The new Arena

bauman

I was getting tired of all the BS doom and gloom and V's new favorite hobby of telling us which WOMEN Shimmey nees to recruit, so I used Nark's link over to the SLU Home site, then to the Arena section.

A couple of points jumped out.

1) Where's the close parking? The Olive garage isn't very close (by Scottrade standards) and won't hold nearly enough cars. The Metrolink isn't walking distance and street parking is a. not ample and b. not extremly safe as you get further away from the Arena. Has anyone heard of any plans to rectify this problem?

2) How in the heck are they planning to sell good seats which require a significant one-time (or even annual) premium/donation? If Billiken Club points are going to be the basis for seat selection do they really believe that those donors are going to pony up even more just for the privilege of paying for expensive seats?

I looked around the Scot at the last couple of games and I saw many season ticket holders who will have trouble with walking from the Olive garage to the Arena and most of the season ticket holders I know are not looking to fork out major bucks for tickets. This last point is even more of an issue unless we begin making some real progress in the quality of the product. Given that this Board is not a major part of the season ticket base, it nevertheless represents a significant number of fans and the feelings of that fan base. Unless there is a buzz leading into 08-09 season, which is much greater than the one surrounding the program currently, inflated prices for tickets at the new location will be very hard to push.

SLU should build one of those airport conveyor belt deals between the garage and the Arena. Either that or a little roller coaster train that dumps you into a ball pit full of blue and white billiken mini balls near the entrance.

Old people would have no reason to complain, and the drunks and the little kids would love it.

I'm only half-joking.

That is the main lot planned for the games. I know they are trying to work something out with Harris Stowe to use the grass lot to the northeast, but that seems awfully tough for HS, since they use it as a soccer field. A new lot for high end donors is being constructed just west of the new building, but it will only support a few hundred cars.

From the look of te far away view on the Webcam it looks like that there is a good amount of space between the Apartments and the Arena itself. I am just gonna let the pros do what they do and build this thing. I think when its all done people are gonna be happy.(when i say people i dont include BILLIKENS.com posters because they will always find something wrong to talk about)

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I was on fire, I was hotter than a pistol" Jason McElwaine

If theres no SLU basketball in heaven I'm not going!!!!!!

Official Billikens.com Sponsor of Chris Sloan and Billiken Volleyball

and Official Billiken.com Online Video Guy

While parking may be tight, there is a lot of development taking place north of Olive, just a few blocks from the new arena. Several new bars and restaurants will be opening up in the area within the next few months, so there will be plenty of places to go before and after the games.

bauman, it is my understanding that there will be very few seats with mandatory premium fees. i.e. think the loyal blue seats currently at scott trade.

what you are confusing is billiken club membership puts you first in line.

i dont think there will be mandatory billiken club membership, but if you arent in the billiken club the further back in line you will be regardless of your current seniority.

The way I understand it is that 4,000 seats will command a premium and 6,000 will not. However, keep in mind that the arena will be configured for basketball,not hockey, so everyone will sit 21 feet closer to the action. Sight lines will be great. B. Roy is correct regarding Billiken Club membership and the new arena. In addition to everyone sitting 21 feet closer, the arena will hold 10,000 not 20,000, so even the most distant seat will be considerably closer.

20% of 10,000 equals 2,000. very similar to the first three rows of the scott trade now. maybe a slight increase, but not a lot.

As I understand it there will be parking adjacent to the stadium for premium seat holders who pay an additional amount to park close. This is similar to the present set up @ Scottrade where you can pay additional to park on level 4. There are two adjacent parking garages. One on Lindell and Compton and the other on Laclede just west of Grand. Both are within 2 blocks, and both will be safe walking. I think the combined garages can accomodate the game crowd. Walking in the elements may be viewed as a disadvantage, but judging from our recent winters, I don't see it as a major obstacle.

