Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

Still a mystery for now - "undisclosed reasons" - but we might know more as of today. Someone with Webster Groves ties on Twitter says he'll announce today. Could be nothing, but he claims to have spoken with him yesterday.

He left on his own; wasn't kicked off or failing out or anything like that. Gordon was never thought to have liked Vianney very much.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still a mystery for now - "undisclosed reasons" - but we might know more as of today. Someone with Webster Groves ties on Twitter says he'll announce today. Could be nothing, but he claims to have spoken with him yesterday.

He left on his own; wasn't kicked off or failing out or anything like that. Gordon was never thought to have liked Vianney very much.

Do you know what the transfer rules are (i.e. whether you have to sit out a year transferring from private to public)?

Do you know what the transfer rules are (i.e. whether you have to sit out a year transferring from private to public)?

According to the MSHAA:

• If you transfer schools, you will be ineligible for 365 days, unless your circumstances meet one of the exceptions listed in the MSHSAA Residence and Transfer Rules (By-Law 3.10). Make an appointment with the school's athletic director to review these exceptions. Several, but not all, are described below.
  • Exception 1: If you move with your entire family to your new school district, you will be eligible at your new school provided you were eligible in all other respects at your former school and provided there are no other issues with the transfer. You and your entire family must move to the new residence at the same time prior to attending classes.
  • Always check with your school principal or athletic director before you transfer to determine whether it will affect your eligibility.
  • Discipline follows a student to a new school. Being expelled from a school also causes 365 days of ineligibility for a student.
  • Exception 2: A student may be eligible immediately at the school of his or her choice upon first being promoted from the 8th grade into the 9th grade, provided the student is eligible in all other respects.
  • Exception 10: Foreign Exchange Students are eligible for varsity competition for one year only and only if they are seniors (semester 7 or 8), provided they are participating in an exchange program listed by CSIET. However, no member of the school's coaching staff for the sport concerned may serve as a host family.
  • You shall become ineligible for 365 days if you transfer to another school for athletic reasons.

In Illinois transferring from Public to private is automatic 1 year sit unless your family physically moves to a new school district.

There is no penalty transferring from private to public.

According to the MSHAA:

• If you transfer schools, you will be ineligible for 365 days, unless your circumstances meet one of the exceptions listed in the MSHSAA Residence and Transfer Rules (By-Law 3.10). Make an appointment with the school's athletic director to review these exceptions. Several, but not all, are described below.
  • Exception 1: If you move with your entire family to your new school district, you will be eligible at your new school provided you were eligible in all other respects at your former school and provided there are no other issues with the transfer. You and your entire family must move to the new residence at the same time prior to attending classes.
  • Always check with your school principal or athletic director before you transfer to determine whether it will affect your eligibility.
  • Discipline follows a student to a new school. Being expelled from a school also causes 365 days of ineligibility for a student.
  • Exception 2: A student may be eligible immediately at the school of his or her choice upon first being promoted from the 8th grade into the 9th grade, provided the student is eligible in all other respects.
  • Exception 10: Foreign Exchange Students are eligible for varsity competition for one year only and only if they are seniors (semester 7 or 8), provided they are participating in an exchange program listed by CSIET. However, no member of the school's coaching staff for the sport concerned may serve as a host family.
  • You shall become ineligible for 365 days if you transfer to another school for athletic reasons.

Seems like the one in bold is his biggest stumbling block - i.e. demonstrating it wasn't an athletically-driven reason.

What's not clear to me is whether you're eligible immediately if you transfer from a private school to the public school within which district you reside. So if Gordon already lives in Webster Groves and leaves Vianney to play at WG, why wouldn't he be eligible immediately (provided he can show that it wasn't athletically motivated)?

• 2 months later...

Yippee-ki-yay, mothafuocker.

Thanks a lot. I've been frustrating myself Googling "bryce willis" for 10 minutes until I realized my mistake.

Anyway, Willis is a big-time recruit for 2018: 6-5 point guard, 4-star player, #69 in the national Rivals rankings, #58 in the 24-7 rankings, and an outstanding student: 95.2% average at his high school, taking all honors classes. He's the full package.

Bryce Wills: PG, 6-5, 175, White Plains, NY (Iona Prep)Offers: SLU, VCU, Fordham, St. John’s, Iona, Hofstra. Interest: Virginia, Maryland, Minnesota, Temple, Boston. Latest News: SLU is Willis’ latest offer, following VCU and St. John’s. Scouting Report: Willis is a big lead guard who sees the floor well and has a steady jumper with range. He’s athletic and a strong ball handler and good passer, but needs to work on strength and decision making, as well as off-ball positioning. He’s #69 in the 2018 Rivals rankings. Twitter: @Bryce_Wills5

Targeting higher-level non-local recruits early is certainly something we are not used to seeing. I like that Ford has a strategy in mind (east coach kids in addition to the regional guys), we will see whether that strategy leads to commitments. I am assuming this is a player Macon already has some familiarity with?

Targeting higher-level non-local recruits early is certainly something we are not used to seeing. I like that Ford has a strategy in mind (east coach kids in addition to the regional guys), we will see whether that strategy leads to commitments. I am assuming this is a player Macon already has some familiarity with?

I would think that it's another Macon kid, but there was nothing about Rutgers being involved with him at any point. Still - I'm sure that's the connection.

The only guy who the Crews regime offered that fit that profile - higher-level non-local recruit - was Nojel Eastern. No word yet on if Ford is refreshing that offer or not. Eastern will probably end up at a top-half Big Ten school like Michigan State or Ohio State, though.

Gordon didn't like vianney because it was Catholic. Why would he go to SLU??!

My guess is that he's emphasizing that aspect (as well as the tuition piece) to get a hardship waiver from MSHSAA, and therefore be eligible to play at his new school sooner.

Also, Gordon isn't the only big-time St. Louis area recruit in the 2018 class. Ramey and Watson are the other two in the 'big three' in that class locally, but there's a lot of potential in the next tier down. This summer will give us more insight as to how strong and how deep the class could be.

My guess is that he's emphasizing that aspect (as well as the tuition piece) to get a hardship waiver from MSHSAA, and therefore be eligible to play at his new school sooner.

Also, Gordon isn't the only big-time St. Louis area recruit in the 2018 class. Ramey and Watson are the other two in the 'big three' in that class locally, but there's a lot of potential in the next tier down. This summer will give us more insight as to how strong and how deep the class could be.

Gordon was smart to catch on with MOKAN Elite this spring/summer. That team is loaded and will get him a ton of exposure.

I was a bit surprised to see that Ramey and Watson stayed with Jets-Ramey United. They are still young and appear to be studs, so maybe it won't matter, but that can't be the best thing for their national exposure. It will be interesting to see whether they play with them next year or join up with Gordon with MOKAN or a loaded Eagles program.

Gordon didn't like vianney because it was Catholic. Why would he go to SLU??!

There's a considerable difference between a Catholic high school and a Catholic university. (And between a Catholic university and a Jesuit university, but that's a different matter.)

Anyway, do you think he'd drop Villanova from consideration?

I assume our first 2019 offer will go to Marcedus Leech, apparently the next star from the state (following in the line of David Lee, Tyler Hansbrough, Brad Beal, Jayson Tatum, and Michael Porter). He plays up with the 16U Eagles and is said to be their top player along with some out of state kids.