Recruiting 2015

Honestly, do you really believe that all the freshman are not going to be better after a year of D1 ball? I mean, is that an honest statement of what you truly believe?

Yes. Just getting older doesn't equal getting better. I think I was pretty clear on that.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Just getting older doesn't equal getting better. I think I was pretty clear on that.

Ok. Then you and I are at polar opposites in terms of our evaluation of athletic and general progression of human beings based on practical experience.

Ok. Then you and I are at polar opposites in terms of our evaluation of athletic and general progression of human beings based on practical experience.

Then why wasn't the team better at the end of the year? If all it takes is playing in games?

6 freshmen, at least 3 or 4 will be clearly better next year. Hopefully, 2 or so will take giant steps.

3 sophomores with little experience going into this year, 1 or 2 will be better next year, hopefully 1 will improve dramatically.

3star_recruit, on 17 Mar 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

Apparently, the staff is showing interest in Chicago Uplift's star player, Jeremy Roscoe. He was clutch down the stretch in defeating Christian's Williams' St. Teresa squad. Athletic combo guard who averages 14 ppg and 4 apg. Needs to achieve a qualifying test score.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-0315-prep-boys-basketball-state-notes-20150314-story.html

Roscoe, a Class 2A Associated Press honorable mention all-state selection, has to improve his ACT score. He plans on retaking the ACT in April.

Saint Louis and Wisconsin-Green Bay both have expressed interest in Roscoe, Taylor said.

"I need to get an 18 on my ACT," Roscoe said Saturday. "I'm tutoring for it right now."

I know it was just one game but he looked really good in the championship game against Williams. But it seems that Williams is clearly the better player.

Physically and mentally spent with about 5 games to go. Better eating habits, training and lifting will improve this.

I believe a guy like Roby will buy into the offseason program, but I have a hard time believing that kids that didn't buy into the in season program are all of sudden going to buy into the off season program.

I have listened to the criticism of the freshman AFTER all the praise they received in the recruiting process. I also distinctly remember some posters commenting negatively about Loe, Conklin, Jett, etc. after their first seasons. I even remember people b!tching about Lisch being too slow/unathletic to be effective. Same for Highmark.

This group of freshman has played ONE season with effectively ZERO senior leadership and minimal playing experience from other players (sophs, juniors). Just like the the posters who were ridiculing Taj for doubting our inclusion in some kid's top 144, this is the same thing. Last year, many of us (including me) bitched about playing time for the sophs. In retrospect, it got us to the tourney, but it clearly hampered development of the sophs.

Here is the bottom line: let's give these kids (remember, they're 18 to 19 year old teenagers for the most part), and their coaches, time. I never expected more than a .500 season, so maybe I am not so hurt and depressed based on this season, but I think everyone should take a step back and consider both the history of the program and the reality that SLU is not a destination school for top 100 players and THEN come to conclusions about where the program stands.

If we land a great top 100 player because someone leaves, great, but, at the end of the day, TRUST THE PROCESS.

The same process by which a team showed no improvement over the course of a season?

The same process that led to the complete lack of development of the sophomore class?

The same process that delivered an 11-21 record against a horrible schedule, and last place finish in a down conference?

The same process that has us justifiably skeptical about the ability of our incoming recruits?

Time and time again, you call yourself the realist and point fingers at the rest of us. But what do you see or what do you know that we don't?

Youth is not an excuse when our team was so dramatically outplayed by other young teams. When we have a program that has reached the NCAA Tournament three years in a row, we should be recruiting the level of talent that compensates for youth. If you want to give Crews and these kids time, just how much time are you willing to give them? I remind you that we've seen absolutely no sign that Crews and his staff can recruit or develop talent. None.

I want nothing more than for this season to be an anomaly, just a rare down season in a much improved program. But I see no signs of that being the case. I've watched a lot of different teams this season, and our freshmen look like high school kids. I've also watched a lot of players that we recruited at one time or another and failed to land; and a lot of them are a lot better than the guys we finally did sign. And Elliott freaking Welmer isn't the answer.

I hope I'm wrong in the long run. I hope this crop of freshmen (a few of whom I actually do think should be good players) explode. I hope our 2016 class is ridiculously talented. For now, though, I just can't lie to myself. Our players simply aren't as good as those on the teams we're losing to, and we have a coach at the helm who hasn't shown the ability to coach them up.

I agree with the "trust the process" thing but:

1. There has to be a process to trust. And that process has to be good.

2. All of the players have to trust the process starting now or they need to leave. We can't go through an offseason with guys who won't trust this "process".

brianstl's point is valid. If Crews is right and there are guys not trusting the process during the season, it's hard to imagine them doing it in the offseason. I hope they saw how ###### this season was and they all buy in to a system that works.

