Cheryl's performance !

victor

I notice that she has run alot people in her department out of St. Louis. By all accounts she is hard to work for. I have been told by people who have worked for her that she is a micro manager. Since she has arrived at SLU mens hoops, womens hoops and soccer have all gone in the tank. I think she has to be held accountable.

Victor what do you mean by both bball teams and the soccer team have gone in the tank. The men's bball team is looking at a NIT bid at worst. The men's soccer team made the tournament and one a game in the tournament. The womens bball team seems to be in better shape for the future than at any point in its history. The volleyball, women's soccer, and the baseball team all made the ncaa's. SLU has never had for different teams make an NCAA tournament in the same year.

A lot of people needed to be run out of her office.

Post of the day, righthere. We should hold one a day. You win.

Womens soccer program has never been better. Men's soccer program has advanced 2nd round or better in 4 of Donigan's 6 years, and has produced many professional players. 2 quarterfinal appearances. The womens basketball team fired 10 year head coach who not only never won anything...barely won a few games period. The veryu popular new coach is in her 2nd season and off to a good recruiting start.

What esactly was SLU accomplishing before she arrived? If people do not produce, changes will be made, and so far she has been very fair in decions. She inherited these coaches and programs. Let's see how the new womens hoops coach does compared to the old. Not a tough bet. Men's basketball is the highest profile poition at SLU. I guarantee you if they do continuie to lose, we shall see whom she hires and judge those results.

She pushed hard for the completion of the Arena project.

Levick will be held accountable first and formemost for men's basketball and for the athletic dept as a whole. On and off the field/court. Unlike her coaches, she hasn't been around 10 years like the one dismissed, or even 5 like the current hoops coach.

She gets the chance and time to hire her people and see what they can do. That is what is fair.

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/genrel/011107aai.html

SLU Ranks No. 37 in Directors' Cup Fall Rankings

Billikens Sent Three Teams to NCAA Tournaments in the Fall

Jan. 11, 2007

ST. LOUIS - Backed by three NCAA appearances during the fall season, Saint Louis ranks 37th in the fall Sports Academy Directors' Cup standings. The Billikens' 125 points in the fall are the most in program history and leads the Atlantic 10 Conference. In addition, SLU finished ahead of programs such as Kentucky, Texas A&M, Georgia and Missouri.

"This ranking proves what we already know - that Saint Louis University enjoyed its best fall season in program history," director of athletics Cheryl L. Levick said. "Only three non-BCS schools (UC Santa Barbara, BYU and Utah) finished ahead of us. This is a testament to the hard work put forth by the coaching staffs and players of our fall programs."

Saint Louis was one of just seven programs nationally to send teams to NCAA Tournaments in women's soccer, men's soccer and volleyball. The women's soccer team won the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the second-straight year. SLU's men's soccer team was the regular-season A-10 champion and earned a first-round bye in the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament. The Billiken volleyball team claimed the A-10 Tournament title and made the program's first NCAA Tournament appearance.

The Sports Academy Directors' Cup was developed as a joint effort between the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and USA Today. The United States Sports Academy, based in Daphne, Ala., is the program's sponsor. Points are awarded based on each institution's finish in up to 20 sports - 10 women's and 10 men's. Standings published midseason are unofficial. Official standings will be published upon the completion of the spring season.

"The men's bball team is looking at a NIT bid at worst."

Did you mean at best? If the season ended today we would most certainly NOT be in the NIT.

Also, the men's soccer team lost its only game in the tourney, unless you count a gift bye as a win.

>"The men's bball team is looking at a NIT bid at worst."

>

>Did you mean at best? If the season ended today we would

>most certainly NOT be in the NIT.

>

>Also, the men's soccer team lost its only game in the

>tourney, unless you count a gift bye as a win.

Actually the soccer team was extremely successful against one of toughest non-conference schedules in the country, and won their league outright after that. They didn't receive any gifts this year.

hoops I agree.

I think even as bad as this team has played recently it is no worse than an 18-19 win team. That means an NIT bid. I think this team has enough talent to win the conf. tournament. Is it a long shot yes, but it has a chance. Thus it is no worse than a NIT team.

to coin a line from SNL.

has been sound. She develops a five year plan for each sport, and one for the institution as a whole. She is hitting up new funding sources; while not much to start the women's sports scholarship lunch that she threw last year was innovative and productive. Progress is made in incremental steps, and these steps seem to be taken regularly.

