shall pass. While we all like the buzz Majerus has been to date, verbals included, we could all turn very quickly if the resutls on the court are not better than what we just ushered out the door. It's still "just win" baby.

Big name coaches, the one's Taj mentions above, will most always rule, and their relationship with the AD is at best, "buddies", not boss employee. Am sure this played into CL's decision. RM had the free pass into Biondi and was probably told anything he wanted didn't have to be approved by CL. But again, this is not unusual where a prominent HC becomes the face of the school. Play word association with the following: Alabama-Bear Bryant, Duke (prior to the Lacrosse fiasco)-Coach K, and so on. In all cases the coach eclipses the AD, tough to handle, but boosters would rather play in the foursome with the HC than the AD. Without another major sport to manage, CL clearly saw her opportunities as limited. Too bad, from all reports she did a great job. She just backed the wrong pony. But I don't see this as a real big setback.

a lot depends on the next move imo. if we bring in a total yes man that does nothing more than scheduling and does nothing to continue to advance the other sports as cheryl obviously had done, it will be a disaster long term. i believe majerus will always be a success. he is just a successful coach that will always win. but if the athletic dept isnt set up for post majerus, we will have to hit another homerun with the next coach to maintain any sort of status quo.

cheryl was working towards building a strong athletic dept that would allow casual fans everywhere to completely respect slu in every sport. that kind of an atmoshere generates winning attitudes and brings boosters, fans, and credibility to the program. time will see what biondi does. other than finding majerus biondi has been a total disaster in the last 3 months and this athletic directorship can be vital to our sports programs.

After reading the TT article today I have to conclude that some just don't like Biondi in the press. By that I mean, they could not wait to paint the situation in a bad light. Now I am not saying that there is not a kernel of truth to some of what they said but I have learned that all situations are complex and have multiple faces. When Brad was fired, everybody was quick to say that it was stupid and how much Biondi was out of his element and the program was going to hell in a handbasket. Biondi lands Rick and all of a sudden the the tables are turned but I think some simply could not let it go. They continued with their inferences about CL needing to leave and being stripped of everything of meaning. Yes, you can paint a dire picture for the AD job but you could also paint a rosier one. As AD at SLU, you get to run a program that is being infused with more money, more focus on upgrading other sports, a men's and women's BB program that are moving forward and into areas neither have been, and a chance to work with a high profile coach who can get you access to other bigger jobs if you and him hit it off. All high profile jobs have these disagree moments it is just that when they happen they are not this public.

I would contend that when CL went to Biondi and told him she could not sell the naming rights to the arena and wanted to hire an outside firm to help her that she started the problem. This signaled to Biondi that she had a ###### and that he better start to worry over the whole arena and money issue. He lands Chaifetz and in the process he starts to talk with his big money people who tell him the reason they have not ponied up yet is because they don't like Brad and where the program is headed. Biondi finds out that he has a lot more at risk than just the arena but future money. They tell him that they will pony up for a high profile coach but Brad has to go. He is a realist and figures out that for the good of the program and SLU Brad has to go. CL disagrees but she already had diminished herself with the arena naming thing. Like I said, to say this was simply the result of Brad being fired is being simple minded about it - these situations are complex and often hinge on things that are obscure to those not associated with it.

Hiring RM does not make the way he handled the Brad firing any better. It just makes us forget about it a little quicker.

He fired a coach and his staff long after he should have made the move. Leaving them in a very difficult position to look for new work. In doing so he alienated and marginalized his top female employee (something any Catholic institution should be very wary of). This employee just happened to be the most successful AD the school has ever had in raising the level of non-revenue sports and the most successful fundraiser ever in that position.

He has also managed to anger multiple property owners around the campus. It is so bad that they fear speaking on the record about him for fear of retribution.

