Meeting With Eagles

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't a serious issue. It clearly was and is one of the things that RM had written into the contract that the school would be responsible for. If Biondi had continued to refuse to pick up this expense SLU would not have landed Majerus or any other high profile coach. It was an issue. It does not excuse all of Brad's deficiencies.

If the cell phone "was" such a big issue for Soderberg and his coaches, then he should have started thinking outside the box to get it covered.

Why didn't they approach a cell phone provider and offer them "free" advertising in exchange for phones and usage. What would it have cost? 4 coach's x $100/month x 12 months = $4,800. Plus they probably could have gotten "free" text messaging services.

Seems like we had a few cell phone providers advertising at the games...

2+2...

Excuses are for losers and this one falls into that category.

soderberg paid for his and his assistants cell phones out of his own pocket.

soderberg never complained about it. the fact he had to pay for it himself though was an illustration of the small timeness of the slu program pre-majerus.

I said right in my post it didn't excuse Brad. It was a sign that the program was backward for a long time. Maybe you should have flew your idea by RM in the contract negotiations. I don't think RM would have gone for that. In a program that wants to be big time, you have to act big time. We are finally starting to act like that.

If you look at big time programs, you'll find most of them bartering with their sponsors for items that they need/want - cell phones / vehicles / travel arrangements, etc. - in exchange for advertising, promotion tie-ins, etc.

SLU needs to think outside the box in this area.

Skip Guy - the next big thing(s) that they need to improve upon is Sports Information/Media Relations, Marketing & Promotions.

Heck, I'd do the the marketing & promotions for a % of the action. I think I could come up with more idea's in one week than they have come up with in a year.

how much of our "poor marketing, game events" are due to no money to work with and/or the fact the whole athletic dept is so short staffed they operate under crisis management which doesnt allow for suitable planning?

i think most of the athletic dept are good people and are agressive and want to exceed, but when you constantly operate under the thumb of cheapness and the lack of opportunity to plan, not much more can be expected.

to succeed in that area, just like the basketball operation, the budget has to be increased, and long time experienced successful personell need to be hired to direct the staff already in place and allow them to thrive. until then, i dont care who you bring in, they wont have success.

I will say though that his "corrections" have become a source of great humor and entertainment in my section.

My favorite instance was when Guy said, "One minute remaining in the half," and a voice from my somewhere behind me responded, "Correction. Two minutes."

nobody can f up names and humiliate little kids better than guy. we should be proud and consider ourselves lucky to have him.

the fact he really knows very little about basketball shouldnt really matter. i would think in time he will catch up.

"the fact the whole athletic dept is so short staffed"

Easily correctable and you don't have to increase the budget to do it.

They don't need to increase the budget in this area to get better results. Think outside the box. Hire interns to do alot of the legwork that needs to be done. Just make sure you have someone who is compenent to manage them.

I'm very familiar with this concept from following minor league baseball for years. Every minor league team operates under the same concept. It would be very easy to adapt this type of approach to SLU.

Barter, Barter and once you've done that - Barter some More.

Where did anybody say that it was a consiracy against SLU? Even Roy said it's Soderbergs own fault if he didn't play the game. And not playing the game is what put us in this situation.

However, we've had SEVERAL people on here comment about some of the AAU people. BrianSTL, while being a Brad supporter at times, has never given any indication of somebody who posts BS. The great and omnipotent PDiddy has even commented on the situation.

Are you now calling PDiddy a liar and conspiracy theorist?

Several coaches are "unimpressed" with Majerus? I'd love to see who these AAU types ARE impressed with.

We all know where you stand on Brad, KShoe. But how can you be taken seriously when...with everything that has come out lately...you maintain that all failures at SLU were Brad's and Brad's alone. If it was, then why the hell did Majerus take so long to sign his contract? Your narrow mind is making it more and more difficult to take your posts seriously.

>Nate, I asked this question last week and didn't get an

>answer---who are the Eagles coaches/staff who played at SLU?

Bauman,

If you asked me last week, I must have missed it. Sorry about that.

I probably don't know all of the coaches in the system, but Corey Frazier (17s) and Erwin Claggett (15s) are both "head" coaches in the Eagles organization.

I believe John Redden and Matt Baniak are involved in some capacity, as is Scott Highmark.

I could be missing some or some of these guys might not be involved anymore.

- Nate

you are going to have to show me where I called P-Diddy a liar.

No, my comment was more in relation to the theories abound that the reason we lost recruits like Roundtree was that we weren't willing to dip in the "slime" to talk with AAU coaches. Nevermind that we have been able to offer scholarships to freshmen like Griffey, Suggs, Brandenberg etc. as Sophs yet somehow we weren't able to recruit Roundtree because all the AAU coaches (many of whom are SLU grads) hate SLU. Yeah, all that makes a ton of sense.

p.s. if Majerus really did schedule a face to face then blow them off for 45 minutes without calling then that is very poor form. Doesn't matter who you are and what your reason is, being 45 minutes late with no apologies wouldn't impress me.

Nashville, its obvious you now have some personal vendetta against me. I won't bother to try and figure out why but I'll suggest you don't bother reading or responding to my posts. Believe me, there are plenty of posters that I largely ignore at this point so maybe you could do everyone a favor and either ignore me or stop reading between the lines so much as to accuse me of calling Pdiddy a liar.

I think you are right on Kshoe. Sometimes it seems that people make more of things than they probably actually are. Regarding Torres he may or may not have started out wanting to go to SLU, but if Brad wanted him he could have offered just as he did others. Imo simply said Lowry did a better job than Brad, if Brad wanted him. It also goes the other way. Stemler went to Indiana, and it couldn't just be he was awed by Indiana, hell it's Indiana and Sampson has coached in the final 4. It had to be Brad blew it, including all the ##### about having to see him 7 times, which i probably BS.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

roy, you've been accusing Lowery of breaking the rules for some time. Maybe he's just cashing in on the fact that Carbondale has been a good team for several years running.

Seriously, do you have any proof at all...or is he just guilty because they're successful?

Hey, maybe the NCAA will come down on them some day. I'll wait for that to happen before I accuse him of cheating. If they do, I'll tip my cap to you.