The one thing I will say in all fairness reading some of these posts...everyone defines success as NCAA's for the school. I agree with that.

I just hope the dept gets more funding etc...

The baseball team for example obviously plays a much softer schedule and is in weaker league...won conf tourney title etc...and made NCAA's ...baseball team isn't all of a sudden light years than before. The coach still had 17 straight losing seasons against tougher teams. The womens soccer team used to play in a much tougher league which made NCAA invites much tougher than now etc...the men it is and always will be about how they do non-conference, both teams are similar to what they were before.

So..yes more NCAA invites....but there are some teams not much better than before the A10....so in judging Levick and non-revenue sports, I would like to see teams improve regardless of just throwing out NCAA stat. Is the baseball program really that much better? etc...

Not trying to rain on the parade...but as much as I think Levick has done well and will do well...I am all about fairness too.

There is a lot of pressure on SLU's teams to dominate their A10 leagues in many sports, because the leagues aren't as strong(soccer, baseball, etc..)....and so far they are doing that in soccer, have a new coach in womens hoops to turn that around,...volleyball is doing it, ...we will see what baseball holds again...etc...

Obviously men's basketball is the sport that needs to get it done for the others.

All of you that have jumped to the defense of Cheryl, I ask you to consider this.

Sure, we improved in all of the smaller sports like you have described, including women's basketball. But in reality, WHO CARES?!?!

Men's bball supplies all the funding for all the other sports combined. ITS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MATTERS!! Admit to it or not, men's basketball is the most vital, important, and critical task for Cheryl and she has failed so far in that department. Attendance is the same, spirit on the campus is the same, nothing has changed.

Its nice to have a 19th place finish in women's soccer, but that ain't puttin any money in the athletic departments bank reserves. Its ALL about men's basketball...even if you don't like to see it that way, its the sad, unfortunate truth.

the foundation for the success of the womens soccer program was laid by Woolard. They were damn close to making the NCAA tourney before Levick came on board (should have made it in 2004). Coach Champion has done an amazing job building that program into a strong one, it didn't happen overnight when Levick came on board - he would have gotten the last 2 teams in the NCAA's regardless of conference or who the AD is. The foundation for success of Volleyball was also laid by Woolard and the hire of Coach Kordes, who was going to take the progam to another level regardless of conference or AD.

Dropping down from CUSA to the A-10 has definitely been a positive factor in getting the NCAA invites. Programs were recruiting for a higher level of competition, and when the move to the A-10 occured many teams were in a situation where they had higher levels of talent than A-10 programs did.

The next step for the women's soccer is to procure the maximum number of scholarships like the men's team has. Coach Champion has done a great job of recruiting, but his job would get a lot easier if he had more scholarships to offer.

BTW, the first recipient of the "Get in the Game" scholarship (for women's sports) that CL instituted took first place in an indoor track meet last week. Hopefully, we can continue to fund additional scholarships for both men's and women's sports.

Anyone with just half a brain understands that the men's bball program has the lone opportunity to generate significant cash for the SLU athletic dept.

But all SLU programs have to successful as well. It is CL's stated goal to have "every" SLU team be in the top tier of the A-10 standings.

If your men's bball program is strong, and if all of your other sports are top tier programs in their respective sports ...... then when the day comes that there is another conference realignment.....SLU will have positioned itself to be a part of something bigger and stronger.

Canadian....you asked who cares....well, I certainly do, and I'm not the only one!

If you only want to concentrate on the Mens BB issue then all that can be said for her time here is that Brad went 9-21 and 16-13. She did not hire him to start with nor did she have any choice in giving him an extenstion that was dictated to her when she arrived. So to place Brad's performance as her failure is wrong. She inherited him and will ultimately have to get rid of him and hire her own if he can not get his situtation turned around.

Actually the athletic department has made it very easy to support teams other than men's b-ball. They offer an all sports package for $125 that provides tickets to all SLU events. Additionally, you received a couple, I don't remember the exact number, of points for the Billiken Club point system.

If you haven't attended a v-ball, women's b-ball, or soccer match, you've missed on some good, cheap entertainment.

canadian said,

"Interesting. I did not know SLU offered that."

which tells me you are not a men's basketball season ticket holder or billiken club member either because we are swamped with that offer each year when we re-up for both.