Meeting With Eagles

I heard some disturbing things concerning Rick's meeting with the coaches from the St. Louis Eagle's. Apparently Rick showed up 45 minutes late due to showing a player from Gateway around campus. Rick did not bother to call the coaches to say he was running a little late or anything of that nature. The coaches were not real happy with this and when he finally arrived they were unimpressed with what they heard. Take is for what its worth, just found this very interesting. Looks like Rick may have dug himself a bit of a hole with the local AAU coaches.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

word on the street is that a couple of the coaches are mad anyway because jamal walker wasn't kept on the staff. those are probably the ones who are "unimpressed." They would have been "unimpressed" with Coach K. and Billy Donovan under those circumstances.

bad boyz for life

I took it all with a grain of salt, but thought it was at least worth posting. The story I heard was from the wife of one of the coaches who came away unimpressed. It seems like a lot of these AAU coaches are very high maintenance and constantly need their egos inflated. I am extremely happy with the hiring of Majerus and I have to believe any talented player in the area would be as well.

I think your story is more accurate p diddy.

I wish we could keep Jamal Walker on the staff too. I don't know about his skills as a coach but I do want to eventually have a home grown SLU head coach.

what is disturbing imo is that we are getting vibes that the aau folks were instrumental in soderberg's undoing, and now we hear they are already throwing their weight around with majerus. somehow this tail wagging the dog has to stop. who's best interest is being served? it sure doesnt sound like the kids.

Well it sounds like p diddy kind of downplayed the situation from what I was told, so I would not look into it too much. The woman I talked to may have exaggerated the story a little bit and made it sound like all of the coaches were not real happy with Majerus. I do agree that it is frustrating that these Eagle's guys think they are so big time and need to be constantly massaged by the staff of SLU or they start bitching and moaning.

This goes along with a post I had last week that, IMO, a lot of these guys are real scum bags. What weren't they impressed with? The guys SPECTACULAR winning percentage? Not impressed with his list of NBA players? Not impressed with his hard stress on academics? No, sounds like they were unimpressed that a top 100 prospect was making a campus visit and the poor guys had to wait a few minutes. Yeah, let's steer kids away from this Majerus guy. Let's push them to SIUC where there have been some legal troubles and nobody has made the NBA. But hey, Lowery didn't make us wait.

Exactly, what is there not be impressed with when it comes to Majerus. A lot of these AAU coaches have such a false sense of significance and superiority. The woman said that her husband and the other coaches were very upset that he was so late without calling them and that when he finally got there he did not deliver much of anything for them to be excited about. Like I said, take is for what it is worth. P Diddy appears to have a better handle on things and he said the coaches were aware that there was a recruit on campus and most of them were not in the least bit upset about him being a little late.

it was pointed out last week by a poster (i dont remember who realized it) that of our 6 area players on the roster (lisch, liddell, polk, meyer, knollmeyer and maguire) that soderberg recruited all 6 via direct contact with the family of the player. we know that he was also recruiting the brad 5 in the same manner. and all at once we hear that those kids had went sour on soderberg.

if it is discovered that the real reason those kids and others turned on the program was because soderberg didnt want to recruit via the street agent aau coaches, that is a sad testimony on those aau representives. again i ask, who's best interest were they acting in?

in fact, think about roundtree. the whole roundtree now makes complete sense. soderberg was probably waiting for the dates he could contact roundtree directly. lowery was using the street agents to make contact and in turn you can bet that those same carrier pidgeons were injecting their slant in the message. who loves you baby? well of course our man in carbondale.

it is quite sickening. i feel for today's coaches. majerus is doing the necessary evil. good for him. i know i couldnt do it.

>Well it sounds like p diddy kind of downplayed the situation

>from what I was told, so I would not look into it too much.

>The woman I talked to may have exaggerated the story a

>little bit and made it sound like all of the coaches were

>not real happy with Majerus. I do agree that it is

>frustrating that these Eagle's guys think they are so big

>time and need to be constantly massaged by the staff of SLU

>or they start bitching and moaning.

Some Eagles supporters, ALL of them female, have been in multiple verbal altercations at AAU events this Spring so far where fans have been tossed. They are a dedicated, rowdy and generally speaking harmless good bunch. Quiet and understated they are not.

Roy, I believe there is some validity to what you are stating, especially with respect to the kids' best interests. However, i don't think Sodie was an innocent bystander (in other words, Sodie could have tried to smooth things out). In fact, if Sodie wasn't using every available (and legal) contact like Lowery, then that is Sodie's fault. Everyone isn't always out to get SLU.

while i agree if soderberg wanted to be a top division one coach, he had to dip his foot in the slime and do whatever is necessary (i.e. play ball with the aau coaches) to succeed. now let's get off soderberg. and look at the real question we should be discussing.

my point wasnt to excuse soderberg, my point is to direct attention to the fact that the aau coaches apparently want to call the shots and when a division one coach tries to not utilize that avenue, instead of acting in the kids best interest (roundtree said he really wanted to go to slu) they direct the kid to a lesser option. that's right?

"my point is to direct attention to the fact that the aau coaches apparently want to call the shots..."

I agree with that.

"and when a division one coach tries to not utilize that avenue, instead of acting in the kids best interest (roundtree said he really wanted to go to slu) they direct the kid to a lesser option."

I agree that it appears that AAU coaches don't always act in a kid's best interest. I have no clue if they are directing kids to options other than SLU and i'm not in a position to say that those other options are lesser than SLU.

when i said that, i meant in the recruit's eyes. if the recruit says "i really want to go to slu". and then because the slu coach isnt an active "user" of that aau rep, the rep says, you really should talk to xyz college instead (and that is because xyz is an active user for that rep). that is imo, less than what the recruit wanted and that steerage isnt right. a true advisor for that kid would try to make that happen. not go in another direction.

I think the perception about summer coaches on here is incorrect and some people are getting a bad rap because of it.

I don't see summer coaches steering kids to one program or another. Some people here may want to add that to the list of why the program wasn't more successful in recent seasons — you can put it underneath cell phones — but I don't see it.

Are you going to say the Eagles made Tyler Hansbrough go to North Carolina or David Lee to Florida? How about the Gateway Basketball Club steering Alex Moosmann to Miami of Ohio instead of accepting a walk-on role at SLU?

Who is the most famous Eagles alum? Where did he go to college?

Guys like Scott Suggs, John Brandenburg, Torres Roundtree and Jesse Perry are going to go wherever they want to go. Teams like the Eagles and Gateway Basketball Club provide many kids with the ability to be seen in front of college coaches from all over the country. If there is any steering going on, its by these clubs trying to use their connections to get kids into colleges and good situations to better their futures.

The St. Louis Eagles, in particular, have several coaches/administrators who PLAYED at St. Louis U. and are season-ticket holders for Billikens games.

And you're going to tell me that those people who try to steer kids away from SLU?

I don't like using the term "AAU" because it's not accurate. But it's a shame that the actions of a couple summer-league coaches (the Myron Piggies of the world) across the country have to negatively reflect on everyone else that try to help kids get free educations through the sport of basketball.

- Nate