Finally, fans can trust the process all they want, but it all comes down to the players and coaches doing it 100%.

I believe a guy like Roby will buy into the offseason program, but I have a hard time believing that kids that didn't buy into the in season program are all of sudden going to buy into the off season program.

You have a hard time, period. Nothing but brutal, negative posts.

What kids didn't buy in? Name them. You do not know. You "have a hard time..."

You have a hard time, period. Nothing but brutal, negative posts.

What kids didn't buy in? Name them. You do not know. You "have a hard time..."

So you are calling Crews a liar?

Now you want posters to take shots at individual players on the board?

Agree-it was difficult to watch other teams with freshmen make progress through the season. Is it talent , the system, or coaching . Really had hoped CC would have been able to coach up some of the youngsters. Like others have said what did they work on in practice?

How many teams played with 4 freshmen on the floor most of the time?

UAB and their roster is amazingly similar to our's. Two seniors one (one who didn't really play and one averaged 18 mpg)and even a jr transfer who led the team in minutes.

The same process by which a team showed no improvement over the course of a season?

The same process that led to the complete lack of development of the sophomore class?

The same process that delivered an 11-21 record against a horrible schedule, and last place finish in a down conference?

The same process that has us justifiably skeptical about the ability of our incoming recruits?

Time and time again, you call yourself the realist and point fingers at the rest of us. But what do you see or what do you know that we don't?

Youth is not an excuse when our team was so dramatically outplayed by other young teams. When we have a program that has reached the NCAA Tournament three years in a row, we should be recruiting the level of talent that compensates for youth. If you want to give Crews and these kids time, just how much time are you willing to give them? I remind you that we've seen absolutely no sign that Crews and his staff can recruit or develop talent. None.

I want nothing more than for this season to be an anomaly, just a rare down season in a much improved program. But I see no signs of that being the case. I've watched a lot of different teams this season, and our freshmen look like high school kids. I've also watched a lot of players that we recruited at one time or another and failed to land; and a lot of them are a lot better than the guys we finally did sign. And Elliott freaking Welmer isn't the answer.

I hope I'm wrong in the long run. I hope this crop of freshmen (a few of whom I actually do think should be good players) explode. I hope our 2016 class is ridiculously talented. For now, though, I just can't lie to myself. Our players simply aren't as good as those on the teams we're losing to, and we have a coach at the helm who hasn't shown the ability to coach them up.

Tanner is a bust of a recruit. Reggie and Mike showed significant development during this season.

Tanner is a bust of a recruit. Reggie and Mike showed significant development during this season.

Reggie finally put up numbers in a few games in A10 play, but still makes a ton of mistakes and still looks completely lost out there.

I thought Crawford looked basically the same as he did in his limited minutes as a freshman - he just had more minutes. He actually looked like a more complete player in the last game against Duquesne. He looked like a very good freshman to me but didn't have much of a chance to show off (and there's no question Crews should've given him more time, given how inexperienced this year's squad was going to be, and how broken down the seniors looked by the end of last season).

Reggie finally put up numbers in a few games in A10 play, but still makes a ton of mistakes and still looks completely lost out there.

I thought Crawford looked basically the same as he did in his limited minutes as a freshman - he just had more minutes. He actually looked like a more complete player in the last game against Duquesne. He looked like a very good freshman to me but didn't have much of a chance to show off (and there's no question Crews should've given him more time, given how inexperienced this year's squad was going to be, and how broken down the seniors looked by the end of last season).

Man, you will take anything and spin it to criticize Crews.

Man, you will take anything and spin it to criticize Crews.

You should try chillin' the most.

Unlike his players, Crews is getting paid a lot of money. He's responsible for the decisions that get made within the program. The fact that the sophomore class is a bust is on him because he recruited them, and he's the one who is paid to coach them.

• all five starters, gone
  • 6 BIGS, 3 freshmen, 2 sophs with very little experience, one senior role player, limited by injuries to boot (no experienced BIGS = always a disaster... think of Conklin, Ellis, Loe, Evans, Remekun, GG, when they got experience, then we made our run)
  • 6 freshmen, 3 sophs, 2 jr's, 1 senior... a bad distribution of players, a result of the recruiting gap with Majerus's failing health. Sh*t.
  • no senior leadership
  • one junior who played well... though inconsistent
  • so no upper class leadership
  • no consistent point guard emerged from all of the candidates
  • a few players who showed significant talent also tried too hard, led to turnovers and blocked shots

Then, after the grand experiment of using a 12 man rotation failed to identify a solid 8-9 man rotation, the team fell apart the last 5 games, reasons unknown.

We have enough talent (2* and 3* players this board was very pleased with when they signed) and strong coaching to have a good year next year (20 wins) and then to the dance the year after that... The same bunch of loser-whiners on here panic, throw mud, over and over and over... we shall see.