People expect better than the above from a Catholic priest

As I think we all can understand, for a woman like CL who was trying to get herself and her abilities noticed on the national scale, I would be pissed too if someone above you didn't let you do your job. You can't actually think that she would stay after being disrespected like that. CL was one of the best things that could have happened to our AD--as detailed on stltoday.com. I think Maryland is a great fit for her and I'm sure she'll be fantastic there (and I'm not just saying that because I tried to get a job with her....I didn't get the job, but I still have a the utmost respect for her and what she has done for SLU). I just hope that Biondi can find someone quickly that is able to handle all of these new stresses (new coaches, the arena, etc). Hopefully we can attract somebody by having Majerus.

We are really losing something special with Cheryl leaving, but maybe we'll meet up with her again if SLU plays Maryland in the NCAA Tournament :)

Cheese, I agree that was the situation Biondi faced. Not sure about the naming thing. If CL failed or what there and how much that had to do with the whole deal. But if you have the $$ and were looking to make a gift, you would be hard pressed to like the situation we had developing under UB. No appearances, no recruits to speak of, etc. I think the doubts about him started to surface after the ST. B and DU losses in January coupled with the lack of one recruit in the fall and the two of his spring projects going MIA. Folks just couldn't picture him as the guy to take us to the next level or anywhere else except down. Biondi found himself in between a rock and a hard place. Actually, you may have to give him credit for giving UB 6 weeks after the season to show him something...anything. Instead we continued to lose recruits. It became clear he needed to be shown the door. And CL follows shortly thereafter. No surprises here really.

>Hiring RM does not make the way he handled the Brad firing

>any better. It just makes us forget about it a little

>quicker.

>

>He fired a coach and his staff long after he should have

>made the move. Leaving them in a very difficult position to

>look for new work. In doing so he alienated and

>marginalized his top female employee (something any Catholic

>institution should be very wary of). This employee just

>happened to be the most successful AD the school has ever

>had in raising the level of non-revenue sports and the most

>successful fundraiser ever in that position.

>

>He has also managed to anger multiple property owners around

>the campus. It is so bad that they fear speaking on the

>record about him for fear of retribution.

>

>People expect better than the above from a Catholic priest

>.

The actions of Biondi were really double edged swords, if all of these didn't happen there would be no advancements for the school and the athletics program especially basketball. We would be talking about the same Ho-hos with no excitement and anticipation of the incoming NCAA season..

I don't totally agree with everything he has done, but I have to say I am not bored..

The how Biondi does things is why he is not acclaimed universally as a great leader. All this shows is that Biondi like all leaders they have foibles - his is he is an action oriented guy who once he makes up his mind will steam roll everyone who tries to stop or slow him down. I remember somebody telling me that depending how you choose to see it a strength or a person's characteristics are either eccentrics or preferences. Biondi is not perfect but sometimes it takes a strong person to wrestle an institution into the 21st century. I do agree that at some point the institution can tend to be rubbed wrong by this style. Biondi needs to start realizing this but who knows if he can. While the ends do not justify the means - this situation is by no means equal to Hitler's actions which is when that statement usually surfaces. Lets move forward - I liked CL but sh** happens as they say.

He is first and foremost a priest and a leader of a high profile Catholic institution. People rightfully expect him to behave differently. What he has accomplished is fantastic. The school and the basketball program are now better off because of him. But, he should have handled himself better in many instances. If he wants to act like a take no prisoner business leader, I don't have a problem with that. He should just stop wearing his collar and stop being a Catholic priest.

.. what's the obsession with being a Catholic priest? And when you say that, are you wishing he emulated the characteristics of Christ or emulated the characteristics of numerous Catholic priests who molested and sexually abused their altar boys over the years? What if some of the fiction outlined in "The Da Vinci Code" were real?

On the other hand, I think you are absolutely correct in calling for him to toss the collar in the long run. In today's all-the-more-secular world, it would appear that being a priest and being a CEO for a major metorpolitan corporate player (who would deny SLU is that?) are mutually exclusive and cannot co-exist on the title line of one's business card.

We'd all like to think the the Church and it's leaders are a cut above the Karl Ichans of the world. We'd like to think they are basically good hearted men for others.

Unfortunately the Church and the University are big time businesses. They do a great deal of good and some bad, like most other big businesses.