I agree. I think they are mistaken if they think they can lug 4000 tickets unless the lug is fairly small on most of those tickets. I also don't believe there is a large corporate demand that is going to come in and sweep up expensive court side seats. Someone told me that some pricing guidelines will be out this spring.

i am confused though why center court shouldnt carry a higher price as opposed to say the ends? shouldnt you expect to have to pay more for better seats?

dont we pay extra now to sit in field box seats for the cards as opposed to upper deck terrace reserve seats?

dont you pay more to sit on the 50 yardline as opposed to the ends at the rams game?

now as to what that difference in price is remains to be seen. it was explained to me that the bigtime high priced seats would not be more in number than what there was at the scott trade at the onset.

i think those of us that have been giving regularly at a fair amount will see that the difference is comparable. the folks that are going to feel it are those that havent been billiken club members all along and have been sitting center court and now they want to maintain that vantage. they should be prepared to pay. finally and rightfully imo.

Looking into the crystal ball I think SLU will be able to carry it off. Lets go back to Econ 101. Price point is where supply = demand. We are reducing supply from 20,000 to 10,000. In theory demand is being increased because the arena is on campus. 1,000 seats are reserved for the band, students, and the visiting team, so 9,000 is left for fans. You have the novelty of the new facility, so that will carry for the first year for sure and probably into year 2. On a side note this also gives CL more time to determine coaching, contract extentions, etc. Therefore, initially it will work. After that you then will see more emphasis on product. However, w/ demand so severely reduced mediocrity may carry the day. Dreaming, here is what I would like to see. The NCAA is reducing participation of the mid majors and of the ones included, only 6 are on an at large basis. The tendency is to have the mid majors play each other. Thus they cancel out each other and have less chance for the final 4. This is probably driven by TV. The BCS schools have the larger fan base. The NCAA bought out the NIT to avoid a monopolistic law suit. I would like to see the mid majors ban together and lobby for expansion of the tournament to 128. The NIT right now is throwing an empty bone to them. Expansion to 128 will give them a bigger piece of the action. The coaches will also probably lobby for this as it will be a job saver. Seeding can still be used by the NCAA to keep the mid majors from crowding in on the BCS money pot, but the mid majors will come out ahead as compared to being in the NIT. The post season NIT should be eliminated. A pre season NIT can still be carried on.

Center court will cost more,but how much more? I've heard a lot of different numbers,some of those numbers are ridiculously high. I went to a hockey game a few months ago. Sat in expensive corporate tickets. There was nobody there except for groups of people sitting high in the end zone cheap seats.There is no demand for expensive Blue's tickets and I don't think there is that much demand for expensive Bill's tickets. All your Billiken Club money will do is let you pick before others based on totals. It will have nothing to do with the price of the ticket unless your ticket is built into your Club donation.{tax donation}

or it may cause a fan to lessen their future billiken club donations to offset the higher ticket price needed to pay.

Anybody want to take a stab at a number. For premium seats, what level of Billiken Club membership, what premium amount will you pay either up front or annually, and then what will the tickets prices be per seat. Someone take a guess, because I truly don't know. any thoughts?

I posted this some time ago and hope it adds to the discusion on this...

when i was at Bass Pro I was told CURRENTLY at MOSU men's games, for each seat between the baskets in the lower bowl there is an annual charge of $1250 I think. The lower ends charge per seat is $500, i think, if you can search for posts in the middle of Jan you can get the exact amounts as I remembered it when i initially posted.

I am not sure if SLU can pull this off at this level.

Tonka I've heard a lot of differnt numbers and I don't know who to believe but I think it's going to ba an annual number and not a PSL number. I'm sure from their standpoint they want an annual number to pay off debt service. I have also heard that they will go after a five year commitment. I suppose that means that if after 5 years we become a hot ticket they can up the price or move you out. I just hope CL is very carefull. I know people who left the program after Debbie Yow screwed up our last move. She's got a tough job to maximize revenue without losing fans and support.