Paul Eckerle commits to SLU

At least for this year.

The key part " Saint Louis University head men's basketball coach Rick Majerus announced that 6-foot-1 guard Paul Eckerle has signed a financial aid agreement to attend the University and play basketball for the Billikens." That is the exact same wording they used for Dixon.

"SLU made it official that Paul Eckerle, the all-Metro second-teamer out of Borgia, will be on the team next season. Since the letter of intent period is over, Eckerle has signed a financial aid agreement. He already was going to SLU as a pre-med major. Now he’ll be doing it on an athletic scholarship.

That leaves SLU with one scholarship open for next season."

The way I read that report, it appears Paul Eckerle will be a scholarship basketball player. That is, it looks like he will be there on a basketball scholarship rather than an academic scholarship.

If so, Rick Majerus has one scholarship left to give for the 2007 recruiting class or five for the 2008 class.

Guest BillikenReport

Eckerle will be on athletic scholarship as a freshman.

If his athletic scholarship is not renewed for his sophomore year, he can go back to using his partial academic scholarship. The talk on this board that Eckerle had a full athletic scholarship was not accurate. That's why it has taken this long to sort through this.

The story is up on my site.

- Nate

So, what's the story with Ekerle? He has some real impressive high school stats and is an unbelievable student. Why hasn't he garnered much interest? He doesn't even have a profile on Scout.

Either way, I'm real excited about the signing. He will bring intesity to practices and is reportedly really athletic. Averaging 24 pts/game is pretty impressive as well.

Guest BillikenReport

>For both sides. We have the open scholarshop this year.

>Paul gets a year of free education. If he really shows

>something next year he gets four years free and if not he

>goes back to his partial academic scholarship.

That's exactly right.

- Nate

I like him because he is extremely athletic and he can shoot from downtown. If we have to play smaller, it never hurts to have as many shooters out there, especially with tommie and kevin, who will command so much defensive attention.

bad boyz for life

if it is truly only for next year, i am fine with that. might as well fill up the bench plus it would allow him to participate with the basketball team offseason and live with the team. but if it is a full four year scholarship, i think that is a wasted scholarship that i felt certain majerus could do better than going forward. the last thing we need is another too small wing with no point guard skills for 4 more years instead of another liddell or lisch like player or better yet an inside player that can rebound and play defense.

Guest BillikenReport

>You wrote, "The talk on this board that Eckerle had a full

>athletic scholarship was not accurate."

>

>Did you mean to say, "full academic scholarship"?

Yes.

- Nate

In my view, this is the type of player that has the potential to be more than an end of the bench guy and it is great the we have him on the team for next year. After next year then the coaches will be in a position to decide whether he can be a contributor in the future. I think it is terribly unfair to put him down on the same day he signs. Let's welcome him with open arms and then see how it goes this year!

i said it is good to have him for this coming season.

but i dont want to commit to him for four years as i expect better than that going forward.

i would love for eckerle to prove me wrong.

I'm with Roy. First signs of an upgrade and pull that athletic scholarship. It appears that we've upgraded our recruiting capabilities (i.e. RM and assist. coaches). Let's push the envelope to see what we can get.

Strength and wisdom are not opposing values.

Since PE is outside the signing period, he cannot sign an LOI, but instead the financial aid agreement - just a technical point.

Now, I will disagree somewhat with previous posts on suceeding years. He has accepted a BB finaical aid agreement and will suit up as a freshman.

If the scholarship is not renewed BUT he takes an academic grant in aid of some type AND he plays basketball in suceeding years, he WILL count toward the 13 scholarship limit - regardless if he receiving a BB schollie or not. So, if his scholarship is not renewed, he will not be on the team most likely.

This is an NCAA rule that makes some sense. It keeps programs from "loading up" certain sports with players on schollies meant for other purposes.

On Sky Frazier, I heard he was in St Louis and will play at UMSL or possible Webster.

if you have a source for your interpretation please provide it but I find it hard to believe that Majerus would offer him a scholly if it means that next year if he wants that scholly back Eckerle has to leave the team.

Are you sure about that??? I thought the rule was just just to prevent someone from receiving an athletic scholarship in a different sport and playing basketball too. For example, if you receive a partial soccer scholarship and play basketball then you will be counted against the maximum 13. I can't believe that receiving an academic scholarship would make you count against the 13. I'm sure that most of our previous walk ons received a partial academic scholarship and they never counted against the 13. Could someone please clarify this?

Another area signing. I used to think people had a problem with my post because I was touting local guys and they thought that the area didnt have a great reputation for area talent or the talent across the river was better. Now I'm guessing its because they thought I was saying they should offer too many guys. Maybe they were right about it being too many guys. Things are looking good though. A lot of area talent. Here's to bringing in Josh Harrellson and Scott Suggs in the 2008 class.

Are you sure P-diddy? I asked Mizzou officials and he just has to play one year. That's what I was told by their NCAA compliance guy.

Why do you think he has to play two years?