PS If the Universty was run by the goody goods that we'd all like to deal with, it would be a one room school house surrounded by gladiator academy style public housing........

To live by. I brought up the fact that he is a priest and runs a Catholic institution because that is what he is and what he does.

Nice job taking shots at the churh and dragging every priest in sex abuse scandal Taj. Good work my man.

I think the two can co-exist and do co-exist. I am not calling for Biondi to quit or leave the priesthood, but it would be nice if Biondi could learn to deal with people better. Everything he has accomplished could have been done without him making as many enemies as he had.

Excellent example Bonwich.

Times have changed and I understand that. But people want to and deserved to be treated with basic decency. People should not be afraid to go on the record when they oppose Biondi because they fear retribution from him. I don't believe he created this feeling on purpose, but the feeling is there. It is result of the way Biondi treats people.

Fr. Graham at Xavier and Fr. Wild at Marquette seem to be pretty effective university presidents without being almost universally despised.

When Chaifetz's donation to the arena was announced, much was made of his difficulties in paying tuition while he was a student at SLU - Fr. Reinert allowed him to stay anyway. It made me wonder, would Biondi do the same for a current student? I'm guessing no.

.... I gave you one man at a crossroads ... go left to Christ-like characteristics, go right to sex offender traits. I did not bring every priest into the sex abuse scandal, I only asked a tongue-in-cheek question. You made the interpretation.

Now what is there to make me think you are not interpreting what it means to be "a Catholic priest" and applying it to all priests as a general rule. There is no general rule, fiction can be written in either direction. Some go on to mention Reinhardt. I had great times and great respect for Frs. Boskin and Boland as well. The best priest I ever knew died at 33 when I was in grade school. The second best I ever knew also died at 33 when he was the spiritual advisor to our frat at SLU. The previous best priest I ever knew was later convicted and defrocked for engaging in the sex abuse side of the order. Go figure. Its a matter of interpretation, don't be so literal.

I think you raise good points. But I do not subscribe to the belief that you can apply priestly countenance to business dealings and vice-a-versa. Eventually, you are going to have to choose between two definition of the "right" thing. How you justify it and live with yourself is purely up to you.

Didn't I read somewhere on here some alums bemoaning the fact that SLU had unceremoniously cut its religious ties due to some issues with the TIF credits for the new arena? Something about state grants going to private bodies or something of that sort and SLU lawyers argued against it? Something like that? I'm not saying Biondi is right or wrong. I am not saying you are right or wrong. And I certainly don't care if I'm right or wrong.

You may not like the style but you really can't argue too long on results. Biondi has the golden rule down pat .. he who has the gold rules.

the Lay board was established long before the Tiff and before

the hospital was sold; many schools such as Northwestern of the Big Ten and Washington University in St. Louis and Harvard

started or had religious ties in the beginning; some of these

still show in the traditions of the schools and the curricula. Your

generalizations are really off topic. Could we stick to athletics and Men's basketball; I don't like and agree with many of the decisons of Biondi-who I refer to as the patron saint of Landscapers-but I do like the step up to solve the scheduling problems when our nemisis owned the Savvis and wouldn't give

us Saturday nights. We needed our own arena due to the fact that this short sighted city tore down the Keil and the Arena and signed papers with the Clark property owners that no other citiy

owned building would compete if a new venue was built for the Blues. Biondi did what had to be done; The campus more than

rivals Wash U in greenery and that also is a major improvement for midtown. CL had driven off lots of detrators in the AD and the lack of PR and TV and Radio made her expendable. Debbie Yow

and Woolard both got more out of the local media. If Biondi has

a media problem, CL certainly was part of it

Not off the top of my head .... but you are right in the fact that I digressed and will stop this nonsense.

Rich said Biondi was a capitalist. Brian wants him to be of more priest-like qualities. You've got him as saint of the landscapers. Depending on what side of the issue you're looking from, one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. I don't know how much more of a spectrum we cover. But it illustrates my point: beauty (or fill in other term) is in the eye of the beholder.

Back to Billiken basketball.